HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

config/ini tweaking

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 Keiichi81

Keiichi81

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted January 23 2013 - 12:26 PM

View PostShadowGTR, on January 23 2013 - 10:53 AM, said:

View PostKeiichi81, on January 22 2013 - 09:26 PM, said:

I'm not sure if it was mentioned in the video because I'm not going to sit and watch something for ~10 minutes that should've been a text document, but for anyone who like me is annoyed at Unreal Engine 3's texture fade-in, you can disable it by finding the following lines in your HawkenEngine.ini file:

MipFadeInSpeed0=0.3
MipFadeOutSpeed0=0.1
MipFadeInSpeed1=2.0
MipFadeOutSpeed1=1.0

Change them to this instead:

MipFadeInSpeed0=0
MipFadeOutSpeed0=0
MipFadeInSpeed1=0
MipFadeOutSpeed1=0

Hawken now loads the hi-res textures for me instantly rather than fading them in over 2 seconds. I'm not sure how drastically this will affect low-end computers, but I don't notice any perceivable drop in performance with my GTX 560Ti.

So the reason it does that slow textures fade in is due to a setting in Unreal Engine 3_! Unless there is a stylized reason behind it, or it somehow makes the game more stable (especially on lower end pcs), why would anyone want this_ Well, that does it. Guess there isn't any harm in trying this (after backup of course). I know what I'm doing after work! :)

From what I understand, it's supposed to make games using Unreal Engine 3 play more smoothly on lower-end graphics cards without a lot of VRAM. Frankly, for whatever negligible improvement in framerate in may or may not provide, it's not worth the visual ugliness of textures slowly fading in from muddy blobs. And if you've got a card with 1GB or more of VRAM, there is no reason whatsoever to subject yourself to it.

Borderlands 2 had the same issue with the exact same ini tweak to fix it, before they patched in a toggle to disable texture fade directly from the options menu.

#62 ShadowGTR

ShadowGTR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted January 23 2013 - 12:42 PM

View PostKeiichi81, on January 23 2013 - 12:26 PM, said:

From what I understand, it's supposed to make games using Unreal Engine 3 play more smoothly on lower-end graphics cards without a lot of VRAM. Frankly, for whatever negligible improvement in framerate in may or may not provide, it's not worth the visual ugliness of textures slowly fading in from muddy blobs. And if you've got a card with 1GB or more of VRAM, there is no reason whatsoever to subject yourself to it.

Borderlands 2 had the same issue with the exact same ini tweak to fix it, before they patched in a toggle to disable texture fade directly from the options menu.

I noticed that in Borderlands 2 as well. Annoyed me a lot. I didn't see the .ini adjustment for it when I looked up what was causing it. Course, I beat the main mission line in it a few months ago and haven't really played it since. At least now I know.

Posted Image

#63 Rekkr

Rekkr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted January 30 2013 - 09:17 PM

View PostBuDeKai, on December 15 2012 - 01:54 PM, said:

modify these files at ur own risk; if your game breaks or you encounter any issues simply delete the inis u modified and the game will generate new default ones at startup

so my buddies over at kbmod.com have put together a nice video of some of the more basic ini tweaks you can do to get a little more performance out of the game and maybe clear up some of the action. i currently played with a lightly modified ini but it keeps me happy. if you have any question about the ini please feel free to ask em here as i used to make configs in tribes ascend as well. (same engine)

we will also discuss these modifications and whether they should be allowed or locked in the next episode of THE COCKPIT! so tune in weds at 10:00pm est.

http://www.kbmod.com...onfig-settings/

I followed the video to the letter, and it fracked up my game, so now I'm reinstalling.

#64 space_

space_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts
  • LocationIt came from space

Posted March 06 2013 - 05:06 AM

View Postcharliebrownau, on December 15 2012 - 10:20 PM, said:

I have to disagree , changing the ini graphic settings because the devs dont give the option in the menu is NOT CHEATING
Its been done in PC gaming for many years.
I often turn off bloom, motion blur , HDR , glare , reduce AA to 2x. Choose the res and FOV I want.

What would be cheating is turning off textures or effects so you could see thou walls or graphics , which changing the ini file doesnt do (eg wall hacking)

I'm sorry but I dont know why people think wall hacking is seeing through walls.  Wall hacking marks players so you know where they are at all times it does not makes walls physically invisible,

The Question I actually had tho is it possible to change crosshairs_
"Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the Gun."

"THREE!"

#65 Taniwha87

Taniwha87

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted March 09 2014 - 02:29 PM

just started playing this weekend. I've also made an effort to make some .ini files.
Thought I could post them here for the community and easy access for myself.

HawkenSystemSettings.ini  located under C:DocumentsMy GamesHawkenHawkenGameConfig
HawkenEngine.ini  located under C:DocumentsMy GamesHawkenHawkenGameConfig
DefaultSystemSettings.ini  located under ~SteamsteamappscommonHawkenHawkenGameConfig

Tweaked YFOV and disabled ImageGrain and other stuff, done some more tweaks and set UseVsync to true.
If you want to set UseVsync to false, it sits in HawkenSystemSettings. If you do you might also want to set bSmoothFrameRate to true in HawkenEngine.

What it looks like:
Posted Image

What it runs on:
Amd Phenom II X4 965 - CPU
AMD HD 6870 - GPU

Edited by Taniwha87, March 09 2014 - 02:43 PM.

#66 LordTemujin

LordTemujin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted March 09 2014 - 02:37 PM

So Necro much Wow
Posted Image

#67 Taniwha87

Taniwha87