HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

config/ini tweaking

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 BuDeKai

BuDeKai

Some Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted December 15 2012 - 01:54 PM

modify these files at ur own risk; if your game breaks or you encounter any issues simply delete the inis u modified and the game will generate new default ones at startup

so my buddies over at kbmod.com have put together a nice video of some of the more basic ini tweaks you can do to get a little more performance out of the game and maybe clear up some of the action. i currently played with a lightly modified ini but it keeps me happy. if you have any question about the ini please feel free to ask em here as i used to make configs in tribes ascend as well. (same engine)

we will also discuss these modifications and whether they should be allowed or locked in the next episode of THE COCKPIT! so tune in weds at 10:00pm est.

http://www.kbmod.com...onfig-settings/

Edited by BuDeKai, December 17 2012 - 06:11 AM.

Posted Image

ive started streaming. the quality is fuzzy bunny but id appreciate any support
http://www.twitch.tv/budekai
also be sure to tune into The COCKPIT Hawken show! ---> http://community.pla...astshow-121212/

#2 FenixStryk

FenixStryk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • LocationUS-East

Posted December 15 2012 - 02:04 PM

View PostBuDeKai, on December 15 2012 - 01:54 PM, said:

we will also discuss these modifications and whether they should be allowed or locked in the next episode of THE COCKPIT! so tune in weds at 10:00pm est.
I'm okay with .ini modifications so long as it doesn't provide unintended gameplay advantages (hypothetical example: tweaking your graphics to cause the Infiltrator to be highly visible while cloaked). Most edits are usually harmless, though... things like cutting texture quality, turning off filters, etc.

Thanks for the video, although I prefer text for this kind of thing.

Edited by FenixStryk, December 15 2012 - 02:04 PM.

It was fun while it lasted.

#3 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted December 15 2012 - 02:05 PM

Caveat for anyone who does this: Keep in mind INI tweaks are not officially supported.
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

#4 BuDeKai

BuDeKai

Some Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted December 15 2012 - 02:07 PM

agreed fenix. i remember in the early days of cod2 there was a lighting setting that made everyone show up white. kinda broken lol

i will also make my ini's available once i finish working on them.

Posted Image

also be sure to tune into The COCKPIT Hawken show! ---> http://community.pla...astshow-121212/

#5 BuDeKai

BuDeKai

Some Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted December 15 2012 - 02:12 PM

and ur right darkpulse but for the people who have really old computers sometimes these kind of modifications can make the game playable. and anything that lets someone play hawken is ok in my book

Posted Image

#6 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted December 15 2012 - 02:13 PM

I know, I don't disagree with that. Just saying if your game bugs out or anything from tweaks, don't expect support. :P

#7 Chezz

Chezz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted December 15 2012 - 02:43 PM

Oh nice this is why nobody stopped into my thread :) cheers bude!

Posted Image

Streaming in 60FPS 720P all day! Stop by for some frags.

www.twitch.tv/chezz   www.kbmod.com

@cheddarchezz

#8 Hunt3rKill3r

Hunt3rKill3r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationIndiana Institution for the Damned.

Posted December 15 2012 - 03:00 PM

This is cheating as far as I'm concerned and in game yesterday, players are using cheat mods as well. They were even telling each other in chat how to disable/enable them.

Rag me if you want but, if you have to alter the files in order to win a game or, use cheats, it's not worth having you on my team or, even playing the game if the publishers allow it to happen.

Note: visual effects are good to have but as for anything to better take advantage over other players is still cheating.

My video is awesome in this game.

Edited by Hunt3rKill3r, December 15 2012 - 03:03 PM.

#9 BuDeKai

BuDeKai

Some Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted December 15 2012 - 07:03 PM

didnt u request ur account be deleted_

your definition of cheating is incorrect. by your logic it would be cheating for lebron to watch gameplay of the lakers because it gives him an advantage. or to wear nicer shoes. or even to have a better computer, because it gives me an advantage.

we arent altering in order to win. and if u watch the video thats an extreme way to read it.
configs are a beautiful way to let ur game flourish because it allows people to further customize their experience. and you will have to explain to me how the setup chezz is using aids him any kind of advantage. and by your logic using low graphics setting provided through the game is also cheating because they alter the same files and values we are altering.

quake/ cod1&2/battlefield 2/ wolfenstein etc etc. all encouraged this kind of tweaking and every pro quake player ever had their own personal config. some ran with 90 fov, others prefered 120 but everyone agreed they made the game better and more personal.

Posted Image

#10 h0B0

h0B0

Non Sequitur Leprechaun

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,143 posts
  • Location[delete for trolling] --defter

Posted December 15 2012 - 08:31 PM

I seem to have gotten used to the 90 FoV.

And can't see the different in FoV between the 2 examples in the vid.

Would anyone mind pointing out the difference and how this is helpfull.

I am aware some people might consider this an unfair advantage or a cheat. Does it make that much of a difference_

Edit: nvm i went into a game and was able to play with the slider and notice the difference.

Edited by h0B0, December 15 2012 - 08:34 PM.

Click me! I dare you.

Posted Image

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on March 15 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Oh don't always listen to h0B0. Lol.

#11 Fritzzz

Fritzzz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted December 15 2012 - 09:46 PM

Shouts out to KBMOD
turn up

#12 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted December 15 2012 - 10:01 PM

View PostHunt3rKill3r, on December 15 2012 - 03:00 PM, said:

This is cheating as far as I'm concerned and in game yesterday, players are using cheat mods as well. They were even telling each other in chat how to disable/enable them.
And I trust that you reported these exploits to the devs via a Support ticket, or at least reported the names of the cheaters_

If not, you have no ground to stand on. Thank you.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#13 Stingz

Stingz

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSolaris VII

Posted December 15 2012 - 10:19 PM

Thanks for this, turning off film grain, motion blur, and DoF makes the game feel more sharp. The last thing I want from my games is a blurry, film grained screen.
Running directly to/from sniper fire means you'll die tired. Taking cover gives (Ke-)Sabot time to reload.
Someone elses data of Hawken gear/mechs | and another one

#14 charliebrownau

charliebrownau

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted December 15 2012 - 10:20 PM

I have to disagree , changing the ini graphic settings because the devs dont give the option in the menu is NOT CHEATING
Its been done in PC gaming for many years.
I often turn off bloom, motion blur , HDR , glare , reduce AA to 2x. Choose the res and FOV I want.

What would be cheating is turning off textures or effects so you could see thou walls or graphics , which changing the ini file doesnt do (eg wall hacking)

Edited by charliebrownau, December 15 2012 - 10:20 PM.

#15 Vincs

Vincs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted December 15 2012 - 11:17 PM

Well i tested and it's seem fixed, unable to lunch the game just after did it.

#16 BuDeKai

BuDeKai

Some Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted December 16 2012 - 03:43 AM

so wait vincs, its fixed or ur game isnt launching_

Posted Image

#17 TJ

TJ

Former Lead Engineer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationHAWKEN HQ

Posted December 16 2012 - 04:10 AM

Nice little tweaking tutorial! I don't see anything cheat-worthy in this (though I may lock the Y/X fov now, heh). I've tried to optimize LOW to be as fast as possible already so ideally you don't have to tweak, but you're always welcome to. If anyone finds anything that gives a really unfair advantage, report it and we'll probably lock it down in a future build.

By keeping things open we give the community more flexibility, and we get quicker visibility into real issues, so I'm big in favor of config tweaking. I've done it myself since the Quake days, and I played that for money.
email me if you need some dev love <3 | Poor performance_ Send me specs, I try fix for you!!

#18 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts

Posted December 16 2012 - 04:22 AM

[ADH]TJ said:

Nice little tweaking tutorial! I don't see anything cheat-worthy in this (though I may lock the Y/X fov now, heh). I've tried to optimize LOW to be as fast as possible already so ideally you don't have to tweak, but you're always welcome to. If anyone finds anything that gives a really unfair advantage, report it and we'll probably lock it down in a future build.
I don't know if anyone's doing it yet, but it's possible to edit the INIs and set the resolution for Picmip texture settings extremely low - to the point that it basically removes textures.

Example using UT3:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Needless to say, I'd like to not see Hawken abused like this...

Edited by DarkPulse, December 16 2012 - 04:23 AM.

#19 h0B0

h0B0

Non Sequitur Leprechaun

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,143 posts
  • Location[delete for trolling] --defter

Posted December 16 2012 - 05:14 AM

View Post[ADH]TJ, on December 16 2012 - 04:10 AM, said:

By keeping things open we give the community more flexibility, and we get quicker visibility into real issues, so I'm big in favor of config tweaking. I've done it myself since the Quake days, and I played that for money.
Yeah, low seems to work fine for me. furthermore I dislike being distracted by the shiny when im trying to poke a hole through your mech.

View PostDarkPulse, on December 16 2012 - 04:22 AM, said:

stuff
I would love the ability to remove textures from Hawken. I remember playing a lot of those "aim" maps in CS
Posted Image

Click me! I dare you.

Posted Image

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on March 15 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Oh don't always listen to h0B0. Lol.

#20 Kinjeto

Kinjeto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted December 16 2012 - 05:38 AM

View PostHunt3rKill3r, on December 15 2012 - 03:00 PM, said:

Rag me if you want but, if you have to alter the files in order to win a game or, use cheats, it's not worth having you on my team or, even playing the game if the publishers allow it to happen.

Note: visual effects are good to have but as for anything to better take advantage over other players is still cheating.

My video is awesome in this game.

Its an unfair advantage if your computer runs at 120+ FPS and mine doesn't. It is also an UNFAIR advantage if I can't turn off the settings in the options menu (that were there previously and aren't there now) that provide a more solid graphical smooth gameplay experience.

I don't want:
- filmgrain
- fog
- bloom
- ambient occlusion
- depth of field
- physx effects
to be on all the time.

I want them toggleable. Tribes Ascend did exactly the same stupid non PC Gamer thing, where they got rid of the good options (and I can see there is an advanced menu underneath FFS the irony). Which forced everyone's hand and went full stupid with a disgusting options menu which had all the options tucked under layers of bollocks (click in, click out, click in, click out -- oh sorry option is in an obscure place) in the developer side things, they should (Hi-Rez Entertainment) of just done one scrolling options menu like Hawken has now. But Hi-Rez didn't and look where "that highly promised competitive MMOG has ended up" and is now trying to hawk SMITE. Let alone other bollocks ups.

PC Gamers everywhere know that options need to be under one section not under multiple sections, which is the worst move in developer history. To make the options menu a cluster bomb. If I click Graphics Options and it isn't there (or under the "Advanced") I'm gone out of that game.

Team Fortress 2 Competition has configuration files that gameplay smooth for everyone and are standard.
They also have a very competition based HUD and that is saying A LOT.

Edited by Kinjeto, December 16 2012 - 07:41 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users