HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Worries about "End Game"

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
74 replies to this topic

#41 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 26 2012 - 06:24 PM

If you can accept that people direct hit in Quake tournaments, then I don't see why you can't comprehend direct hitting in Hawken, where movement is much slower and engagement ranges are much closer
In fact, it might be TOO easy to connect those shots
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#42 Ssuusshhii

Ssuusshhii

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted November 26 2012 - 06:27 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 26 2012 - 06:17 PM, said:

View PostSsuusshhii, on November 26 2012 - 06:13 PM, said:

Please tell me how you'd land a direct hit against an aware opponent when most battles will be fought around control points (where it'd be easy to dash behind cover) or why I should even go for them when I can land a near-hit  that does damage regardless and at a higher success rate.  It becomes more possible in open fights, but again, you'd get more consistent damage exploding it near them than actually predicting the dodge.
You predict where they will go, and fire there.
The reason you go for direct hits, because it does more damage. And even if you happen to miss, you can then detonate for the most shrapnel damage possible.
So no, you get just as consistent damage if you go for direct hits (if you don't suck at target prediction) and you have the possibility of doing more damage than someone who always goes for splash.
Hell, if you're BuDeKai, you're going to hit more often than you miss.

It doesn't matter if you know where they will dodge if there is cover.  That is why manual explosion is dumb because it means you get damage off of situations where you shouldn't be getting them.

Predicting dodges is less consistent because you have to guess between left or right.  Guessing wrong means you get no damage.  In a game where your major source of damage comes from your secondary, it'd be idiotic to go all-in on a 50/50 guess.  Furthermore, smart players playing in an open area without cover would never put themselves in a position where they were close enough to be unable to react to a ToW or GL.  There's no guessing on either side because there's enough distance to just dodge on reaction.

#43 Akrium

Akrium

Mean Kitty

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted November 26 2012 - 06:38 PM

You may just not have played as long as some ppl that have been playing FPS games. At some point you learn to read people. You know where they are going to go because that is either where you would go, or it is the simple case they always dodge to the "x" first. Some people blow their dodge too fast and end up getting themselves in a world of hurt right away. Some spend one second in the air too long or don't do a control burst before they land to throw off the timing of their landing to mislead their enemy. These are all things that can make a huge difference. Still, when fighting good opponents I just typically am aiming for where I would go myself.

Patients and timing is key to using the ToW effectively. If you want to go for splash damage all the time, all I have to do is jump.. I don't even need to dodge. I will win that fight every time.

#44 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 26 2012 - 06:42 PM

View PostSsuusshhii, on November 26 2012 - 06:27 PM, said:

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 26 2012 - 06:17 PM, said:

View PostSsuusshhii, on November 26 2012 - 06:13 PM, said:

Please tell me how you'd land a direct hit against an aware opponent when most battles will be fought around control points (where it'd be easy to dash behind cover) or why I should even go for them when I can land a near-hit  that does damage regardless and at a higher success rate.  It becomes more possible in open fights, but again, you'd get more consistent damage exploding it near them than actually predicting the dodge.
You predict where they will go, and fire there.
The reason you go for direct hits, because it does more damage. And even if you happen to miss, you can then detonate for the most shrapnel damage possible.
So no, you get just as consistent damage if you go for direct hits (if you don't suck at target prediction) and you have the possibility of doing more damage than someone who always goes for splash.
Hell, if you're BuDeKai, you're going to hit more often than you miss.

It doesn't matter if you know where they will dodge if there is cover.  That is why manual explosion is dumb because it means you get damage off of situations where you shouldn't be getting them.

Predicting dodges is less consistent because you have to guess between left or right.  Guessing wrong means you get no damage.  In a game where your major source of damage comes from your secondary, it'd be idiotic to go all-in on a 50/50 guess.  Furthermore, smart players playing in an open area without cover would never put themselves in a position where they were close enough to be unable to react to a ToW or GL.  There's no guessing on either side because there's enough distance to just dodge on reaction.
Wow.
This really does seem to be a case of "Just because I can't, I don't understand how other people can, so it must be hard/impossible."

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#45 Decoy101x

Decoy101x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationPlainfield, Illinois

Posted November 26 2012 - 07:15 PM

played with akrium tonight. he's def no slouch in the game =)  I'm not half bad, but he's better than I.

I do totally understand what he's saying now on both sides of the fence. Seekers need a lower ROF, or lower fly speed, or have their homing abilities a bit toned down.

I do understand what he means also on the hellfires.

I learnt alot from playing with him tonight and I honestly feel ive gotten better because of it.

I hope to play with Akrium and Warpig again!
Crackin' eggs like we crack smoke. Smoke crack_ No! That's bad!

Posted Image

#46 Gestankfaust

Gestankfaust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationOTG Headquarters

Posted November 26 2012 - 09:05 PM

Read the whole thread...could not believe people talking about "end game":.

This is NOT a game that has end game. I do not understand you who think it does. End Game has to do with MMOs and RPGs.

Play the game. Do good. Get your name up there.. STFU if you dont!!

#47 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 26 2012 - 10:06 PM

View PostGestankfaust, on November 26 2012 - 09:05 PM, said:

This is NOT a game that has end game. I do not understand you who think it does. End Game has to do with MMOs and RPGs.

The OP is talking about high end organized/competitive play, as is everyone else
Maybe you should read a little more carefully_
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#48 Gestankfaust

Gestankfaust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted November 26 2012 - 10:09 PM

View PostBeemann, on November 26 2012 - 10:06 PM, said:

The OP is talking about high end organized/competitive play, as is everyone else

As I said...I did

Maybe you people should realize the gameplay of this type....and get over yourselves. If you all are talking about some club of elite user endgame BS...have fun with that.

#49 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 26 2012 - 10:45 PM

View PostGestankfaust, on November 26 2012 - 10:09 PM, said:

As I said...I did

Maybe you people should realize the gameplay of this type....and get over yourselves. If you all are talking about some club of elite user endgame BS...have fun with that.
Maybe because the devs have shown interest in ESports_
Can't have ESports when the high-end play is broken and mangled
We're discussing balance at high end (IE balance where someone getting good doesn't basically break the game) which is something employed in several games (one of them being Starcraft, if you're one of those people who always demands examples :P)
I mean... as it stands, we could shift the meta of Siege to make the game really boring for everyone without changing any of the mechanics it currently has. The only way to win is to basically play the least

Edited by Beemann, November 26 2012 - 10:45 PM.

Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#50 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 26 2012 - 10:45 PM

As I said...I did

Tell me, do you know what "competitive" or "esports" means_
Or do you just not having any @#%!ing clue of what high-end gameplay, aka "End Game", is in a shooter genre_

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#51 c0mad0r

c0mad0r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA. USA

Posted November 26 2012 - 11:03 PM

After having played broken Seige with AsianKillJoy and NotKJell, I don't see how anything other than TDM could be considered "eSport" right now... serious flaws in both Seige and Missile to even contemplate either being a valid "sport".
It is said that idle hands are the Devil's tools. Idle geek hands, however, came up with gunpowder, nuclear weapons, and toilet plungers. -Illiad

Check out my: HAWKEN MUMBLE SKIN
Check out my: HAWKEN TEAMSPEAK SKIN
Check out my: HAWKEN INI's EXPLAINED

#52 Gestankfaust

Gestankfaust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted November 26 2012 - 11:05 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 26 2012 - 10:45 PM, said:

As I said...I did

Tell me, do you know what "competitive" or "esports" means_
Or do you just not having any @#%!ing clue of what high-end gameplay, aka "End Game", is in a shooter genre_

lol...wow

So this is what you Epeen morons have in store for Hawken. Sorry...no I did not even imagine that you morons worried about this. I never would, because I am normal.

#53 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 26 2012 - 11:07 PM

View PostGestankfaust, on November 26 2012 - 11:05 PM, said:

lol...wow

So this is what you Epeen morons have in store for Hawken. Sorry...no I did not even imagine that you morons worried about this. I never would, because I am normal.
So is that a yes or a no_
Or are you just trying to avoid answering because you don't actually know_

AJK is right

#54 Gestankfaust

Gestankfaust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted November 26 2012 - 11:08 PM

Really_

Seriously__

You all care about the most moronic of Egames_!_!

This is what the fuss is about_

Get a friggin clue.....

#55 Gestankfaust

Gestankfaust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted November 26 2012 - 11:09 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 26 2012 - 11:07 PM, said:

lol...wow

Yer an fuzzy bunny...stfu

#56 Gestankfaust

Gestankfaust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted November 26 2012 - 11:13 PM

I guess I am alone here in Hawken. I wanted a cool FPS Mech game with great action....

They are asking for something different. WAY different.

They win....

#57 NotKjell

NotKjell

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts

View Postc0mad0r, on November 26 2012 - 11:03 PM, said:

After having played broken Seige with AsianKillJoy and NotKJell, I don't see how anything other than TDM could be considered "eSport" right now... serious flaws in both Seige and Missile to even contemplate either being a valid "sport".

You know you liked it.

Posted Image

High-level Hawken discussion and play wednesdays at 7:00 PST http://www.twitch.tv/thecockpit

#58 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

View PostGestankfaust, on November 26 2012 - 11:09 PM, said:

lol...wow

So you don't know then_

It's brave of you to admit you don't know what you're talking about.

Props bro.

AJK is right

#59 Gestankfaust

Gestankfaust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted November 26 2012 - 11:15 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 26 2012 - 11:13 PM, said:

View PostGestankfaust, on November 26 2012 - 11:09 PM, said:

lol...wow

So you don't know then_

It's brave of you to admit you don't know what you're talking about.

Props bro.

Dont know what_!_!

Your moms Ericipe for nut bread_

#60 Gestankfaust

Gestankfaust

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted November 26 2012 - 11:16 PM

Admit you are a moron that thinks that more post means more info...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users