- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Eickers

Eickers

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I just recently started playing and have been investing most of my time in the Sharpshooter mech. One thing that really bothers me is that there is so much terrain on the maps that completely look like they should be able to be gotten on top of, but alas, cannot. Not having the ability to gain some vertical distance really hinders the basis of the Sharpshooter/Reaper mechs or future 'Ranged' mechs in my opinion. 

Other thoughts?

ticklemyiguana

ticklemyiguana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1257 posts

I just recently started playing and have been investing most of my time in the Sharpshooter mech. One thing that really bothers me is that there is so much terrain on the maps that completely look like they should be able to be gotten on top of, but alas, cannot. Not having the ability to gain some vertical distance really hinders the basis of the Sharpshooter/Reaper mechs or future 'Ranged' mechs in my opinion. 

Other thoughts?

SS shouldn't be played on every map.

Frontline, Bunker, Bazaar, Facility, and occasionally Origin and Last Eco are good maps for SS. That's most of the maps. What they have in common are frequent opportunities for long range engagements. It can be used to good effect on other maps, particularly Wreckage, but there are often better choices.

While you may be used to sniping in some other games being something along the lines of "get a high and discreet vantage point with a good view and wait," sniping in Hawken is more akin to aggressive AWPing in CS, where you actively seek out long range engagements or support your team from behind in firefights.

People that stay still in this game perish due to being overexposed and easy to flank. Don't do that. Play SS as you would an assault, if the assault's weapons were suited for a longer range. When you feel comfortable with that, switch over to the slug rifle and focus on minimal exposure.

Also, only zoom in when really necessary - primarily only when you're firing your secondary. It'll help with your map awareness.

Edited by ticklemyiguana, 22 December 2015 - 08:09 PM.

• JackVandal likes this

Spoiler

LGdSqzD.png

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

Other thoughts?

I think there's a pretty good vertical component on most of our current maps. Personally though I'd like to see another map kinda like prosk where you can hop around on top of a bunch of buildings or whatever.

My opinion here has nothing to do with ss since I've just been picking that up over the last couple months.

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

thirtysix

thirtysix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

As a Predator player, the first mech I seek is the SS or Reaper lurking. If your perched your mine... just a matter of time. Watch for Predators!

• crockrocket likes this

Asus Rampage III Extreme, Core I7 950, Dual EVGA 580Ti, 16Gb G.Skill Sniper, 240Gb PNY SSD, Walmart mic :P~

Pleasure_Mortar

Pleasure_Mortar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts

No matter in what mech, a lone sniper most of the time is an easy and favorable prey.

Just approach from behind walking instead of boosting. 

JackVandal

JackVandal

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 501 posts

I think there's a pretty good vertical component on most of our current maps. Personally though I'd like to see another map kinda like prosk where you can hop around on top of a bunch of buildings or whatever.

My opinion here has nothing to do with ss since I've just been picking that up over the last couple months.

I think it would be cool if the buildings were of multiple heights, instead of one relatively consistent height,

"but the dead horse has been beaten so many times it's practically a pulpy mess in the barn by now."

-M1lkshake

CounterlogicMan

CounterlogicMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Getting back to the original point of OP. I agree that there is a lot of wasted potential on some of Hawken's maps for interesting vertical gameplay. The one that really comes to mind is Wreckage. Especially when it comes to inside the ship near crates and S3 (E2). So much potential for verticality and interesting scenarios were people are dropping/escaping from/to higher levels of the ship. Not to mention near the AA/S1 were there is a plethora of blue barriers that prevent poking at the stage (area outside S2 towards S1). Just one example, though I think Wreckage is a glaring example of this in my opinion. Were it is looking you right in the face, practically is already there, you just cant do it. "wow that would be really cool to climb up and shoot people from...what If I could go up there and attack over it into the point. What if I was up there and dropped down on someone attacking into crates. ETC." To me Wreckage is a great map....but there are a bunch of invisible walls and blue barriers that hold the map back from being something even better.

In my opinion:

Examples of maps with great verticality in Hawken that result in really awesome experiences: Origin , Facility, Prosk.

Examples of maps that have verticality but I feel could be much better by being adjusted to include that verticality more in the flow of the map: Last Eco, Frontline, Wreckage, Uptown

Examples of maps that I think would be benefited by major adjustments to include more verticality: Bazaar, Bunker

What my post really gets at....is I feel personally that Hawken is at its best when there is a lot of verticality on the map. To me it results in the most interesting decisions and combat compared to the maps that don't have much of it. 

Main reason Origin is my favorite map....tons of verticality resulting in a lot of potentially interesting situations/crazy plays.

Also, SS in hawken is more gunslinger like than sniping like. Get used to how quick scoping works in Hawken if you want to really excel at sniping in Hawken. 

Edited by CounterlogicMan, 23 December 2015 - 06:44 PM.

Axe-Attack Check us out! Stream I stream spasmodically.

TPG Hawken Admin.

TPG 3 has concluded! If you are interested in participating in TPG Season 4 gather a group and form a team or try and join an existing team! Stay tuned to the forums for updates on the details of TPG Season 4.

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

If your perched your mine... just a matter of time.

There more I think about this the more I like it. If someone were to do a series of Hawken propaganda posters, this would be perfect.

• JackVandal and Pleasure_Mortar like this

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users