HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

On "Medic" abilities to regenerate team-mates/stuff

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

Poll: Do you think medic features could be a good addition in Hawken_ (324 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think medic features could be a good addition in Hawken_

1. Yes (197 votes [62.94%])

Percentage of vote: 62.94%

2. No (77 votes [24.60%])

Percentage of vote: 24.60%

3. Meh (39 votes [12.46%])

Percentage of vote: 12.46%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted January 02 2013 - 01:43 PM

View PostColdbound, on January 02 2013 - 01:31 PM, said:

Maybe a mech that shoots repair orbs into the midst of the battle_ :D
But my take on this is no.

You have answered to that yourself very well. :D

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#42 Sumpskildpadde89

Sumpskildpadde89

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted January 13 2013 - 01:13 AM

I think it should be like this:

When you see one of your friends healing up, you could go to him. It would then prompt the interact button (default is 'e') to say 'assist'. When you hold 'e' your own repair drone would then start help repairing your team mate. It shouldn't double the repair rate though. But maybe 25% faster or something like that. This feature would be available to all mechs. I think a specific healer class mech is not a good idea. But giving your friends a slight boost in their repairing would be an awesome feeling. It would give a bigger sense of team spirit. Plus if my friend heals up and I'm at full HP, then I have the choise of covering his back or help him get up quicker if we feel there's no danger in the vicinity.

#43 Tomino_sama

Tomino_sama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted January 13 2013 - 04:01 AM

noobies love spamming the healer class.

You will end up with an experienced Player doing all the work and a Macarena of Sub lvl 10 Recruits healing him. Check out other games where often the Healer Class gets a Turret too!

Hawken already has Repair Charges, Repair Skills, Repair Drones AND enemies drop EU too. A healer class will be easily abused.

EDIT: Here's an Idea. If there was a Healer Class, trade the TOW for a Repair Torch.

That way he can't get involved in engagements really, so has to support (as the role demands)

(I had thought originally to give him two SMG's - another forum thread on Dual Wielding gave me that Idea. It's not a great idea lol.)

Edited by Tomino_sama, January 13 2013 - 04:09 AM.

Posted Image

www.amegakure.co.uk

[HWK]SUPPPORT_ARE_TROOPS! said:

Remember any time spent redoing things is time not spent adding new things.

#44 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted January 20 2013 - 04:48 PM

A macarena... lol :P

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#45 Command0Dude

Command0Dude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted January 21 2013 - 12:26 PM

Absolutely NOT.

I've played team fortress. I do NOT want this game to turn into that. We have a self-repair option. That's way more than enough. I do NOT want it to become even more difficult to take objectives like AA in Siege, since a medic will park there and heal his teammates, making it virtually impossible to win. Put in a "medic" type and it will basically become a required class for a team to win, with almost everybody trying not to be it, because it is without excuse a purely support role that will see limited action.

In short, medic class would destroy this game.

#46 nullface

nullface

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted January 21 2013 - 01:22 PM

View PostMartok, on September 09 2011 - 08:56 PM, said:

Oh, absolutely not. That would completely ruin the game, and any hope of it being even close to a 'mech simulator'. This need to be more like Mechwarrior than it does Team Fotress 2...

Exactly, the firstthing I thought of was TF2 when i read the suggestion. No and no!

Posted Image
3570K @ 4.5GHz - P8Z77-I DLX/WD - 8GB HyperX LoVo 1866MHz - HD7950 - 840 PRO 256GB
Fred | Vulcan-Berserker | Slug-Reaper
SweetFX

#47 erathic

erathic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 769 posts
  • LocationSentium Design HQ

Posted January 21 2013 - 01:55 PM

Supported.

Didn't played TF2 but repair torches work good in BF3, and actually i find that more realistic/mech-feels than standing above or feeding my team-mates with a magic glowing orb ( I was so WTF when i discovered that).

As everything in any game, balancing/testing is required, not make it not " break eeeverything we loved sooo much in Hawken " but add some depht and more interactions between players in team-based games.

Edited by erathic, January 21 2013 - 01:57 PM.

Posted Image

#48 SickDownlink

SickDownlink

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted January 26 2013 - 09:40 AM

I believe that the repair torch is a much needed weapon in Hawken. Currently there is not much love for the support player in Hawken, (Bruiser to name one). Not every player wants to carry the team, support roles allow players that don't have the best killing skills to still be a big part of the team. I believe this would spice up the Hawken gameplay a bit and increase the overall appeal of the game.
10000100010010010011101000101000 : SickDownlink
Posted Image

#49 Gree

Gree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted January 26 2013 - 10:21 AM

I don't know. It would be really cool but I don't think it's a good idea, so no thanks. New classes are good but I wouldn't like to see a healer mech, too unrealistic.

#50 Juodvarnis

Juodvarnis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • LocationGrand Duchy of Lithuania

Posted January 26 2013 - 10:28 AM

View PostGree, on January 26 2013 - 10:21 AM, said:

I don't know. It would be really cool but I don't think it's a good idea, so no thanks. New classes are good but I wouldn't like to see a healer mech, too unrealistic.
Unrealistic_ We have giant bipedal mechs flying and hovering using tiny jet thrusters with renewable fuel, infinite ammunition and they get healed by clouds of glowing fireflies! NEVER PUT REALISM IN MY GAMES DAMNIT!!!
Posted Image
*sigh*

#51 Gree

Gree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted January 29 2013 - 04:01 AM

View PostJuodvarnis, on January 26 2013 - 10:28 AM, said:

Unrealistic_ We have giant bipedal mechs flying and hovering using tiny jet thrusters with renewable fuel, infinite ammunition and they get healed by clouds of glowing fireflies! NEVER PUT REALISM IN MY GAMES DAMNIT!!!
All of that has a scientific explaination.

#52 Juodvarnis

Juodvarnis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted January 29 2013 - 04:53 AM

View PostGree, on January 29 2013 - 04:01 AM, said:

View PostJuodvarnis, on January 26 2013 - 10:28 AM, said:

All of that has a scientific explaination.
Scientific explanation based on Troll-science i bet.
Posted Image
*sigh*

#53 dEd101

dEd101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted January 29 2013 - 10:02 AM

I voted no but if it happens then my 2 cents: the repair gun must generate a lot of heat and replace one of the existing guns essentially forcing the player into the support role.
General tips and tricks: https://community.pl...-tricks-thread/
Wolfyftw videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wolfyFTW (click on the 'Mindgamer' episodes)
Promo Codes (free money): https://community.pl...90-promo-codes/
Stats (all credit to AsianJoyKiller and the other contributors): https://docs.google....lrQjM5Tmc#gid=0 (don't forget to scroll right)

#54 Juodvarnis

Juodvarnis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted January 29 2013 - 10:12 AM

View PostdEd101, on January 29 2013 - 10:02 AM, said:

I voted no but if it happens then my 2 cents: the repair gun must generate a lot of heat and replace one of the existing guns essentially forcing the player into the support role.
Actually the repair torch (which was shown some time ago) replaces the secondary weapon (goes in the slot, hellfires or TOW missiles go)
Posted Image
*sigh*

#55 dEd101

dEd101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted January 29 2013 - 10:32 AM

View PostJuodvarnis, on January 29 2013 - 10:12 AM, said:

View PostdEd101, on January 29 2013 - 10:02 AM, said:

Actually the repair torch (which was shown some time ago) replaces the secondary weapon (goes in the slot, hellfires or TOW missiles go)

Really_ News to me. Provided it can't just be spammed like crazy then I've got no problem with a gimped mech at t back for me to pick off
General tips and tricks: https://community.pl...-tricks-thread/
Wolfyftw videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wolfyFTW (click on the 'Mindgamer' episodes)
Promo Codes (free money): https://community.pl...90-promo-codes/
Stats (all credit to AsianJoyKiller and the other contributors): https://docs.google....lrQjM5Tmc#gid=0 (don't forget to scroll right)

#56 Pirits

Pirits

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • LocationMobile, Alabama (USA)

Posted February 03 2013 - 01:20 PM

I don't want to vote, but...

Blah has entered the game.
Blahsbestbro enter the game.

Blah 13 Brawler (equipped with whatever)
Blahsbestbro 13 (insert light weight mech here) equipped with this magical steel mending device.

This brawlers ability lets it heal by default, now if we replaced either primary or secondary weapon on Blahsbestbro with the healing thing he can slightly help his best friend out, whilst constantly healing Blah, who is constantly healing and shooting already. I just made this great tank into a god tank (as it were). And if Blah's equipped with either of the close range weapons you're not going to get to mess up his best friend to much, even if the brawler isn't in tank mode. In certain situations this weapon breaks the point of the game 'try to kill/stop the other nubcakes' but in other's it's like having a snow-ball fight on the surface of a star. If your target to heal sucks at moving and shooting you just make him last a bit longer.

It could work, but the healing XP would need a scale per HP restored. 1 hp = 1 xp I'd get rid of both my primary/secondary weapons if I knew I'd be on a team with (even) a (half worth something) tank. Levels like candy please_

It would need lots of scaling, like not quite as good as default repair until leveled up and perhaps 0.1 xp per hp_

(Don't start up the flak cannons my way it's just my idea on this, and I'm not the brightest star out there.)
"What am I doing on top of this Sentium owned spire at a place we call Origin_ Hard-core parkour_ NO, I'm being a derpy chimera. OH! I can see my house from here."
​On a separate note - "Cover me, I'm commentating."
Spoiler

#57 Skidoosh

Skidoosh

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationDallas, Texas

Posted February 06 2013 - 08:46 PM

Looks scouts are a pain in the ass as it is. I dont need some mech bouncing around with him letting him face tank every other mech with his absurd damage dealing potential because he is being healed like jesus found a blind man.

Go home skidoosh your drunk

#58 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted February 07 2013 - 12:59 PM

Something says me that Healing Torchs will land on the B class royalm..

Posted Image

#59 Phamwich

Phamwich

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted February 07 2013 - 03:14 PM

I think teammate-repairing capabilities (beyond the Repair Charge) could be a nice addition, but I don't think it should be a medic-specific class, and the repairing capabilities shouldn't be too effective. I also played a bit of Firefall, a F2P MMORPG that's currently in beta, and they replaced their dedicated healer class with a class that is combat-oriented first, with secondary healing abilites. Here was their reasoning for making the change:
  • Having a dedicated healer usually means that if you wanted to have a good team loadout, you ALWAYS had to have a healer. Biggest example is in TF2, which basically necessitated having a medic (or three) if you wanted to be an effective team. And generally speaking, the more medics your team had, the more likely you were to win. This meant that someone usually had to "take one for the team" and switch to medic. This also meant that team loadout combinations weren't as varied, because the team always relied on a medic or three.
  • Dedicated healing class gameplay isn't usually very rewarding. In most games, you hang near the back, wait for teammates to come back for heals, and you hope that no one catches you out by yourself. Dedicated healers usually don't directly participate in the action and combat, and they're usually the first to be targeted in a skirmish and they're usually pretty squishy.
I usually play medics and healers in other games, but I will agree that a dedicated-repairing mech will be pretty out of place in Hawken. I wouldn't want the game to become a bunch of repairing A-classes hiding behind C-classes running around the map. But I would like to see some options for those who also want to aid their teammates. Some ideas I whipped up:
  • Plasma Welder: A secondary that is only effective at point-blank ranges, but can be used offensively against other mechs, or used to repair friendlies. But in order to repair friendlies, their mechs need to already be immobilized during repair drone procedures, since this would speed up repairs but still leave you vulnerable. High heat generation would also prevent pilots from just running around and spamming it against teammates and enemies.
  • Roaming Repair Drone: Replaces your normal Repair Drone with a variant that will prioritizes nearby teammates. Teammate will need to already be repairing their own mechs, and need to be within a small radius to your own mech. Your mech would also enter the repairing procedure and will be immobilized.

#60 Taw_Archangel

Taw_Archangel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted March 12 2013 - 10:20 PM

No, reason being, if you can heal from to far away you are much to useful, if you can heal from point blank, you're taking a lot of damage from explosives as well as your buddy. I think giving your team mate a repair charge is useful enough.
I am known as a few names. Sicarius_X, PilotError, and Archangel. Also, C-class master race ;)
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users