Photo

First new laptop in 9 years is operational...

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts

I bought a Gigabyte Aero 14".

So far, I am not noticing the lack of Thunderbolt; I have my slower 60Hz 1920x monitor on a dongle converting mini-DP to HDMI; I'll use the faster HDMI port for a G-Sync monitor in the near future.

This thing is fast - m.2 SSD in whatever mode it is in (4x?), GTX1060.  It came with a USB3.0-Gig-E dongle; and it has USB 3.1 type-C.  The screen's highest resolution is freaking amazing in this form-factor.

So far, highly recommend.  Dense, trim, portable, mostly-metal case.  Not too flashy; my youngest says it has an 'Alienware vibe' in the colorscheme (I got black, it has orange pinstripe highlights, which do not glow).

• ReversusRex likes this

Did I say Call Me Ishmael?

You should call me Luna.

Elite_is_salty

Elite_is_salty

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1144 posts

Congrats :)

The PC community is the red headed step child Reloaded never wanted but got saddled with when they married the PC community's mother.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Shoutout to mah real Africans out there.

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

G-sync doesn't work over HDMI.

Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts

G-sync doesn't work over HDMI.

OK, then I'll swap the two ports.  I actually wondered that when I wrote it (I did, too).

You should call me Luna.

Guns_N_Rozer

Guns_N_Rozer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

ma  Asus GL502VMK is best ^ well G-Sync is good when the frame is lower ur monitor refrash rate , otherwise meh but its smooth game play and ur battery discharge soon since it doesnt have IGP (disabled) .so yeah 

Draigun

Draigun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

G-Sync was updated some time ago to utilize itself over an HDMI input. Not sure how connecting a laptop to a G-Sync panel would behave though... if it's v2.0 for G-Sync (usually associated with an additional HDMI input on the monitor), it might work...

In any case, have a read here - it's rather useful information concerning G-Sync. I play this game with a 140 FPS in-game cap to keep G-Sync activated without introducing V-Sync input lag.

Edited by Draigun, 27 June 2017 - 02:35 PM.

TpsOr7F.png

Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts

^ ty

You should call me Luna.

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

G-Sync was updated some time ago to utilize itself over an HDMI input. Not sure how connecting a laptop to a G-Sync panel would behave though... if it's v2.0 for G-Sync (usually associated with an additional HDMI input on the monitor), it might work...

In any case, have a read here - it's rather useful information concerning G-Sync. I play this game with a 140 FPS in-game cap to keep G-Sync activated without introducing V-Sync input lag.

I'm... not sure where you're getting that information from? I don't disbelieve you, it's just that a) HDMI literally does not have the bandwidth to deliver it and b) the only thing that I can find is that HDMI 2.1 *does* support it, but I don't know of any cards that currently offer that.

Draigun

Draigun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

I'm... not sure where you're getting that information from? I don't disbelieve you, it's just that a) HDMI literally does not have the bandwidth to deliver it and b) the only thing that I can find is that HDMI 2.1 *does* support it, but I don't know of any cards that currently offer that.

I saw a few monitors that were released sometime ago - such as the ViewSonic XG2703-GS - that have an HDMI port. However the HDMI port on it is only for expandability (w/o G-Sync). So yes, you're right in that G-Sync only works over DP. My bad.

I originally thought G-Sync with an HDMI connection was updated to allow the module to communicate through it - that doesn't seem to be the case (yet?).

TpsOr7F.png

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

I saw a few monitors that were released sometime ago - such as the ViewSonic XG2703-GS - that have an HDMI port. However the HDMI port on it is only for expandability (w/o G-Sync). So yes, you're right in that G-Sync only works over DP. My bad.

I originally thought G-Sync with an HDMI connection was updated to allow the module to communicate through it - that doesn't seem to be the case (yet?).

HDMI 2.1 will allow G-Sync, but that was announced in January and I don't know if any devices have been offered with 2.1 ready to go. I just have a shitton of DP cables from working in a Dell shop so it's never been an issue.

• Draigun likes this

EM1O

EM1O

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

laptops. that used to be a topic of hilarity among the desktop ueber box-builders.

i might buy a used xp or w7 2year contract cycling laptoy *$99 laptop pawn shop^

for gaming? really?

only to chat on the forums while im on the road in sh!itty hotel wifi-land. why by a top of the line laptoy?

glhf!

#:  chown -R us ./base

nRJ1C9n.png

"...oh great Itzamna, you shall know Us by the trail of Dead."

Call_Me_Ishmael

Call_Me_Ishmael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1114 posts

laptops. that used to be a topic of hilarity among the desktop ueber box-builders.

i might buy a used xp or w7 2year contract cycling laptoy *$99 laptop pawn shop^

for gaming? really?

only to chat on the forums while im on the road in sh!itty hotel wifi-land. why by a top of the line laptoy?

glhf!

My mainstay while at home is an i7-4790k/GTX-1070, 16 GB RAM, 256 SSD, in an ROG motherboard, watercooled.  Now, that being said, I think this particular laptop plays Hawken very well.

(edited to correct the RAM)

Edited by Call_Me_Ishmael, 29 June 2017 - 06:56 PM.

You should call me Luna.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users