HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Have you been called a botter in Hawken_

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#41 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 28 2012 - 05:18 PM

View PostDread_Lord_Pitr, on November 28 2012 - 03:58 PM, said:

Should read; anyone under 18 should not be playing videogames aimed at adults without supervision.

And i say this because i grew up with computers and BBS'es (before the internet came along full force, you know, pre 56.6k), and if at that point in time the BBS operators would have had those same sentiments you just put forth, i would not have been able to learn anything interesting about computers until after i was 18, and i'd not be where i am today.

Besides, how old were you when you started out on the Internet (or BBS'es if you're old enough to have known those) _
Asian and I both firmly recall the dial-up sound from early years (had a small discussion about this sort of thing a couple of times in mumble. Technology/gaming nostalgia conversations are the best)
Also I ended up playing Mortal Kombat long before I hit highschool, and a friend of mine had Doom on a floppy, so that ended up being one of my first shooters (along with Goldeneye) even though I wasn`t really supposed to be playing them :P
I had Fallout and Baldur`s Gate at my disposal in Elementary school (sadly though, Fallout didn't work) and I was firmly entrenched in multiplayer games (without supervision) when I was 13. I had somewhat limited access to the internet prior to that

I think a lot of people get overly bent out of shape when it comes to ratings, especially when you consider some of the bizarre ESRB ratings over the years . Sure it's always good to check out what your kid is doing, but ultimately I think having proper knowledge of the subject matter is infinitely more important than adhering strictly to any outside age-based rating system

Edited by Beemann, November 28 2012 - 05:20 PM.

Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#42 Ollie

Ollie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted November 28 2012 - 05:40 PM

View PostDread_Lord_Pitr, on November 28 2012 - 03:58 PM, said:

View PostSnoof, on November 28 2012 - 03:51 PM, said:

This is what happens when you make competitive games "noob-friendly"..... children under 18 should NOT be allowed on the internet

Should read; anyone under 18 should not be playing videogames aimed at adults without supervision.

And i say this because i grew up with computers and BBS'es (before the internet came along full force, you know, pre 56.6k), and if at that point in time the BBS operators would have had those same sentiments you just put forth, i would not have been able to learn anything interesting about computers until after i was 18, and i'd not be where i am today.

Besides, how old were you when you started out on the Internet (or BBS'es if you're old enough to have known those) _
Same.  Started at 11 with a 2400 modem and a grip of BBSes.  The under 18 issue is a load of fuzzy bunny.  Unfortunately, we've probably got another 10 years before today's gamers become tomorrow's parents and have the good sense to check in on their gaming kid once in a while.
errything is pink chex, errything is pink chex

#43 Dreizehn

Dreizehn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted November 28 2012 - 06:00 PM

I wouldn't use age as a hard standard for anything. I've met surprisingly polite and mature kids online and some terribly immature and horrible middle aged people. I think its better to get exposure to most stuff young, as to not grow up to be a repressed off in the head douchebag.

#44 Female

Female

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted November 28 2012 - 06:46 PM

I have been called a god...
Posted Image

#45 ReachH

ReachH

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted November 28 2012 - 07:49 PM

haha it happened today. Someone was whining how higher levels have more stat points or something (seriously would 3 points make that much of a difference_). I only played my nooby box assault cuz I didn't want to bone pub games too hard :/ Now it's level 16, and I have no more meteor points - what am I supposed to do_

And then this little gem :D
Posted Image
Posted Image

Glorious

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on October 23 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Development happens.

Posted Image

#46 HellRik

HellRik

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • LocationQuebec, Canada

Posted November 28 2012 - 07:54 PM

View PostReachH, on November 28 2012 - 07:49 PM, said:

Callouts!

You could at least hide his name :P

Posted Image

#47 ReachH

ReachH

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted November 28 2012 - 08:10 PM

People should be accountable, even over the internet :/

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on October 23 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Development happens.

Posted Image

#48 SirCannonFodder

SirCannonFodder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
  • LocationCairns, Australia

Posted November 28 2012 - 08:36 PM

I'm apparently good enough to make someone ragequit the game permanently, or at least that's what they were ranting when they were complaining about the matchmaker putting them up against a level 20 brawler.

Posted Image
Australian_ Like Hawken_ Then join the Drop Bears! Or actually maybe don't, since it's kind of dead.

#49 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 28 2012 - 08:55 PM

View PostFemale, on November 28 2012 - 06:46 PM, said:

I have been called a god...
That's silly
Everyone knows that you call a Female God a Goddess
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#50 PiVoR

PiVoR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted November 28 2012 - 08:56 PM

Poeople call me cheater all the time, you get used to it...

#51 Skylead

Skylead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSpace Colonies

Posted November 28 2012 - 09:30 PM

View PostImmie, on November 28 2012 - 02:06 PM, said:

From Beta 1. Haven't had a chance to play much Beta 3 yet, for shame, RL.

We have noticed your absence, and you should feel SHAME!

#52 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted November 28 2012 - 09:34 PM

View PostSkylead, on November 28 2012 - 09:30 PM, said:

View PostImmie, on November 28 2012 - 02:06 PM, said:

From Beta 1. Haven't had a chance to play much Beta 3 yet, for shame, RL.

We have noticed your absence, and you should feel SHAME!
Let us shun Immie!

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#53 Dread_Lord_Pitr

Dread_Lord_Pitr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationColumbia Internet

Posted November 28 2012 - 09:51 PM

View PostPiVoR, on November 28 2012 - 08:56 PM, said:

Poeople call me cheater all the time, you get used to it...

You are just OP, and need to be nerfed.
I suggest a clawhammer to the fingers :lol:
(just kidding man, you just play insanely well, can't fault you for it, and i've seen you switch over when teams were badly stacked, so kudo's).
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. -George Orwell's Animal Farm
BEGIN Pitr's GEEK CODE BLOCK
GCS d_ s: a- C++++ UL++++ P+++ L++++ E--- W+(++) N++ o+++ K+++ w--- !O M-- V-- PS+++ PE+++ Y(++) PGP+++ t* 5(-) X R- tv- b- DI-- D- G++ e++ h* r% y_
END Pitr's GEEK CODE BLOCK

#54 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 29 2012 - 01:31 AM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on November 28 2012 - 01:16 PM, said:

Anybody else still find the time when some people proposed turning down graphical options in .ini was the same a cheating hilarious_
Well, it can be in some ways. I remember in UT3 there was an INI tweak that let you turn texture LOD so low that it basically removed the textures:

Posted Image

Posted Image

At that point, yes I would call it a cheat.

But for the most part, short of doing things like that, or removing things that are only remobable with INIs (foliage in earlier games for example), I don't consider INI tweaking hacks.

It did amuse friends of mine back when I was playing UT2004 with the BeyondUnreal guys:

Posted Image

(Based on a true story!)

View PostSkylead, on November 28 2012 - 01:33 PM, said:

Sometimes I see merit in this argument. Example: In Tribes: Ascend you could strip trees down almost to wireframe levels which a lot of comp snipers did to avoid having LoS blocked by leaves and some branches. Personally I choose to train my eyes for the full shiny levels and don't care if people that turn them down get an advantage, but the sauce for qq is there. (except motion blur, fuzzy bunny that fuzzy bunny)
This is what I do as well. I view it, in a way, as taking more skill to play this way, with everything on, as long as it doesn't murder your framerate. (PhysX still does even with an INI wipe, or I'd turn that on too.)

And yes, I have motion blur on. I actually LIKE having motion blur on.

View PostReachH, on November 28 2012 - 07:49 PM, said:

haha it happened today. Someone was whining how higher levels have more stat points or something (seriously would 3 points make that much of a difference_). I only played my nooby box assault cuz I didn't want to bone pub games too hard :/ Now it's level 16, and I have no more meteor points - what am I supposed to do_

And then this little gem :D
Funny thing is he didn't even die as much as the other guys. But yeah, you guys kind of stomped them.

Edited by DarkPulse, November 29 2012 - 01:33 AM.

Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#55 Frenotx

Frenotx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 808 posts
  • LocationConway, AR

Posted November 29 2012 - 05:23 AM

I got accused of hax back in alpha, but not since. The dude that accused me just kept falling for the same tricks, over and over.
Your friendly otter-fox hybrid abomination about town.

To pronounce my name correctly, just pretend the 't' isn't there. You can also think of it as "Freno - [sodacan opening sound]"

#56 Spawny

Spawny

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 90 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted November 29 2012 - 08:15 AM

I wonder if I've played against any people who post here regularly.

I haven't played in the past 2 days and I'm usually online around 10 pm greenwich+1.

Haven't been called a hacker yet, but as many others, have been told I was too high level or using the very OP scout. (A mechs are for noobs)
Alpha 2 B-Class Bruiser
Closed Beta 1 C-Class Brawler
Closed Beta 2 A-Class Berzerker
Closed Beta 3 A-Class Scout

#57 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 29 2012 - 10:00 AM

I don't really see why removing textures in an arena game would be cheating, particularly when that level of graphical simplicity has been an accepted practice in competitive matches for a long time
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#58 Cyclonus

Cyclonus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 486 posts

Posted November 29 2012 - 11:05 AM

My team was accused of being composed of hackers, but it was probably a light-hearted joke.

#59 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted November 29 2012 - 11:16 AM

View PostBeemann, on November 29 2012 - 10:00 AM, said:

I don't really see why removing textures in an arena game would be cheating, particularly when that level of graphical simplicity has been an accepted practice in competitive matches for a long time
Because it's a stupid thing to do and is part of why I never took the competitive scene seriously at all_

Things like that make me wish that devs would lock out settings like that from player modification, or else enforce some minimum level of detail in the code.
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#60 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted November 29 2012 - 11:18 AM

View PostDarkPulse, on November 29 2012 - 11:16 AM, said:

Because it's a stupid thing to do and is part of why I never took the competitive scene seriously at all_

Things like that make me wish that devs would lock out settings like that from player modification, or else enforce some minimum level of detail in the code.
To paraphrase "Because I don't like it"
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users