HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

REMOVE/CHANGE TURRET MODE FROM C-CLASS OFFICIAL POLL

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

Poll: Turret Mode (100 member(s) have cast votes)

Should Turret Mode be_

1. removed entirely for something new (45 votes [33.83%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.83%

2. left how it is now (4 votes [3.01%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.01%

3. up the defense (19 votes [14.29%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

4. up the mobility (12 votes [9.02%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.02%

5. changed drastically in all respects. (53 votes [39.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 39.85%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Subdivision

Subdivision

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted December 05 2012 - 05:48 AM

Having read all of the great ideas here I feel bac9's direction is the most realistic and sensible for the current state of affairs. However there are massive fundamental flaws and in my mind, imbalances to the way C-classes have been treated with their abilities compared to every other class. And this is:

Turret mode has disadvantages!
Every other ability I've come across has no down side to it. Weapons damage increase, never a bad thing. fuel reserves, never a bad thing, damage absorb, never a bad thing, weapons coolant, never a bad thing, camouflage, never a bad thing!
Turret mode is often a bad thing! Severely reduced mobility increases your likely hood to get picked off with greater ease as you can not dodge incoming fire. You are penalised every time you use it when all the other classes are not.

View Post[ADH]Saunders, on November 20 2012 - 08:16 PM, said:

Take one of those bad boys on top of the AA (or inside of it), and go into turret mode and see how much longer you last.  That AA is yours.  Does that help_

If you still find it useless, what would you do to change it_

I was pretty disappointed to read this in all fairness. The odd situational benefit doesn't equate it to the same level of benefit all the other abilities grant to a player.

Now I have reiterated how important I feel this change is to the game, I would preferably like to see greater diversity in the ability as people have suggested. More variances in what the armoured arms do would help emphasise the character of each mech more. I'd like to see:

View PostAelieth, on November 23 2012 - 06:18 PM, said:

Crazy ideas
Whilst maybe not so wild or not those specifically, I would love to see each class get some specific adjustments to their ability based on their strengths. I love the level of thought bac9 has put into maximising the utility of the current ability for each class, yet I feel you are still getting penalised for it. Giving it a massive buff would be hard to do right and I feel is a poor way to force this ability into the game. At first, I loved turret mode, back when I started, but now it is just dead to me. The idea is great, get more armour and tank fire while taking people out when in reality it makes it harder to hit people as you can't move about for optimal positioning or use cover as well. If anything it should give increased turn speed to compensate for the fact people will jump around you to hit you form the side or behind, limiting that aspect of the downsides.

It might be that other abilities need to have a downside to them too so its more of a choice to employ it in a situation rather than spamming as frequently as possible or at every necessary engagement. Damage increase comes at a small cool down cost after, no fire for a few seconds as if you have overheated but the benefit is you have still made a greater damage output. Stuff like that. I do not like this idea however. I think its the wrong way to go completely. It is much preferable to make something better than to make everything else worse for the sake of balancing the issue at hand.

Adjusting the frontal armour benefits is a great idea. It fits with what you visually see and makes sense. The main issue still remains however. Your drawings are superb bac9 but they capture the stationary aspect perfectly too. Forming a semi-mobile shield wall only helps in one direction and covering those behind wouldn't work in more open spaces, again a situational benefit. It would greatly add to the tactical and strategic side to things so I'd love to see it. I'm still left wanting more unfortunately as until I see a suggestion without a downside, I'll still feel a little hard-done-by. So far the only one that seems to fit that for me is the brawler 'ramming' ability which I don't think fits in a game with no melee attack although that could be the c-classes 'thing'. A series of charging abilities would have a greater potential for benefit over loss. A temporary boost of speed is an ability I don't think has been explored too much.

Thinking about it in a literal sense of what each class' role is intended for, the c-class is the tank. It should be soaking up fire so team mates can do what they need to do better. This often happens without the ability in use at all and so a buff at minimum is required. Suggestions in this respect include better repair rate, better armour increase, greater damage reduction, greater surrounding area of protection. As a tactical tool, directional protection is the key suggestion to improve its tactical use. Ignoring the situational condition of such an ability, all these suggestions are great ways to buff up turret mode. I hope others agree and the dev's can understand we want to make this work too!

Edited by Subdivision, December 05 2012 - 05:50 AM.

Posted Image

#42 NY_TimeBombTimmy

NY_TimeBombTimmy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationB-LO

Posted December 05 2012 - 08:05 AM

This is a really hard thing to deal with. I've been through the other mech classes in previous events, played a lil C in CBE2, and strictly C in CBE3. As others have mentioned, turret mode is a hard nut to crack. I liked the ideas Spiderz and bac9 put forward, but also sympathize with Subdivision. No other ability has such tremendous downsides compared to turret mode! To note though, you can be in turret mode the entire game, it doesn't have a limited time like other abilities. There needs to be some balance, and to work with what we have.

So on that note, I propose a sort of mash-up of the two main ideas I've seen. A modified 'riot shield'.

How it looks:
The large shields rotate and come down to your side (sort of mid-point into the repair animation before you sit), the mech is still standing on its feet. They are positioned vertically, located at ~30 and 330 degrees, and maybe take up 2% of your field of view (you have a visual indicator they are active, besides a countdown bar).

How it functions:
Provides additional directional protection from fire. Approx. 60 degrees side protection (total) of up to 65% damage reduction. You are still able to walk, dodge/boost, and fire. The ability lasts for 20-30 seconds. 'Startup' time is ~2 seconds.

The underlying idea:
You are a tank with two gigantic shields that can be used for additional protection in times of need. Each provides 30 degrees of protection on the front sides of your mech. There's no 'active' protection from incoming fire. You are still vulnerable directly head on (~30 degrees of non-protection), from the rear, top and bottom. There's no nerf of movement or turning ability.

*note all numbers above are just initial thoughts

I know it's not perfect, but I think it would be useful for all variations of C. It is very similar to the ability of another mech (can't recall specifically), but maybe this one lasts longer/is more effective. Weapon animations might need to be slightly adjusted to compensate for the change, specifically the hellfires.

To keep on track with the poll, I think the turret mode needs to be completely rethought or completely changed to a different ability.

#43 EMEUTIER

EMEUTIER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia

Posted December 05 2012 - 08:16 AM

I also thought it was kinda funny that when in turret mode the mech's legs don't move when walking. >.<
Posted Image

#44 Spliff_Craven

Spliff_Craven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted December 05 2012 - 11:47 AM

Be warned. The New Cupcake class is coming. Here's my response to it:

View PostSpliff_Craven, on December 05 2012 - 10:36 AM, said:

OMG! The TURRET MODE IS BROKEN!
With all due respect...What are you thinking_!_ :angry:

Why offer the CUPCAKE class with such a terrible ability nobody but noobies use_ :blink:
If you don't believe me, check out what your players think:

http://community.pla...91-turret-mode/
http://community.pla...-official-poll/

I certainly hope the CUPCAKE class is fixed by 12/12/12.

Don't get me wrong I know you all mean well, but the turret mode is suicide.
Watch how many people play that class. Look at the survivability. I guarantee the people that do not transform live dramatically longer.
I do love playing the Turret class. But transforming is too punishing. It is a death sentence!
For the love of all thats Hawken please fix this class!

One improvement would be the PY-R0 H0G Repair Drone repairing yound "Attacking" anyone shooting at you {like a deployable rocket/machine gun turret} so you are not completely vulnerable while attacking. :D
Another would be to make the turrets able to withstand a few attacks. Actually boost the defence capability while deployed! :angry:

I sure hope thy listen to our ideas.In my column Turret Mode other people agree with us as well. Turret class is broken and needs tro be fixed or replaced with something that works!

Check out my Repair Drone Initiative and Hot Swapping Deployables/Internals in Match forums as well :D

Edited by Spliff_Craven, December 05 2012 - 11:50 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users