Photo

(SOLVED) Framerate drop during combat - don't use "borderless window"!

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

It does not matter what location the server is in, I will get 150+ fps out of combat, but the moment I'm engaged, my framerate drops to about 15-20 fps, sometimes as low as 5. This is pretty much a deal breaker for me.

Things I've tried:

* fresh restart
* eliminate background processes
* plastic hawken
* game files verification
* gpu driver rollback
* no TS
* complete network check, clear up to the trunk. QOS/mangle rules prioritize my pc on both my network and my access point.

Also, for those of you that know, I'm not about to run windows natively to fix this, cuz literally every other game works fine.

Any ideas?

The problem was using the "borderless window" option to prevent the game minimizing when switching windows. guess I have to deal with it.

If you have framerate drops during combat, try turning this option off (under "video options). It worked for me!

Edited by (TDM)coldform, 28 March 2016 - 05:57 PM.

I like going against the best of any game I play. Helps you in the long run n motivates u to do more. Always room for improvement not failure

z6aJAX7.png?1

czerofive-Today at 2:22 AM > got banned from playing lazertag - I used a knife to conserve ammo

FIRST OFF WHAT THE FUZZ IS A "SHILL"

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

Is this a recent development?

What hardware spec?

• coldform likes this

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

Silent_

Silent_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Try stat fps and stat unit. Game and Draw are for cpu and Gpu is obviously for gpu. Frame is how long it takes to render thread, ie. for 120fps every thread needs to complete their cycle in less than 8.33ms.

For more through benchmarking you can use stat unitgraph + stat raw to see accurate graph of whats going on.

Edited by Silent_, 28 March 2016 - 05:57 AM.

• coldform likes this

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Gonna need full system specs. While you're at it, run diagnostics on another monitor in the middle of gameplay. You're getting bottlenecked somewhere and it's probably because something's failing, possibly in meatspace.

• coldform likes this

coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

Is this a recent development?

What hardware spec?

Not exactly recent. Became apparent to me this weekend, but recordings show its been happening for months, I just wasn't aware of it.

Specs. Hoo boy. Running w10 thru xen/arch, with iommu passthrough for a Radeon 7870 ghz edtion. Vishera 8core, 32gig ram, and hawken/w10 sitting on a samsung evo 850 250g ssd. Windows gets 6 cores and 16 gig ram. Had this setup months before the issue appeared.

And Stat fps/graph revealed that,it was the game seeing the fps drop.

Gonna need full system specs. While you're at it, run diagnostics on another monitor in the middle of gameplay. You're getting bottlenecked somewhere and it's probably because something's failing, possibly in meatspace.

I recently quit smoking cigarretes, switched to vaping, as far as meatspace is concerned. You of all people know,I'm fully aware of my skill level.

Edited by (TDM)coldform, 28 March 2016 - 06:08 AM.

I like going against the best of any game I play. Helps you in the long run n motivates u to do more. Always room for improvement not failure

z6aJAX7.png?1

czerofive-Today at 2:22 AM > got banned from playing lazertag - I used a knife to conserve ammo

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

Are you running borderless window?

I know Hawken hates Viscera but it shouldn't be that bad.

• coldform likes this

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

Are you running borderless window?

I know Hawken hates Viscera but it shouldn't be that bad.

Yes, using borderless window. I use it cuz alt tabbing to TS/OBS gets a little screwy with fullscreen. Could that be the problem?

I also can't confirm the problem before virtualization, I have no recordings from then.

Edited by (TDM)coldform, 28 March 2016 - 06:19 AM.

z6aJAX7.png?1

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

I also can't confirm the problem before virtualization, I have no recordings from then.

I'd test it without virtualization first. Run a quick test, shouldn't take more than 45 from boot.

Did you upgrade anything recently?

• coldform likes this

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

Yes, using borderless window. I use it cuz alt tabbing to TS/OBS gets a little screwy with fullscreen. Could that be the problem?

I personally found a pretty huge increase in minimum framerate going from borderless to fullscreen, but I am not in a virtual environment. I'd say give it a shot.

• coldform likes this

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts
I'll try the fullscreen thing first, and just deal with the screwiness.

If that fails, I'll get a fresh install of win10/hkn and test it tonight.

Edited by (TDM)coldform, 28 March 2016 - 06:56 AM.

z6aJAX7.png?1

GalaxyRadio

GalaxyRadio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Hi Coldform,

you need to figure out, what happens in the game to kow, which part of the pc is at fault, software or hardware, could be both or one of them. To look if it could be the hardware, you should install the tool MSI Afterburner to see what happens with your fps and CPU&GPU activity.

Activity

1. if your GPU runs at low activity, your cpu performance is too bad, to get better fps

2. if your GPU runs well with 99% activity, your CPU performance is well enough (all that only if you dont lock up your fps ofc)

AMD GPU + AMD CPU

1. the fact is, AMD CPUs are bad in DX11 games, it goes even worse, if they are not optimized for using more then 2 cores at all

2. fact 2 is, AMD GPU DX11 drivers are bad and they draw call performance is way behind nvidia (CPU Overhead), this means the same GPU Level (AMD/Nvidia), Nvidia will deliver much better min. fps in every game

3. fact 3 is, that the combination from AMD CPU and AMD GPU is really not the best in DX11 games

There are just a very few games out there, where AMD CPU won't be a bottleneck (for example Crysis 3). This all will be much better in short future with DX12 games, because the CPU Overhead situation won't hurt you that bad anymore.

Hawken

This game was, before reloaded took it over, worse CPU optimzed, means even with good CPU and Nvidia GPU you were not able to maintain more fps then 100 at all times, because not only the CPU was a bottleneck, the game/server side was also very bad. After reloadig took it over, they optimzed something with the server, because the min. fps trouble became much less then before, so it was truly a very big improvement. But pingissue became worse at some point...

So, install MSI Afterburner and look, if your GPU can maintain the processing power (Mhz), or if the value lower withing the playtime. If it does, something is wrong with your GPU, maybe the mV isn't high enough and you need to give it a little bit more to see if the Mhz will be stable after that, or not. It could be also something wrong with the driver then. Overall the GPU activity won't be very good because of your AMD CPU, so even if everything will be go back to normal, your gameplayexperience won't be as good as with a nvidia card or intel/nvidia combination. But because DX12 comes around next, i won't change the hardware.

Until then, you could overclock your CPU a little bit, yo you get a little bit better min fpos, until you found your issue, you will get slightly better with that.

MSI Afterburner is for free, so no worry and it workls with almost all kind of games out there, so a great thing to optimze your ingamesettings, until youre satisfied with your gameplayexperience.

Galaxy Radio

Edited by GalaxyRadio, 28 March 2016 - 12:06 PM.

• coldform likes this

coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts
@galaxy: I use AMD based on principal; they release ISA reference docs without NDAs, but an NVIDIA fix is not out of the queston. Besides, that would be funny: using an NV gpu for w10 alongside an AMD fo linux.

hawken is the only game I have this problem with. Titanfall/cod/warframe/fractured space all run at 120+ fps, all using dx11. Hawken still refers dx9, spec. D3d9, so, I dunno.

z6aJAX7.png?1

talon70

talon70

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts

I used to use ATI cards and using driver cleaner from driver heaven was very important. Otherwise the driver versions changes caused performance issues getting worse with every new driver release. Even if you are removing the old one and going to safe mode to install the new one, ect. it is leaving crap behind. I checked and drivercleaner is not free anymore they want $10

I will add my cpu was not getting into turbo mode once and running .7 GHz slower and my Hawken frame rate dumped into an even deeper toilet.

The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 838 posts

It does not matter what location the server is in, I will get 150+ fps out of combat, but the moment I'm engaged, my framerate drops to about 15-20 fps, sometimes as low as 5. This is pretty much a deal breaker for me.

Things I've tried:

* fresh restart
* eliminate background processes
* plastic hawken
* game files verification
* gpu driver rollback
* no TS
* complete network check, clear up to the trunk. QOS/mangle rules prioritize my pc on both my network and my access point.

Also, for those of you that know, I'm not about to run windows natively to fix this, cuz literally every other game works fine.

Any ideas?

is this occurring to you suddenly recently or it's been happening since day one?

• coldform likes this

The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice.

coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

is this occurring to you suddenly recently or it's been happening since day one?

I noticed it recently, but I can see evidence of it in my recordings since december.

z6aJAX7.png?1

GalaxyRadio

GalaxyRadio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

I used to use ATI cards and using driver cleaner from driver heaven was very important. Otherwise the driver versions changes caused performance issues getting worse with every new driver release. Even if you are removing the old one and going to safe mode to install the new one, ect. it is leaving crap behind. I checked and drivercleaner is not free anymore they want $10

I will add my cpu was not getting into turbo mode once and running .7 GHz slower and my Hawken frame rate dumped into an even deeper toilet.

No need to pay for that, just use this tool here, its for free, but you can decide yourself to help/donate for it or not: http://www.guru3d.co...r-download.html

I use this, because my nvidia drivers are totaly crap, because i can't install new one after normal deinstallation, so i came to use this little helper. AMD had other trouble like you said, GPU is not working anymore with full speed or just not going into 3D mode at all. But nvidia is not perfect either.

@Coldform,

you could try that tool and reinstall the new beta driver and try to look if it is helping. But what i said about AMD performance in general in DX11 mode is a fact you can google yourself if you wan't. I know all that stuff, because its my hobbie and i had both AMD/Nvidia and Intel hardware myself or build for others and before all that talking about bad DX11 Driver came along, i saw it myself and found out the bottleneck of AMD. Sience then i switched to intel/nvidia most of the time, despite i really hate Nvidia, but i don't wan't to get angry while trying to play a game either, hell....

So, i really hope AMD Vega and AMD Zen are going to be rockstars 2016/2017 or at least are going to compete againts nvidia&intel in all areas, performance, watt/performance ration, heat, driver. 

Galaxy Radio

Edited by GalaxyRadio, 28 March 2016 - 12:17 PM.

• coldform likes this

HOHOHOSANTA

HOHOHOSANTA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
It happens to me sometimes aswell it has to be server side everyone has a good pc build that plays the game and still experiences it. For me though it depends on server and map actually. Bazaar and Last Eco are the worse I'll have max frames but if there's a big enough cluster fack going on on a bad server I'll drop from 120 fps to 30-40
  • coldform likes this

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts

Specs. Hoo boy. Running w10 thru xen/arch, with iommu passthrough for a Radeon 7870 ghz edtion. Vishera 8core, 32gig ram, and hawken/w10 sitting on a samsung evo 850 250g ssd. Windows gets 6 cores and 16 gig ram. Had this setup months before the issue appeared.

Of all the virtualization work I've done, including remotefx, I've never tried playing a game through it.
CAD, Photoshop, etc, but not anything like Hawken.

As it happens, I am reworking my virtual host so perhaps I might spin up a Hawken VM for a laugh.
Yes its redundant as my PC and my virtual host are both Windoze.

coldform

coldform

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1100 posts

Of all the virtualization work I've done, including remotefx, I've never tried playing a game through it.
CAD, Photoshop, etc, but not anything like Hawken.

As it happens, I am reworking my virtual host so perhaps I might spin up a Hawken VM for a laugh.
Yes its redundant as my PC and my virtual host are both Windoze.

I did this to eliminate the need to reboot into the different OSes each time I want to switch.

This is different than virtualbox/vmware. Using the xen hypervisor, arch linux, some systemd/modprobe/virtIO scripting, I'm able to pass a second gpu straight to the guest OS (w10). The disk, NIC, and audio are the only top level devices that are not paravirtualized, giving native or near native machine performance.

I get 90-120 FPS @ med tex/ low settings with sweetfx to make dem colorz pop. In a VM.

Epeen!

Also, thanks to all of your replys. Even if I countered your suggestions, you still helped me double check.

Edited by (TDM)coldform, 28 March 2016 - 10:34 PM.

• The_Silencer likes this

z6aJAX7.png?1

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

This is different than virtualbox/vmware. Using the xen hypervisor, arch linux, some systemd/modprobe/virtIO scripting, 

And, you know, hardware that supports this.

• coldform likes this

MechFighter5e3bf9

MechFighter5e3bf9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

mabey fullscreen means the gpu is no longer drawing the system unlike window mode where game and the system elements  are drawn/loaded even if you scale the game to fit the screen totaly.

or "In Windowed fullscreen you are having your DX buffer copied to the Windows buffer so its vsync on."

(http://www.reddit.co...running/ctgkpic)

Edited by Bastardo, 30 March 2016 - 05:27 PM.

• coldform likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users