• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Merl61

Merl61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts
There are three main things that concern me regarding balance. Everything else is, in my opinion, fine the way it is, though I wouldn't mind certain small tweaks.

1. The scanner. It is hilariously broken. I have heard many good suggestions on how to fix it. My favorite so far was to change it to a radar sweep instead of just on everywhere all the time.

2. The Incinerator. Having the highest dps in the game, coupled with the second largest health pool and unlimited fire is blatantly over powered. I do not have an easy fix for this mech, and whatever is done to it must be done carefully, as even a slight nerf to the wrong area could render the mech virtually useless.

3. Orbs. Right now, they are by far the best item. The fix for this is simple. Make the orb only give you 60-80 health, bringing it in balance with the detonator. As of now, the det gains you at most a 60 health advantage, whereas the orb is often double that.

What do you guys think? Let me know. GGs. I'll see you on the battlefield.

Merl

Edited by Merl61, 21 March 2015 - 06:41 AM.

• brackets likes this

jWZL3Hm.jpg

Thanks to Badtings for this awesome banner!

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

Further to those suggestions:

1. Scanner: Make it "sweep" across the battlefield. Wherever the "arm" passes over enemies, those enemies are highlighted for a short period of time before fading. Additionally, every time an enemy is pinged, the scanner shows up on their minimap. You know, like real radar.

2. Drop the damage on the P4P4, up the heat on the M4M4 and give it some more splash. Make it so only the small SAARE gives heat and reduce the damage of the Large SAARE while possibly increasing its AOE further. This gives pilots a reason to use the BBY and small SAARE outside of starting with it.

3. I agree with Merl. Hadn't thought of it as a counterpart to the det re: health advantage.

And new suggestions:

1. Hellfire buff. And I'm not just saying this because I've been maining Heat Rocketeer recently. Hellfires are the single worst secondary in the game by a large, large margin. They are unreliable, slow, low damage and high skill. Some things to buff them:

1. More damage per rocket. Considering how unreliable they are, a full salvo hitting the target should do more damage than a TOW.

2. Faster ready time or more accuracy in blindfire mode. Right now anyone with any skill can close with a rocketeer with some effort, taking little damage and then make a mockery of it in CQC. And quite frankly it SHOULD collapse in CQC, but it should punish people getting there.

3. Some kind of pop-up guide to hellfires for newbies. The amount of times I get stuck in a low lobby and try to give tips with people not getting how to lock-on is frustrating as all hell. I'm not saying make them easier to use, because that's one of their selling points. Just give new folk a helping hand.

Edited by Amidatelion, 21 March 2015 - 07:04 AM.

• Merl61 likes this

Guns_N_Rozer

Guns_N_Rozer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1272 posts

ORB lord theory is ok....i don't think to change something in ORG item or internal :thumbsup:  . but about inci and scanner ..yes nerf these please  :pirate:

JeffMagnum

JeffMagnum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 781 posts

And new suggestions:

1. Hellfire buff. And I'm not just saying this because I've been maining Heat Rocketeer recently. Hellfires are the single worst secondary in the game by a large, large margin. They are unreliable, slow, low damage and high skill. Some things to buff them:

1. More damage per rocket. Considering how unreliable they are, a full salvo hitting the target should do more damage than a TOW.

2. Faster ready time or more accuracy in blindfire mode. Right now anyone with any skill can close with a rocketeer with some effort, taking little damage and then make a mockery of it in CQC. And quite frankly it SHOULD collapse in CQC, but it should punish people getting there.

3. Some kind of pop-up guide to hellfires for newbies. The amount of times I get stuck in a low lobby and try to give tips with people not getting how to lock-on is frustrating as all hell. I'm not saying make them easier to use, because that's one of their selling points. Just give new folk a helping hand.

Hellfires are probably the hardest thing in the game to get right, and honestly, I don't think it's even feasible to balance them in their current implementation. Unless they get a major buff, they're always going to be useless in high-level play due to the heavy reliance on cover, but a buff necessary to make them viable there would be them ridiculously OP against worse players. A powerful heat-seeking/low(ish)-skill missile launcher gives rise to a really dumb meta in pubs that's frustrating to everyone on the receiving end of a team fielding 3-6 HF mechs. At best, matches devolve into boring stalemates, and at worst, one team gets completely rolled x to 40 because their skills aren't developed enough yet to know how to counter HF spam.

It'd be easier to find a place that works for Hellfires if Bunker, Eco, and Bazaar all got revised, but unless that happens, it's pointless to play around with adjustments barring a complete mechanic rework. I'd rather HFs be weak against top players than have a single weapon completely dominate the lower-tier meta. Aside from the obvious issues that come with one thing defining that, everyone relying on the same weapon that quickly becomes useless against better enemies makes personal improvement much harder. 

d1eZeG3.png

Hyginos

Hyginos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1337 posts

3. Orbs. Right now, they are by far the best item. The fix for this is simple. Make the orb only give you 60-80 health, bringing it in balance with the detonator. As of now, the det gains you at most a 60 health advantage, whereas the orb is often double that.

The orbs require some time to actually apply health, however, so I'm not sure bringing them all the way down to a detonator equivalent would be appropriate.

The robot souls that drop when you murder someone also have to be accounted for. I think simply changing the numbers may be to simplistic a solution.

For scanner I have a few proposals in addition to what amid mentioned.

-pulse: like sweep, but propagating radially.

-Line of sight: the scanner will only highlight enemies it can see.

-Remove scanner and make turrets have line of sight radar marking.

Edited by Hyginos, 21 March 2015 - 01:43 PM.

MFW Howken

My post count is neat.

Merl61

Merl61

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 930 posts

The orbs require some time to actually apply health, however, so I'm not sure bringing them all the way down to a detonator equivalent would be appropriate.

The robot souls that drop when you murder someone also have to be accounted for. I think simply changing the numbers may be to simplistic a solution.

I understand where you are coming from. I am simply offering a possibility. A simple one at that. Perhaps someone will come up with a better solution. Perhaps not. Only time will tell.

jWZL3Hm.jpg

Thanks to Badtings for this awesome banner!

Amidatelion

Amidatelion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2474 posts

-Remove scanner and make turrets have line of sight radar marking.

Best fuzzy bunny idea I've heard yet.

EDIT: WELP MANUALLY CHANGED THAT FUZZY BUNNY AIN'T WORKIN'

Edited by Amidatelion, 21 March 2015 - 01:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users