• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Pulcinella

Pulcinella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
Let's say matchmaking hates you and sticks you in a server for tdm by yourself against two other players. They're decently skilled and stick together. How do you guys fight both of them at the same time?

With one or two scrubs it's simple enough, use one as a shield dancing left to right from their screen while shooting down the other dude.

But with two decent players usually I have to depend on taking out whoever has the lowest max hp out of the two and hope I have enough hp/fuel to fight the other mech.

I have to think there's gotta be an easier way of dealing with these 1v2 fights x.x if you have an idea and would like to suggest it to me, plz do leave a reply ;~; I get stuck against two people often and I'm starting to think I should just play DM 'cause this is outright stressful for me as I'm not that great of a player xD;;

I need them prostrats D8
  • crockrocket likes this

crockrocket

crockrocket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1989 posts
Git gud fuzzy bunny

But actually I'm interested to see what better players than me say here. I guess if you can sacrifice a direct hit use splash to hit multiple targets

JgQjgkx.png

Salvage: An Idea to Stop Leavers

Player Retention & Howken

[14:31] <Crafty> I know that in my balls
[14:32] <Crafty> hawken is unlike anything Ive played

6ixxer

6ixxer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1158 posts

I'm not saying this is the best way, its just an experience I had.

I once played a bunker match 1v2 against a coordinated pair of C.

Try and get the jump on one and focus them until they die.

I never killed them both. my ping sucked as usual.

I was just happy to keep them guessing and get one of them.

SS was tough due to high ping and my less than great aim. Tough to get the right range to powershot and get in and finish the job.

Infil was too fragile. Pred much the same. You get spotted too easily.

Raider seemed to work.

Good burst, fast off-radar approach.

I'd equip damage item and shield and hope the fight lasted long enough to use both.

There would be more strategies on any other map IMO.

Also more options against anything other than 2 C's with their huge health pool.

Edited by 6ixxer, 08 February 2017 - 12:50 AM.

WillyW

WillyW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

When I play Vanguard, if I have the upper hand, I can sometimes take out up to 3 mechs in turret mode by stealing the orb with every additional kill. Granted, this is only if they aren't highly skilled.

I think the same logic applies to most other situations, including orb lord scout for example. The only way to win is to survive and orbs help you do that.

Edited by WillyW, 08 February 2017 - 05:58 AM.

2XhpJes.png

JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

It heavily depends on everyone's skill levels and mech choices. 1xC vs. 2x A/B or 1xC vs. 1xA and 1xB are both very doable scenarios especially with a reasonable MMR advantage over the enemies and a strong mech choice (the best C's for 1v2s probably being Flak/Hawkins Brawler, Vulcan/Heat Gren, or SMC/Miniflak Vanguard in that order) on your part. With a massive skill advantage you can almost always win matchups regardless of the mechs by outaiming and outmaneuvering the other side while picking people off one at a time, but as the MMR difference closes you have to actually have some sort of strategy. You aren't able to rely on simply keeping a higher damage out/damage in ratio than two mechs combined even outside of cover, so you start having to play corners/use orbs and shields etc. to increase your effective armor plus try to separate the enemies. 

Whether or not the match itself is 1v2 or you run into two players at once in a full server makes a significant difference too. In the former instance you can attack on your terms and potentially split the other side up without interference which gives you a much better chance, but in the latter you usually have to either get clean and quick kills or retreat before backup gets there. In the first situation I tend to ambush and quickly kill either the enemy with less armor or the significantly better player if there's much of a difference, then I pull from their death orb and possibly a deployed one of mine while fighting the other person. In the second instance, I usually immediately throw down an orb behind cover and heal on it between volleys of burst damage until one player is dead, then advance to that death orb and throw down either another or a shield while attacking the remaining opponent. I do things differently in Pred and SS, but I would definitely not suggest trying to 1v2 people close to your skill level with those or any A's or B's except Assault if you're asking your question on here. 

So you have the general ideas right. Really though, the best way to get good at winning 1v2s in TDM is to get good at DM. Predetermined strategies aren't going to work in a lot of situations, so you need to be flexible enough to come up tactics on the fly based on how good the other side is, what mechs all of you are in, the map you're on, the location of nearby orbs, and how far everyone is away from their teams.

• DeeRax, FunkMaster67 and WillyW like this

d1eZeG3.png

Pulcinella

Pulcinella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
Thank you everyone for replying >w<

@Jeffmagnum
Well, I'm hesitant to really practice 1v2 in DM because it's not necessarily guaranteed that both of the other players are focused on you. In TDM, they really only have one target, which is you. But you are right, different strategies depending on what mechs they're using, mmr differences, and maps etc.

Although, perhaps I could ask one or two people here to join me for some 1v2 practice sessions? XD

JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
I meant just improving your DM skills in general over specifically seeking out 1v2s in that mode. You're reliant on your own abilities entirely and don't have any teammates to pick up your slack and hide your deficiencies, so DM more than other modes forces you to be effective alone if you want to do well. Pulling off quick kills by yourself, accurately predicting enemies on an individual level, having good radar awareness, ambushing effectively, and knowing how to position fights are all extremely important when it comes to winning against multiple players at once. But you'll also run into a lot of 1v2s or 1v3s due to the DM vulching meta, so you'll get direct practice too.

Edited by JeffMagnum, 08 February 2017 - 06:56 PM.

• coldform and EM1O like this

d1eZeG3.png

Pulcinella

Pulcinella

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
Ahh I gotchu. Welp, looks like I'm gonna be hitting DM more. Oh but a question about the orbs. I realize orb lording can be a thing but I feel like if you hang around orbs a lot it makes you a predictable target. I mean, doesn't it make zipping around meaningless if they know you'll just run over your orb in a second or two?
  • WillyW likes this

JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts
It depends on the location of the orb, whether or not there's more than one, who you're fighting, and the mechs involved. In 1v1s a single orb can easily decide the fight if both players are comparable in accuracy and are in the same weight class, and in 1v2s standing on an enemy's death orb while deploying your own in the same place can often be enough to heal through a sizable armor deficit while taking damage and win. Sometimes it can be better to deploy one behind cover and heal on it to get the jump on an opponent who's healing to full armor more slowly over using the item in the middle of battle. Orbs are just extremely flexible and useful in numerically uneven fights despite their ability to telegraph your future position like you brought up if you aren't careful.
  • EM1O, WillyW and Pulcinella like this

d1eZeG3.png

EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

what jeff sed.  i ran into a DM situation where there were 3 playing that resented my smacking each of them with my smc van, in uptown.  they were friends and of course, started teaming me.  what by pure accident seemed to be a completely accidental sequence was to keep at least one arriving in the garage, one spawning (across the map), and one dying under my weps, and recycle. 

i took too long and didn't kill one and have enough time to do the drop-an-orb with the corpse-orb before a buddy showed up, 3 or 4 times, but (sour grapes) i figured i at least got reloaded (heh) with fresh orbs.  done it a few times in DM vulturing with 2, but not with 3 since.  i SSd the chat post game, and learned some new russian words for male anatomy, gay sex acts, and general profanity.  very educational, 1v3s.  :woot:

• DallasCreeper likes this

#:  chown -R us ./base

nRJ1C9n.png

"...oh great Itzamna, you shall know Us by the trail of Dead."

WmMoneyFrmMissouri

WmMoneyFrmMissouri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 735 posts
I think pilot psychology plays into this at the medium to advanced level. One thing I usually look for in making a decision on targets in say a 2v1 is what's the probability x pilot is going to turn tail and run yella that moment I give them a mouthful of corsair. There is always some wanna be hotshot scout or infil that at the first sign of trouble will run, so I find this strategy useful. Next level though is knowing that scout/infil will try to rear its ugly head again without healing while you start taking on the other guy. I usually will save my corsair to do a quick 180 foot shot for the kill in that scenario. They almost always will come out of hiding though, so be ready to deliver a surprise alpha strike to finish em off. Then happily chomp down on the remain forces abd drive fear into their collective team hearts. GRR.

wmmoney.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users