• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

WillyW

WillyW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

What if scanners were neutral, in that they provide radar vision for anyone and everyone, even the opposite team? Thoughts?

• CoshCaust likes this

2XhpJes.png

maxajcd

maxajcd

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

i don't think anyone would use them, maybe just alert the enemy if they are on scanner so they know a surprise attack failed, or a continuous pulsing like every five seconds, and then the dot fades away (kinda like CoD radars)

I do appreciate the art, but I don't have time to find anything good. /h/

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts

bad idea.

it just needs to sweep rather than constant.

perhaps they need an anti-scanner internal so if you hate them that much you can blow 3 slots to only appear on radar when you boost/shoot.

• Bergwein, FEF-FEFington and DemitronPrime like this

Flifang

Flifang

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts

I would use the fuzzy bunny out of it. Do you have any idea what an engagement is like when you can know exactly when your target is rounding a corner to smack them with 288 burst damage without an item? I'll give you a hint, it's the opposite of long. I've never used the scanner as a continuous item I've always used it like a one-drop item like all the others. That's when I get the best use out of it anyway but to each their own

Rozn

Rozn

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Could the scanner be made into an extension of normal scanning, only detects appropriate signatures, rather than see everything. So the scanner wouldn't pick up on an mech walking and maintaining radar silence, but boosting and actions that would ping you normally would have the scanner act like any other mech in picking up your signature?

• HugeGuts likes this

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

Interesting idea. It would certainly nerf scanners, but it might make them even more annoying than now in pubs

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

WillyW

WillyW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Interesting idea. It would certainly nerf scanners, but it might make them even more annoying than now in pubs

There may be better ways to fix scanners, but I figure that making them neutral would make their area into a no-fight-zone. People would avoid them like the plague, because they are aware that everyone is getting their location pinged on the mini-map.

2XhpJes.png

TURDxSANDWICH

TURDxSANDWICH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

What if the information the scanners gave was only available to the person who dropped it and the person who dropped it would also show on radar?

• WillyW likes this

4wBdPaU.jpg

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

What if the information the scanners gave was only available to the person who dropped it and the person who dropped it would also show on radar?

Assuming proper use of comms that's still op in comp play

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

PoopSlinger

PoopSlinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
I like this. Everybody wallhax

khn3gAi.jpg?1CitkI9t.jpgGkp2fB7.jpg

Come on Crafty, you have been officially called out on your lies. Your online reputation is at stake here, this is just like an old school street race running for pink slips. Its run what you brung and hope its enough. Put up or shut the fuzzy bunny up.

DemitronPrime

DemitronPrime

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 879 posts

bad idea.

it just needs to sweep rather than constant.

perhaps they need an anti-scanner internal so if you hate them that much you can blow 3 slots to only appear on radar when you boost/shoot.

Winning idea there

Puck Flinging-Nade Lobbing-Troll Tech

r4GY0PF.jpg

::eoc Pred::Eoc/HC Infil::Vulcanador::Hawkins Tech::EOC Raider::

" I play on north American servers with a 200Ping to give you cry babies a chance"

2XhpJes.png

"Nothing says Good morning Like a well placed Nade"

Sam123456

Sam123456

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Too much potential for teammate trolling.

HugeGuts

HugeGuts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Change the Scanner to only ping when players do something that would put them on radar. i.e. boosting, shooting, dodging. Standing, walking, repairing, using items wouldn't trip the Scanner.

Change the Scanner's detection method from omniscient 360 to a sweeping 360.

If that's not enough, then let players know when they are in detection range of an enemy Scanner. Also, show the Scanner sweep so players can counter-play the Scanner.

Edited by HugeGuts, 18 January 2016 - 07:07 AM.

_incitatus

_incitatus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 994 posts

Too much potential for teammate trolling.

Yeah, I'd be pretty irritated to have my position revealed because some skrub on my team dropped a scanner.

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts

Could the scanner be made into an extension of normal scanning, only detects appropriate signatures, rather than see everything. So the scanner wouldn't pick up on an mech walking and maintaining radar silence, but boosting and actions that would ping you normally would have the scanner act like any other mech in picking up your signature?

Change the Scanner to only ping when players do something that would put them on radar. i.e. boosting, shooting, dodging. Standing, walking, repairing, using items wouldn't trip the Scanner.

Change the Scanner's detection method from omniscient 360 to a sweeping 360.

If that's not enough, then let players know when they are in detection range of an enemy Scanner. Also, show the Scanner sweep so players can counter-play the Scanner.

So you fill your item slots with something that does nothing more than what you get with no items?
Also, your alert you are being scanned is the sound it emits, and I think it may just need to be a little more audible.

If you are a range shooter and doing some good suppression you should be able to drop a scanner so you know when the enemy team comes to flank you. What's the point if they can walk up quietly and shoot you without warning.

I originally agreed with making it sweep but after some though I think it should pulse at intervals through all geometry, but constantly highlight an enemy in line of sight.

Scanner detection options:
1) pulse only at 3 sec intervals
2) pulse at 5 sec intervals plus track line of sight
(balance by adjusting/increasing the intervals)

I think it is a reasonable compromise. If no line of sight to scanner, you can reposition a fair distance in 5 sec.
If you are boosting while repositioning then you appear on radar regardless of scanner's presence.

Ideas for private server behaviour customisation:
a) allow server config to insta-destruct placed scanners, effectively banning their use.
b) allow server config to destruct scanners after 1-2 'pings' to limit their effectiveness

Ideas for countering scanners:
i) multi-slot internal that makes you not appear on scanner unless boosting/shooting (lol, what scanner)
ii) radar jammer that when placed prevents your team from creating any radar signature. Similar use to heat charge. Range about half of a scanner/scrambler. Duration 15 sec, model=deployable AoE charge (used for creating a limited time black hole where you can defend a choke point regardless of the enemy having a scanner nearby or ambush an enemy while their team sees nothing on radar)

StubbornPuppet

StubbornPuppet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1508 posts

There's some good stuff in there ^

•  
  • More obvious sound to let you know you are in scanner range, increasing as you get closer.
  •  
  • Intervalled pulses.
  •  
  • Line of sight only scanning so that walls and obstacles block the scan.

• Rozn likes this

To be serious for a moment this is just a joke

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts

I think it still needs to go through geometry.

I think scanner nerf should go in stages.

0) make the sound a bit louder?

1) pulse 2 sec intervals. perhaps add additional sound for pulses.

2) pulse 3 sec intervals

3) pulse 3 sec plus constant line of sight

4) pulse 4 sec plus constant line of sight

5) pulse 5 sec plus constant line of sight

EDIT: pulse through geometry short distance, longer distance line of sight?

Edited by 6ixxer, 20 January 2016 - 08:40 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users