HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Shields_

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Poll: Should sheilds be implemented in Hawken_ (218 member(s) have cast votes)

Should sheilds be implemented in Hawken_

1. Yes, Like this thread. (91 votes [45.27%])

Percentage of vote: 45.27%

2. Yes, But differently then this thread. (47 votes [23.38%])

Percentage of vote: 23.38%

3. No. (63 votes [31.34%])

Percentage of vote: 31.34%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Naraklok

Naraklok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted December 10 2011 - 06:28 PM

Armored-shields perhaps.

Instead of "health" you have "armor"; and you have shields protecting this armored structure. If the sheilds "break" your armor will be depleted as damage is taken.

Once your shield and armor has been diminished you will explode; death.
Naraklok

#22 Vaapeli

Vaapeli

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationRepública Rio-Grandense

Posted September 17 2012 - 01:49 PM

The whole concept of "shielding" your mecha has to be dealt with caution, otherwise it will become the basic chess-based FPS, as in 'Behemoth > Very Heavy'; 'Very Heavy > Heavy' et cetera.

#23 MadMike

MadMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationWhere it snows and melts

Posted September 17 2012 - 06:33 PM

I really like the light to heavy shields you got there but, not for Hawken. If there was to be any shields in this game I wouldn't want the mechs "holding" them like a knight, I'd much rather equip plates onto the arms, legs and torso of the machine. This essentially turns into extra armor which i believe they are already doing. From what I've seen I don't think any energy weapons will be used (maybe a few very basic proto-type weapons) so absorption wouldn't be possible with solid bullets and would be unbalanced with any energy weapons there might be. I guess it all boils down to what kind of mech style you prefer.
MadMike | Steam: (ask me!) | Wii U: madmikev2 | 3DS: 3823-8695-8435
SuperDuoBros. channel: http://www.youtube.c...uoBros/featured | UYA Gamers: http://steamcommunit...roups/uyagamers

#24 Guest_Porkue_*

Guest_Porkue_*
  • Guests

Posted September 21 2012 - 01:58 AM

go to media/screenshots/8

Edited by Porkue, September 21 2012 - 02:00 AM.

#25 KnightNeurotic

KnightNeurotic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted September 23 2012 - 09:23 AM

View PostPorkue, on September 21 2012 - 01:58 AM, said:

go to media/screenshots/8

Interesting find. I would assume this is the repair function or some variant of it, but it could be something else entirely.

#26 Crow

Crow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted September 26 2012 - 08:25 PM

Don't they already have some sort of badass shield mode for heavy mechs_ While I was playing the Alpha I think I saw some stationary shielded mechs. A forcefield item too.

#27 KnightNeurotic

KnightNeurotic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted September 28 2012 - 11:07 PM

@Porkue, this is the heavy mech's ability. Probably can't reveal more because of NDA, but there's a video of it already:

http://www.youtube.c...p90CMwplgI#t=9s

#28 Whitesalt

Whitesalt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted September 29 2012 - 09:25 AM

Shields could be implemented as second weapon choice, but rather than have HP and break they should just block dmg.
Shields should give no passive bonus or handicap. Rather they would just sit there and look pretty most of the time. You could raise them by pressing the appropriate weapon button and holding it. While raised a shield should block bullet dmg by a flat amount  low caliber weapons would deal no dmg, Sabot or other high dmg rifles can penetrate trough that flat amount and deal the rest in dmg, and reduce explosive dmg by a %, meaning no matter how big the shield explosives would always hurt.

Every time you are hit with the shield raised all dmg (both blocked and not blocked) increases the Heat of the shield, meaning shields can overheat and then have a cooldown before being available again.

Types of shield would also be possible such as anti bullet shields with a high flat reduction and low % vs explosions.

Rather than hold the shields with silly arms they should look more like a motorcycle helmet where you bring the visor up and down (except in this case it can also be left and right).

Edited by Whitesalt, September 29 2012 - 09:28 AM.

#29 Red7

Red7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationOTT CAN

Posted October 02 2012 - 01:15 PM

Any shield system would be beneficial and I'd support it.

#30 Shadow_AquilaX

Shadow_AquilaX

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted October 07 2012 - 11:26 PM

What is this Gundam or something!_ Hell no! Cheech!

#31 IvanSidorenko

IvanSidorenko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Posted October 30 2012 - 04:41 PM

I voted Yes.
Posted Image

#32 ChexMechs

ChexMechs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationBehind you

Posted January 12 2013 - 10:58 PM

INTRODUCE EVERYTHING!

Cloaking devices!
Extra armor plating!
Energy shields!
Energy weapons!
Drones that I can assign to protect me, protect a partner, or even repair me if we go for various types of drone.
Enhanced optics so I can see you through terrain...

I don't have enough caffiene left in this can to finish the list...
Whoever came up with the idea of mixing Red Bull and vodka must have been looking for a way to get himself arrested FASTER.

#33 Umbre

Umbre

Cat/Xeno Hybrid

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,255 posts
  • LocationVictoria, Canada

Posted January 12 2013 - 11:00 PM

I don't get it, do people purposely dig through ancient pages just to necro a thread_

#34 IKnowRight

IKnowRight

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted January 12 2013 - 11:13 PM

If a shield is going to cost me a weapon, then I want a shield that wraps around me completely, like a deflector shield in Star Trek.  And this is going to lead to a whole new style of gameplay, but I'm on board.

#35 Azrael39

Azrael39

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted January 20 2013 - 08:39 AM

No, as it is the Time To Kill in an engagement in Hawken is really good.  Sheilds would just mean every fight takes longer, and all weapons damage would have to be boosted or the TTK becomes longer.  Snipers would have to be adjusted to puncture through the sheild and the heat changed so you could kill the sheild and kill the mech.  Just no.  Hawken is good as it is with TTK.
Sharpshooter lvl 25, Berserker lvl 25, Scout lvl 25, Bruiser lvl 25, CRT lvl 25, Brawler lvl 25, Infiltrator lvl 25, Reaper lvl 25, Rocketeer lvl 25, Raider lvl 25, Technician lvl 25, Grenadier lvl 25, Assault lvl 25

Good luck and have fun see you on the Battlefields!

#36 LordGrin

LordGrin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted January 27 2013 - 09:34 AM

In all honesty this sounds like a niche mech more than an equipment. Would be awesome to see a defensive mech that can push into areas and let the team follow. Lead rushes and live type thing.

#37 ComboBreaker

ComboBreaker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted February 15 2013 - 02:37 PM

Do not forget that you have to add some skill requirements - or it simply becomes a trade of secondary for a passive buff,which I find pretty lame.

#38 xXHadronCutterXx

xXHadronCutterXx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationBelgrade, Serbia

Posted February 18 2013 - 10:59 AM

Why do people keep necroing this thread_

Get your hard on.

#39 ClutchCrusher

ClutchCrusher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationThe 'Couve

Posted February 18 2013 - 12:10 PM

View Post3leggedFreak, on June 19 2011 - 02:45 PM, said:

To spare you all from a lengthy post I'll just summarize my opinion in a simple sentence:

"Shields are for chickens!" :]

ABSOLUTELY for chickens!! I should go by the callsign "Crossfire" because I run into the may-lay at full speed, and tend to get into firefights with 3-4 different pilots. I have done this since the original Golden Eye. Even with this lingering stupidity I say shields are for sissies!
“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

#40 kubikiri

kubikiri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted February 18 2013 - 01:59 PM

View PostMadMike, on September 17 2012 - 06:33 PM, said:

I really like the light to heavy shields you got there but, not for Hawken. If there was to be any shields in this game I wouldn't want the mechs "holding" them like a knight, I'd much rather equip plates onto the arms, legs and torso of the machine. This essentially turns into extra armor which i believe they are already doing. From what I've seen I don't think any energy weapons will be used (maybe a few very basic proto-type weapons) so absorption wouldn't be possible with solid bullets and would be unbalanced with any energy weapons there might be. I guess it all boils down to what kind of mech style you prefer.

They could borrow the idea from "Death Race" with j.stathum,

Call it a TOMBSTONE and place it on the rear of the mech, so when you are running you would take less bullet damage,
or after you fire a volley of hellfires you could 180 and take any hostile return fire on your tombstone...

of course this thing is heavy so you'd lose some speed, but hey maybe you could drop it on command and get yr speed back....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users