HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

The Weapon Suggestion Thread!

• Please log in to reply
886 replies to this topic

#121 Grayark

Grayark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted February 08 2012 - 01:48 PM

The_Silencer said:

Right.

Imagine my defensive EMP burst idea like some sort of instant energy shield, with a max. diameter of 10 mts. or so, which is just able to disable missile guidance systems heading to you in the last moment.

Once the incoming missiles have been fooled you'll need to dodge very quick, due that those incomings will randomly impact near to your latest location, before the EMP pulse. Remember that your energy will be almost exhausted. So your maneurability abilities will be quite reduced, as well as your further mobility in order to counter, dodge and/or evade any other kind of attacks from any other enemy around.

Hope this helps a bit more to understand the concept that I'm suggesting on here. :)

ok that makes more sense. but in effect that's not a traditional "electromagnetic pulse"
that sounds more like a missile guidance/ anti lock type radiation based counter measure. possibly something like a high powered microwave emitter which fries circuitry etc.

#122 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted February 08 2012 - 02:37 PM

Well... more or less. Here, have you seen The Matrix movie_

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#123 Grayark

Grayark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted February 09 2012 - 02:07 AM

The_Silencer said:

Well... more or less. Here, have you seen The Matrix movie_

only about 2000 million times_ :lol:

#124 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted February 09 2012 - 10:32 AM

Then you can find good examples in The Matrix, on how may look and work in the game, an EMP burst like the one we're discussing in here. :)

Although the ratio or area of effect that I'm suggesting for these should not be as big as the ones seen in The Matrix to disable sentinels.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#125 LoverzCry

LoverzCry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted February 10 2012 - 04:26 AM

Not sure if it's been mentioned already, but some sort of Mortar/Artillery with an arc that has no proper sights. Also perhaps a self-destruck mechanism that can be activated as something of a suicidal charge that takes time to heat up once it's activated (something like an overheating of the power supply or another thing similar to tha textent) and cannot be disengaged.

#126 Grayark

Grayark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted February 10 2012 - 07:23 AM

The_Silencer said:

Then you can find good examples in The Matrix, on how may look and work in the game, an EMP burst like the one we're discussing in here. :)

Although the ratio or area of effect that I'm suggesting for these should not be as big as the ones seen in The Matrix to disable sentinels.

Yeah i see what you are talking about, though even in the matrix they had to power down the ship to avoid damage to their own components, and that EMP burst is unidirectional.
My point was that any EMP burst would be unidirectional and affect the user as well as his target... unless theres a power kill switch the user can use just before setting off an EMP, in which case it would take the pilot time to reboot his Mech.

@LoverzCry:
Already suggested something similar mate :D. check the Special Equipment Suggestions Compendium. I think that is pretty similar to what you are talking about.

#127 Stranaton

Stranaton

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted February 10 2012 - 08:31 AM

a leg stabilizer that keeps you from moving while activated, but allows for far greater accuracy, even while under fire.

#128 phaXion

phaXion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted February 10 2012 - 09:57 AM

Didn't read the entire thread, so I'm not sure whether this came up yet.
But wouldn't some kind of EMP grenade or Tazer projectile be cool_
A secondary fire option that would shoot some kind of electric harpoon into the enemy and disable his guided missile system or crosshair.
Or maybe even keep you from communicating with your allies because it jams your mic or something_

Edit: Sorry I didn't even notice the part about the EMP that someone already came up with! Some kind of tazer projectile would still be cool though :D
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

#129 WeirdBall

WeirdBall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted February 10 2012 - 05:01 PM

LoverzCry said:

Also perhaps a self-destruck mechanism that can be activated as something of a suicidal charge that takes time to heat up once it's activated (something like an overheating of the power supply or another thing similar to tha textent) and cannot be disengaged.

Sorry to kinda shoot you down but the only way this would be a viable idea is if melee weapons were implemented, because the self destruct wouldn't effect some1 who's firing at you with missles or something. Also if melee weapons were implemented, this would be their counter, whcih kind of defeats how melee weapons are supposed to be superior to ranged weapons.

I like the idea of a tazer as a matter of fact a very vivid image to me of a metal chain firing from your weapon which flies in an arc where your reticle is aiming and then pulls whoever it hits towards you where you can beat him down with a melee weapon.
weirdball's mantra

#130 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted February 11 2012 - 06:52 PM

Grayark said:

The_Silencer said:

Yeah i see what you are talking about, though even in the matrix they had to power down the ship to avoid damage to their own components, and that EMP burst is unidirectional.
My point was that any EMP burst would be unidirectional and affect the user as well as his target... unless theres a power kill switch the user can use just before setting off an EMP, in which case it would take the pilot time to reboot his Mech.

Yep, good. Actually I think that this defensive burst should be not only EMP but some sort of mixed countermeassure. Would be pretty lame to get your mech powered-off when you trigger the burst.

Enemy weapons may be guided by optical, radar, IR or thermal signals. So maybe a good SCI-FI looking combined burst would be the way. And the reason to drain a good amount of energy to your mech as well. This way you should have the minimum energy just to escape or dodge the fooled incomings.

In case that there are several enemies around then better to use some other tactic and/or gear. You know.. :)

So we could call to this thing.. Defensive Interference Burst. Or something... :D

Posted Image

#131 LoverzCry

LoverzCry

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted February 13 2012 - 05:10 AM

Weirdball said:

I like the idea of a tazer as a matter of fact a very vivid image to me of a metal chain firing from your weapon which flies in an arc where your reticle is aiming and then pulls whoever it hits towards you where you can beat him down with a melee weapon.

Haha no worries, that is a valid point. In that case though, I think some sort of defensive chaff-like flare would be handy to throw off rockets and other such ballistic weaponry.

That "tazer" idea sounds really neat as well, I could see that working with a limited range and a short stun time that freezes the mech's systems. That being said, I could also see this being heavily abused (albeit a good idea).

#132 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted February 13 2012 - 07:26 AM

Well... I'm not a fan of paralyzers and stuns in FPS games. These tend to be as something pretty annoying the gamer experience. Also, the situation within playing solo fights or duels or team fights may highlight this issue even more, IMO.

May be a matter of tastes, if you wish. But, just to mention some, they screwed AvP3 because of those annoying stuns. Kind of senseless limitation and lame substraction of fun in, for example, that game...

Posted Image

#133 phaXion

phaXion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted February 13 2012 - 01:31 PM

It shouldn't be a stun, more like a tactical disable. Like.. (I don't know whether this will be implemented but w/e) when you meet the enemy team's "leader", the one that gives out commands or something, you could shoot a tazer in his mech that would disable him from communicating with his team. Ofcourse, programs like teamspeak would totally ignore the tazer which makes this kind of useless.

So.. I totally agree on the fact that it shouldn't completely stun an oponent. But some kind of harpoony lazer that sticks onto the enemy mech for a while, just being annoying, not a total stun. Disabling guiding systems, those sorts of things. I don't know if secondary fires and the cusomizations of these will be available, but adding something like this would certainly add a more tactical aspect to game. In my opinion, ofcourse!

Btw, for the people that played LoL, think of Rumble's harpoon. It's awesome!
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

#134 Naraklok

Naraklok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted February 13 2012 - 05:28 PM

This game does not need tasers. It needs big guns.
Naraklok

#135 AGX04

AGX04

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted February 13 2012 - 07:11 PM

I don't really know if is't been suggested but I'll throw it anyway.

Glue/Goo weapons system either bullets/spray or missiles:

Because it is organical or made of waste products it become brittle after some time.
No damage; Slow mech down, obstruct vision, Can be lattered on floor and wall, maybe create a ''web'' in tight places.
May or may not be flammable or electricaly conductive.

Edit: Well, seem like it was my bad.

#136 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted February 14 2012 - 06:38 AM

IIRC, someone suggested something similar to that months ago. Does not look bad to me. :)

Another option would be dropping some of oil on the map so mechs can moderately skate for a while.

Posted Image

#137 Naraklok

Naraklok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted February 14 2012 - 12:03 PM

Not sure about goo or oil. But causing a mech to "slow down" during battle could potentially be truly gratifying.

Then again from what we've seen so far the mechs don't move relatively fast. So I'm not sure if this absolutely a must a in my opinion. I was thinking something along the lines of - getting hit by enemy rockets for example would hinder a slower movement speed for a brief moment while taking the damage.

I would sure hate to pick the light mech and just get spammed by goo attacks.
Naraklok

#138 AGX04

AGX04

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted February 14 2012 - 02:05 PM

I've thought of 2 more weapons that I didn't really see, so here goes:

Sonic Buster aka Sonic Boom!
Linear path, Large  Cone shaped dispersion not affected by gravity, short-medium range with damage that quickly diminish with distance, up to the point it only cause a enemy to shake. Could be fun if it destroyed rockets and missiles in flight. Need to be really loud and annoying(Finger on a chalkboard-style) for half a second before losing all hearing for a few second (pilot is numbed by is cockpit vibrating) when you'll be hit at point blank range.
So the first time someone hit you with it you coudn't help but remove your earphones. :twisted:  Loudness and disconfort also decrease with distance.

Second weapon is a variation of the heated metal weapons that exist in most game:
Limited number of ''metal slabs'' that must be heated-up after the previous expired.
Ex: 10 ''slabs''  10 seconds heating time after previous ''slabs'' as expired. ''Slabs'' cannot be rotated after being set in heating chamber.
Two fireing modes:
Spray and pray where the ''slab'' is consummed by a grinder of some sort and ejected at a regular pace (essentially a sawed-off machine gun) in terms of accuracy and range. Damage per shard is abysmal but ROF is laugh like a maniac style  :lol:
Alternate fire, where the ''slab'' Or what is actually remaining of it, is ejected, like the previous description. Cause much higher(depending on percentage remaining) damage and armor penetration, medium range, would not fly straight as it is a molten ''slab''.

#139 Mech Mechanic

Mech Mechanic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 904 posts

Posted February 14 2012 - 08:05 PM

Dual Gatling guns.

Dual Gatling rail gun. (Precision and accuracy with mass drivers but a lapse of fire)

Dual Gatling cannon gun. (A slow rate of fire with a daring punch)

Rail Guns. (The classic insta gib) One shot suffice to take you out.

#140 Naraklok

Naraklok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted February 14 2012 - 10:09 PM

Rail gunzzzz, cheaaa.
Naraklok

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users