HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

The Weapon Suggestion Thread!

• Please log in to reply
886 replies to this topic

#101 Crow

Crow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted September 28 2011 - 07:53 PM

From What I have seen light mechs aren't all that fast enough to need to use that...

#102 V3RTIGO

V3RTIGO

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted September 29 2011 - 03:26 AM

Eh... oh well, I suppose diplomacy was worth a shot... BTW, did anyone else hear adhesive mention possible artillery like weapons possibly being in the game_

Posted Image

"Humans are not rational, but rationalizing."

#103 WeirdBall

WeirdBall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted October 10 2011 - 10:44 AM

Grappling Hook

I have no idea if this has been mentioned yet but it would be VERY interesting if this game wasnt all about mechs shooting at each other. For example what if a light mech could fire a grappling hook at the ground or at another mech that dragged it toward the target dealing some damage. This could then set up for another melee weapon to be used, like a saw or drill.

Imo, they should add a type of mech that was geared towards getting close to another mech and fucking it up, it would have stealth capabilities allowing it to do this etc.

I also do NOT support lasers being implemented for the simple reason that this isnt mech warrior, its a battle over resources, so lasers dont really fit with the theme.
weirdball's mantra

#104 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted October 13 2011 - 11:10 AM

Although moderately slow energy balls sound as something pretty promising to me. Think of the Total Annihilation D-gun but in some kind of working slow-mo fashion. For example, to counter intel and or whatever else in a non-final-lethal way this might work pretty well in the game, IMO. EMP, if you want.

The hook thing looks funny to me. Why not_ :D

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#105 SonofX-51

SonofX-51

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted October 13 2011 - 05:43 PM

A type of grappling hook type weapon, but not exactly. Anyone familiar with the painkiller weapon from the Painkiller games and the energy lasso from Bulletstorm, this is kinda like that.

A utilitarian device, it's original use would be for mechs to haul equipment, supplies or findings/winnings from a battle. It can also however be used as a grappling hook to susepnd a mech giving it an advantage of surprise t say a large overhang or bridge, also could be used to attach to enemies to keep up with them and slow them down.

#106 TheDoctor1

TheDoctor1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted November 01 2011 - 09:47 AM

An electric lance.

I don’t know if anyone else here played Tribes 2 growing up, but they had a weapon called the shocklance. It was primarily equipped by the light class to shock the heavy class in the back by sneaking up on them. It relied almost completely on stealth due to its range being all but nonexistent. The upside to this was that it was an instant kill if got in the back, and only the back.

Now to tweak it for Hawken I think it should still have a nonexistent range but instead of the strength to kill it I was thinking one of the following:

- Disable the mech for a few seconds
- Cause the gauges on the HUD to go nuts, making you lose your perspective on your health/ammo etc for about 20-30 seconds
- If you jets are going, they shut off or visa versa (stop people from running, or make them fly away if they are pestering you)

All of these come with the risk of extreme proximity with someone trying to shoot your face off. Also I don’t know if Hawken will have anything like weapon penalties but I thought it might be interesting to possibly every now and again have you stick to whomever you are attacking, sort of welding your weapon to the mech's armor on contact due to the high heat of the electricity.

Just an idea!

#107 SpudNick

SpudNick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted November 05 2011 - 01:55 AM

Ion Cannon
Left hand weapon. High damage low rate of fire, overheats after one shot. Fires a Blue ball of light at your target.

#108 SpudNick

SpudNick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted November 05 2011 - 03:34 AM

This is more of an attack than a weapon but hey: A forward dash that you could use to charge into your target and knock them back or completely over. Weight and speed should play a role into how far you get knocked back and if you get knocked over at all. for example a light mech would not be able to knock over a heavy mech but could still knock them back.

This tactic would be used to daze your target and get them off balanced witch would make them have to adjust their aim. You could also have a shield/armor plate attached to the shoulder of your mech to use as a ramming device.

#109 Crow

Crow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts

Posted November 05 2011 - 08:46 AM

Dozer said:

Ion Cannon
Left hand weapon. High damage low rate of fire, overheats after one shot. Fires a Blue ball of light at your target.
I think this already exists in the game, not the plue ball of light part but the secondary weap they had already mentioned.

#110 SpudNick

SpudNick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted November 05 2011 - 09:46 AM

I guess I'm just asking for a different sound and graphical effect for that weapon :P

Something that we have seen in Sci-Fi movies like District 9 MIB or Transformers. I don't think energy weapons would mix well with the art design that this game is going for but one heavy energy weapon would be nice.

#111 M055

M055

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted November 05 2011 - 06:21 PM

These are really specialized and would be more like CoD Blue perks/equipment
Magma rifle
Melts anything and everything. Melts the ground beneath your enemies, which can weld them down depending on their legs (if multiple kinds). Low ammunition (like 3), like 1 shot / 5 seconds.
Disruption Blade
Very close range, high damage, can screw with controls (not movement)/display of hit enemies for a short time.
Arc Rifle
Highly accurate bullets that move in a screw path giving them the ability to pass around some walls and hit things behind them.

#112 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted November 10 2011 - 11:33 AM

I think that an EMP weapon for this game would be cool. BUT.. only if it does not completely disables the enemy. Instead, it could cause serious malfunction by, let's say, 55% or so of your opponent systems. Also I'd make it a one use only, that is 1 EMP per mecha.

For example, the systems aff3cted by the EMP charge could disrupt intel in bursts and/or in the same way, could lower the functionality of [i]main[i/] weapons ( mostly by random malfunction during some time ) and also disabling secondaries.

Just an idea. But my point basically is to not fully disable the mecha because of an hypothetical EMP based weapon. Right_. :D

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#113 Mako109

Mako109

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Location'MERICA

Posted December 06 2011 - 10:02 PM

The_Silencer said:

I think that an EMP weapon for this game would be cool. BUT.. only if it does not completely disables the enemy. Instead, it could cause serious malfunction by, let's say, 55% or so of your opponent systems. Also I'd make it a one use only, that is 1 EMP per mecha.

For example, the systems aff3cted by the EMP charge could disrupt intel in bursts and/or in the same way, could lower the functionality of [i]main[i/] weapons ( mostly by random malfunction during some time ) and also disabling secondaries.

Just an idea. But my point basically is to not fully disable the mecha because of an hypothetical EMP based weapon. Right_. :D

I had an idea similar to this.

An EMP Grenade launcher.

So, basically, if equipped, it gives you the ability to launch a grenade that will mess with enemy electronics. It'll be an explode on contact weapon that does no damage. However, it does much more.

Part 1: It has a pretty slow reloading time, making it a weapon you can't just spam. For example, 30 seconds, more or less.

Part 2: To be used effectively, it HAS to be fired at a sufficient angle. For example, if you fire this sucker straight in front of you, it will just plop down not too far in front of you. If you are boosting (or whatever that jumpjet system is called) towards it while firing, chances are, you'll get hit by the blast. Now, if you fire it at, let's say, a 30 degree angle, it will go farther, and be more effective.

Part 3: This weapon does NOT disable Leg Parts, weapons, or the jump jet system. What it WILL mess with is the cockpit mechanics, such as the Health gauge, cross hairs, objective targeting systems, or enemy targeting systems. it could also temporarily disable those stationary turrets I saw in one of the videos. For the enemy mechs, a proper time for being disabled could maybe be 5 seconds, with the turrets being 7 or 8.

That's pretty much it. Not only does this weapon work as an effective "Calm before the storm" weapon (I.E. shoot this sucker at an enemy just before engaging), but it also works as a great Team Support weapon, disabling turrets and enemy electronics, giving your team a slight upper hand.

But you have to be a good shot, because this weapon can disable allied turrets and mechs as we- Uhh...Check that, I don't want trolling in this awesome looking game.

However, because of a slow reloading time, it might not be a very effective weapon to arm yourself with. Perhaps an extra item slot could be added_ I.E., instead of the EMP Grenade Launcher, a mobile radar (Accessed by all your team - used in short bursts) or a flashlight (for vision obstruction or the lighting of darker areas) could be used. Or perhaps an item that increases your boost/jump jet time!

The possibilities are endless!
Posted Image
Merry Christmas, you filthy animal

#114 Naraklok

Naraklok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted December 10 2011 - 06:57 PM

Guns, guns and more guns_

Curious if there will be load-outs(_).
Naraklok

#115 Nyanman

Nyanman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted January 16 2012 - 12:42 PM

how about an 'ion cannon' or something like that_ It would fire some sort of charged particle that travels the speed of light, so it would be a bit different from leading the target and all. Would require a bit of getting used to, but could be high damage and very low fire rate. sorta like the ion cannon in Dystopia or the Quake III railgun. Hard to use, but effective when it works.

Rockets seem to be there, but how about a rocket pod for incendiary rockets_ being rockets, they would fly in a straight line until they hit something, which would then catch fire. the pod holds maybe 4 rockets and can reload_

also, a steerable missile. would be a rocket launcher with one rocket that needs to hit before reloading. Sorta like wire-guided missiles. Could even have two firemodes, one where the rocket follows a red dot, the alternate is where you see a screen that shows what a camera in the front of the rocket sees, and you can steer the rocket right into something. however, you can't move when steering the rocket, so it balances out.

my mind has gone blank now.

#116 Sokrates

Sokrates

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted February 06 2012 - 02:30 PM

I'd definitely love to see different sorts of missiles, much along the lines of what H.A.W.X. had.

-Multi-Target Homing Missiles. Pretty self-explanatory. locks on to up to three(four_) Targets simultaneously and fires a missile at each one.
-'Dumb Ordnance' Rocket Pods. Light missiles with very limited range than can be fired rapidly.
-Flare Pod. A sort of decoy ordnance that disrupts heat-seeking ordnances.
-Some sort of EMP. Already been said, but cannot be stressed enough.

'Tis all I have for now. Really excited about this game.  :)

EDIT: Oh, and here's an interesting one: Laser-tagged artillery strikes_ Would have to be single-use, and have a delay of sorts so it doesn't obliterate the target instantly without warning, but still powerful. Like the Javelin in MW2. Debatably easy to escape, but absolutely fatal when it hits.
I hate signatures.

#117 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted February 07 2012 - 12:27 PM

Now that enemy guided missiles were mentioned...

What if your mech could emit an strong EMP burst in that last moment just before you get hit by that or those guided missiles_.

This EMP burst could drain almost all your energy in a hit -> This way these do not end up being too abused by pilots.

It should inherently has short range but with a high damage value (this in order to disable the guidance system of incomings in the last moment).

Subsequently, would be interesting to make this as one pretty risky tactic. Meaning with this that, if the pilot mess its timing up, then his EMP counter meassure gets useless ( plus the energy drain penalty ) and exposing his butt to those pesky incmoings he wants to disable on the go.

Thoughts_ :)

Posted Image

#118 rodier

rodier

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted February 08 2012 - 08:39 AM

I will like to see everything from old MW.
laser guns - small dmg, low heat
plasma - middle dmg, some dot,  middle heat
autocannon - huge dmg, huge hot
small acs..
rockets,  nonaim, autoaim..

and yes, exp system..  you can look in to world of tanks. really good game, big RPG element, many modules, etc..  same can be here..
When you buy robot, you can select which modules to buy.. plasma cannons.. laser cannons.. or rockets.. and then level it to better stats..  until u can afford better mech..

#119 Grayark

Grayark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted February 08 2012 - 09:11 AM

The_Silencer said:

Now that enemy guided missiles were mentioned...

What if your mech could emit an strong EMP burst in that last moment just before you get hit by that or those guided missiles_.

This EMP burst could drain almost all your energy in a hit -> This way these do not end up being too abused by pilots.

It should inherently has short range but with a high damage value (this in order to disable the guidance system of incomings in the last moment).

Subsequently, would be interesting to make this as one pretty risky tactic. Meaning with this that, if the pilot mess its timing up, then his EMP counter meassure gets useless ( plus the energy drain penalty ) and exposing his butt to those pesky incmoings he wants to disable on the go.

Thoughts_ :)

My only reservation with an EMP burst is that by nature an EMP device would be omni directional and affect the mech triggering it as well. Perhaps if utilised as a separate "drop" item and set of the emp remotely would work better and any mech (friendly or not) caught in the field radius is affected

#120 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted February 08 2012 - 09:33 AM

Right.

Imagine my defensive EMP burst idea like some sort of instant energy shield, with a max. diameter of 10 mts. or so, which is just able to disable missile guidance systems heading to you in the last moment.

Once the incoming missiles have been fooled you'll need to dodge very quick, due that those incomings will randomly impact near to your latest location, before the EMP pulse. Remember that your energy will be almost exhausted. So your maneurability abilities will be quite reduced, as well as your further mobility in order to counter, dodge and/or evade any other kind of attacks from any other enemy around.

Hope this helps a bit more to understand the concept that I'm suggesting on here. :)

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users