• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

I've been looking to buy a new headset for work and gaming 'cause my good old Creative Fatal1ty is in its death throes. But I can't find anything satisfactory.

I need a headset that's under $200 and under 250g. Astro A30 looks good, but some people dislike it and say the mic is trash. HyperX Cloud is way too heavy for me, and Cloud Stinger seems to be wonky. Then there's Razer Kraken that's got glitchy software. There's also Turtle Beach X12 with its background noise/hiss and cheap looks. Logitech G430 is just plain bad.

Now, the new Arctis line by Steelseries looks very interesting, but I couldn't find any good video reviews. The text reviews are mixed.

So, do you have any suggestions? Or maybe it's better to buy headphones + mic separately?

Edited by DerMax, 11 October 2016 - 11:19 AM.

Rainbow_Sheep

Rainbow_Sheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Or maybe it's better to buy headhpones + mic separately?

Yes.

• DerMax, Guns_N_Rozer, Miscellaneous and 2 others like this

Spoiler

peacecraftSLD

peacecraftSLD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

I just got the Plantronics 500 HD headset. It's a 7.1 stereo USB headset that's under $100 dollars and I have been loving them. Works great with my PS4 too.

Here's a link if you are interested:

http://www.plantroni...oduct/rig-500hd

• DerMax likes this

HOHOHOSANTA

HOHOHOSANTA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

I've been looking to buy a new headset for work and gaming 'cause my good old Creative Fatal1ty is in its death throes. But I can't find anything satisfactory.

I need a headset that's under $200 and under 250g. Astro A30 looks good, but some people dislike it and say the mic is trash. HyperX Cloud is way too heavy for me, and Cloud Stinger seems to be wonky. Then there's Razer Kraken that's got glitchy software. There's also Turtle Beach X12 with its background noise/hiss and cheap looks. Logitech G430 is just plain bad.

Now, the new Arctis line by Steelseries looks very interesting, but I couldn't find any good video reviews. The text reviews are mixed.

So, do you have any suggestions? Or maybe it's better to buy headhpones + mic separately?

Kraken

CrimsonKaim

CrimsonKaim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

I am using the G430 now for almost two years. I have no troubles with it (only Win10 does). Fell several times on the ground and the cable should be atleast damage by now given the amount I pulled too hard on it while being stuck.

Can recommend it, dunno why you find it bad.

- Sitting next to the sound box in Last Eco -

DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

I am using the G430 now for almost two years. I have no troubles with it (only Win10 does). Fell several times on the ground and the cable should be atleast damage by now given the amount I pulled too hard on it while being stuck.

It's not bad in itself, it's bad compared to some other options with the same price tag.

Chickin

Chickin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Mux, I have HyperX cloud II for some time now.

Although it is specified as 350g you really don't feel the weight.

They are very comfy. Based on excellent Takstar pro 80 headphones, just a re-brand thingy.

Ear cups are smooth leather or velour, however you prefer them.

Sound is great but the mic could be better, it's not trash though.

Plus you have virtual 7.1 surround sound, if that gives you any advantage at all.

Edited by Chickin, 11 October 2016 - 12:52 PM.

chickin.png

DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Mux, I have HyperX cloud II for some time now.

Although it is specified as 350g you really don't feel the weight.

They are very comfy. Based on excellent Takstar pro 80 headphones, just a re-brand thingy.

Ear cups are smooth leather or velour, however you prefer them.

Sound is great but the mic could be better, it's not trash though.

Plus you have virtual 7.1 surround sound, if that gives you any advantage at all.

You don't feel the weight if you're a big boy and don't have bad neck.

Chickin

Chickin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

You could wear a scarf.

chickin.png

DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

You could wear a scarf.

What'd that do xD

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD 600 sitting here next to me, with a DAC, and I don't use them because they're way too heavy and my neck starts hurting after just a couple of hours of use.

hellc9943

hellc9943

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts
If you want to go the route of seperate mic and headphones, Sennheiser HD 25 weighs about 140g. Tried and true classic that will last you a lifetime.
Personally, I never was a big fan of them because I think they fit too tightly and the cups are too small but are lot of people swear by them.
  • DerMax likes this

Festivals end, as festivals must

dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

mine. was looking for something durable.

https://www.amazon.c...e/dp/B001BYOY42

Edited by dorobo, 11 October 2016 - 01:41 PM.

• DerMax likes this

HOHOHOSANTA

HOHOHOSANTA

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

https://www.amazon.c...keywords=kraken

Nov8tr

Nov8tr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 679 posts

LOL, ok you did say the best. So proudly presenting...............

http://www.theverge....atic-hands-on 

But be prepared to freak. And no, I don't own a pair. Obviously................ :tongue:

"Nov8tr" is pronounced "INNOVATOR"

aEGHJsh.gif?1

Yes I'm really 64 yrs old. July 6, 1953

EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
Good mic pickup, clear crisp Dolby sound, and durability for 4 years now, I have the $9.95 Logitech POS plastic set from BigLots.
  • JackVandal likes this

#:  chown -R us ./base

nRJ1C9n.png

"...oh great Itzamna, you shall know Us by the trail of Dead."

Guns_N_Rozer

Guns_N_Rozer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

YES there is some problem in win 10 , i'm using G430 1 year and and tthe mouse g402 4+ month , it just restart or lost in game or team speak so there are no sound for few second and team speak got muted so i need to restart team speak .except these reason these product are awesome .i can recomanded that . 

or Mux u can try Cloud 2 ,it's a solid head phone .better to buy headset and mic separately .

Edit , hey  Muxer u can try http://www.audio-tec...aff89488ddd6b1/, its good choice , my friend have this , i tried now , it's good quality and light . a dac or sound card will be more sweet  

Edited by Guns_N_Rozer, 11 October 2016 - 10:59 PM.

DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

hey  Muxer u can try http://www.audio-tec...aff89488ddd6b1/, its good choice , my friend have this , i tried now , it's good quality and light .

285g

Guns_N_Rozer

Guns_N_Rozer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

285g

25G MORE , U CAN BEAR IT

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts
35g. But I'm sure no one would notice. Unless they had a really bad neck or something...

dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

25G MORE , U CAN BEAR IT

PvAgEd.gif

DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

25G MORE , U CAN BEAR IT

35g. But I'm sure no one would notice. Unless they had a really bad neck or something...

Again, I have a $350 high-end pair of headphones sitting unused next to me that's 260g. Why'd I buy something worse quality-wise that's even heavier?

Guns_N_Rozer

Guns_N_Rozer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

Again, I have a $350 high-end pair of headphones sitting unused next to me that's 260g. Why'd I buy something worse quality-wise that's even heavier?

PRICE DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING (NOT EVERYTIME) SAY LIKE DR.BEATS HEAD PHONE .DIDN'T KNOW THAT U R A WEAK MAN (IN EVERY CASE :tongue: U R WEAK ,PROVED  )

Guns_N_Rozer

Guns_N_Rozer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

JUST TAKE A LOOK http://www.akg.com/pro/p/k712pro

EDIT , THERE ARE NO CHOICE EXCEPT SMALL HEADPHONE , VERY LIGHT ,U WILL NEVER NOTICE THAT SOMETHING IS PLUG IN  INSIDE UR HEAD  :teehee:  http://www.shure.com...ating-earphones

Edited by Guns_N_Rozer, 12 October 2016 - 02:58 AM.

dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

One dude has implanted headphones or rather magnets that transmit sound

Edited by dorobo, 12 October 2016 - 04:03 AM.

CrimsonKaim

CrimsonKaim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

YES there is some problem in win 10 , i'm using G430 1 year and and tthe mouse g402 4+ month , it just restart or lost in game or team speak so there are no sound for few second and team speak got muted so i need to restart team speak .except these reason these product are awesome .i can recomanded that . 

or Mux u can try Cloud 2 ,it's a solid head phone .better to buy headset and mic separately .

Edit , hey  Muxer u can try http://www.audio-tec...aff89488ddd6b1/, its good choice , my friend have this , i tried now , it's good quality and light . a dac or sound card will be more sweet  

I have the combo of G430 and Win10 right now and the only problem I hear is that the 7.1 dolby option causes some quality loss in youtube videos and the like. Other than that it works perfectly fine.

- Sitting next to the sound box in Last Eco -

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

Again, I have a $350 high-end pair of headphones sitting unused next to me...

Given this, I feel you are sufficiently qualified to select a set of headphones without the help of a forum that is very definitively not an authority on audio equipment.

FWIW, I run these with these and something like this mounted to the headphones by a flexible boom I made out of 16 AWG single strand wire. The advertised weight of the headphones is 113g, the whole rig cost me under 40 USD, and it sounds adequately good for my purposes.

• DerMax and crockrocket like this

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
Why not get a decent pair of IEMs and a standalone mic? If you're that sensistive to weight there are only a handful of options with headphones. The Sony MDR-1A (225g) are comfortable and probably the best pair you'll get that fits all your requirements, but I'm not sure what quality the inline mic is or how easy it is to get to work with a PC. Lower-end on-ear Grados and a ModMic would work, as would that with the Superlux pairs linked for a cheaper solution.

Edited by JeffMagnum, 12 October 2016 - 08:29 AM.

• DerMax and Rainbow_Sheep like this

d1eZeG3.png

Rainbow_Sheep

Rainbow_Sheep

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 658 posts

Why not get a decent pair of IEMs and a standalone mic? If you're that sensistive to weight there are only a handful of options with headphones. The Sony MDR-1A (225g) are comfortable and probably the best pair you'll get that fits all your requirements, but I'm not sure what quality the inline mic is or how easy it is to get to work with a PC. Lower-end on-ear Grados and a ModMic would work, as would that with the Superlux pairs linked for a cheaper solution.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Spoiler

n3onfx

n3onfx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Superlux HD-681EVO:

Dirt cheap, insane sound quality for the price, great soundstage for gaming. It's a taiwanese brand that uses big 50mm drivers and the same quality materials as 200$+ studio heapdhones from big-name brands. I know it sounds weird to think that a 30€ headphone sounds the same as a 200€ Sennheiser or Audio Technica, but there's many certified sound nerds who think the same.

http://www.head-fi.o...itor-headphones

I have a pair, the downside is the build quality, they won't break apart on their own but they are made of plastic and you have to not go ham on the head strap. Upside is that they are light as a result. They sound much, much, much better than my old Steelseries and any other gaming headphones I tried.

As for the mic, you can either get a standalone one, or a super cheap Zalmann like this that will sound better than anything on a gaming headset. Get creative with how to fix to your headphones.

Use both and for less than 40€ you have a combo that will sound much better than any gaming headset. "Much better" as in not even remotely close.

Edited by n3onfx, 13 October 2016 - 02:49 AM.

• DerMax likes this

t

t

DWEH3ZP.png   CRITICAL  RqKpxHn.png    ASSIST   VDNrFxD.png

t

t

Guns_N_Rozer

Guns_N_Rozer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

Mus have u wanna check this , a external sound card with dac  https://www.amazon.c...usb sound card 

, its low price + a light head phone https://www.amazon.c...addict-20&th=1 

, it's good and low price 

DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Mus have u wanna check this , a external sound card with dac  https://www.amazon.c...usb sound card 

, its low price + a light head phone https://www.amazon.c...addict-20&th=1 

, it's good and low price 

HD 598 are heavier and worse than HD 600. I have a DAC.

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

HD 598 are heavier and worse than HD 600. I have a DAC.

Wait do you have a weight limit for this? I couldn't tell from reading the OP and the rest of the thread

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

Wait do you have a weight limit for this? I couldn't tell from reading the OP and the rest of the thread

I need a headset that's under $200 and under 250g.

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts

I dropped this

/s

• Hyginos likes this

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

CZeroFive

CZeroFive

Hawken Dev

• Hawken Dev
  • PipPipPip
  • 617 posts

https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B015ZXZ1BY/

Probably the first and last headset I bought. Before that, had a logitech USB desktop mic and Sennheiser 298 headphones.

Thing's lasted me 1 1/2 years now. It's pretty durable and the sound quality is great.

DerMax

DerMax

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Probably the first and last headset I bought. Before that, had a logitech USB desktop mic and Sennheiser 298 headphones.

Thing's lasted me 1 1/2 years now. It's pretty durable and the sound quality is great.

These are good but I've decided to go Creative Aurvana Live + Blue Yeti.

dorobo

dorobo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Has a great extendable mic but your happy days comin to an end soon. I had a white ones and one side sound died like a month or two over waranty. Never getting anything from steelseries :) Everything is made like fuzzy bunny these days. If you're ok with buying headsets every two years these are great.

I bet those creatives dermax chosen will last him somewhere around 2 years if he's not gonna sit on them sooner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users