HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

[Discussion] Camera Shake Anoying_

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you like to see the shaking removed or stay the way it is_ (209 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see the shaking removed or stay the way it is_

1. Keep it the way it is and just deal whit it. (123 votes [58.85%])

Percentage of vote: 58.85%

2. Have the option to remove it, evyone wins. (86 votes [41.15%])

Percentage of vote: 41.15%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Maligkno

Maligkno

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted March 20 2012 - 09:52 AM

After being very exited about Hawken and realy loving it, some of the latest videos have made me realize a big flaw on the game itself, the camera shaking or ui inside the mech moves way too much, i think its great that they are triying to capture the feel of the mechs but the exesive shaking gets very anoying very fast.

So my suggestion is to add an option to remove the camera shaking entirely, i have experience this in other games and if it has the option i end up removing it day 1 and never go back.

Its a win win, its nice when your playing it the first time. feels great, its awsome and you are amazed by the game, but when you wana sit down to play some sirius multiplayer distractions must be eliminated, kids need to go to bed, wife needs to stfu and the UI should not shake so much to let me aim steadly in to the face of my foes.

Posted Image

#2 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted March 20 2012 - 01:39 PM

You may add a poll with 3 or 4 options to this thread  -->  Don't fear the poll! :P

IMHO, camera shakes enlarge immersion. Although I'd limit cam_shakes to big impacts, collision and hits only.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#3 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted March 20 2012 - 02:52 PM

I don't mind the mech part moving so long as it doesn't effect the crosshair itself.

I do hate motion blur though. I already know I'll turn that off.

#4 Cutlass

Cutlass

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted March 20 2012 - 06:14 PM

If you add it as an option to turn of camera shake wouldn't that put people who turn it off at an advantage_  If they are able to aim clearly, even when being bombarded by the opponent then attacking someone with large explody missiles would have one of their benefits removed.  

I would understand if this did not allow for easier aiming, things like motion blur for example.  It is a good effect for some kinds of gameplay, but for snipers it is impossible.

#5 Zeruel_X11

Zeruel_X11

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted March 23 2012 - 09:43 PM

Keep the shaking on but make sure the crosshair dosent move so there is room for improvement through skill to over come the shaking.

Also I don't think motion blur should be in the game. If things are moving fast then we experience our own motion blur not the games. Two motion blurs at once will make it look bad.

#6 lekoklatik

lekoklatik

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSlovakia

Posted March 23 2012 - 11:45 PM

Well, motion blur is just for "lets do this job quick and easy" mod ("we dont want to mess with graphic, so lets blur it out everythin").
Everyone doin it. Even in photoshop. Doesnt fit_ Blur it!

About shaking, this thing is that ONE (and sound ofc), why Iam enjoying every gameplay trailer right now. It feels so f*cking REAL and I cant wait to put few sound systems around me and jump into battle.

"I can accept failure"

"Do not wait for the perfect moment. Take THIS moment and make it perfect"

www.hojko.com

#7 D20Face

D20Face

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,091 posts

Posted March 24 2012 - 03:42 AM

Actually, motion blur is there so that motion is absorbed more easily by the human brain.

Production films are recorded at like 6 times the frames seen on the the big screen. They edit those frames together with a blur effect so that the motions are more fluid.

I've just never experienced it working well in video games. Maybe some day it'll get done right, but I haven't seen it yet.

#8 Naraklok

Naraklok

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 510 posts

Posted March 24 2012 - 02:40 PM

As long as it's not constant I'll be okay with it.

An optional toggle would be nice.
Naraklok

#9 chaoZ

chaoZ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted March 25 2012 - 05:00 AM

I'm ok with it, but I don't see the point in having the option to turn it off, everybody would eventually set it off to not be at a clear disadvantage.

#10 Pointman

Pointman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted March 25 2012 - 11:26 AM

Usually I'm one to disable EVERY extraneous effect, but I like the camera shake when the mech moves. As long as it doesn't affect my crosshair or my field of view, I'm ok with keeping it on. I won't begrudge anyone wanting the option to disable it, though

#11 OdinTheWise

OdinTheWise

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  • Locationsomewhere beyond time and space (-5 GMT)

Posted March 25 2012 - 04:00 PM

meh

because bow ties are cool

#12 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted March 26 2012 - 07:39 AM

That what you have viewed in the latest gameplay video is still a WiP (Work in Progress). Meaning that what we have seen up until now may change... or not.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#13 GUEST!!

GUEST!!

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted March 26 2012 - 11:06 AM

I'd be OK with a toggling option, but really I kind of felt like it added a touch of realisim to the idea of sitting inside the belly of a giant metal beast that was running around. Probably not a smooth ride.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 Keekenox

Keekenox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  • LocationThe internetz

Posted March 27 2012 - 05:36 AM

they have legs.... not gunna be a smooth ride at all...
"A conversation is a dialogue, not a monologue. That's why there are so few good conversations: due to scarcity, two intelligent talkers seldom meet."
Wandering gun #45

#15 Southpaw

Southpaw

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted March 27 2012 - 05:38 AM

Depends on what they're going for.

Seeing as in my eyes they're leaning more towards a Arena style FPS. I'd prefer the option to be able to toggle it at least.

#16 The_Joke

The_Joke

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted September 18 2012 - 05:43 AM

I echo the previous concerns that I've never seen constant camera shake work without nauseating effects.  While great for improving how realistic collisions are, as a general movement thing, I vote nay.  The thing is that the human brain compensates for that kind of motion in real life, so when its force fed it messes with your system.

-Justice
---Happy trails, everyone---

#17 Greasy

Greasy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted September 18 2012 - 11:51 AM

I'm personally okay with the idea of having it as two options, being able to toggle it on and off that is.

And I wouldn't consider it an advantage to those that have it off, because anyone can turn that off. It's like saying you shouldn't have a sensitivity option, because people who work well with higher sensitivities have higher advantages.
-Greasy

#18 Sircole

Sircole

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • LocationFremont, CA

Posted September 18 2012 - 01:06 PM

I'm totally for it. It's the #1 feature that sold me on the game. And disabling it seems blasphemous to me, let alone a form of cheating. IMO

EDIT: Also, Objection! Leading the poller. The wording of that poll is obvious in it's bias haha.

Edited by Sircole, September 18 2012 - 01:13 PM.

#ifndef SIRCOLE
#define SIRCOLE 0x539
#endif //SIRCOLE

#19 SexyKate

SexyKate

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • LocationCA

Posted September 18 2012 - 01:35 PM

pc gamers always love more options!

#20 DieselCat

DieselCat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • LocationSunny South Florida

Posted September 18 2012 - 02:38 PM

View PostThe Silencer, on March 20 2012 - 01:39 PM, said:

You may add a poll with 3 or 4 options to this thread  -->  Don't fear the poll! :P

IMHO, camera shakes enlarge immersion. Although I'd limit cam_shakes to big impacts, collision and hits only.

I think this is the way to go. Having an option to either turn the camera shaking on or off might cause an advantage/disadvantage to those depending on what they choose. By limiting the camera shakes to certain situations, like mentioned above, would still create the desired effect but maybe not to the point of being a distraction for some people.
*+
Posted Image
Just Relax...and take life one game at a time...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users