HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Shields_

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Poll: Should sheilds be implemented in Hawken_ (218 member(s) have cast votes)

Should sheilds be implemented in Hawken_

1. Yes, Like this thread. (91 votes [45.27%])

Percentage of vote: 45.27%

2. Yes, But differently then this thread. (47 votes [23.38%])

Percentage of vote: 23.38%

3. No. (63 votes [31.34%])

Percentage of vote: 31.34%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 SickDownlink

SickDownlink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted May 11 2011 - 12:23 PM

I was not sure if i should post this in the "Special Equipment Suggestions Compendium" thread so to be safe i started a new one.

what do you think about having the ability to equip a solid metal shield on one arm as a replacement for a second weapon_

The shield could passively increase your HP, or is could soak up damage if hit and have its own HP count, once it's hp reaches 0 it would be destroyed and your mech would drop it.

the shield would probably make your moment slower until dropped.

they could make different kinds of shields.

Very light - lowest shield hp/ hp gain, no movement loss, small size

Light - low shield hp/ hp gain, little movement loss, small size

Medium - average shield hp/ hp gain, average movement loss, average size

Heavy - high shield hp/ hp gain, very noticeable movement loss / uses jet fuel faster while flying, large size

Very heavy - lots of shield hp/ hp gain, even more movement loss / uses jet fuel even faster while flying, large size

Behemoth - Huge shield hp/ hp gain (almost as much hp as small mechs), same movement loss as very heavy / renders the user unable to jump/ fly at all, BIG size, maybe blocking some of the users vision from the cockpit, only usable by heavy class mechs.  

Like this
Posted Image

Discuss...
10000100010010010011101000101000 : SickDownlink
Posted Image

#2 JackDandy

JackDandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationHaifa, Israel

Posted May 11 2011 - 12:25 PM

Sounds nice, and could really bring out the whole "Tank" aspect into an FPS-mech-sim-thing. Could prove interesting!

#3 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted May 11 2011 - 12:26 PM

Curiously I do have some few notes on something similar. So your idea was going somehow in the right direction, IMO. :)

viewtopic.php_f=7&t=215

Hive mind_ :D

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#4 Flyingdebris

Flyingdebris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 11 2011 - 12:35 PM

I like the idea of a shield.  Its a easily visible trade off of speed and firepower for survivability

I'd imagine they could make the visual aesthetic of it work on the hawken mechs by  making it look something like the giant suspended armor panels on the steel battalion mechs, but hawkenified

http://www.armchaire... ... talion.jpg
Mech time all the time

#5 SickDownlink

SickDownlink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted May 11 2011 - 12:38 PM

Flyingdebris said:

I like the idea of a shield.  Its a easily visible trade off of speed and firepower for survivability

I'd imagine they could make the visual aesthetic of it work on the hawken mechs by  making it look something like the giant suspended armor panels on the steel battalion mechs, but hawkenified

http://www.armchaire... ... talion.jpg

yea, sounds good. but...
i cant see your link D:
Posted Image

#6 Flyingdebris

Flyingdebris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 11 2011 - 02:14 PM

just a pic of a steel battalion mech off of google
Mech time all the time

#7 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted May 11 2011 - 02:35 PM

Yeah, the http error you get is forbidden..

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#8 SickDownlink

SickDownlink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted June 16 2011 - 11:52 PM

Bumbing to get more feed back, i think these would be a good replacement for the left hand weapon, leaving you with just a primary weapon. (the weaker weapons). could prove interesting.
Posted Image

#9 xXxTALONxXx

xXxTALONxXx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted June 17 2011 - 02:19 AM

I like it

Seems balanced.

Hopefully they'll try it out

Although instead of switching it off as reg weapon you should have a Defense weapon
slot.

cloak - full cloak not that predator wavy stuff
radar jam - cant lock on
hologram
heal bots - for other mechs w/o going into heal mode
etc......all based on time / fuel / mech class

and your shield

you chose one
Posted Image

Build your opponent a golden bridge to retreat across

#10 Ashfire908

Ashfire908

The First Ninja

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted June 17 2011 - 09:08 AM

The_Silencer said:

Yeah, the http error you get is forbidden..
The server has hotlinking protection on. Manually copy and paste the url into the address bar of your browser and you can view it.

http://www.armchaire...l-battalion.jpg
Developer of ScrimBot and the canceled Hawken leaderboards
Come join the Hawken IRC Channel and chat about Hawken: #hawkenscrim on irc.quakenet.net
Yes, I am a wizard - There is no cupcake conspiracy
[03:18:55 pm] <-- ^-^ (webchat@[ip removed]) has quit (Quit: Later All! Also pls ban Kindos7)

#11 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted June 17 2011 - 10:00 AM

I'd like to see short duration and moderate defensive E shields which should require of some coherent micro-management in order to make them effective on the battlefield.

For example, Vs. enemy missiles, by calculating the distance and the speed of the rockets and having into account that you have only, let's say, 1 second to defend yourself via E-shield.

I think I'm not being redundant with this picture on here.

Posted Image

#12 SixSeconds

SixSeconds

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted June 17 2011 - 04:00 PM

If you could do that, then why not just let you shoot missiles down_

I don't really enjoy shields all that much; imho, they make skillful movement unnecessary.

#13 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted June 17 2011 - 04:35 PM

Well, concordantly man might also ask on whether counter-meassures may have a positive role or not too..

My idea would be some upgrade a pilot can use and which may subsequently suck up a great amount of his mech resources ( fuel..._ ).

And now that you asking for that I think that you've made a good point. Why man could not to zoom in and shoot down any incoming missiles by gunning them down, for example, with a minigun_.

Posted Image

#14 innociv

innociv

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted June 19 2011 - 03:03 AM

I'd rather have a defensive weapon like flachettes to shoot down missiles easily than a shield to block stuff..

#15 SixSeconds

SixSeconds

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted June 19 2011 - 12:19 PM

Let's put it this way; my skills are in shooting. If I have the option to take a gun and a shield, there better be a damn good reason to do so instead of taking another gun. And if there is a damn good reason, then eventually the game will evolve to favour it; and since shields and missiles would probably be on the same hand, then no-one will have missiles anymore and shields will become useless. The only surviving left-hand weapon would be the sniper rifle. Which innociv would appreciate, I'm sure.

I'm actually leaning away from any sort of missile countermeasure at this point. Just let them be powerful; people will develop tactics to deal with them.

#16 3leggedFreak

3leggedFreak

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted June 19 2011 - 02:45 PM

To spare you all from a lengthy post I'll just summarize my opinion in a simple sentence:

"Shields are for chickens!" :]

#17 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted June 20 2011 - 07:29 AM

SixSeconds said:

Let's put it this way; my skills are in shooting. If I have the option to take a gun and a shield, there better be a damn good reason to do so instead of taking another gun. And if there is a damn good reason, then eventually the game will evolve to favour it; and since shields and missiles would probably be on the same hand, then no-one will have missiles anymore and shields will become useless. The only surviving left-hand weapon would be the sniper rifle. Which innociv would appreciate, I'm sure.

I'm actually leaning away from any sort of missile countermeasure at this point. Just let them be powerful; people will develop tactics to deal with them.

I could agree on that. Although when I think about shields what comes to my mind is a moderate hunker shield with a coherent cooldown and precissely that and in that way in order to do not make missiles useless..

Once more, this is my personal view on the matter.

Posted Image

#18 SpudNick

SpudNick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted November 05 2011 - 06:08 AM

I think it should attach to the shoulder like a Zaku that way you can still have two weapons and a shield.

http://farm3.static.... ... fcda2d.jpg

It would give you more HP but lower your mobility and speed and maybe even how high you can jetpack. If they add Limb damage it should be given it's own hit box so it can protect the arms.

#19 Crow

Crow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted November 05 2011 - 08:52 AM

I say nay to shields. I like the game being fast paced and feel that shields will take away from that abit.

#20 SickDownlink

SickDownlink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted November 10 2011 - 11:13 PM

More votes wanted. :D
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic