HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Grenadier nerf

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#1 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted December 18 2012 - 10:31 PM

Next patch please.  Biggest noob fuzzy bunny I've ever seen in a game ever.  Giant spam fest of noobness.

You could cut the rof in half and it'd still be pretty noob.  I'm not even going to bother playing in matches with them any more.

#2 Sicarius_X

Sicarius_X

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • LocationI am normally at computer desk. Or university

Posted December 18 2012 - 10:57 PM

The rev is a bit over powered, but it is not the end all weapon. It's very very good vs. people in choke points, it can be 1 or 6 people and the Grenadier doesn't really care if they are all coming from the same direction. If your team splits apart and comes from a few different ways then you have nothing to worry about. It could take a nerf though, I'm not disputing that. I'm just saying do not quit the game over it dude.

Edited by Sicarius_X, December 19 2012 - 12:00 AM.

#3 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted December 19 2012 - 12:09 AM

View PostSicarius_X, on December 18 2012 - 10:57 PM, said:

The rev is a bit over powered, but it is not the end all weapon. It's very very good vs. people in choke points, it can be 1 or 6 people and the Grenadier doesn't really care if they are all coming from the same direction. If your team splits apart and comes from a few different ways then you have nothing to worry about. It could take a nerf though, I'm not disputing that. I'm just saying do not quit the game over it dude.

i never said i was quitting the game altogether ;P  Just matches with spamming noobs in them.

That's exactly the problem, its too good at choke points.  Consider the small area people need to be in to do things like defend the AA, collect EU, or capture missile silos.  When you have gametypes and maps that encourage close quarters like that, a mech that can rapid fire high explosives is a bit OP.

#4 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted December 19 2012 - 02:14 AM

RevGL needed an ROF nerf.. instead it got a buff
Stop this madness please
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#5 nepacaka

nepacaka

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,762 posts
  • Locationin "KGB" headquarters, near with Baba Ji

Posted December 19 2012 - 10:42 AM

Grenadier is good balansed mech, he don't need "nerf" or "up". Еspecially with RevGL. imho

#6 Phaaze

Phaaze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • Location123 Mulburry St. Whoville Ontario Canada

Posted December 19 2012 - 10:45 AM

Statisticly speaking it deals bout 25% more damage then other weapons with similar range.  So yes it is better but not that bad.

Stats
most weps at 75m effective range: 80dps

REV GL :100dps

Edited by Phaaze, December 19 2012 - 10:46 AM.

#7 Pengod

Pengod

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted December 19 2012 - 10:53 AM

Normally I'm not one to defend keeping things the way they are, but seriously, it's huge and slow. beginning players using it are easy to kill due the lack they have in using it properly

#8 Ollie

Ollie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted December 19 2012 - 11:11 AM

Please, please don't nerf Grenadier.  It's the first class C that really makes the power/speed tradeoff acceptable.

Here are mistakes I see people making when they come up against a Gren:

Stop standing in choke points.  Walk around to the choke's other entrance, and kill the Gren.
Stop clusterducking around choke points.  When 3 of you are all holding hands, that's when ish gets OP.
Stop standing in front of the wall when you're hiding around a corner.  I can bounce 'nades off that wall.
Stop humping the corner.  I can put nades on the ground.  Use the corner to put space between you and the Gren.
I have difficulty hitting a flying target, but it isn't impossible.  It's the only time I've seen flight as useful.

But most importantly:
Kill the grenadier.  Class As do a number on me and can easily get to the other side of a choke.  Any class C that can force me to splash myself is probably going to win.  Throwing a shield down in front of a grenadier and then moving away from the shield completely neutralizes most of my weapons.  One EMP and I'm toast, because I'm going to have difficulty getting away.  Any time I can get baited into over-committing, I'm not likely to be able to escape.  And unless you're all holding hands, a 2v1 is fairly difficult to deal with.
errything is pink chex, errything is pink chex

#9 BuDeKai

BuDeKai

Some Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 641 posts

Posted December 19 2012 - 11:35 AM

it needs a slight reduction or less effect on the movement of the mechs its hitting.

the brawler makes fantastic use of the power speed tradeoff.

Posted Image

ive started streaming. the quality is fuzzy bunny but id appreciate any support
http://www.twitch.tv/budekai
also be sure to tune into The COCKPIT Hawken show! ---> http://community.pla...astshow-121212/

#10 Ollie

Ollie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted December 19 2012 - 11:41 AM

View PostBuDeKai, on December 19 2012 - 11:35 AM, said:

it needs a slight reduction or less effect on the movement of the mechs its hitting.

I could deal with a knockback nerf.

#11 Fantus_Longhorn

Fantus_Longhorn

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, UK

Posted December 19 2012 - 11:43 AM

View PostBuDeKai, on December 19 2012 - 11:35 AM, said:

Explosives freezing mechs in place needs fixing in general. Once that's done then I think the Grenadier will be fine, it's good at what it's meant for.

Posted Image

Hawken EMP Youtube Channel ~ Watch Previous Episodes Here

And unto us a clan is born...

"May all our assists be critical and all our kills be stolen. Amen"

#12 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted December 19 2012 - 12:28 PM

View PostOllie, on December 19 2012 - 11:11 AM, said:

Stop standing in choke points.  Walk around to the choke's other entrance, and kill the Gren.
Stop clusterducking around choke points.  When 3 of you are all holding hands, that's when ish gets OP.
Stop standing in front of the wall when you're hiding around a corner.  I can bounce 'nades off that wall.
Stop humping the corner.  I can put nades on the ground.  Use the corner to put space between you and the Gren.
I have difficulty hitting a flying target, but it isn't impossible.  It's the only time I've seen flight as useful.
Alright so according to your tips I should
Not play Sahara at all
Not go to S3 on Titan
Not hold the AA/S2
because those are all very chokepoint centric, and I wouldn't want to give the Grenadier the upper hand
Also I shouldn't be near any walls, but I also shouldn't really be out in the open either, depending on your level of competence and the loadout I'm using. Ergo my best spot is hovering roughly 10 feet off the ground away from any surfaces you could rebound grenades off of, or cover in grenades. Sounds legit
Furthermore, I should strive to never be anywhere near teammates, because the Grenadier's constant AOE spam isn't OP, moving as a group is
Also telling people to fly because you can't hit them when they do so is the surest sign that you're doinitwrong

Edited by Beemann, December 19 2012 - 12:28 PM.

Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#13 fireball

fireball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted December 19 2012 - 12:50 PM

Never fly against a grenadier, if they can't aim, they'll still figure out where to hit you in a few seconds and you'll go down, and if they can aim, you'll just go down even faster.  Let alone it is a good way to convince half their team to shoot you as well.

#14 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 19 2012 - 01:42 PM

Back in CBE3 when I was talking with people on how to make the REV more useful and less spammy, I foresaw these problems.

If you're going to make it easier to direct hit with, you need to drop the rate of fire and/or drop the AoE.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#15 Ollie

Ollie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted December 19 2012 - 02:28 PM

View PostBeemann, on December 19 2012 - 12:28 PM, said:

Alright so according to your tips I should
Not play Sahara at all
Or kill the threat by coming from the other direction.

Not go to S3 on Titan
Not without killing the threat first, no.  Do you hump Brawlers_

Not hold the AA/S2
Not without killing the threat first, no.  Do you hump Brawlers_

because those are all very chokepoint centric, and I wouldn't want to give the Grenadier the upper hand
You should totally read near the bottom where I suggested killing the threat first.  It's amazingly like killing the sniper before a run in Tribes, killing the k/d leader first in Vanilla FPS, focus-firing in Chocolate FPS, etc.  You might even try flanking, you crazy kid you.

Also I shouldn't be near any walls, but I also shouldn't really be out in the open either, depending on your level of competence and the loadout I'm using. Ergo my best spot is hovering roughly 10 feet off the ground away from any surfaces you could rebound grenades off of, or cover in grenades. Sounds legit
Yes.  When the mech is front loaded with all the power facing in front of him, the best place to be is roughly directly behind the grenadier.

Furthermore, I should strive to never be anywhere near teammates, because the Grenadier's constant AOE spam isn't OP, moving as a group is
You know you're taking splash damage from other mechs that use explosive weapons too, right_  So yeah, you should probably strive to not hold hands.

Also telling people to fly because you can't hit them when they do so is the surest sign that you're doinitwrong
Grenade arcs are harder to hit when someone's moving through 3 directions. *shrug*  It is not always an optimal strategy.  Certainly not with multiple engagements, as fireball notes.  The statement still stands -- I have a more difficult time hitting a flying target with arc'd grenades.  As fireball notes, it's much easier when they land -- but you're not flying unless it's some sort of last ditch effort...right_

Incidentally, kudos to fireball AND ajk for being able to critique without being a complete dickface about it. xoxoxo <3  Dude above was right, you've really got your panties in a fuzzy bunny bunch, huh_

#16 fireball

fireball

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted December 19 2012 - 02:53 PM

Well, more accurately, I meant they would die quickly in air once you adjusted to arc that was giving you yellow dots, and then slowly adjusted to keep getting yellow dots.  The only time flying makes them enough harder to hit to be worthwhile is when you're on the long range of my distance, and then just dashing around should have similar effectiveness.

#17 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted December 19 2012 - 03:05 PM

View PostOllie, on December 19 2012 - 02:28 PM, said:

Stuff
Running into a brawler and circling around half the map are two very different things. I'm really surprised that you don't recognize the difference
In any case, the delay itself is far more than any other class can pull off, and it's a massive advantage. Having to spend 30+ seconds circling around to kill a grenadier = might as well quit now (and I'm factoring in things like... you know... teammates, and the grenadier actually moving, both of which are frequent events in 6v6)

You should totally read near the bottom where I suggested killing the threat first.  It's amazingly like killing the sniper before a run in Tribes, killing the k/d leader first in Vanilla FPS, focus-firing in Chocolate FPS, etc.  You might even try flanking, you crazy kid you.
>sniper in tribes
I hope you're not talking about Ascend, where the sniper has always been dominant D and where killing the sniper gives you jack and fuzzy bunny in terms of a time frame AND where stopping to kill the sniper = fuzzy bunny up your run
Also, "just kill it" isn't really a viable argument, I could use the same argument concerning an opponent who hits you with EMP and drops you to the red. "Just kill them, it's all good"

Yes.  When the mech is front loaded with all the power facing in front of him, the best place to be is roughly directly behind the grenadier.
So my best bet is. instead, to stand in a position where I hope my opponent doesn't know what shift-S does_
That sounds legit

You know you're taking splash damage from other mechs that use explosive weapons too, right_  So yeah, you should probably strive to not hold hands.
I wasn't aware the the TOW and GL had RevGL firing rates

Grenade arcs are harder to hit when someone's moving through 3 directions. *shrug*  It is not always an optimal strategy.  Certainly not with multiple engagements, as fireball notes.  The statement still stands -- I have a more difficult time hitting a flying target with arc'd grenades.  As fireball notes, it's much easier when they land -- but you're not flying unless it's some sort of last ditch effort...right_
Vertical targets are the EASIEST targets to hit in the game. If you have trouble hitting them, you're doinitwrong
Flying as a last ditch effort is the equivalent of running straight into a sharpshooter while you're emp'd
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#18 ogFrag

ogFrag

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted December 19 2012 - 03:17 PM

So basically you are whining that too many nades come flying in from where you can't see_  Ever heard of radar_  How is it noobish to stand behind my team and frag the hell out of you_  It's called team strategy. Take the advice here and learn to combat it.  Seriously not going to give you any strategies to beat me but if you can't beat a Grenadier than you may be the noob.

#19 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted December 19 2012 - 03:39 PM

View PostogFrag, on December 19 2012 - 03:17 PM, said:

So basically you are whining that too many nades come flying in from where you can't see_  Ever heard of radar_  How is it noobish to stand behind my team and frag the hell out of you_  It's called team strategy. Take the advice here and learn to combat it.  Seriously not going to give you any strategies to beat me but if you can't beat a Grenadier than you may be the noob.
Protip: I played Grenadier before it got a straight buff
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#20 Ollie

Ollie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted December 19 2012 - 04:20 PM