HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

[Discussion] Camera Shake Anoying_

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

Poll: Would you like to see the shaking removed or stay the way it is_ (209 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see the shaking removed or stay the way it is_

1. Keep it the way it is and just deal whit it. (123 votes [58.85%])

Percentage of vote: 58.85%

2. Have the option to remove it, evyone wins. (86 votes [41.15%])

Percentage of vote: 41.15%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 GREW

GREW

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted September 18 2012 - 04:06 PM

Motion blur should be a thing you can turn off, just for the sake of lower end machines having an easier time running the game smoothly.
I do like the massive shaking of the mech as your pummeled with rockets, it only makes sense.

Also also
@ DieselCat

I think you sig might be a bit too big there dude ;)

Posted Image

#22 Flamel

Flamel

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted September 18 2012 - 05:26 PM

I like the realism the camera shake adds to the game, as long as it doesn't effect play too much. That said, it can be irritating if it's not done well or it happens way to often. And as mentioned above, if it effects the crosshairs, I'm seriously in favour of deleting it.

#23 Ravenlute

Ravenlute

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationEmerald City

Posted September 18 2012 - 05:35 PM

This is one of the reasons I love this game, it makes it really feel like you're in a mech, not a swivel chair.
Ravenlute

#24 ModnarSarhp

ModnarSarhp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • LocationImperial Beach, CA

Posted September 18 2012 - 11:16 PM

I'm very neutral on the subject, I won't really be able to make a decision on it until I play it, which is hopefully soon, =P Options are always better though.

Be sure to click on the emblem below to visit our forums!

Posted Image

One of the five elements that build the Earth, o great creator of flames. The light of salvation that gives birth to life, the light of judgment that punishes evildoers. While bringing peace and stability at the same time, it also destroys the cold and dark misfortune. Fire is the name, sword is the title! Show yourself, swallow thyself, turn it into power!

#25 bOneS_

bOneS_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationChicago,IL

Posted September 18 2012 - 11:38 PM

View PostNaraklok, on March 24 2012 - 02:40 PM, said:

As long as it's not constant I'll be okay with it.

An optional toggle would be nice.

I agree with this toggle options for realism, Is a great idea.

Posted Image

#26 C_K0r

C_K0r

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted September 19 2012 - 01:53 AM

YEAH, getting a rocket in the face will shake your mech, be a real pilot and deal with it.
Besides a toggle option would effect the balance. I mean if the opponent won't shake when you hit him.
he will have a better accuracy then you, that seems a bit unfair don't you think_

Edited by C_K0r, September 19 2012 - 01:55 AM.

#27 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted September 19 2012 - 01:00 PM

Exactly.. that would make a difference, indeed.

On the other one hand, I'd like to consider how relevant these kind of settings would be in the competitive gaming scene. To not say how decisive..

So I'd suggest to differentiate the way in which certain settings should be taken into account within competitive games. Probably, server or host based settings would be the proper way to handle these 2 distinct arenas; by overriding this way those sensitive settings not considered to be fair-play prior and as the game starts.

P.S. Additionally, users running the game on low/medium-end computers should be inherently considered.

Edited by The_Silencer, September 19 2012 - 01:13 PM.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#28 BillyFB

BillyFB

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted September 19 2012 - 04:07 PM

The main problem here is a question of balance I think there should be shaking, and I prefer a real shaking that makes it harder to shoot strait but that I'm the one still aiming instead of a random percentage loss of accuracy, as such it can not be too much as to cripple to much the game play, and being pounded by 2 guys for instance cannot prevent you from shouting even if with low accuracy provoked by the shaking, and because this would be tied to game play it could not be a switch, but without it I think the game would be much less natural and off. Just don't make it as to prevent one from playing.

#29 Hungus

Hungus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted September 19 2012 - 04:44 PM

I despise camera shake in every single game I play. It is an unpleasant gimmick that negativly effects gameplay.

There can also be unforseen negative effects depending on whether the shaking effect is server or client side. If it is server side it will have an extremely negative effect on any body playing with medium to high ping. World of Tanks suffered this issue untill they realised it was a horrible idea to force camera shake on to people.

Edited by Hungus, September 19 2012 - 04:52 PM.

#30 QuanZen

QuanZen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts
  • Location_...My GPS isn't working

Posted September 19 2012 - 05:00 PM

Seems only right for them to have a setting in options for whether or not you want this feature on/off.
Posted Image

#31 FirstSgtDan

FirstSgtDan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationSão Paulo, SP - Brazil

Posted September 19 2012 - 05:21 PM

I would never agree to add an option to remove it completely... But why not add some kind of option to control how much it shakes_
Posted Image

#32 Immie

Immie

Dev Killer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted September 19 2012 - 06:44 PM

I put in a vote for "Have the option to remove it". I could argue how that's not exactly the best option, but instead I'll just say: some of the camera shaking in demo videos looks incredibly disorienting, and I hope there'll be some way of playing without it being that crazy.

Food for thought: Stabilizers as a customizable mech component, which add weight (or some other stat) in exchange for reduced screen shake/knockback/stun from big attacks_

Edited by Immie, September 19 2012 - 06:47 PM.

Posted Image

#33 DieselCat

DieselCat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • LocationSunny South Florida

Posted September 19 2012 - 07:08 PM

It seems some people are for this feature, some against and some are neutral. I think  it should be a feature of the game, but in a way that can satisfy most. If there was some sort of MOD selection that all players could choose in that particular game, say like camera shake option intensity x1..x2..x3...etc. that all can agree on before a match begins, I think that might  be a way everyone could be happy. But it would have to be the same selection by everyone before the game begins....and of course, something of this nature would have to be programed into the game at some point prior to or maybe as an up date later on...
Just a thought...good / bad _ .... But I think the camera shake does need to stay in the game as long as it creates a level playing field.

*+
Posted Image
Just Relax...and take life one game at a time...

#34 3l_Drako

3l_Drako

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted September 20 2012 - 05:42 AM

You should shake, thats how it would happen irl. ( I wish we had big as mech fights in real life :D)

Posted Image

#35 Vore

Vore

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted September 21 2012 - 09:20 PM

I agree, this is a PC game and I'd like the options to be as customisable as my PC. Having said that I rarely change controls from default. I like camera shake. For the sake of player balance / fairness - have "shake compensators / cockpit suspension" as a workshop option, an if-you-don't-want-it-you-have-go-without-something-else kind of thing. Lightweight scout mechs need that for sniping, the heavy nuke throwers not so much.

#36 Phobotech

Phobotech

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationDallas, Texas

Posted September 21 2012 - 09:46 PM

Lol, it's an oversized bipedal walking machine. There's GONNA be shaking in just the simple act of moving....players should learn to adapt to it or gtfo. XD
Posted Image

#37 Applethief

Applethief

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • LocationMiddle of, Nowhere; United States

Posted September 21 2012 - 10:38 PM

I like the shake, I want an option for more shake. EYEBALLS BE DAMNED!
Posted Image

#38 mancandy

mancandy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted September 27 2012 - 08:20 AM

Wouldn't it be a great idea to have shake be an aspect of your mech that is dependent on its load out and parts and stuff. There is so much potential for mech parts that aren't the guns. different legs have different levels of shake, and if there's the tank treads or tires options, then that will affect shake too. Not only that, but if you get shaken up from getting hit, then add stabilizer options. parts that will reduce the amount of shake from damage. Also that adds another layer to the weapons. Some weapons might cause more shake than others, like a blast weapon versus a bullet weapon.

#39 Gokki

Gokki

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted September 27 2012 - 06:25 PM

I think it's obvious: let players chose. While i would keep the shake because i like it think its overdone, needs to be toned down abit.

#40 Psycho_Samurai

Psycho_Samurai

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted September 27 2012 - 09:57 PM

I just tried playing it today and after 5mins I have a headache. Way and I mean WAY too much shaking going on.
I understand a little bit of bounce to simulate a walking mech but man, total nauseating overkill. I won't be able to play until it's toned way down.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users