HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Grenadier nerf

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#21 Kronguard

Kronguard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationLatvia.

Posted December 19 2012 - 04:32 PM

View PostRedVan, on December 18 2012 - 10:31 PM, said:

Next patch please.  Biggest noob fuzzy bunny I've ever seen in a game ever.  Giant spam fest of noobness.

You could cut the rof in half and it'd still be pretty noob.  I'm not even going to bother playing in matches with them any more.

Your the sole reason why there should of never been open beta.
Posted Image
   I dreamed a thousand new paths...I woke and walked my old one.

#22 Thresher

Thresher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationIdaho, USA

Posted December 19 2012 - 05:15 PM

Next patch please.  Biggest noob fuzzy bunny I've ever seen in a game ever.  Giant spam fest of noobness.

You could cut the rof in half and it'd still be pretty noob.  I'm not even going to bother playing in matches with them any more.
if you are having such a problem with the grenadier then use a light weight mech that has a TOW launcher.
Posted Image

#23 Thresher

Thresher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationIdaho, USA

Posted December 19 2012 - 05:24 PM

The more i play as the grenadier the more i see how it is to be used, and the only people i see that get killed by it are people who stay on the ground moveing in straight lines. people who keep moving in different directions, or pull a 180 and get me to follow them are the ones that survive. I try to use it in a support role. its too big and slow, and the weapons overheat to fast to be used in a drawn out battle. the grenades move slowly and can easily be avoided. I use it to cause chaos and to draw enemies to me so my team can finish them off. I see it as a great support mech.
Posted Image

#24 oENDERo

oENDERo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted December 19 2012 - 07:11 PM

I play grenadier like a big FAT infiltrator. Except without the heat cannon. Just juke your hardest, and that extra health will completely negate your need for speed.When they go to repair, (which they will, grenades hurt.) just lob the grenades behind them. Of course, if you get jumped by a berserker, bruiser, or c-rt, you're pretty much done if the player is equally skilled.

#25 Tetsuro

Tetsuro

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted December 19 2012 - 07:23 PM

My biggest problem with the Grenadier is that if you get hit once, you can't move due to the explosive stun.

Combine that with having two explosive weapons both with a decent rof, and you have a stun lock beast.

#26 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted December 19 2012 - 08:10 PM

View PostKronguard, on December 19 2012 - 04:32 PM, said:

You mean the guy who has been around since early CB/alpha_
Edit: also you mean you're not your

Edited by Beemann, December 19 2012 - 08:11 PM.

Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#27 Ollie

Ollie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted December 19 2012 - 08:27 PM

View PostBeemann, on December 19 2012 - 08:10 PM, said:

You mean the guy who has been around since early CB/alpha_
Edit: also you mean you're not your
Posted Image
errything is pink chex, errything is pink chex

#28 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted December 19 2012 - 10:50 PM

I've been in since alpha.  What really attracted me to this game since hearing about it when they originally announced it (2-3 years ago was it_  More_) is that it looked more skill based than the average FPS.  Spamming grenades is not skill.  "Good positioning" isn't skill.  Anyone can learn good positioning, then hold down the mouse button.  My cat can do that.

So if you'd like to think I'm just QQ'ing about this spam as an uneducated fool, think again.

#29 fireball

fireball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted December 20 2012 - 09:44 AM

Aiming grenades into a group from a position that doesn't get you slaughtered isn't really all that easy, especially as you're not really fast enough to avoid the engagements that might happen if you're caught out, and grenades generate a fair bit of heat as it is. The only time I "spam grenades" is when someone is stupid enough to stand in one spot, or when I'm trying to discourage people from entering or holding a hallway choke point (in which case I only actually lob one every other second, just to check to see if anyone ignored it and to keep up my mental invisible wall).  There's no way a grenadier could effectively pull his own weight just spamming grenades into AA.  Especially not from a safe position.  If your team is being ripped apart by such a grenadier...

You could argue that it's a bit powerful in CQC and mid range, though dodging helps balance that alot.  You can argue that it's hit stun is ridiculous  and I'd agree.  I still am not seeing the effective "noob spam" aspect.

#30 Kronguard

Kronguard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationLatvia.

Posted December 20 2012 - 09:50 AM

View PostRedVan, on December 19 2012 - 10:50 PM, said:

I've been in since alpha.  What really attracted me to this game since hearing about it when they originally announced it (2-3 years ago was it_  More_) is that it looked more skill based than the average FPS.  Spamming grenades is not skill.  "Good positioning" isn't skill.  Anyone can learn good positioning, then hold down the mouse button.  My cat can do that.

So if you'd like to think I'm just QQ'ing about this spam as an uneducated fool, think again.

The reason for my assumption was the way you called out for a nerf,the last time i saw that was years ago in WoW forums,i figured a manner like that had either died out or was just a bad dream.
When you call for a nerf you need basis for it,posting ''omg nerf X mech'' is just childish and pointless.
Posted Image

#31 Lord_Forrest

Lord_Forrest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationBad Axe, not joking look it up

Posted December 20 2012 - 10:05 AM

Kronguard, you have obviously never been on a League of Legends forum, oh the nerfs on some characters are so bad and unneeded, while characters that need the nerf never get one.  Case in point most recent was diana, hopeful Hawken will be better and not knee jerk nerf something because a bunch of people complain that they cant handle one of the easier mechs to catch out of position and beat in a one v one at close range only one worse is a SS
I came.  I saw.  I got my ass kicked!

#32 Kronguard

Kronguard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationLatvia.

Posted December 20 2012 - 10:10 AM

View PostLord_Forrest, on December 20 2012 - 10:05 AM, said:

Kronguard, you have obviously never been on a League of Legends forum, oh the nerfs on some characters are so bad and unneeded, while characters that need the nerf never get one.  Case in point most recent was diana, hopeful Hawken will be better and not knee jerk nerf something because a bunch of people complain that they cant handle one of the easier mechs to catch out of position and beat in a one v one at close range only one worse is a SS

I play LoL for around 2 years,honestly,i am scared going on their forums,i heard it's the same as Minecraft ones ;/
Posted Image

#33 Sylhiri

Sylhiri

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,135 posts

Posted December 20 2012 - 10:11 AM

Grenadier is the only mech to my knowledge that can stunlock. If you can't defend yourself in a fight then something is clearly wrong. It's like suggesting the EMP is balanced.

[13:14] <nonsiccus_work> uh oh

there's gravy in my keyboard

----------------------------------------------------------------------

[11:18] <+shosca> if you wanna play ar, go play zerker
[11:18] <Hyginos> and if you want to play zerker, go smc
[11:19] <someone> if you want to play sustain, please go and die in hell

#34 Lord_Forrest

Lord_Forrest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted December 20 2012 - 10:19 AM

View PostKronguard, on December 20 2012 - 10:10 AM, said:

View PostLord_Forrest, on December 20 2012 - 10:05 AM, said:

I play LoL for around 2 years,honestly,i am scared going on their forums,i heard it's the same as Minecraft ones ;/
yeah the forums are pretty bad, though i seen some well thought out arguments a lot of it is qq i suck so make others suck to so i can do better

#35 Lord_Forrest

Lord_Forrest

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted December 20 2012 - 10:20 AM

View PostSylhiri, on December 20 2012 - 10:11 AM, said:

Grenadier is the only mech to my knowledge that can stunlock. If you can't defend yourself in a fight then something is clearly wrong. It's like suggesting the EMP is balanced.
i have played grenadier and fought grenadier and never noticed this stunlock that people keep going on about

#36 Mothanos

Mothanos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted December 20 2012 - 10:24 AM

When iam hanging around with Fred and see a Grenadier its a certain win for Fred.
I dont know if the Grenadier needs to be nerfed or other mechs need to be brought on par with the Grenadier / Fred.

Some mechs feel very underpowered, maybe becuase they are more of a support role then a main killer, but to ask for nerfs for a heavy mech at this point when other mechs feels much weaker is not something i would support.

Remember each mech has its strenghts, if you let that Grenadier nuke your choke point then you have options availeble to you to dispose of him.

So instead of asking for nerfs i would begin with asking why cant i kill that grenadier with (insert your mech).

#37 Ollie

Ollie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted December 20 2012 - 10:28 AM

After much reflection and game time, I could get behind a slight (10-20%_) RoF & severe (remove all together_) stunlock nerf.

Shh, don't tell anyone.
errything is pink chex, errything is pink chex

#38 Karaipantsu

Karaipantsu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted December 21 2012 - 08:30 AM

I played a round in Origin last night, and while chilling under AA, I kept getting pelted by something from somewhere.  There was a damn Grenadier at the far end of the level launching Rev-GL rounds across the damn map from the tunnel basically right next to the energy tree with the roof near it.  I cannot believe the range this thing had.

I had to go kill him for the insult, and then my team lost AA.  I was sad.

#39 defekt

defekt

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 818 posts

Posted December 21 2012 - 09:46 AM

I'd be satisfied if the explosion dodge interrupt thing was removed.  I half-way suspect that this 'stunlock' effect was an unexpected side effect of a more general impact nudge routine.  I honestly don't believe that anyone specifically intended for relatively small explosions to stop mechs dead in their tracks.

#40 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted December 21 2012 - 10:22 AM

View PostMothanos, on December 20 2012 - 10:24 AM, said:

When iam hanging around with Fred and see a Grenadier its a certain win for Fred.
I dont know if the Grenadier needs to be nerfed or other mechs need to be brought on par with the Grenadier / Fred.

Some mechs feel very underpowered, maybe becuase they are more of a support role then a main killer, but to ask for nerfs for a heavy mech at this point when other mechs feels much weaker is not something i would support.

Remember each mech has its strenghts, if you let that Grenadier nuke your choke point then you have options availeble to you to dispose of him.

So instead of asking for nerfs i would begin with asking why cant i kill that grenadier with (insert your mech).

Yes, in a 1v1 Fred, an already known to be OP mech, will kill the grenadier.

But then, how often do you wind up in a 1v1 while playing siege or missile_  Hopefully not very often, or you're doing something wrong, being a team game and all....  The problem with grenadier is that it requires virtually no skill and dishes out massive damage.

Also, consider a grenadier nuking a choke point.  Yes, the other team has options to flank.  But, did you know that the grenadier can turn to aim somewhere else_

Imagine a team using 2 grenadiers, each covering 180 degrees on a point, and the rest of the team playing cleanup.  Sure, it's a valid strategy, but it's not good, fun, or skillful gameplay.

Do you want a game where spamming grenades is a good strategy_  Or do you want a game that requires well placed, precise shots_

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users