HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Launcher wont open

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 2d_Lt_R_D_Dash

2d_Lt_R_D_Dash

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted January 08 2013 - 02:02 PM

I just downloaded the game and installed it, but when I checked "Launch/play Hawken" at the end of the download, I got the little spinny thing on my mouse for a couple seconds but then nothing. I checked my task manager to make sure it wasn't running in the background or something and its not. it's like its just refusing to start. Not sure what to do...

#2 machmanx

machmanx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted January 09 2013 - 06:38 PM

Try reinstalling the game into C:/Hawken .  If it works it's not cooperating with UAC.

Me Built PC | Win 8 Pro | AMD Phenom II X4 B60 | Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 (314.22) | 8GB DDR3
DESKTOP CLEAN Nvidia Driver Install | LAPTOP CLEAN Nvidia Driver Install | PhysX Helpful Info

#3 2d_Lt_R_D_Dash

2d_Lt_R_D_Dash

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted January 10 2013 - 03:05 PM

View Postmachmanx, on January 09 2013 - 06:38 PM, said:

Try reinstalling the game into C:/Hawken .  If it works it's not cooperating with UAC.

Yeah I tried that. thanks for trying to help but I think the problem is bigger than something like that. I've already filed a ticket and they have put me through 2 different support guys to try and get this issue fixed.

#4 machmanx

machmanx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted January 11 2013 - 12:36 AM

I know you're being helped, but can you post your OS, system specs, and video driver version_

Me Built PC | Win 8 Pro | AMD Phenom II X4 B60 | Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 (314.22) | 8GB DDR3
DESKTOP CLEAN Nvidia Driver Install | LAPTOP CLEAN Nvidia Driver Install | PhysX Helpful Info

#5 2d_Lt_R_D_Dash

2d_Lt_R_D_Dash

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted January 11 2013 - 06:37 AM

View Postmachmanx, on January 11 2013 - 12:36 AM, said:

I know you're being helped, but can you post your OS, system specs, and video driver version_

Sure.
Processor: Intel i7
Graphics card: AMD brand ATI Radeon HD 6970
The video driver is the Catalyst Control Center that was installed with the graphics card.

If there are any other specs you want, let me know. that's all I can think of that would be useful.

#6 12oz_Jesus

12oz_Jesus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted January 11 2013 - 07:24 AM

I have almost the same exact system specs (also my rig is Alienware in case there is any issue with that software - I've seen 1 other game have an issue - and I have the same problem.

I "ran as administrator" to install game, but every time I launch it I get only a white box for a minute or 2 then program ends.

If you get a solution, please post.  I've seen a dozen or so posts about this same issue with no solution.

Edited by 12oz_Jesus, January 11 2013 - 07:25 AM.

#7 2d_Lt_R_D_Dash

2d_Lt_R_D_Dash

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted January 11 2013 - 11:56 AM

View Post12oz_Jesus, on January 11 2013 - 07:24 AM, said:

I have almost the same exact system specs (also my rig is Alienware in case there is any issue with that software - I've seen 1 other game have an issue - and I have the same problem.

I "ran as administrator" to install game, but every time I launch it I get only a white box for a minute or 2 then program ends.

If you get a solution, please post.  I've seen a dozen or so posts about this same issue with no solution.

I'll let you know, but I don't even get the white box of the launcher. I just get the little spinner next to my mouse for a couple seconds and nothing.

#8 2d_Lt_R_D_Dash

2d_Lt_R_D_Dash

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted January 14 2013 - 05:38 PM

UPDATE: They have sent me through 3 different tech support people and I have yet to be given a solution. The latest helper asked for the DxDiag file, so I gave that to them and have yet to hear a response. Just updating for anyone who is sharing this issue.

#9 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted January 14 2013 - 06:27 PM

I posted this in another thread you were in, so yeah, its a crosspost, but you didn't seem to see it.

Try this, I borrowed this from MerryAgony.

1. Create a shortcut of the HawkenLauncher.exe on your desktop
2. Right click on the shortcut and select Properties.
3. In the Target path add /Window so that it falls outside of the quotes (e.g. "C:Program Files (x86)MeteorEntertainmentHawkenInstalledHawkenFilesHawkenLauncher.exe" /Window)
This will launch a separate window which will show a running log as the launcher initializes.
4. Start the Launcher
5. Wait for the Launcher to load up or an issue to occur and then navigate to the window that launched with the HawkenLauncher.
6. In the window, right click and click "Select All"
7. Hit CTRL+C to copy and then past that into a text file to attach to your ticket

Good luck

Edited by SS396, January 14 2013 - 07:16 PM.

# while true; do echo "Post"; done

#10 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted January 14 2013 - 07:09 PM

Looks like the launcher executable file is corrupted or that something is blocking it as you run it.

Temporarily disable your security software to see if it loads well or not. Other than that.. do you uninstall well before re-installing the game_ Try to remove the hawken folder in your "..Desktop/my Documents" folder after an uninstall as well.

Maybe a controller issue_ Is this happening to you with nay other application or just with the Hawken's launcher_

Hoping that any of this may help you there with that issue. Luck with it!

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#11 machmanx

machmanx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted January 14 2013 - 07:37 PM

Ooh, nice specs :)

I feel the same way as The_Silencer.  Something is blocking the executable from running.  If you have any antivirus or other active scanning programs enabled then add the following files to exception:-

C:/Program Files (x86)/MeteorEntertainment/Hawken/InstalledHawkenFiles/HawkenLauncher.exe
C:/Program Files (x86)/MeteorEntertainment/Hawken/InstalledHawkenFiles/Binaries/Win32/HawkenGame-Win32-Shipping.exe

Another thing you can try is directly running the 2nd file by right-click and Run As Administrator.

Try updating drivers to the 12.11 beta drivers from AMD.com

#12 2d_Lt_R_D_Dash

2d_Lt_R_D_Dash

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted January 15 2013 - 06:15 AM

Ok, seeing as I got three responses and suggestions, I'm going to respond to each of them in turn.

SS396: That was one of the suggestions that one of the tech guys gave me. I did that, but like a split second after the window opens it greys out and I get the error window of "Hawken has stopped working, windows is searching for a solution to the problem" or something like that.

The_Silencer: Not having problems with any other launcher based products (Planetside 2, Guild Wars, etc) so its not a controller issue. Yes I do a full un-install and even search for the hidden crash log files to delete.

Machmanx: I WOULD do that but I don't even have that "HawkenGame-Win32-Shipping.exe" Application in my folder. Also, wouldn't that not work seeing as I'm running 64 bit_ Anyway, the only security I'm using is Microsoft Security essentials or something like that. I had an issue with a pretty nasty virus awhile back, so bad that I had to go to a computer repair shop to get it fixed. They said that this security was actually better than the one I had paid for. -.- go figure. The security usually comes up with a window asking for me to allow permission if it blocks something, it doesn't auto block applications without telling me.

Also, as a note to you all, I appologize for not giving specific names/messages of errors I'm getting, I'm not at my normal computer as I write this.

Edited by 2d_Lt_R_D_Dash, January 15 2013 - 06:16 AM.

#13 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted January 15 2013 - 12:47 PM

Try these:

reinstall/update directX 9c

http://www.microsoft...ails.aspx_id=35

reinstall the u3 redistributables

Z:Program Files (x86)MeteorEntertainmentHawkenInstalledHawkenFilesBinariesRedist

where Z is the drive you installed it on.

and installing the UE3Redist.exe

if you have the HAWKEN launcher icon on your desktop:
Right-click and choose "Open File Location."
From here you can delete the HAWKEN.version file.

If you do not have the HAWKEN launcher icon on your desktop, the default path to this file is below.
Start -> Computer -> C drive -> Program Files (x86) -> MeteorEntertainment-> HAWKEN-> InstalledHawkenFiles -> Hawken.version
After you deleting this file, open the launcher and sign in.

This will redownload the entire 2gig pack and extract it, overwriting the files in the main hawken directory.

Edited by SS396, January 15 2013 - 12:50 PM.

#14 machmanx

machmanx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted January 15 2013 - 12:54 PM

There's your problem, you don't have the actual game .exe in the folder because "HawkenGame-Win32-Shipping.exe" was it.  It is the main application file that runs the game.  Without it, you don't have the game.  The actual game is only 32-bit, that's why it's located in that folder.

Yeah, MSE isn't an issue.  You're good there.

I thought you said you tried to install the game to C:/Hawken folder_  That was my first suggestion.  You're gonna have to uninstall the game completely and reinstall into that folder.  The installer and launcher has its issues with quite a few players.  Just try reinstalling a few times (I know, it sucks having to do it over and over again, limit to 5 tries) but eventually that installer should get the game installed.  If not, then you have a bigger problem.

Edited by machmanx, January 15 2013 - 12:55 PM.

#15 MerryAgony

MerryAgony

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  • LocationAt my desk... duh!

Posted January 15 2013 - 01:17 PM

Hi there -
I agree the issue may be with the 32bit install vs 64bit. Check this support article - it calls out where HAWKEN installs. At least this will get you closer:

https://playhawken.z...-hawken-install

I'll check back to see if this helped.

Thx,
Merry

#16 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted January 15 2013 - 01:56 PM

The file "HawkenGame-Win32-Shipping.exe" is not in the same location as the launcher, it is located in

"C:Program Files (x86)MeteorEntertainmentHawkenInstalledHawkenFilesBinariesWin32"

#17 2d_Lt_R_D_Dash

2d_Lt_R_D_Dash

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted January 15 2013 - 03:18 PM

Yeah, It never downloaded the bianaries file for some reason. Here's what I got.

"Program Files (x86) - MeteorEntertainment - Hawken - InstalledHawken Files - Locales - en-US.pak

Under the Hawken folder there is "InstalledHawkenFiles" and Unistall.exe.

Under InstalledHawkenFiles there is the Locales folder, chrome.pak, HawkenLauncher.exe, HawkenLauncher.version, icudt.dll, and libcef.dll.

That is EVERYTHING I have when I installed the game... no idea how re-installing is going to fix this. I also don't know what you mean by "Install in C:/Hawken." You mean install it out of the program files x86 folder_

Edited by 2d_Lt_R_D_Dash, January 15 2013 - 03:21 PM.

#18 2d_Lt_R_D_Dash

2d_Lt_R_D_Dash

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted January 15 2013 - 03:24 PM

View PostMerryAgony, on January 15 2013 - 01:17 PM, said:

Hi there -
I agree the issue may be with the 32bit install vs 64bit. Check this support article - it calls out where HAWKEN installs. At least this will get you closer:

https://playhawken.z...-hawken-install

I'll check back to see if this helped.

Thx,
Merry

And sorry Merry, that didn't help, I already knew that. The issue is that the download file isn't installing the binary folder when you use the install wizard. I don't know how I'm supposed to fix that.

Edited by 2d_Lt_R_D_Dash, January 15 2013 - 04:15 PM.

#19 2d_Lt_R_D_Dash

2d_Lt_R_D_Dash

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted January 15 2013 - 03:45 PM

View Postmachmanx, on January 15 2013 - 12:54 PM, said:

There's your problem, you don't have the actual game .exe in the folder because "HawkenGame-Win32-Shipping.exe" was it.  It is the main application file that runs the game.  Without it, you don't have the game.  The actual game is only 32-bit, that's why it's located in that folder.

Yeah, MSE isn't an issue.  You're good there.

I thought you said you tried to install the game to C:/Hawken folder_  That was my first suggestion.  You're gonna have to uninstall the game completely and reinstall into that folder.  The installer and launcher has its issues with quite a few players.  Just try reinstalling a few times (I know, it sucks having to do it over and over again, limit to 5 tries) but eventually that installer should get the game installed.  If not, then you have a bigger problem.

I tried your re-install suggestion, and nothing different. still no binary files I'm seeing. are you sure those are installed by the installer and not the launcher when you open it_ Cause if its the latter, I can't get those files cause I can't get the launcher open. Also, is there something I'm missing from understanding what a complete unistall is_ Is that not just running the uninstaller and deleting any roaming files_

I think something in the downloader/installer is broken, because I got the same thing everytime I installed it. No binaries, just the same files I posted in my response two posts up.

#20 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted January 15 2013 - 05:32 PM

Your posts have me confused, because the first post says it downloaded the package, so if thats the case then the launcher did execute.  BTW the launcher is the program thats in the middle of the screen, where it allows you to login, and then select LAUNCH.

Did you try my suggestions_

what was the result of:

DirectX 9.0c update_

and

u3redist.exe__

what was the result of this:

1. Create a shortcut of the HawkenLauncher.exe on your desktop

2. Right click on the shortcut and select Properties.
3. In the Target path add /Window so that it falls outside of the quotes (e.g. "C:Program Files (x86)MeteorEntertainmentHawkenInstalledHawkenFilesHawkenLauncher.exe" /Window)
This will launch a separate window which will show a running log as the launcher initializes.
4. Start the Launcher
5. Wait for the Launcher to load up or an issue to occur and then navigate to the window that launched with the HawkenLauncher.
6. In the window, right click and click "Select All"
7. Hit CTRL+C to copy and then past that into a text file to attach to your ticket

32 bit programs run fine in 64 bit operating systems, its the other way around thats impossible.

How much memory does your computer have_
How fast is your internet connection and what type_

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users