HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

On rear-view mirrors

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you want a rear-view mirror_ (605 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want a rear-view mirror_

1. Yes (396 votes [67.35%])

Percentage of vote: 67.35%

2. No (139 votes [23.64%])

Percentage of vote: 23.64%

3. Eh_ (53 votes [9.01%])

Percentage of vote: 9.01%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted June 06 2011 - 01:03 PM

Simply that.
How about a rear-view mirror for your mech_. :D

P.S. Or if you wish, one rear video-camera system.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#2 StantonJL

StantonJL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted June 06 2011 - 08:43 PM

Definitely, the radar will show you if theres something behind you but it only has two axis and while in normal fps games thats not much of a problem, these things can fly.

#3 Barcode1

Barcode1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted June 07 2011 - 11:54 AM

I think it'd be a harder game without one and would probably be easier on one's computer if there were no such camera/mirror. Plus, it'll get disorienting/distracting to have the rear view visuals swinging around all the time, considering the speed of the game as it is - which also brings in the fact that you can easily check your own back quite quickly....

Oh. There's a lot of solid HUD on the screen as it is too, IMO. Sorry man, I don't like this idea. :P
In-game username-to-be: cupcakesRevenge

#4 legionwolff1

legionwolff1

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted June 07 2011 - 04:57 PM

I think it would add a lot of oh sh1t moments. Like you see a missle flying at you so you hit the jump jets. I vote Yes!
"Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war,"

#5 lavalamp1138

lavalamp1138

Squadron Leader

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted June 07 2011 - 05:06 PM

That's a pretty neat idea, Silencer. ;)  However, I believe the ability to do a 180 degree spin with the mech will remedy the need for any rear-view mirrors. Being able to perform this maneuver will not only ease that feeling of being watched, but it'll also prove quite useful in many different combat situations.

#6 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted June 08 2011 - 09:36 AM

Ups.. that's absolutely true! :D

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#7 LazyFailKid

LazyFailKid

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationDelta, BC

Posted June 10 2011 - 03:23 PM

Ill vote yes just because whem I'm running away I would want to see my enemy so it would be easier to avoid him ^_^

#8 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted June 10 2011 - 04:05 PM

These are not the drones that you're looking for :P

Posted Image

#9 bfcunion351

bfcunion351

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted June 12 2011 - 08:14 PM

Nice to know when your Radar is Jammed what is sneaking up on you.
Be good or be good at it, otherwise you'll be pushing a pram.

#10 JackDandy

JackDandy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationHaifa, Israel

Posted June 13 2011 - 07:24 AM

Hmmm.. although it would be useful, I think keeping the focus on the radar and 180-spin move would add more to the game's tension.

#11 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted June 13 2011 - 09:29 AM

The modeler is going to throw a bone to your heads... and the coder will do it too!. LOL :P

Posted Image

#12 Hypevosa

Hypevosa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationCornfields of North West Ohio

Posted May 16 2012 - 03:59 AM

My question is, who would ever design mechs like these without the ability to see behind them_  Battlefield awareness is something of utmost importance, and, to think that the ability for the pilot to see behind themselves would be overlooked is silly.

That said, I understand from a rendering standpoint why you'd want to avoid that.

If it's possible, I think we should do it, but I'll understand if engine limitations mean it's an impossibility.  It would be a little surprising if a small rear view mirror wouldn't be possible though.

#13 GREW

GREW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted May 16 2012 - 04:51 AM

While being a good idea on paper. I can't see it implicating well with the gameplay. Its not like anyone is going to be directly sneaking up behind you. The fast pace of the mechs would make it difficult to be tediously checking my mirrors for enemies while on the move.  Also its not like the backs of the mechs are transparent. How would a rear vision mirror work_ It would have to be side mirrors and that's just silly.

Posted Image

#14 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted May 16 2012 - 07:15 AM

First of all, glad to see how you're rescuing a suggestion based thread which, IMHO, still should be on the lab table.

How vision works in Hawken_: Looks to me that you have several cams externally installed which provide you with what you see into your mech cockpit. As you can see in the gameplay videos there're not visible windows or glass placed on the mechs. At least I've not seen any.

According to that hypothesis and related observations I can not see where would be the problem with one or more rear cams ( if you want.. extra ones).

A moderately big rear-view mirror ( or if you want an extra rear view activated via shortcut.. a là Cars or Airplanes SIM game ) would be a nice touch, IMO.

But.... if the implementation of this suggestion could be translated into some noticeable loss of performeance then simply.. to hell with this. :D  Anyway, as Lava has said above you always have the 180º move... some times you'll have to use the Force though... (j/k) :P

You got a point with the amount of quality and tactical sight a rear-mirrow can give you back in such a fast paced game as Hawken... but I remind you that radar only reports you on the X plane, not on the Y plane (height). Although at this stage, I may be wrong on this as well.

Posted Image

#15 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted May 16 2012 - 07:27 AM

The_Silencer said:

You got a point with the amount of quality and tactical sight a rear-mirrow can give you back in such a fast paced game as Hawken... but I remind you that radar only reports you on the X plane, not on the Y plane (height). Although at this stage, I may be wrong on this as well.
When I was at PAX somebody said that they had gone through multiple renditions of the radar, including height indicators(arrows or something).

Whatever works best is what they'll use. No telling what they've got planned thus far.

The_Silencer said:

You got a point with the amount of quality and tactical sight a rear-mirrow can give you back in such a fast paced game as Hawken.
I actually completely disagree with him on that point.

First and foremost sneaking behind people is a staple of shooters of all sorts. A rear view mirror would be ridiculously useful at pinning targets behind you. Whether they haven't gotten within range to shoot yet or just flat out aren't targeting you, that extra eye would be handy.

It's been said in several threads that the eye picks up movement rather well. Something flashing across the rear view mirror would likely be easily noticeable. Even if it's just that extra half second notice you get when somebody lands behind you, it could very well mean the difference between life and death.

#16 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted May 16 2012 - 07:30 AM

I concur ;)

P.S. I forgot to use italics at  that "You got a point..." .. but I still think that he has a point up there :)

Posted Image

#17 Keekenox

Keekenox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • LocationThe internetz

Posted May 21 2012 - 12:10 PM

A rear view mirror would be a great idea. I like to be aware of my surroundings. And also it could be a cockpit module that you customize, like the fuzzy dice! Actually we need them to hang the fuzzy dice!!! D:
"A conversation is a dialogue, not a monologue. That's why there are so few good conversations: due to scarcity, two intelligent talkers seldom meet."
Wandering gun #45

#18 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted May 23 2012 - 10:59 AM

IIRC, there's a good sample of it in the Avatar movie. Although Can not find a proper picture for you now.

Anyways, I think that the poll speaks by itself pretty well ATM. :)

Posted Image

#19 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted May 24 2012 - 06:28 AM

Keekenox2 said:

Actually we need them to hang the fuzzy dice!!! D:
Gorramit. There's no contest now. We need rear view mirrors.

#20 Naraklok

Naraklok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted May 24 2012 - 01:03 PM

Rear-view mirrors_ No thanks.

Perhaps a camera toggable on-HUD to view whats behind you...but not mirrors.
Naraklok

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users