Photo

About those problems on US-East Today...

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

capnjosh

capnjosh

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 262 posts
I was trying to address some server load issues earlier today (some pegged CPUs), and due to a bug in the server management system, ultimately a number of gameservers were duplicated. That caused those strange errors you may have experienced when trying to connect to a match, particularly in US-East.

Since pinky swearing is not something to be taken lightly, I have felt the burden all evening to make sure it gets fixed.  My announcement yesterday mentioned such commitments.

I found the bug and I've got a fix in place in the Japan region.  The other servers should be fine until we do a quick server restart early this next week.  As a bit of a bonus, we should also be able to support private servers a little better.  That, and now I *really* understand how the server management system works (which, honestly, is probably the most valuable aspect of this little episode).

In addition, while I was working with the code I figured I'd put in an approximation of what the region consolidation may look like.  If you look at the Japan region you will now see gameservers named "tokyo-tdm-3707" (as an example).  This is a way to indicate *where* a gameserver is located, so you can have some idea of what kind of Ping to expect.  This is by no means a comprehensive fix; but it's something I can do *right now* that should be an incremental improvement.

So, go check out the Hawken action in the Japan servers.  It may be more fun that you'd ever expect :)

-capnjosh
  • komstatic, ArchMech, DerMax and 25 others like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users