Photo

DonC's guide to good sportsmanship (Siege)

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

DonCornelius

DonCornelius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
How to avoid being a dink when the going gets tough

1. Team balance

Does one team have all the good players? Is your side full of noobs? These things happen all the time. I challenge you to give me an example of a battle anywhere in human history where both armies were perfectly equally matched. Never happened, never will. You fight a war with the army you have not the army you wish you had. If your team is a man down, keep playing. dont complain. If teams are imbalanced by 2 players, be quick to volunteer to switch sides (F8). Keep the fun alive. We dont want tones of people quitting. We want tons of people playing. Often times its hard to find even one siege server active. Keep it fun for everyone.

Never sit. Always F8.

2. Staying positive

Every siege match will have a winning team AND a losing team. You may find yourself on the losing team. Statistically you will lose 50% of the time. I would like to encourage everyone to stay positive. Do your best at all times. Do not give up. Do not quit. Embrace the challenge of an impossible situation. Fighting against the odds makes you a better player. You can learn a lot from defeat. Quitting only teaches you how to remain a wimp. Is your team a man down and down by 1000 points? Keep trying. Dont ask people to sit out, just soldier on. If you are grossly outnumbered (2v1) (3v2) dont cry. Dont quit. Hit and run. Fight guerilla style till more players arrive. 

Never quit.

3. New players

There will always be new players. Everyone was new at one time. Dont let it get you down. Dont let frustration make you nasty. Polite coaching is more effective than being angry and rude. Say things like "EU now. Stay together for safety." and "AA now. We have enough EU." Say these things over and over and over and over again throughout the match. Use the time while you wait to respawn to type. New players keep the game alive. If you treat new players badly they will go elsewhere.

Dont be mean.

4. Rock paper scissors

Everyone wants to be rock, cries when someone chooses paper. When im getting whooped by scouts do I complain? Hell no, i jump in my rockateer and keep them at bay. Are hellfire missiles OP? Absolutely not. Hellfires take skill to use effectively. Hellfires can be easily defeated in close combat. Next player calles it noobfires is getting slapped. Drop the rock and pick scissors. Nuff said.

Dont complain.

5. Quitting

Dont quit. What are you trying to save, your MMR? Nobody cares about your MMR. When you quit it makes things too hard for your brothers in arms who remain. It makes things too easy for the winning team. Basically makes things suck for everyone. Think of others not just yourself. 

Dont give up. Ever.

6. Cheating Smurfing

a: Dont cheat. Why are you cheating? If you cheat you will never improve your skill. Can you be proud about winning by cheating? Clearly not. It is shameful and you must do so in secret. I have yet to see a cheater proudly admit to cheating. Cheating is lame, knock it off.

b: Smurfing. Why do you smurf? Some folks smurf to escape a reputation for douchbaggery. Some do it so they can play less skilled players. Thats cheating too. Be cool to your fellow players. We are here to have fun and make friends.

Dont cheat. Do you really need to be told this?

7. Summary (tl;dnr)

Be nice. Support new players. Do your best always. Dont quit. Dont cheat. Dont complain.

• Flight1ess likes this

DonCornelius

DonCornelius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

“Do not pray for an easy life , pray for the strength to endure a difficult one”.   ~Bruce Lee

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Most importantly, stop leaving friggin' games. It is functionally impossible to balance this game with this low population with mid-game leavers. And stop doing it 20 seconds before you lose in some spastic fit of pointless spite. Do you hate HC or something?

b: Smurfing. Why do you smurf? Some folks smurf to escape a reputation for douchbaggery. Some do it so they can play less skilled players. Thats cheating too. Be cool to your fellow players. We are here to have fun and make friends.

Orrrrrrrrrrrr they just want to actually be able to get into a game. 

• Flight1ess likes this

DonCornelius

DonCornelius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Being an "average" rated player, this has never occured to me. I am almost never unable to join a match. I have been enlightened. I am grateful.

• Amidatelion and Flight1ess like this

kaiserschmarrn_

kaiserschmarrn_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Kaiser's guide to siege:

Play DM

PoopSlinger

PoopSlinger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Being an "average" rated player, this has never occured to me. I am almost never unable to join a match. I have been enlightened. I am grateful.

There are no longer restrictions on MMR for a match.  Anybody can get into a game by queuing up.

Most people complain about hellfire because if you are a hellfire mech you are doing less for your team than any other mech.

• Flight1ess likes this

khn3gAi.jpg?1CitkI9t.jpgGkp2fB7.jpg

Come on Crafty, you have been officially called out on your lies. Your online reputation is at stake here, this is just like an old school street race running for pink slips. Its run what you brung and hope its enough. Put up or shut the fuzzy bunny up.

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

How to avoid being a dink when the going gets tough

6. Smurfing

you know nothing about style points?

R3eOaFA.png

• Hyginos likes this

EOC Raider, Bolt Pred, Rev Gl Gren, EOC Infil, All the Reapers, Father, Expert in Guitar Kung Fu, and Founder of TPG Hawken

I4U54qx.jpg     bQCgI0k.png   zd30MxR.png   vP7JiOe.png     uq0awfp.gif

lwY3QRd.jpg

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

no disrespect doncornelius, but you seem kinda new at this

you might want to take a look at the actual seige guide here http://hawken.mirror...siege-tutorial/

EOC Raider, Bolt Pred, Rev Gl Gren, EOC Infil, All the Reapers, Father, Expert in Guitar Kung Fu, and Founder of TPG Hawken

lwY3QRd.jpg

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

Bro do you even style points

aLvK2nG.jpg

• CraftyDus likes this

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

Flight1ess

Flight1ess

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

well said good sir

copy paste this on almost every multiplayer game ever 

same rules apply

thumbs-up-matt-leblanc.gif

Life is like a good book,

It makes more sense as you get into it ;D

tumblr_m91v02mYjw1qhnj8eo4_r2_500.gif

CounterlogicMan

CounterlogicMan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

As for OP:

1. I agree with the always f8, within reason like if there is a ship in the air and the base it is heading at only has like 50hp or whatever. Also, maybe consider challenging yourself with a mech you aren't good at, or a weapon combo that isn't really particularly good. Rather than just stomping with your favorite mech and then complain on the forums/ts/game chat about bad players/unbalanced games.

2. 100% agree. I know it is hard to stay positive when losing, especially in really bad situations, and when you are a really competitive person. As I think a lot of people who play Hawken, and fpses in general, are. 

3. Yes, please be nice to new players and/or players not as skilled as you. Cursing them out just makes you look like a fuzzy bunny, and makes those players less likely fto stick with Hawken.

4. Wish more players would do this :( Sadly the design of the game in this sense is not well conveyed to players. Resulting in most players just saying....yeah I feel like playing <insert mech here> this game, and that is all they do regardless. Part of it is the progression system, part of it is the UI, and part of it is player mentality in these sorts of games. I agree with your sentiment and commend you for thinking beyond one mech a match.

5. I see a lot of players that routinely rage quit out of games then complain about teams being uneven in other games. Complainers perpetuating the problem they complain about the most. One thing some community members have no shortage of is hypocrisy. Can I please get a siege server that lasts at least a full map rotation please? Sometimes I will find a server full of players  that stays full for a lot of rounds, with not many people leaving between games. These are far and few between but are really awesome experiences.

6. Majority of cheaters are just trolls who are trying to extract salt from players/communities and are not at all concerned with their own skill. 

Most importantly, stop leaving friggin' games. It is functionally impossible to balance this game with this low population with mid-game leavers. And stop doing it 20 seconds before you lose in some spastic fit of pointless spite. Do you hate HC or something?

Smurfing being a way to get into games is a really terribly thought through excuse for making/using alt/smurf accounts. You can get into a game on any account regardless of MMR. All you do is queue for a match, rather than trying to use server browser. After a certain amount of time the quick match just puts you in the next available spot for the game mode you selected. If there are none of that game mode being played then it tells you so.

Axe-Attack Check us out! Stream I stream spasmodically.

TPG Hawken Admin.

TPG 3 has concluded! If you are interested in participating in TPG Season 4 gather a group and form a team or try and join an existing team! Stay tuned to the forums for updates on the details of TPG Season 4.

DonCornelius

DonCornelius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Norh America late afternoon into the evening is a good time to pick up a friendly yet refreshingly compettitive round or two of siege. You know who you are out there. Love you guys and girls (and your moms), keep the fun alive.

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Norh America late afternoon into the evening is a good time to pick up a friendly yet refreshingly compettitive round or two of siege. You know who you are out there. Love you guys and girls (and your moms), keep the fun alive.

friendly 

round or two of siege

DonCornelius posting from another dimension, confirmed.

• DonCornelius likes this

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

DonCornelius posting from another dimension, confirmed.

1500 MMR servers are another dimension.

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

CraftyDus

CraftyDus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1354 posts

Bro do you even style points

aLvK2nG.jpg

The fit one flexing on the end with the really swole.....sabot

I see you 'mirin

lwY3QRd.jpg

DonCornelius

DonCornelius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

1500 MMR servers are another dimension.

is that what my mmr is now? ive lost my edge.  and using rockateer more. i never score big with that pig.

Edited by DonCornelius, 10 February 2016 - 02:27 PM.

DonCornelius

DonCornelius

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

no disrespect doncornelius, but you seem kinda new at this

you might want to take a look at the actual seige guide here http://hawken.mirror...siege-tutorial/

Not new cronologicaly. Siege is all i play for the most part and im at 600 hours or so playing HawKen. Having said that I dont deny that I am a self proclaimed noob for life. I have enough skill to enjoy playing, but dont care enough about winning to improve to a high level of competetiveness. I can hold my own in the public servers. Nobody wants me in their clan. I can accept this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users