- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

minefake

minefake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Alright, so, I recently purchased the heat cannon for my scout mech, and I'm just wondering, in a fight, would I do more damage by charging up my shots before firing, or just shooting them as soon as they're ready. Please let me know in the comments.

Coboxite

Coboxite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Heat cannon does five more damage when charged up(80 damage compared to 75). However, the splash of the explosion is bigger when charged. Try to get the charge shot in first, then spam uncharged shots. All this goes out the window if the other guy decides to take off.

• FunkMaster67 and minefake like this

n3onfx

n3onfx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Dps is much higher on uncharged but easier to dodge and has less splash. Keep uncharged for CQC, start engagements with charged if possible (basically get in the habit of keeping Mouse 1 pressed all the time when moving). Given the previous, you obviously want to used charged mode in corner poking.

Oh and if you creep up on someone charge your heat, shoot your tow and then the charged heat for a surprise double whammy. If either hits first your opponent has a chance to dodge to cover before the second comes in. 

Edited by neon, 24 November 2015 - 02:04 PM.

• minefake likes this

t

t

DWEH3ZP.png   CRITICAL  RqKpxHn.png    ASSIST   VDNrFxD.png

t

t

minefake

minefake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Alright, thanks to both of you. I had been suspecting that uncharged had higher dps, but wasn't sure. And thanks for the tips.

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

Check out other guides in my signature link. These are Scout and HEAT cannon guides linked conveniently for you.

http://hawken.mirror...at-scout-guide/

http://hawken.mirror...ad-heat-cannon/

https://community.pl...or-new-players/

Edited by Silverfire, 24 November 2015 - 03:11 PM.

• FunkMaster67 and minefake like this

lNM7VnC.png

( ^ click for the EMP song ^ )

Come take a look at Hawken guides | Join me on #hawkenscrim IRC

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

Here's a valuable resource for these sorts of questions. It's not 100% complete, but it's nice to have.

• minefake likes this

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

minefake

minefake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Thanks to all of you for the help and guides.

Merl61

Merl61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts

Heat cannon does five more damage when charged up(80 damage compared to 75). However, the splash of the explosion is bigger when charged. Try to get the charge shot in first, then spam uncharged shots. All this goes out the window if the other guy decides to take off.

This is incorrect. It's 60 vs 80. Uncharged does have higher dps though.

• minefake likes this

jWZL3Hm.jpg

Thanks to Badtings for this awesome banner!

Kopra

Kopra

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

This is incorrect. It's 60 vs 80. Uncharged does have higher dps though.

71.5 uncharged
85 charged

CrimsonKaim

CrimsonKaim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

The OP is fake. I am the real Fake.

And for heat Cannon: Continously fire and you deal more DPS, charge for larger explosion radius, projectile speed and slightly more dmg (+20 dmg .. 70-90 but I am so not sure).

Edited by FakeName, 25 November 2015 - 04:50 AM.

• minefake likes this

- Sitting next to the sound box in Last Eco -

minefake

minefake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

No, me. XD And thanks for the info.?

Edited by minefake, 25 November 2015 - 10:15 AM.

CoshCaust

CoshCaust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Everyone's already laid out the main points:

- Always have it charged in general, first hit should always be charged

- Up close use the better DPS via not charging

- Use the charged splash damage appropriately

What's worth adding:

If your enemies have a clue what they're doing, you will definitely want to be using charged shots at any range other than ridiculously close, as they will otherwise be able to dodge all the slow as hell uncharged fire (except maybe fatties? We're talking using logical judgement here).

If you have more than just a clue what you're doing (like a LOT more, basically you're not ready for this), you can use the uncharged rounds as a utility to put the enemy where you want them; when a player is at a certain level (and you are too), you'll be able to fire one uncharged Heat round and know exactly where the enemy will move to avoid it - the optimal decision to avoid this one attack, without considering events after this movement - that's where you, instantly upon firing the Heat, capitalize on their optimal movement decision [which didn't account for you predicting their movement]- you now know where they will move and have a TOW on it's way.

So why even bother with this strategy if you could have just used a fully charged Heat round to guarantee a [bigger] hit? A) Everything i just explained happens faster than the charge time for the Heat Cannon (this is a big deal), and B) Upper level players are wizards and know [on one of many concurrent paths of consideration] when you would have fired the charged Heat, and may dodge it predicatively- of course that's getting to the ceiling of movement skill, where you understand every optimal decision to be made while at the same time understanding that your enemy knows this too, which means you have to surprise them- leading to in-optimal decisions turning optimal blah blah blah it gets incomprehensible, haha.

I believe the Heat Cannon has one of the highest skill ceilings in the game and is not being utilized even remotely close to that ceiling by any player.

So by all means, dive in and work hard to reap the potential of this weapon- knowing it's difficult to use, but has a lot to offer.

Edited by CoshCaust, 15 December 2015 - 02:51 PM.

n3onfx

n3onfx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

of course that's getting to the ceiling of movement skill, where you understand every optimal decision to be made while at the same time understanding that your enemy knows this too, which means you have to surprise them- leading to in-optimal decisions turning optimal blah blah blah it gets incomprehensible, haha.

That's why the bumrush charge into faceplanting them is the ultimate strategy, nobody expects you to do something that stupid. Works every time.

• CoshCaust likes this

t

t

DWEH3ZP.png   CRITICAL  RqKpxHn.png    ASSIST   VDNrFxD.png

t

t

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users