HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Grenadier nerf

• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#41 Thundercnut

Thundercnut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted December 25 2012 - 09:44 AM

Gah..... Annoying when people whine about things being op cos they keep getting pwned by it and cant be bothered to just work out how to beat it.

The grenadier is a good bit of kit, if ur stupid enough to stand there and go toe to toe with it then its prob gonna blow u to pieces in a few seconds. So dont go toe to toe with it_

I use a bruiser and I take them to pieces pretty much every time so I cant see how ppl think they are op. I just get airborne, that way the secondary hasnt much chance of hitting u. Same goes for TOW missiles from his mates, If any of them are packing hellfires then obv this wuold not be a good idea! If i get a hit from the rev GL then disengage your boosters and drop a few metres, thus cocking up the grenadiers firing solution. If hes a good shot stick on damage absorption. Give it death with hellfires and vulcan on way down then try and land right on its head, then strafe round it hitting it with dumbfire hellfire barrages and point blank vulcan hits to the cockpit and it goes down like a sack of fuzzy bunny.

Or EMP it and take it to bits_

Or engage from long range in an open area where you can maneuver and it wont be able to hit you.

They never seem that high on the scoreboard, its the berzerker pilots racking up 70 kills with like 5 deaths, if you want to talk about OP mechs then those are much harder to deal with than a grenadier imo.

#42 Foggy

Foggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted December 25 2012 - 10:42 AM

Sometimes I hate the fact that grenadiers just keep spamming nades like crazy with what seems to be no end in sight, but I'm usually able to ditch that area quickly, and find a way to get around the back of them and kill them fairly quickly at close range with my recruit mech (usually one well placed HE and a TOW, then chip the rest of the life out of them), so I can't really complain about it.  Plus, only a small handful of players seem to use the gren really effectively, checking the scoreboard usually shows that most people who use grenadiers aren't racking up crazy scores (at least the bulk of the games I've been in).  So it can't be too bad.

Like most really specialized mechs, I think it takes the right kind of player & strategy to get the most out of it.  It's deadly in the right hands, but much less effective if you don't know how to maximize its potential.   Nerfing it would probably just make less people want to use it. If you're getting repeatedly killed by someone with it, try changing your strategy/approach/awareness.  And learn to flee faster when you start hearing the clink of nades lol.

#43 Thresher

Thresher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationIdaho, USA

Posted December 25 2012 - 10:44 AM

I use the grenadier and those bruisers hurt, but if you keep them at the optimal range they are not hard to deal with. Those berzerkers they are really powerful, and take first most of the time. also i take first often enough with my grenadier. the only time grenadiers are OP is when there is 3 running in a pack and concentrating fire. Then they can destroy an entire team in a matter of seconds. The EMP will get a grenadier killed, and there is nothing a grenadier can do about it. well they can try do doge it.
Posted Image

#44 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted December 25 2012 - 11:00 AM

The problem is that the Rev-GL is a skilless weapon. Do you want a weapon in this game that can just be spammed_

I've used it. If you think getting airborne will save you against anyone half way competent, it won't. And if you think you can come up with a strat to defeat it, any competent player will easily counter that strat, but with a far easier weapon, they will wreck you.

Trust me, these are not the ramblings of some noob that's qq'ing because he can't defeat a grenadier...

Edited by RedVan, December 25 2012 - 11:03 AM.

#45 Karaipantsu

Karaipantsu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted December 25 2012 - 11:37 AM

It's no less "skillless" than The TOW.  Probably more finesse to it all round, if we're honest, since you can use it to bombard around corners and from below much much better.  It isn't as effective against airborne enemies as the TOW, though, so there is that.

Of course, then you always get a normal grenade from the GL in the face when you go flying....

#46 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 25 2012 - 11:55 AM

View PostKaraipantsu, on December 25 2012 - 11:37 AM, said:

It's no less "skillless" than The TOW.  Probably more finesse to it all round, if we're honest, since you can use it to bombard around corners and from below much much better.
Far less finesse involved because of the high rate of fire. Just spam nades around the corner till you hit something.
Hell, you don't even have to hit something to be effective, because it's a constant stream of damage that acts as area denial. Basically you turn the floor into lava on command.

Can you get the same sort of effectiveness using the TOW, just holding down M2_
I thought not. In order to make your TOWs effective, you have to try to land them, or get as close to landing them as possible.

It isn't as effective against airborne enemies as the TOW, though, so there is that.
Unless they're at a mid-long range, I find it easier to land REVs on a normal basis than the TOW.
I think that is subjective to your level of skill.

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#47 Brakskit

Brakskit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted December 25 2012 - 01:48 PM

Yesterday I played a round where the other team learned how to deal with it by focusing fire and staying clear of barrages, and it was a very good grenadier too, they sent players in behind our lines to pop him.

I also played a round where I took my inf and killed a grenadier just by doing circles around it, taking barely any splash damage.

idgtop.

#48 Karaipantsu

Karaipantsu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted December 25 2012 - 04:49 PM

Doesn't change the fact that you can't attack around corners nearly as effectively with the TOW... or from below, like on Origin.  I've seen Grenadiers sit down by the EU trees and just lob grenades into the AA from below.  As much as it's spammy, there's still some unique tricks it can pull that no other weapon can.

#49 Thresher

Thresher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationIdaho, USA

Posted December 25 2012 - 04:55 PM

I find it more easy to evade a grenadier's REV-GL then the TOW. I play as the grenadier and the TOW is just a killer. also when I go 1v1 against another grenadier I normally  come out on top, but against the A-Class mechs it is much more difficult to score a kill, ad if i am by my self those A-Classes will beat me every time, almost. only a fool gets caught in choke points and killed by them. I see people all the time take some damage, then try to go back around the corner they just came from the grenades bouncing off the wall and killing them. I also see people run head long into choke point that grenades are already going into and get killed for it. people are fools and want things brought down to their level. I have seen games accommodate these fools, and the games are worse off for it.
Posted Image

#50 MariusThePaladin

MariusThePaladin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted December 25 2012 - 10:01 PM

Please nerf Grenadier. It's like USAS-12 with frag rounds before patch if this is Battlefield 3 : You don't need to hit the enemy, you just need to guess where they are and spam the explosive shot, and you'll get kills. People who are against this is only the grenadier user, but people who complain about this are the people who pilotted all other mech. We are majority, please listen to us.

#51 CnEY

CnEY

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted December 25 2012 - 10:48 PM

View PostMariusThePaladin, on December 25 2012 - 10:01 PM, said:

Please nerf Grenadier. It's like USAS-12 with frag rounds before patch if this is Battlefield 3 : You don't need to hit the enemy, you just need to guess where they are and spam the explosive shot, and you'll get kills. People who are against this is only the grenadier user, but people who complain about this are the people who pilotted all other mech. We are majority, please listen to us.

Don't be so quick to speak for everyone who pilots non-grenadier mechs.  I've had very little problem in my CR-T outclassing most grenadiers I've seen this week, likely because the majority of grenadier users this week have been using it on the free trial and thus aren't actually accustomed to making the best of it.  (I reckon I'd be fairly terrible with it too given I've only spent about 10 minutes with it.)

I'll respect those who've clearly had more experience than myself who say the Rev-GL may need a bit of a nerf, and that it can be way too spammy around tight corners. Beyond that, the grenadier clearly has weaknesses as well as strengths.

#52 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted December 26 2012 - 01:10 AM

View PostCnEY, on December 25 2012 - 10:48 PM, said:

I'll respect those who've clearly had more experience than myself who say the Rev-GL may need a bit of a nerf, and that it can be way too spammy around tight corners. Beyond that, the grenadier clearly has weaknesses as well as strengths.
In the hands of a competent user, the RevGL is good in normal fights (leading isn't really a problem with that ROF helping you out), bombarding points from a distance, holding chokepoints and doing damage from around the corner
In the hands of an incompetent user, it's still good for chokepoints and random bombardment
The stunlock definitely doesn't help either, though even after that gets fixed the rev will still be the best weapon in the game short of having it nerfed specifically
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#53 Omega22

Omega22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted December 26 2012 - 05:27 AM

They all have a place in the game and i think we should stop complaining about this mech and just go out there and play , thats why there are different class mechs in the game...

as beeman said in the hands of a skilled player its formidable and in the hands of a unskilled player LIKE ME ... easy kill

so leave this puppy alone as is...  and yes not many people like this mech only a few.. and this is the hardest mech to master in terms of skill and the secondary gun is like a cannon ball firing from a medival ship

more like a meatball

so there you go

Edited by Omega22, December 26 2012 - 05:28 AM.

I see DeaD HawkeN PilotS and they all are  NooBS !

#54 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 26 2012 - 09:32 AM

View PostOmega22, on December 26 2012 - 05:27 AM, said:

as beeman said in the hands of a skilled player its formidable and in the hands of a unskilled player LIKE ME ... easy kill

so leave this puppy alone as is...  and yes not many people like this mech only a few.. and this is the hardest mech to master in terms of skill and the secondary gun is like a cannon ball firing from a medival ship
You don't balance the game around newbies and bad players, you balance it around the upper tier, because otherwise these powerful weapons get abused and eventually nobody uses anything but the overpowered weapons.

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#55 Silchas

Silchas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted December 26 2012 - 09:53 AM

Please don't nerf the grenadier, the constant whining and QQ I generate with it is worth it's weight in gold. Ban the Rev-gl from competitive play, but let me have my fun in pubs.

#56 Foggy

Foggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted December 26 2012 - 10:24 AM

View PostThresher, on December 25 2012 - 10:44 AM, said:

...the only time grenadiers are OP is when there is 3 running in a pack and concentrating fire. Then they can destroy an entire team in a matter of seconds.

This is spot-on.  I ran into a team last night mostly consisting of grenadiers and berserkers and it was a real pain to kill anyone, especially since they stayed in a tight pack so I was never facing one by itself.  I think I was the only one on my team with a positive k/d rate lol.  What I would like to see (and maybe this should be a new topic if it hasn't already come up) is a limitation of how many of each type of specialized mech can appear on each type of team.  Some online games already have similar type of system in place, and if you're joining a team that already has a grenadier (or two), then you have to pick another class.  Just make it so that the assault/recruit classes have no limitation, since they are standard attack vehicles_  This might also promote trying other classes for people who otherwise wouldn't stray from using one type of mech.  Just a thought...

#57 wooser

wooser

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted December 26 2012 - 11:51 AM

The Rev feels like it could do with an increased heat generation, but I've not played for long. Spam is always going to be a touchy issue.

#58 Brakskit

Brakskit

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted December 26 2012 - 01:49 PM

View Postwooser, on December 26 2012 - 11:51 AM, said:

The Rev feels like it could do with an increased heat generation, but I've not played for long. Spam is always going to be a touchy issue.

Now this I agree with massively, by the time it's ready to fire again 95% of its heat has cooled off!
(Oh.. I was thinking about the big single-shot GL with this about heat cooldown, but yeah. Should get some more heat to deal with but the entire mech would need readjustment besides what it already needs)

(It would be welcome in a whole heat & mech system remodelling that does something about weaxpon x mech x hitsize x mobility balance)

Edited by Brakskit, December 26 2012 - 02:09 PM.

#59 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted December 26 2012 - 01:51 PM

View PostOmega22, on December 26 2012 - 05:27 AM, said:

They all have a place in the game and i think we should stop complaining about this mech and just go out there and play , thats why there are different class mechs in the game...

more like a meatball

so there you go
I don't think you understood my post
It's easy to use, it's still fairly easy to master, and it's effective at both levels
ROF needs to come down, heat generation needs to go up, stunlock in general needs to go
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#60 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted December 26 2012 - 01:53 PM

I just tested it today, the REV-GL has a 15m blast radius.

So nobody tell me it's hard to hit people with that thing. You just have to land the nades with a mech-length or so of them and you can damage them.

AJK is right

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users