- - - - - Hawken Launch Steam PC Help_Guide

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Gordon_Freeman

Gordon_Freeman

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

For some time now, I've been having very bad difficulty getting Hawken to launch. I'm running Windows 7, but that shouldn't effect it. When I double click Hawken in my steam list (directly in steam) it says "Running." After about 5-9 seconds, it simply stops. There's no error message, or prompt to report a crash. It just, stops working. 

Any suggestions on how to fix?

Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1421 posts

https://community.pl...1-common-fixes/

• DemitronPrime likes this

lNM7VnC.png

( ^ click for the EMP song ^ )

Come take a look at Hawken guides | Join me on #hawkenscrim IRC

Nov8tr

Nov8tr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

I have 2 links to Hawken. One through STEAM and one a direct link to the game exe in the STEAM folders. 

Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Hawken\Binaries\W32 and use "HawkenGame-Win32-Shipping.exe".

Create a shortcut to it on your desktop or where ever you want and use that to connect.

I use that when I know I'm not going to use the Steam overlay or I don't want the system to use resources to run Steam. I'd rather user them for the game, lol. BUT be warned it will not record your time played in the Steam history of course. The game time will increase though of course. It's a good link to save resources on lower end computer systems too. Good luck!

Edited by Nov8tr, 19 May 2016 - 10:02 PM.

• DemitronPrime likes this

"Nov8tr" is pronounced "INNOVATOR"

aEGHJsh.gif?1

Yes I'm really 64 yrs old. July 6, 1953

TURDxSANDWICH

TURDxSANDWICH

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

This has worked for me several times.  The game config files get corrupted from time to time.  There is no need to uninstall or create different shortcuts.

"go to documents>my games>hawken>hawkengame, and delete the folder 'config'. it often gets corrupted, and is not removed while uninstalling. dont worry, once you run the game, it'll come back, no harm done"

• Amidatelion likes this

4wBdPaU.jpg

Nov8tr

Nov8tr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

I've never had game files in Hawken get corrupted so I did not create the shortcut for that purpose. But it can be used to lighten the load on your CPU, your ram, your video card, your HDD/SDD and allow you system to run better, faster & cooler. I DID create it for that purpose. I got tired of Steam eating up resources that could be used elsewhere. I have 2 systems. One is a mid range gaming system and one is a high end gaming system. And yes you are correct that you can remove the "config" foldler IF your problem is that the files have been "corrupted". And yes the folder will recreate itself upon running the game. This trick is handy for many games. But for those who want a way to lighten the load on their system or a "alternate" method for a fix, mine works fine. From experience. like 45 years of experience in computers and 22 yrs online gaming and 51 beta's. :thumbsup:

Edited by Nov8tr, 20 May 2016 - 09:55 AM.

"Nov8tr" is pronounced "INNOVATOR"

aEGHJsh.gif?1

Yes I'm really 64 yrs old. July 6, 1953

MechFighter5e3bf9

MechFighter5e3bf9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 366 posts

in steam options i disabled every feature i could find including the overlay and i have had no issues at all with crashes since or extra overhead in any logs/performancealso in steam mode im not sure about without it, it first openes configs in steam folder before applying the ones in documents folder where our primary configs reside so if with/without steam affects the loading of these two sets of config files that can cause crashes, for instance i erased the config files from steam apps / hawken folder and the game crashes with error about loading default engine config missing, it loads those steam apps configs first, then the documents configs overriding any settings loaded  prior, some settings in the steam apps configs reflect ingame even when you totaly reset your documents config files, i made my terrain staggered like a staircase on all slopes by editing the steam apps configs with a clean set of documents configs making me have to reinstall the game to get fresh steam apps configs (those are what the games presets are and must exist for documents configs to be generated)

overall my point is its a real pain in the ass to tune this game but if you can reset these sets of configs truely cleanly then that should solve any crashes assuming your gfx drivers are fine and arent injecting any bogus hooks like overlays/macos

also: click start, type "event viewer" and when the list populates, try examining administrative events/custom/application/system event logs and click the "date modified" bar to sort showing you latest entries first, this is how i find most of my issues when my graphics card starts failing or any usb devices runing low on voltage causing major lag spikes ingame. sometimes its as simple as permission issue preventing an automatic update of some program or hardware events like usb device malfunctions that show up here can majorly slow you down, or audio devices without drivers installed etc can cause alot of unknown issues and spam to the system so update everything you can, and disable any hardware you dont use. for a while i bennefited from disabling paging file since i have 8g ram but i got errors later on so i set the page file equal to my ram (no automaticaly managing of size that costs cpu and stuff so i set minimum/maximum 8000 megabytes and seems fine, but hey the one setting for  my own gain of performance in hawken  is to enable vsync via my ati gfx drivers dashboard and in my hawkenengine.ini leave smoothing true with MinSmoothedFrameRate=73

MaxSmoothedFrameRate=76 to suit my monitors max refresh rate of 75, cherry picked a tip from hestoneds post about how these values sometimes must be slightly smaller/larger than the rate your aiming for to compensate for screen tearing as best as we can since if min rate was exactly 75 then it would constantly be hitting "minimum rate not achieved:activate low performance mode to raise framerate" mode as fps drifts 74/75 perhaps 73/76 so the latter is whats working for me at the moment, but  you will have a performance loss if you set smoothing to FALSE for some unknown reason so use these smoothing values properly, not just min=0 max = 999 or whatever some guides say, i have tried to avoid smoothing a long time but never had a positive experience... lately i've noticed that when i disable smoothing and let my frames run around 200 the game discards lots of my input(mouse etc)  that pertained to those extra frames, so once the game smoothened out the frames to my refresh, my input started to mesh with the game much much cleaner, you can see what i mean when you disable smoothing/capped framerate and mouse the mouse around, you feel jerky and low definition of your head movement while its seeming to ignore alot of fidelity of the mouse.
oh when i use vsync in game setting it tends to make a horrid delay as it does to everyone but with vsync enabled by my gfx cards dashboard it seems to be just as usefull as any vsync without the delay

here (old already but it worked great) are my hawken ini configs incase you can use them
(tuned for 8 gigabytes of ram and 75 hertz refresh rate

oh btw disabling windows firewall the dirty way (service manual/stop) may cause some programs to mess up as the firewall rules may not have the entry for the program yet and cannot add it due to firewall service being disabled, this can also cause event log spam when processes constantly try to add firewall rules so if you dont want firewall disable it in firewall settings for local/public/domain or whatever the three zones are called, dont disable it via administrative tools: disable firewall service

Edited by Bastardo, 22 May 2016 - 08:08 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Hawken, Launch, Steam, PC, Help_Guide

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users