HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

The Weapon Suggestion Thread!

• Please log in to reply
886 replies to this topic

#61 DarkS7ar

DarkS7ar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted July 20 2011 - 01:39 PM

NAVY MARCOM said:

beam or energy weapons.. you realize these would be the dumbest weapons in the game..

1 the diffusive atmosphere will degrade any beam, if it doesn't then the game designers have decided to abandon even the most remote concept of physics.

2. you would never SEE the 'beam', actual beam weapons are invisible unless they are put through a sealed vacuum bottle and a diffraction lens.

The future of weapons systems at this time, is rail guns for larger platforms and using existing munition delivery systems with smart ammunitions.  This is why I suggested the ACTUAL systems being used or tested from my previous post.

Your forgetting about Plasma based beams and weapons.
Plasma isn't light or gases like a laser is. Its the fourth state of matter so I'm pretty damn sure it's being tested as a weapon. Electric is a form of plasma, Helllooo the Tazer_ It may not be Space-y Plasma that melts shit, but its a start.

And honestly you want to talk about physics in a mech game_ A robot that is piloted from a human being inside it (As today's standards) Is impossable/ not practical at all. If you want to play a realistic game go play Grand Turismo 5

NAVY MARCOM said:

It's very easy to spot the console gamers and the differing PC gamers in this.. and unfortunately many other topics around here.

Why are you saying that_ Because console gamers aren't realistic and PC gamers are_
That sounds more like a Racist judgment than someone stating a fact to me.
Above the sky, beneath the stars.
Is where I soar, and your world is no more.

http://i306.photobuc...597d4c3e0b5.jpg
^Queen of sniping.

DESTROY   Cupcake!

#62 Ashfire908

Ashfire908

The First Ninja

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted July 20 2011 - 02:02 PM

DarkS7ar said:

NAVY MARCOM said:

beam or energy weapons.. you realize these would be the dumbest weapons in the game..

1 the diffusive atmosphere will degrade any beam, if it doesn't then the game designers have decided to abandon even the most remote concept of physics.

2. you would never SEE the 'beam', actual beam weapons are invisible unless they are put through a sealed vacuum bottle and a diffraction lens.

The future of weapons systems at this time, is rail guns for larger platforms and using existing munition delivery systems with smart ammunitions.  This is why I suggested the ACTUAL systems being used or tested from my previous post.

Plasma isn't light or gases like a laser is. Its the fourth state of matter so I'm pretty damn sure it's being tested as a weapon. Electric is a form of plasma, Helllooo the Tazer_ It may not be Space-y Plasma that melts shit, but its a start.
Er, wrong on some points there. Electricity is not plasma, though it can be used to generate plasma. The example I can come up with most readily is lighting, which due to the tremendous energy involved can convert the air to plasma. A Tazer... not so much. Also, plasma is harder to control because you have to contain it on it's way to the target unless you want it to just dissipate and cool, making it much less practical than say a laser. I don't study that stuff though so that's the limit of my knowledge right there.
Developer of ScrimBot and the canceled Hawken leaderboards
Come join the Hawken IRC Channel and chat about Hawken: #hawkenscrim on irc.quakenet.net
Yes, I am a wizard - There is no cupcake conspiracy
[03:18:55 pm] <-- ^-^ (webchat@[ip removed]) has quit (Quit: Later All! Also pls ban Kindos7)

#63 NAVY MARCOM

NAVY MARCOM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted July 20 2011 - 02:41 PM

bwahah you need to start a petition to get your government to amend it's hate crime bills to include; ' being butt hurt over my console inferiority complex ' awesome..

Plasma is used daily by myself, from the HID lights in my car to my plasma cutter at the shop, I tend to know the uses of plasma..

As well Plasma happens just about everywhere, the 'weaponized Sci-Fi version' your thinking of has a few problems in particular containment without a field and dissipation without a constant electron source. Not to mention the very reason for Plasma being in it's own 'state' is that it reacts to magnetics, given the environ of the world your playing in, any type of 'plasma bolt' would be torn apart by anything from ferrous metals on the buildings to strong radar/lidar waves..  

At best you could use plasma as a high tech Bowie knife, for close in combat.

What ever is discussed, it ultimately comes down to what the producers and developers of the game want, from the interview on G4 awhile back.. I suspect that you console guys will have all the comix book-y, anime style of colourful lasers and plasma bolts your console delusion  DX9c brain can handle..

DarkS7ar said:

NAVY MARCOM said:

And honestly you want to talk about physics in a mech game_ A robot that is piloted from a human being inside it (As today's standards) Is impossable/ not practical at all. If you want to play a realistic game go play Grand Turismo 5

NAVY MARCOM said:

It's very easy to spot the console gamers and the differing PC gamers in this.. and unfortunately many other topics around here.

Why are you saying that_ Because console gamers aren't realistic and PC gamers are_

gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 AMD 1090TG-Skills 1333 Ripjaw X 16gigSapphire 6970 2gigSamsung 2320 x3Steelseries Merc stealth Tritton AX 51 Procoolermaster storm inferno~ 5250gig SATA ,3TB SATA RAID 0 HD space and counting

#64 DarkS7ar

DarkS7ar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted July 20 2011 - 02:47 PM

Ashfire908 said:

Er, wrong on some points there. Electricity is not plasma, though it can be used to generate plasma. The example I can come up with most readily is lighting, which due to the tremendous energy involved can convert the air to plasma. A Tazer... not so much. Also, plasma is harder to control because you have to contain it on it's way to the target unless you want it to just dissipate and cool, making it much less practical than say a laser. I don't study that stuff though so that's the limit of my knowledge right there.

Wait wait hold on if electricity is not plasma then what is_ Heated up particles_

^Queen of sniping.

DESTROY   Cupcake!

#65 DarkS7ar

DarkS7ar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted July 20 2011 - 03:02 PM

NAVY MARCOM said:

bwahah you need to start a petition to get your government to amend it's hate crime bills to include; ' being butt hurt over my console inferiority complex ' awesome..

Butthurt_ please I'm just stating the fact your being a damn asshole for no reason.
You proved me wrong, okay. Your hate for console gamers because you think it was their fault for your PC games blowing a high hard one compared to the standard specs of how it should be is way out of context. You wanna throw your anger at someone Go yell at the developers who ruined the game by downgrading the graphics then maybe just maybe they will stop making crap.
I'm here for Hawken, not for your amusement.

^Queen of sniping.

DESTROY   Cupcake!

#66 Ashfire908

Ashfire908

The First Ninja

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted July 20 2011 - 03:04 PM

DarkS7ar said:

This I agree with. There's a fun vs. realism balance with games. In an FPS where you play just a normal solider, it would be realistic if you died if you took a couple bullets, however it would not be very fun. Gameplay and fun come first. That said, give up enough realism and the immersion breaks down.

DarkS7ar said:

NAVY MARCOM said:

Ditto, don't apply that stupid "console gamers are just retards" stereotype, all it does is make you look elitist.

NAVY MARCOM said:

Oh like you haven't been wrong before. I'm sure your post has errors in it as well...

DarkS7ar said:

Ashfire908 said:

Wait wait hold on if electricity is not plasma then what is_ Heated up particles_
Yes, actually.

From Wikipedia:

Electricity is a general term encompassing a variety of phenomena resulting from the presence and flow of electric charge.

In physics and chemistry, plasma is a state of matter similar to gas in which a certain portion of the particles are ionized.
Come join the Hawken IRC Channel and chat about Hawken: #hawkenscrim on irc.quakenet.net
[03:18:55 pm] <-- ^-^ (webchat@[ip removed]) has quit (Quit: Later All! Also pls ban Kindos7)

#67 NAVY MARCOM

NAVY MARCOM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted July 20 2011 - 03:16 PM

Plasma is a dissociated, Ionized Gas.
gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 AMD 1090TG-Skills 1333 Ripjaw X 16gigSapphire 6970 2gigSamsung 2320 x3Steelseries Merc stealth Tritton AX 51 Procoolermaster storm inferno~ 5250gig SATA ,3TB SATA RAID 0 HD space and counting

#68 NAVY MARCOM

NAVY MARCOM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted July 20 2011 - 03:19 PM

You own a console.. of course your here for my amusement, why else would you be here_ it's not like this game can add new graphics or playability to your console, that was maxed out years ago..  :mrgreen:

Seriously, I've got a million of em' ..

DarkS7ar said:

NAVY MARCOM said:

Butthurt_ please I'm just stating the fact your being a damn asshole for no reason.
You proved me wrong, okay. Your hate for console gamers because you think it was their fault for your PC games blowing a high hard one compared to the standard specs of how it should be is way out of context. You wanna throw your anger at someone Go yell at the developers who ruined the game by downgrading the graphics then maybe just maybe they will stop making crap.
I'm here for Hawken, not for your amusement.

#69 DarkS7ar

DarkS7ar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted July 20 2011 - 05:22 PM

^Your going off topic. :lol:

What about a Magnet gun_ Like okay the cars and street lights are destructible so why can't we us those things as ammo_ You could go Portal style and fling a turret at someone OR better yet use the gun to shoot an already placed turret onto the sides of builds and stuff.

There could even be a Hookshot sort weapon, to use the building to clap onto and get to higher ground faster than you jet booster.

In the game Metal Arms, there was a buzz saw gun. Have something like that that sticks to the target and it does little but consecutive damage.

^Queen of sniping.

DESTROY   Cupcake!

#70 NAVY MARCOM

NAVY MARCOM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted July 20 2011 - 06:12 PM

ok, but thats basically just overcoming the inertia of said object. if it was me then I would be using proper physics for this and the limitations for a small mech would be very different then that of a larger mech.. but just like IW did in MW2 a 5.56 , 7.62 and 50BMG round all did the same damage, which is utter nonsense but that's the way the game was made... it's all up to the dev team to decide how 'real' they make it.

#71 DarkS7ar

DarkS7ar

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted July 20 2011 - 06:56 PM

NAVY MARCOM said:

ok, but thats basically just overcoming the inertia of said object. if it was me then I would be using proper physics for this and the limitations for a small mech would be very different then that of a larger mech.. but just like IW did in MW2 a 5.56 , 7.62 and 50BMG round all did the same damage, which is utter nonsense but that's the way the game was made... it's all up to the dev team to decide how 'real' they make it.

Agreed. But seeing as how this game has different types of weapons all with their own ammo type I don't think this is going to be a problem.
Unless your talking about a .50 ripping open the cockpit or bullet drag then I don't think the Devs are going to make it that detailed.

Though having a hole in the side of your cockpit from an enemy round would be sick :D

^Queen of sniping.

DESTROY   Cupcake!

#72 Ashfire908

Ashfire908

The First Ninja

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted July 20 2011 - 06:59 PM

DarkS7ar said:

Though having a hole in the side of your cockpit from an enemy round would be sick :D
HELL. YES.

#73 NAVY MARCOM

NAVY MARCOM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted July 20 2011 - 08:34 PM

50bmg won't hole armour that's tank or even good heavy APC levels.. but a 30mm depleted uranium round will make some Timmy in a tank a sad sad boy..

#74 Provi

Provi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted July 23 2011 - 03:19 PM

Here's one:

Trip wire crossbow. You can fire off several of these to create a web of traps in a corridor.

There could be several types.

One type could trigger a mine on one end with a range of damage depending on the mech's proximity, another could trigger an immobilizing EMP blast, while another is basically an electric coil that depletes the victim's energy.

#75 MechMechanic

MechMechanic

(MechMechanic)

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted July 25 2011 - 03:12 AM

A good weapon could be the target painter.

1. Paint or mark the target selected.
2. The ship will fire missiles upon the target or cannon fire.

#76 FireMedicRobot

FireMedicRobot

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted July 27 2011 - 03:30 PM

Some kind of seeker missile:

Here is what i'm thinking. Fire a bigger, more powerful, missile or even a cluster of smaller missiles into the air or close to your target. Then fire a tag on your target. The tag is very small and travels at a high velocity and sticks to the opponent. The missiles then recognize that the tag has been placed and diverts to it.

This would aid in having the missiles hit the enemy from behind, or rain them down on top, or a number of other tricky shots. Let me know what you think.

-Neil

#77 winds_of_vengeance

winds_of_vengeance

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted July 30 2011 - 08:26 PM

i like to have a missile with a Sensor Fuzed warhead or a fuel air Explosive
link is for Sensor Fuzed

link is for fuel air Explosive

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas.

#78 Guru_Zeb

Guru_Zeb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted August 02 2011 - 05:03 AM

Who organised the 12 year old anime convention ......... *shakes head*

After reading through this thread am appalled at all the ridiculous 'glowing energy ball connected to 2 wormholes and a neutron star' its called 'Hexq-barrel 210mm particle inverter of school detention'

WTF_!_! NO REALLY WTF _!_!_!_!

Seems to me that a lot of moms forgot to put out doses of Ritalin when most of these ideas got foisted onto the rest of the forum.

Sooooo many utterly idiotic mind spewings half ripped from utterly crap 'C' grade Anime. Surprised no one suggested a 'fan service' special weapon.

Don't get me wrong i love Anime ( well the quality stuff ) and have probably been a hardcore collector of it, since before many of you where born. Its what propelled me to become an animator.

Fortunately as i have stated previously i am confident that the devs have enough good taste and common sense to ignore the vast majority of silly nonsense suggested in this thread and the forum in general.

Sorry if am evolving into self imposed forum hall monitor ..... but am an intelligent critical adult ..... so fakkin' DEAL WITH IT!!!!

Just to show am not all about the negative.

Big props to:
vesper for the fire gel idea
Robert1374 for his melee/ultra close weapons ideas very nice sketches too.
MechMechanics1 \
Both for trying to talk some sense into the thread
NAVY MARCOM /
DarkS7ar for taking the piss with a suggestion that was actually more rational than many serious ideas.
Trip wire or some form of mobility limiting weapon was a good suggestion too. But the poster screwed the concept by spuriously adding 'crossbow' to the concept ..........

This forum is gonna give me an ulcer long before we even see a beta.
It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the juice of the Brew,
that thoughts acquire speed,
the teeth acquire stains,
the stains become a warning.
It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

#79 SixEcho

SixEcho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted August 02 2011 - 07:51 PM

I don't think a simple tracer pod is such a stretch in terms of realism...

#80 Hawk1111

Hawk1111

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts
  • LocationBrussels , BE

Posted August 12 2011 - 05:22 AM

A mechanized Hawken rifle . Would be epic because that's the name of the game ^^
Osaruflix - movie reviews the movie retribrution blog!
Posted Image
WHERE IS MY GOD DANG COFFEE !_

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users