HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

On Taunts

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

Poll: Who loves taunts in here_ (282 member(s) have cast votes)

Who loves taunts in here_

1. Me wants! (141 votes [55.51%])

Percentage of vote: 55.51%

2. Not me (47 votes [18.50%])

Percentage of vote: 18.50%

3. Meh (66 votes [25.98%])

Percentage of vote: 25.98%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted May 13 2011 - 07:35 AM

Yeah. Taunts, taunts :D

I'd differentiate taunts into 2 different branches.

1.- Tactical taunts:

The typical ones..  you know. Not everyone uses team voice chat online. I'm one of those who like to, although I'm also one of those who likes to use these in FPS games. I'd suggest both dude and dudette based available ones * language.

2.- Emotional taunts:

Madness, Challenging, mocking, laughing and so forth... A must have, IMO!.

2.1.- Whistles:

Yeah, you did hear it well.. :)

Crazy but might be fun as well. I'm sure on that you devs can create a whistle taunt per every standard emotional taunt. At the same time, you could save localization efforts pretty much thanks to this new concept. I say new because I've not seen yet any game using this kind of taunts. Hawken might be the first at implementing these. No_. Or like some sort of eastern egg then if you want... ;)

The UI is gonna be important here, in order to make it easy during the fights. I'd suggest the utilization of both keyboard ( opening shortcut ) and mouse to launch these. ( This obviously apllying at the PC case, aha ). :)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#2 JackDandy

JackDandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationHaifa, Israel

Posted May 13 2011 - 12:57 PM

IMO it could be nice, but really not that important to the game.

Wouldn't mind if it makes it in, but won't be bothered if it won't.  :lol:

#3 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted May 14 2011 - 05:28 PM

Well, you guys probably think that this is not so important but I've to warn you on the following issues:

1.- Not everyone playing online does speak international languages pretty well.

2.- Not everyone uses team speak systems. ( in-game or not.. )

3.- There're a lot of shy people who have really good skills playing FPS games. So maybe they do not like to speak much and rather prefer typing than talking.

4.- I've suggested both male and female taunts due that everyday we've got more women playing, to say the least, FPS games.

Dunno, but I do really think that this subject is pretty relevant for this game as well. Additionally, most of the games go with some pretty decent taunts. So if you want to put little efforts into localization then go with the innovative whistle based taunts. :D

Although, once more, this is just an idea! :)

Edited by The_Silencer, February 06 2013 - 01:51 PM.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#4 DarkS7ar

DarkS7ar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted May 21 2011 - 06:02 AM

HAAHHA! I want my mech to have a custom horn. ERRRR EEERRRR!! lol jk of course.
Above the sky, beneath the stars.
Is where I soar, and your world is no more.

http://i306.photobuc...597d4c3e0b5.jpg
^Queen of sniping.

DESTROY   Cupcake!

#5 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted May 25 2011 - 03:41 AM

That would be hillarious, indeed! :P

Some of extra flexibility/freedom to mod the wave-sounds for this game would be very appreciated here at my end.

I've got some few crazy ideas on the matter as well.
So keep up this thread alive!. Lol ;)

Posted Image

#6 Ilhan

Ilhan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted August 16 2011 - 05:41 PM

Don't feel it would fit on the post-apocalyptical world of hawken.

This is not battlefield heroes  :lol:

#7 SixEcho

SixEcho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted August 17 2011 - 10:42 AM

Honestly, I'd love a foghorn I could just attach to my mech and blast at random in taunting manner.

#8 Drill1

Drill1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted August 18 2011 - 07:50 AM

Back when Mechwarrior was on the msn game site around the turn of the century we would get into the chat gallery or pre game chat to set up matches, yes I was in a clan back than and the only thing I can remember is Stormbringer who was head of the clan would taunt other clan into to clan battles. We would get into there heads a little and have them fight us on purely emotions.   I believe  today they call it gamesmanship

always,

drill

PS: new to forum and been trying to follow the progress of this game ever since micro$ took it over. Is this a new version or the same game_  Last I heard there was a cease and desist order or something that delayed the game again.   Please up date me.

#9 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted August 29 2011 - 12:07 PM

TheDubstepDisciple said:

Honestly, I'd love a foghorn I could just attach to my mech and blast at random in taunting manner.

You mean anything a la the remake of the War of The Worlds movie for, let's say, the heavy mech_ :P.

That would be damn scary, indeed! :D

Posted Image

#10 k0rN_b4LL

k0rN_b4LL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted September 04 2011 - 08:29 AM

As long as they don't go overboard and do things that would just piss people off.   Teabagging is one of my most hated things about gaming these days.   I hate seeing it, I don't ever do it, it is just plain unecessary.  (granted I know they can't get rid of it as long as there is a crouch funcion, I'm just saying)  Now if you want a horn to play a quick Dixie chord Dukes of Hazard style every time you get a kill then yeah I could be into things like that.

#11 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted September 04 2011 - 01:24 PM

That's true. Would be good idea to do not play taunts of players you decide to mute as well.

Posted Image

#12 V3RTIGO

V3RTIGO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted September 26 2011 - 03:38 PM

Would I like my mech to blare out taunts in a deep-scary-mechanical tones, YEAH! or maybe have my mech play some good techno... actually, I guess I can just do that myself.

Posted Image

"Humans are not rational, but rationalizing."

#13 Flyingdebris

Flyingdebris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted September 26 2011 - 11:52 PM

Taunts-wise,

I'd be more interested in just having little special animations or sound FX for goofing around, not so much actual dialogue.

Like waving one of your guns or spinning in place or popping a few harmless fireworks out the back of your mech or having a horn that plays la cucaracha or dixie.
Mech time all the time

#14 Nitris

Nitris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted September 27 2011 - 04:31 AM

The more interaction, both audible and visual the better- look at TF2. Screams of pain, leering comments, and taunts a-plenty, with also the odd warning to team mates "Sentry ahead!" "Flank left!" etc.

I think something similar could work very well for this game. Ok, not screams of pain, but more like "Taking fire!" "Damnit, I'm hit!" "Cover me!" and/or "Eat THAT!" "Yeehawww!" "Kaboom!" when you take someone out. Not to mention, "I'm repairing! Keep me covered!" "Drop a turret here!" "Enemy to the right!"

If there was a way to do some visual taunts, perhaps spinning weapons like that dude in the mech suit in The Matrix 3_ I dunno, there's not many that spring to mind that would be possible without proper hands and arms, or indeed, a face.

Maybe some sort of spray_ Ala HL2 (and other source games) For proudly spraying your clan's logo next to the burning wreak of your foe.

Just some ideas from a guy on his lunch break.
Don't fight back. Fight forward.

#15 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted September 28 2011 - 12:14 PM

Y-e-a-h... tactical taunts, mocking at your opponents. I'd love that into Hawken. Or even imagine some short-cut to rapidly open a list of these...

I've to admit that the special animations suggestion shines like pure gold to me as well! ;)

Posted Image

#16 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted September 01 2012 - 09:29 AM

I think that a claxon proportionally as powerful as your mech class is would be something as scary as awesome in the game. :D

Sound settings to switch it on/off would be much appreciate. Basically for those abusing of it. And/or allow one of these in some decent and moderate time interval .. as for example, 1 per minute. Just for the surprise factor, if you wish.. :)

Posted Image

#17 MadMike

MadMike

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • LocationWhere it snows and melts

Posted September 17 2012 - 07:22 PM

I'm not much for cocky jock army slang and fast animations where the mech looks like its showing an emotion would seem childish on a game like this, I can see possibly a few kool stances a mech could go into, other than that nah on taunts.
MadMike | Steam: (ask me!) | Wii U: madmikev2 | 3DS: 3823-8695-8435
SuperDuoBros. channel: http://www.youtube.c...uoBros/featured | UYA Gamers: http://steamcommunit...roups/uyagamers

#18 C_K0r

C_K0r

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted September 18 2012 - 12:03 AM

Dude in a game like this it NEEDS it... Well not really but it is awesome in any games. People dont really pay attention to them, but they often make you laugh your fuzzy bunny off. And you know that just might be a nice addition to this world of destruction ^^

#19 Bewitched

Bewitched

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted September 19 2012 - 05:40 PM

View PostNitris, on September 27 2011 - 04:31 AM, said:

The more interaction, both audible and visual the better- look at TF2. Screams of pain, leering comments, and taunts a-plenty, with also the odd warning to team mates "Sentry ahead!" "Flank left!" etc.

I think something similar could work very well for this game. Ok, not screams of pain, but more like "Taking fire!" "Damnit, I'm hit!" "Cover me!" and/or "Eat THAT!" "Yeehawww!" "Kaboom!" when you take someone out. Not to mention, "I'm repairing! Keep me covered!" "Drop a turret here!" "Enemy to the right!"

If there was a way to do some visual taunts, perhaps spinning weapons like that dude in the mech suit in The Matrix 3_ I dunno, there's not many that spring to mind that would be possible without proper hands and arms, or indeed, a face.

Maybe some sort of spray_ Ala HL2 (and other source games) For proudly spraying your clan's logo next to the burning wreak of your foe.

Just some ideas from a guy on his lunch break.
You know what other big online game was really good about this_ Allegiance. It's a space combat simulator that's almost exclusively played online and has premade audio responses for EVERYTHING, since it was first developed back when voice chat didn't appear to have really caught on as an idea yet. There are even audio responses you can use which go beyond just directing players in combat, like "READ THE CHAT!" and "Please stop spamming..." in the appropriate angry and exasperated moods.

All that said, a horn on a mech might also be an interesting tactical decision. It could be used as a cue to signal other players, misdirect enemies on main attack thrusts if they're not paying attention, and to do other tricky things that I'm sure  more clever players than I can think of.
"The SDR-5V Spider introduces the Inner Sphere to the future of battlefield fleeing. Blasts, barrages, or bombardments; when running isn't good enough, be good enough to Run Big."
~Zack Parsons of SomethingAwful, Dorkiest Mechs of 3025

#20 T3chnicality

T3chnicality

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  • LocationFlushing, New York

Posted September 20 2012 - 01:20 PM

I'd love to see one mimicking the set up movements of a sumo wrestler Posted Image
You can assume what kind of person I am...but you'd be wrong

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users