• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Interrobang87

Interrobang87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

so i noticed after playing hawken for a couple hours my neck & shoulders are REALLY tense. Before the previous devs died and i was playing all the time i actually had really frequent muscle twitches in my neck and thought i had low potassium or something. But then the forums went down and i stopped playing this game and my neck got better!

I would really prefer to keep playing but i dont want neck pain from doing it lol - any1 have some suggestions? Ive tried rolling my shoulders and stuff when i die/between matches but id like to prevent the tension in the first place

OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

try a neck pillow or some thing that forces good posture

We Can Dance If We Want To     

OTWsig2.jpg

ES3lMRu.png?1

LaurenEmily

LaurenEmily

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts

It's just a common consequence of too much sitting still and staring at a monitor. Make sure you sit comfortably with a good posture and far enough from the screen. I believe the real 'recommendation' is to take a break every 60 minutes of using the computer, and maybe that's what you should do, take quick breaks when it starts to feel like that.

Hawken is pretty intensive and 'stressing' in a way, i myself can't play more than a few matches in a row or i just lose my focus and start to make mistakes.

CdbY2zw.gifRjGv7Ax.gif

D8mfrr9.png

KOS_Baconman

KOS_Baconman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts

I wish I had enough free time to play until my body hurt. Closest thing I've had to an injury from gaming besides a  stiff back was this one time when I got up at 5:30 in the morning and binge played PS2 until 7 PM. My eyes burned so much, i couldnt stop crying (I was crying because my eyes were dry, not because it hurt)

What if we just give some bacon paint, some bacon holo-emotes and change Bunker from snow to bacon.

This way, everyone will be happy.

What you should really do, is replace your parts with bacon, so you can cook games and eat bacon

Obviously the wallpaper would be cooler if bacon was incorporated into it.

OmegaNull

OmegaNull

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Sometimes when that happens I get up, take several deep breaths through the nose and then out through the mouth. It is from getting tense. Eventaully, I learned to play without getting tense. Helps with the aim too!

Scootin' 'n Shoot | Bawlin' 'n Brawlin' | Ragin' 'n Raidin'

ca62ab9a-2ce9-4a20-b368-0cde03b1331d.png

"Velocitas et Eradico"

KilleR_OrigiNs

KilleR_OrigiNs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 314 posts

Redacted.

Edited by KilleR_OrigiNs, 30 April 2015 - 10:58 PM.

• dorobo, Interrobang87 and LaurenEmily like this

Interrobang87

Interrobang87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

yea i guess ill try taking breaks every few matches - i sit about 3 ft away from my monitors so up close isnt really the issue and i keep my chair locked upright to help the posture. I play lots of other games, including shooters, and have never had this problem..

could it be... THE HAWKEN VIRUS?!

FlamingBeaker

FlamingBeaker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Or could be...need to adjust desk height (is the weight of your arms supported properly/angle of arms comfortable, or are you holding them up, stressing your shoulders)?

Just an idea.

davek1979

davek1979

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Maybe you could try suing for compensation. It's a popular choice as it can potentially make you a millionaire and everyone knows millionaires are relaxed and healthy individuals with good posture.

• LaurenEmily and OdinTheWise like this

Leonhardt

Leonhardt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

so i noticed after playing hawken for a couple hours my neck & shoulders are REALLY tense. Before the previous devs died and i was playing all the time i actually had really frequent muscle twitches in my neck and thought i had low potassium or something. But then the forums went down and i stopped playing this game and my neck got better!

I would really prefer to keep playing but i dont want neck pain from doing it lol - any1 have some suggestions? Ive tried rolling my shoulders and stuff when i die/between matches but id like to prevent the tension in the first place

"Not being tense but ready.

Not thinking but not dreaming.

Not being set but flexible.

Liberation from the uneasy sense of confinement.

It is being wholly and quietly alive, aware and alert, ready for whatever may come." ~Bruce Lee

You need to loosen up and relax yourself. You will find that not only are your shoulders and neck less stiff you will play better. Relaxed muscles are far easier to work with.

Best way to do this is to stop yourself from clenching your muscles in the middle of playing. Yes this will mean that for a few days or maybe even a week you will not play super well because you are focusing your attention on relaxing your muscles, but over time it will become second nature and then the problem will go away.

Edited by Leonhardt, 29 March 2015 - 07:39 PM.

OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

you need to be like water- spike speagle 

We Can Dance If We Want To     

OTWsig2.jpg

ES3lMRu.png?1

spo0n

spo0n

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Have someone else watch you play, or record yourself playing.  See what happens when you tense up?  Could be entertaining.

I can't beat bruce lee quotes though, so follow everyone else's advice.

CrimsonKaim

CrimsonKaim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

Do sports, but nothing like jogging or else, more like fitness. Gym, etc. For me this works well. You don't have to look like Arnold Schwarzenegger but some muscles here and there support your stability of your body :]

I think back and front of your upper body should do o:

- Sitting next to the sound box in Last Eco -

LoC_TR

LoC_TR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts

Stretching!! It's very peaceful; I do it before and after I play and in between matches if I have time. Deep breathing exercises are also really helpful for any adrenaline pumped games, anytime you get the shakes or something like that. Also if you find yourself holding your breath during tense situations in-game you may develop bad habits or posture. 

Interrobang87

Interrobang87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
Good thought on the desk height, I'll try that.

I actually was watching some hawken steamers and felt my shoulders tensing just WATCHING other people play. Is Hawken ptsd a thing?

dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Couple of bananas won't hurt either...

MomOw

MomOw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1039 posts

Sing along !

IRZUTYo.png

gXO9Nfd.pngmXasTsY.pngft4VqcE.png

KDR Member | Streamer | Priority Target II

Spoiler

NSCL

NSCL

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

I have a job where I sit many hours by the computer (graphic designer). Desk height, distance between the monitor and your eyes, and a good chair! are really crucial, to protect you from some serious spine problems.

And not to mention excercising from time to time. It's obvious thing to do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users