HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

On rear-view mirrors

• Please log in to reply
116 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you want a rear-view mirror_ (605 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you want a rear-view mirror_

1. Yes (396 votes [67.35%])

Percentage of vote: 67.35%

2. No (139 votes [23.64%])

Percentage of vote: 23.64%

3. Eh_ (53 votes [9.01%])

Percentage of vote: 9.01%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Ezio

Ezio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • LocationFlorentine

Posted May 24 2012 - 02:54 PM

Maybe instead of having mirrors, have a hud inside the cockpit that has a rear camera near the bottom.
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." Voltaire

#22 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted May 25 2012 - 01:05 PM

Ezio said:

Maybe instead of having mirrors, have a hud inside the cockpit that has a rear camera near the bottom.

That would certainly be the way in which this should work and be rendered on the HUD. And if you can turn it on/off then the better. Obviously physical rear-mirrors do not fit much into this game. :D ;)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#23 Kittenmcdoodle

Kittenmcdoodle

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis Missouri

Posted May 26 2012 - 09:19 PM

Ezio wrote:

That would certainly be the way in which this should work and be rendered on the HUD. And if you can turn it on/off then the better. Obviously physical rear-mirrors do not fit much into this game.  

i agree with the added hud option,  but not a glass rear view mirror, unless it had those nice vanity fuzzy dice. :D

#24 Evex_Wolfwing

Evex_Wolfwing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted May 28 2012 - 06:29 PM

I like this idea. Perhaps as an optional upgrade, take something else's place. Of course you would have to be careful when sneaking up on people, as you can't be certain if they have this function. Encourages you to stay out of sight. You could also not use it, and hope that other players will be paranoid and think that you do.

Posted Image

Prepare to Pilot your Level!

#25 GUEST!!

GUEST!!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted May 29 2012 - 04:36 AM

In mechwarrior you had a key that would switch to a rear camera to see what's behind you. That's not a bad option. To add on to that, you were able to toggle it to where that camera view replaced your radar in a little corner.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#26 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted May 29 2012 - 08:07 AM

Yeah.. something like that.

Or just place a psp as if it were a classic rear-view mirror placed on the top of the hud...

http://t0.gstatic.co...-LYKeLuGYDJ-yZw

...and display what the rear cam is recording.

As it has been said already, this also would be a nice piece of gear in which to hang the customizable fuzzy dice. :)

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#27 GUEST!!

GUEST!!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted May 29 2012 - 08:10 AM

I'm still holding out for my Hula bobble girl.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#28 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted May 29 2012 - 11:50 AM

Me on my quasi-Cloacked toy Mech. ;)

Anyway, maybe a dev would want to say something on this subject in here.

P.S. I'm opening a new thread on Fuzzy Dices. So go it and post yours in there!

Posted Image

#29 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted May 31 2012 - 11:00 AM

Hikikomori!

Posted Image

#30 SmellyFingers

SmellyFingers

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted May 31 2012 - 04:33 PM

the problem with a rearview is it could massively change the gameplay. I'm not sure what the devs are aiming for in terms of pacing and situational awareness. imagine CoD with a rearview camera. in cod, you are shot 60% of the time by someone you aren't looking at. a mirror would give you that split second to turn and blindfire before they shoot, which would be unfair in a game where you die so quickly. in this game, you don't die as rapidly as cod. for that reason, i think radar is enough. you'll start getting hit from behind and be able to quickly turn and start firing. not to mention the processing power a mirror would take. HUD space is also an issue. i feel like this is a game where you will want every pixel of view possible.

however, if the devs are liking the idea of a mirror, one idea is something like the new NFS hot pursuit mirror. it is less of a mirror, but actually highlights racers as yellow and cops as blue, and is more of a digital view of the situation behind you. same idea could be done here, highlighting allies/enemies differently, and would also look more futuristic/mechy for blending with the HUD.

#31 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted June 07 2012 - 08:10 AM

That's important. If gameplay's quality gets lowered by rear-mirrors then to hell with them.
Simply as that.. :D

Although seems to be that there's glass in the light mech's cockpit. That might deserve a real phisycal rear-mirror for them.
That would subsequently be an option fair enough to me, ATM.

Posted Image

#32 MiNjA714

MiNjA714

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted August 13 2012 - 06:25 PM

Practically speaking, I thought that it's kinda silly that a big ass machine like this doesn't have a rear view mirror or camera. Cars and motorcycles have it to park and avoid hazards so why not a big ass robot that goes into combat_ Kinda takes you away the universe and makes you think...

#33 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted September 01 2012 - 09:56 AM

No idea on how game ticks this could consume at the end and if implemented... although maybe just some kind of proximity beep into your cockpit might work pretty well too.

And would be a pretty cheapo trick from a performance stand point. And as practical as useful so it would make you pay attention on radar.. :D

Posted Image

#34 syntax

syntax

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted September 03 2012 - 10:26 PM

Just FYI, a yellow indicator will tell you if there is a SPOTTED enemy behind you. But the 180 spin makes this a non-issue anyway.

#35 GREW

GREW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted September 04 2012 - 02:26 AM

To have a rear view mirror above your head, youd need the back of the mech to be transparent, ie. Glass or something and that just isnt something a war machine that takes heavy damage from rockets and chiz should have.

Posted Image

#36 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted September 04 2012 - 05:51 AM

GREW said:

To have a rear view mirror above your head, youd need the back of the mech to be transparent, ie. Glass or something and that just isnt something a war machine that takes heavy damage from rockets and chiz should have.
Or a camera.

#37 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted September 04 2012 - 08:37 AM

syntax said:

Just FYI, a yellow indicator will tell you if there is a SPOTTED enemy behind you. But the 180 spin makes this a non-issue anyway.

Source, please_ :)

Posted Image

#38 syntax

syntax

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted September 04 2012 - 09:09 AM

Source :D
http://i.imgur.com/M3QJK.jpg

#39 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted September 04 2012 - 10:44 AM

The HUD has gone through so many changes it's rediculous. Just about every trailer has had modifications, the PAX east party had some differences, and the screenies from the latest PAX are different.

I wouldn't be surprised if it changed a few times more before the alpha codes get sent.

EDIT- I also wouldn't be surprised if they made the HUD one of those things you can customize.

#40 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted September 05 2012 - 12:14 PM

Arseface said:

EDIT- I also wouldn't be surprised if they made the HUD one of those things you can customize.

That would be cool. For example one of the things which I'd do is to move the radar to the middle of the HUD; on top. Sometimes I think that would be cool to have it on the bottom of the HUD as well; but that would require to somehow integrate it with all the displays and other stuff of the 3D cockpit.. one other option would be supporting dual monitors.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users