• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Hecatoncheires

Hecatoncheires

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

After playing the Technician for a little while, I've begun to feel that the Helix Repair Torch is a fairly(really) cheap secondary with its tracking beam. So, aside from changing the healing/damage rate, I was wondering what you all thought about my proposition of changing the beam into a sort of extended plasma cutter (light saber). It would have a similar range to the beam's initial lock on, but you would need to manually track targets.

Cons:

Damage would be decreased by general inaccuracies

Your general range of effect would be shorter since the plasma cutter wouldn't extend to accommodate for a moving target

Pros:

You could damage or heal multiple targets if you impale them both (the stick would be capable of penetration)

You would have a much easier time predicting your effective range

The Tech's ability would make the plasma cutter bigger and longer. Yes.

Actually, I was thinking the ability would allow for something similar to the original auto-tracking, or be more offense-based and allow for vampyric aspects.

This would also change the Technician into a semi-melee mech...or maybe they should just create a new A-class melee mech vampire? Possibly a new idea.

This is coming from someone who's heavily biased in using the tech for offense.

What the Heca-

XFXFuryX

XFXFuryX

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

I'm not trying to criticize but this a horrible idea. The tech has a hard enough time defending itself if caught alone, no need to Nerf it down even more. In fact I would like to see it get some love that increases its survivability.

MomOw

MomOw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1039 posts

Changes for the tech ?

Quick-fix :

change the ReDOX so that you don't debuff yourself if you're in the AEO and speed-up projectile speed.

change the PN-223 to either reduce the recoil, or lower the heat generation.

change it's ability to poop an health orb instead of the green beam

slight HP buff

change the way the tech score so that you get only 2/3 of the score your have while sticking to a C-class

IRZUTYo.png

gXO9Nfd.pngmXasTsY.pngft4VqcE.png

KDR Member | Streamer | Priority Target II

Spoiler

Hecatoncheires

Hecatoncheires

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

I'm not trying to criticize but this a horrible idea. The tech has a hard enough time defending itself if caught alone, no need to Nerf it down even more. In fact I would like to see it get some love that increases its survivability.

I can see survivability falling off at higher tier games, but hitting a tech is very challenging for most players, especially at proficient to low skill levels. I can often just walk up to most enemies and kill them without even receiving a scratch (and that's walking face to face). The only real issue I find is when a sharpshooter is involved, but every mech has some sort of weakness. When facing a crowd, I find the tech to be one of the best A-class mechs at handling multiple enemies and being able to split them up. I thought of the idea of the plasma cutter because the tracking beam is far too accurate for potentially the strongest (and most versatile) sustain weapon in the game.

Changes for the tech ?

Quick-fix :

change the ReDOX so that you don't debuff yourself if you're in the AEO and speed-up projectile speed.

change the PN-223 to either reduce the recoil, or lower the heat generation.

change it's ability to poop an health orb instead of the green beam

slight HP buff

change the way the tech score so that you get only 2/3 of the score your have while sticking to a C-class

No comment on the ReDOX, I don't use it.

I feel the PN-223 would be better if it had better mid-range potential. Heat is fine.

The ability is the only burst-ish feature the tech has, so I feel retaining that characteristic is important to preserving its utilitarian intent. Pooping orbs is rather redundant.

An HP buff would make it too durable and too capable compared to other A-class mechs. Even if it were just 10% more, you could probably survive 2 hits from the Sabot, I don't know the actual numbers. Course this would be more welcome if the Helix Repair Torch was harder to use (like my plasma cutter idea).

I'm not too concerned with how the tech scores while healing, but I think there needs to be a change in how assists work overall. A 2% damage assist is not an assist.

Edited by Hecatoncheires, 05 August 2016 - 09:41 AM.

What the Heca-

MomOw

MomOw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1039 posts

I can see survivability falling off at higher tier games, but hitting a tech is very challenging for most players, especially at proficient to low skill levels. I can often just walk up to most enemies and kill them without even receiving a scratch (and that's walking face to face). The only real issue I find is when a sharpshooter is involved, but every mech has some sort of weakness. When facing a crowd, I find the tech to be one of the best A-class mechs at handling multiple enemies and being able to split them up. I thought of the idea of the plasma cutter because the tracking beam is far too accurate for potentially the strongest (and most versatile) sustain weapon in the game.

No comment on the ReDOX, I don't use it.

I feel the PN-223 would be better if it had better mid-range potential. Heat is fine.

The ability is the only burst-ish feature the tech has, so I feel retaining that characteristic is important to preserving its utilitarian intent. Pooping orbs is rather redundant.

An HP buff would make it too durable and too capable compared to other A-class mechs. Even if it were just 10% more, you could probably survive 2 hits from the Sabot, I don't know the actual numbers. Course this would be more welcome if the Helix Repair Torch was harder to use (like my plasma cutter idea).

I'm not too concerned with how the tech scores while healing, but I think there needs to be a change in how assists work overall. A 2% damage assist is not an assist.

The PN223 would be better at mid range with lower recoil, and it has a heat gen /s greater than RPR (salty stats sheets is wrong, it's not 2.5 HPS but rather 7.5 because you shoot 3 bullets). A below average weapon (DPS / burst) with lower heatgen could be OK if the heatgen was low in order to let you use the torch for a longer duration.

Pooping orb still allow an "healing burst" because you can still heal, but it's no more a dumb "win button" because you'll have to think more / communicate more before poping it efficiently.

The HP buff is obviously there just because you lose the healing buff from vampire torch.

About scoring here is the reason : playing tech score lead to a MMR above the player actual skill that lead to screw the Match Making. Give it a try : create a smurf to focus on tech play, you'll get a "too high MMR" which end-up in unbalanced matches because you can't carry your team.

IRZUTYo.png

gXO9Nfd.pngmXasTsY.pngft4VqcE.png

KDR Member | Streamer | Priority Target II

Spoiler

Hecatoncheires

Hecatoncheires

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

The PN223 would be better at mid range with lower recoil, and it has a heat gen /s greater than RPR (salty stats sheets is wrong, it's not 2.5 HPS but rather 7.5 because you shoot 3 bullets). A below average weapon (DPS / burst) with lower heatgen could be OK if the heatgen was low in order to let you use the torch for a longer duration.

Pooping orb still allow an "healing burst" because you can still heal, but it's no more a dumb "win button" because you'll have to think more / communicate more before poping it efficiently.

The HP buff is obviously there just because you lose the healing buff from vampire torch.

About scoring here is the reason : playing tech score lead to a MMR above the player actual skill that lead to screw the Match Making. Give it a try : create a smurf to focus on tech play, you'll get a "too high MMR" which end-up in unbalanced matches because you can't carry your team.

Hm, I agree the PN223 would make an interesting weapon if it generated very low heat. You could categorize it as a type of pistol (which it is).

I still don't agree with the pooping orb since that would take away from the offensive capabilities of the mech, and because it would be an ability that wouldn't be unique to the tech. As much as it would be functionally viable, you already have the option to do so with the repair charge. Yes, stacking the repair charge with the tech's ability is something, but doesn't necessarily give the tech a unique advantage. And there's also talks to alter the repair charge, in order to defeat orblording, so pooping an orb really isn't an ability that can mature.

HP buff, ok, but it wholly depends on how much. The tech really doesn't need more HP than the scout.

I don't know about that one. Carrying a team is very possible as a tech, especially as a smurf. I think everyone underestimates the tech's offensive capability.

What the Heca-

I2DI

I2DI

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Your general range of effect would be shorter since the plasma cutter wouldn't extend to accommodate for a moving target

No. Thank you kindly, but staying even closer to someone I want to heal is the opposite of what I consider viable.

Tech has a hard time healing anything except C-class mechs, making his range SHORTER means Tech has to be directly on top of somebody in order to heal them. Which means unnesesary exposure to damage and, consecutively, death. Don't forget, Tech has the smallest armor pool in the game.

At this point if you so desire to change Tech mechanics it would make more sense to change his tourch to a rifle/crossbow/smth-else with slow fire rate and good effective range so the healing (or damage) will be caused by the projectile you fired. This way the mech will reward good aim and the amount of healing depends only on your accuracy, not freaking range.

Edited by I2DI, 06 August 2016 - 04:09 AM.

• PeanutFox likes this

I simply cease to believe that something is OP just because it's OP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users