HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

[Guide] How to remove bloom, fog and image grain

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted December 19 2012 - 07:34 AM

View Postdeusex2, on December 19 2012 - 07:16 AM, said:

I've tried OP's method, unfortunately, tinkering with ini file caused Hawken to crash right after loading main menu. :(

Too bad, I hate motion blur and grain effects.  :(
Delete the files you edited (and only the files you edited) and reopen the launcher. If the files you edited were in (My) DocumentsMy GamesHawkenetc. then all you need to do is relaunch Hawken. If the files you edited were in the HawkenHawkenInstalledFilesetc. folder, click the Gear icon in the launcher to have it try and replace them properly.

Please note that tweaking INI files is not supported by the devs. You can disable motion blur easily. The film grain is a different matter, slightly. Follow these steps.
1) ONLY edit the files in (My) DocumentsMy GamesHawkenHawkenGameConfig
2) ONLY edit HawkenSystemSettings.ini, and only when Hawken and the launcher are not running.
3) Make the following lines look like this:

Motionblur=False
MotionblurPause=False
MotionblurSkinning=1
4)Add this to the bottom of the [SystemSettings] section, above the whitespace for [SystemSettingsBucket1]:

bAllowImageGrain=False
5) Save the file and launch Hawken.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#22 bac9

bac9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted December 19 2012 - 08:25 AM

I'd say removing fog is a bit too much as it will give significant advantage to SS in long-range engagements on Bazaar.

Edited by bac9, December 19 2012 - 08:26 AM.

#23 deusex2

deusex2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted December 19 2012 - 08:33 AM

Replacing modified file with backup was the first thing I did ^_^.

Thanks for more detailed guide, the op didn't had most of the settings that you provided in his guide.
   CRITICAL ASSIST

View PostDaPheel, on December 03 2013 - 11:55 PM, said:

Oh, man.... Deus rants make everything better...
   B-listers, screenshots for the Grand kids......

#24 BizzyBum

BizzyBum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted December 19 2012 - 09:53 AM

Can someone post before and after pics_

Join the Brotherhood.

Posted Image

http://BSB-Hawken.us

#25 Mothanos

Mothanos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted December 19 2012 - 12:24 PM

View PostMurderdoll, on December 19 2012 - 06:33 AM, said:

You can run Planetside 2 with a 4850 with that fps_

Wow wtf i run a 6870 and im happy if i can stay near 20fps O.o   whats that about!

Yup its the Asus HD Radeon 4850 1 GB version o.c. to 680 ghz and a i5 2500k .o.c to 5000ghz with 8 gb corsair vengeance memory.
It served me 5 fantastic years and i hope it can hold out untill the 8000 series are out from Ati :)

Asus is a beast brand, i would never buy any other brand :)

#26 deusex2

deusex2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted December 20 2012 - 01:27 AM

Dude, come over the dark side, we have PhysX ;)
   CRITICAL ASSIST

View PostDaPheel, on December 03 2013 - 11:55 PM, said:

Oh, man.... Deus rants make everything better...
   B-listers, screenshots for the Grand kids......

#27 Rei

Rei

Hammertime!

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts
  • LocationMore like... HammeredTime

Posted December 20 2012 - 01:35 AM

View PostMothanos, on December 19 2012 - 12:24 PM, said:

View PostMurderdoll, on December 19 2012 - 06:33 AM, said:

You can run Planetside 2 with a 4850 with that fps_

Wow wtf i run a 6870 and im happy if i can stay near 20fps O.o   whats that about!

Yup its the Asus HD Radeon 4850 1 GB version o.c. to 680 ghz and a i5 2500k .o.c to 5000ghz with 8 gb corsair vengeance memory.
It served me 5 fantastic years and i hope it can hold out untill the 8000 series are out from Ati :)

Asus is a beast brand, i would never buy any other brand :)

5000 Ghz_ Sure your computer hasn't melted yet_ I think you mean to either say Mhz or 5.0 GHz which is very good. Same for your graphics card, but 680 mhz.

I think i'll be using the low graphics high textures idea. I'm currently running both at low mostly because I hate bloom effects and motion blur.

Edited by Rei, December 20 2012 - 01:36 AM.

!HAMMERTIME
~「TWITTER」~「STREAM」~「STREAMING GUIDE」~ Sharpshooter is fair and balanced
Posted Image

#28 Murderdoll

Murderdoll

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted December 20 2012 - 02:18 AM

Yes the Low graphics  with High textures  works great for me.

I started playing with both at medium text/ medium Graphics
Now i use High text/ low graphics.

Its the best way to easly remove the fod/blur/foggy stuff.
Untill we get more options i think this is the way to go :)    It improved my FPS

#29 V3XED

V3XED

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted December 20 2012 - 11:26 PM

I gotta say, allot of these recent F2P game seem to just hate mobile hardware. I have a respectable setup Corei7 620m @ 3.2ghz, 8gb Ram, 5850m 1gb. And i run this and planetside in the upper teens.

Hawken was fine in the alpha and closed beta. Now even with everything on low I get under 25fps. :(

I did a config edit that initially worked but it seems to have since reverted to the defaults_

Posted Image

#30 SystemiK

SystemiK

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted December 21 2012 - 12:23 AM

@ Elix

In the .ini file the motionblur value shows up on all the bucket settings as well.  I was unclear if they all need to be changed or just the one above the bucket / flash values.  Most of my values were already set to false but Bucket 4 was set to true.  Sorry if that isnt as clear as it could be.
There is no time like time wasted...

#31 ExtremeUnction

ExtremeUnction

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  • LocationFilling caskets in NW US

Posted February 16 2013 - 01:45 AM

I messed around with all this fuzzy bunny for like 45 minutes and I couldn't get it to work. I watched a video and followed the instructions very closely and every time I opened the game it would immediately crash. Changing the options is so simple that I don't know how it could've been messed up. It seems like we can't do it anymore.

My system runs it generally well until I really need it to. It's not something that's keeping me from playing but it would be really nice to be able to just run it entirely smooth even if that means terrible graphics. I'm flat broke so there's no way I'm upgrading my system any time soon. Otherwise, I'd love to run this game with all the graphics turned up. It's really immersive.

I'd probably play Planetside 2 as well but I can't even run that game with every single little thing turned down to it's bare minimum.

#32 img_designs

img_designs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted February 16 2013 - 02:45 AM

so whats the verdict_ is there a way to remove the grain effect_ I'm using ultra. i understand the asthetic and makes sence for mech warfare but since i'm not actually piloting a mech (unfortunately) i'd rather have a clear view of my eviroment.
also i feel the same way about the high pitch background niose. if that can be shut off too that would be great.

Posted Image

#33 bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Defender of Pork Products

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationUsually hanging out in #spawn

Posted February 16 2013 - 03:48 AM

View Postimg_designs, on February 16 2013 - 02:45 AM, said:

so whats the verdict_ is there a way to remove the grain effect_ I'm using ultra. i understand the asthetic and makes sence for mech warfare but since i'm not actually piloting a mech (unfortunately) i'd rather have a clear view of my eviroment.
The film grain_  Yes, that can be turned off via editing the ini's (at this time, it's the only option until the advanced settings are brought back in).

Back up HawkenEngine.ini, look for ImageGrainNoiseTextureName and remove everything after the equal sign.

Save and profit.  Where the file is, I leave as an exercise for the reader (turning off the film grain and tweaking the ini's has been brought up many times in the forum, and it's almost 4AM for me, so I'm not feeling up to repeating the info here, you know_)  :)

(I don't mean to necro threads, I'm just almost always running behind.  My apologies)

Posted ImageFollower of Wheaton's Law, #spawn camper, test dummy for science, and being one of "those guys" <3

Youtube: thebaconavenger - Twitch/Twitter: bacon_avenger

System specs: i5 2500k // Asus P8Z68-V // eVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked // 16 GB 1600 DDR3
New to siege_  Give Bacon's Guide to Siege Mode a watch

#34 img_designs

img_designs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted February 16 2013 - 11:28 AM

View Postbacon_avenger, on February 16 2013 - 03:48 AM, said:

View Postimg_designs, on February 16 2013 - 02:45 AM, said:

The film grain_  Yes, that can be turned off via editing the ini's (at this time, it's the only option until the advanced settings are brought back in).

Back up HawkenEngine.ini, look for ImageGrainNoiseTextureName and remove everything after the equal sign.

Save and profit.  Where the file is, I leave as an exercise for the reader (turning off the film grain and tweaking the ini's has been brought up many times in the forum, and it's almost 4AM for me, so I'm not feeling up to repeating the info here, you know_)  :)

well reading the above statements raised more concern then instilled confidence. however i did adjust the ini and my game seems to be still running smooth actually smoother because now it doesn't have grain :D

#35 Lophir

Lophir

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Locationnyc

Posted February 16 2013 - 12:09 PM

Film grain is the devil.
While I may have no trouble backing up / editing .ini files, I'm sure there are people who do.
It would be nice to have more advanced graphics settings in game.

#36 bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Defender of Pork Products

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationUsually hanging out in #spawn

Posted February 16 2013 - 09:41 PM

View PostLophir, on February 16 2013 - 12:09 PM, said:

Film grain is the devil.
While I may have no trouble backing up / editing .ini files, I'm sure there are people who do.
It would be nice to have more advanced graphics settings in game.
Agreed.  And they are supposed to be on their way back in.  We were told the options were not done in time when the game went from closed to open beta (and the UI did change quite a bit).

I would imagine that it's a low priority as we do have the ability to change the settings via ini editing, never mind that it's not something the devs support.

(I don't mean to necro threads, I'm just almost always running behind.  My apologies)

Posted ImageFollower of Wheaton's Law, #spawn camper, test dummy for science, and being one of "those guys" <3

Youtube: thebaconavenger - Twitch/Twitter: bacon_avenger

System specs: i5 2500k // Asus P8Z68-V // eVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked // 16 GB 1600 DDR3
New to siege_  Give Bacon's Guide to Siege Mode a watch

#37 Pirits

Pirits

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • LocationMobile, Alabama (USA)

Posted February 16 2013 - 09:42 PM

I wish my computer could use these options detail is set to low cause medium likes to eat my low FPS.
"What am I doing on top of this Sentium owned spire at a place we call Origin_ Hard-core parkour_ NO, I'm being a derpy chimera. OH! I can see my house from here."
​On a separate note - "Cover me, I'm commentating."
Spoiler

#38 Spanese

Spanese

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted March 21 2013 - 04:09 AM

Why do I keep getting Access is Denied when I try and save_

#39 TheEliteSlayer

TheEliteSlayer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted March 21 2013 - 06:14 AM

Files set to read-only_ or the game is still using the files.

#40 Im_Dave_Angel

Im_Dave_Angel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted August 07 2013 - 05:45 AM

If the file is in program files, then you will need to run notepad elevated to administrator privileges to be able to save the files.  Windows 7 locks the Program Files and Windows folders up tighter than a ducks you know what.  And that's water tight.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users