• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Hecatoncheires

Hecatoncheires

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

This is just me sharing an idea. No, I'm not suggesting it is a great idea or that it be implemented immediately, just wanted to share an idea and see what you guys thought of it, and maybe it, or something like it, may be implemented into the game in the future. Yes, I'm aware there are achievements already (but they're not actually that great), and no, I did not do extensive research to see if someone else had already suggested an idea like this before.

Edit: Thanks to Hyginos. Guess there was a thread (by Saturnine) mentioning an idea like this before.

Relevant past thread.

Idea
So the idea is that there would be a new mode added onto Siege, TDM, DM, and MA called Mission Mode, where your goal would be to accomplish missions for a reward. It's a pretty common idea you usually find in App games and such, but I thought it would be a pretty effective way to do several things:

Things
Educate new players on how to play before entering real battle

Upon starting the game, you would go through the traditional tutorial. After completing the tutorial, you would be allowed to play in two different game modes: TDM and this mode, Mission. In order to "unlock" other modes, especially objective modes like Siege and MA, you would need to complete certain Missions (like "stay in the AA with a bot attacking you", "collect energy", etc..)

More examples would include: A mission on stealth/walking, where you would be required to initiate an attack on a bot from behind without being noticed or remain unseen by bots for a certain amount of time; advanced mech maneuvers; defeating an enemy mech with only your tow-rocket; etc. It would be pretty awesome for there to be missions specifically aimed at training players on how to use certain mechs.

There could also be varying degrees of difficulty for those who desire to advance their skills.

Adds Non-competitive gameplay

Sometimes you just want to do something substantial in the game without having to interact with other people or worry about being good enough for your team.

Serve as an additional source of HC

There could be HC rewards, or maybe even items/internals/drones/among other things, for completing Missions as an incentive. Then, upon clearing a select number of Missions, you would be rewarded the traditional 500 MC you normally started out with. I really liked the whole Yeti Hunt thing last December and was inspired by it for this.

Add somewhat of a potential campaign

This mode could contain certain Missions that give you some background on the game's story (maybe there would be one where you need to collect resources for a faction or for a third party)

I've always been a fan of war-stories so maybe there could even be a mode where you replay an event from the history of Hawken. Taking part in a historic war? It would be SO awesome if you were required to complete an objective while in the midst of countless other mechs.

Promote the creation of linear styled maps

Debatable if this is a good thing, but I thought it would be an interesting idea to have a different styled map where players would compete in a tug-of-war-like game with checkpoints. This was inspired by a map I used to like in the game Insurgency (no, I do not know what the map is called).

Linear maps could also be scaled up and even have transforming topography without being overwhelmingly expansive compared to the traditional square.

Other things

After completing a number of missions in Mission Mode, you unlock Team Mission Mode?

This could be a great Mode to place Easter eggs

Imagine a mission where it turns the game into an airship-platformer.

Possibly others, feel free to share your ideas and I'll try and edit them in and cite you if I like them enough.

Cons
Takes players away from PvP.

If there are too many missions, the game mode could potentially overwhelm players and other game modes.

Most likely others.

Edited by Hecatoncheires, 05 January 2016 - 03:07 PM.

• DeeRax likes this

What the Heca-

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

Relevant past thread.

• DeeRax and Hecatoncheires like this

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

Hecatoncheires

Hecatoncheires

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Thank you.

That thread primarily focuses on the educational aspect of the idea, though, but yeah, there are following posts about gameplay for experienced users.

I guess this thread can just be an expansion upon it since I'm more interested in it leading to more diverse content than being primarily for educational purposes. I'll add the link to the post.

Edited by Hecatoncheires, 05 January 2016 - 03:05 PM.

What the Heca-

kaiserschmarrn_

kaiserschmarrn_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

I think a daily/weekly challenge feature would fit in better for this purpose.

• Hecatoncheires likes this

Hecatoncheires

Hecatoncheires

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

I think a daily/weekly challenge feature would fit in better for this purpose.

Hm... that could work, but i'm kind of against it since it  promotes the reward more than the challenge. It reminds me of the game Puzzle and Dragons with its weekly dungeons, but that's mainly arranged that way to control farming.

Edited by Hecatoncheires, 05 January 2016 - 03:18 PM.

What the Heca-

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

Cons

Takes players away from PvP.

I wonder about this one.

On one hand, it may be the case that players choose to do PvE stuff instead of PvP, but the availability of PvE may bring in some players who would otherwise not have played PvP anyway.

• Hecatoncheires likes this

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

Liquid_Speaker

Liquid_Speaker

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

On the idea of past events in a war story, a campaign would be neat to see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users