HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Launcher wont open

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 2d_Lt_R_D_Dash

2d_Lt_R_D_Dash

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted January 15 2013 - 05:40 PM

View PostSS396, on January 15 2013 - 05:32 PM, said:

Your posts have me confused, because the first post says it downloaded the package, so if thats the case then the launcher did execute.  BTW the launcher is the program thats in the middle of the screen, where it allows you to login, and then select LAUNCH.

Did you try my suggestions_

what was the result of:

DirectX 9.0c update_

and

u3redist.exe__

what was the result of this:

1. Create a shortcut of the HawkenLauncher.exe on your desktop

2. Right click on the shortcut and select Properties.
3. In the Target path add /Window so that it falls outside of the quotes (e.g. "C:Program Files (x86)MeteorEntertainmentHawkenInstalledHawkenFilesHawkenLauncher.exe" /Window)
This will launch a separate window which will show a running log as the launcher initializes.
4. Start the Launcher
5. Wait for the Launcher to load up or an issue to occur and then navigate to the window that launched with the HawkenLauncher.
6. In the window, right click and click "Select All"
7. Hit CTRL+C to copy and then past that into a text file to attach to your ticket

32 bit programs run fine in 64 bit operating systems, its the other way around thats impossible.

How much memory does your computer have_
How fast is your internet connection and what type_

Basically what I'm saying is appearently the installer that I downloaded did not install all the files, because I do not have the file called "Binaries" that are supposedly supposed to be under InstalledHawkenFiles.

Your other suggestions have either already been tried with no change, or cannot be done because the files don't exist. (I.E. the u3redist.exe.)

Thank you for trying to help, but you are suggesting things that were already suggested in my ticket (That has had no activity since friday by the person monitoring it), or as I said, cannot be completed.

I have 4-6GB of DDR3 Ram (can't remember off the top of my head) And a 1TB hard drive.
Internet connection isn't the issue, its a installation issue from the downloader or the installer.

Also, to respond to your post in the other thread (Which I would remove if I knew how) I figured that is what it was, but supposedly I'm supposed to already have the win32.exe file in the Binaries folder. That's the only thing I can think of, because I have exhausted all other explanations for why the launcher wont open. I can't get it to open, so I can't log in, and I can't download the rest of the game.

I apologize if I am repeating things, just trying to explain the issue and I can't really figure out how to word it right to make it easy to understand.

Edited by 2d_Lt_R_D_Dash, January 15 2013 - 06:00 PM.

#22 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted January 15 2013 - 07:14 PM

Ok, some of that helps.  It is difficult, which is why it takes a few posts to gather up the info.

First, the installer does not install all the binaries.  It only installs the launcher and the files needed to run the launcher.  That is why its only 17 mb.  

Then once the launcher is installed, you have to run it, login with it, and then it will check the server and download the rest of the binaries to run the game.  Once these files are downloaded, it will extract them, and then those missing files should be populated.

The directx 9.0c file, is not tied to the hawken files.  it should be downloaded and run before attempting to run hawken first.

Yes, the u3redist.exe file is downloaded once the launcher checks and downloads the entire package.  It is supposed to be installed automaticly when the launcher downloads the package, but sometime people have had to install it manually.

And just for your info, your internet connection is very important, as it is required for the launcher to check and download the required binaries you say you are missing.  If for example you have the launcher blocked, or your router/modem isn't allowing the connection from the launcher to the server repository, then you won't be able to get the files needed.  Which is why I asked.  It could also be that your connection isn't staying stable, and its not downloading the entire 2 gb file or its possible it could be getting corrupted during the download.

So, lets start slowly

1.  Install hawken

2.  Open the launcher:

3.  Does the launcher stay running_  Does it allow you to login_  Click launch.

4.  Did it download the package_  It should say its downloading 2 gigs of info, and show you the time remaining.  then it should say applying patch. ( which is really incorrect as its just extracting the zip file it downloaded).

5.  Then select launch again, and the game should load.

What happens and where in those previous 5 steps.

If it failed downloading the 2g file, you can do this to force it to download it again.

if you have the HAWKEN launcher icon on your desktop:
Right-click and choose "Open File Location."
From here you can delete the HAWKEN.version file.

If you do not have the HAWKEN launcher icon on your desktop, the default path to this file is below.
Start -> Computer -> C drive -> Program Files (x86) -> MeteorEntertainment-> HAWKEN-> InstalledHawkenFiles -> Hawken.version
After you deleting this file, open the launcher and sign in.

This will redownload the entire 2gig pack and extract it, overwriting the files in the main hawken directory.

Good luck.
# while true; do echo "Post"; done

#23 2d_Lt_R_D_Dash

2d_Lt_R_D_Dash

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted January 15 2013 - 08:07 PM

View PostSS396, on January 15 2013 - 07:14 PM, said:

Ok, some of that helps.  It is difficult, which is why it takes a few posts to gather up the info.

First, the installer does not install all the binaries.  It only installs the launcher and the files needed to run the launcher.  That is why its only 17 mb.  

Then once the launcher is installed, you have to run it, login with it, and then it will check the server and download the rest of the binaries to run the game.  Once these files are downloaded, it will extract them, and then those missing files should be populated.

The directx 9.0c file, is not tied to the hawken files.  it should be downloaded and run before attempting to run hawken first.

Yes, the u3redist.exe file is downloaded once the launcher checks and downloads the entire package.  It is supposed to be installed automaticly when the launcher downloads the package, but sometime people have had to install it manually.

And just for your info, your internet connection is very important, as it is required for the launcher to check and download the required binaries you say you are missing.  If for example you have the launcher blocked, or your router/modem isn't allowing the connection from the launcher to the server repository, then you won't be able to get the files needed.  Which is why I asked.  It could also be that your connection isn't staying stable, and its not downloading the entire 2 gb file or its possible it could be getting corrupted during the download.

So, lets start slowly

1.  Install hawken

2.  Open the launcher:

3.  Does the launcher stay running_  Does it allow you to login_  Click launch.

4.  Did it download the package_  It should say its downloading 2 gigs of info, and show you the time remaining.  then it should say applying patch. ( which is really incorrect as its just extracting the zip file it downloaded).

5.  Then select launch again, and the game should load.

What happens and where in those previous 5 steps.

If it failed downloading the 2g file, you can do this to force it to download it again.

if you have the HAWKEN launcher icon on your desktop:
Right-click and choose "Open File Location."
From here you can delete the HAWKEN.version file.

If you do not have the HAWKEN launcher icon on your desktop, the default path to this file is below.
Start -> Computer -> C drive -> Program Files (x86) -> MeteorEntertainment-> HAWKEN-> InstalledHawkenFiles -> Hawken.version
After you deleting this file, open the launcher and sign in.

This will redownload the entire 2gig pack and extract it, overwriting the files in the main hawken directory.

Good luck.

I can't get passed step two in the process you listed. As I said, I can't get the launcher to open so I can have it start downloading the game. I don't get a window, a box, or any sign that it is trying to open when I start the application. I check the task bar after I open it, it shows up in the list of processes for a few moments, then goes away.

I've already tried the "Add /Window to the taskbar in the properties window" Thing, but it crashes before I can copy/paste the text that appears in it. I get the error window that says "Hawken has stopped working" or something like that. I don't know what to do. I've got it set to be allowed through my security, even though it's only MSE...

#24 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted January 15 2013 - 08:24 PM

Ok, now were cooking with peanut oil as Phil from duck dynasty would say.

Were you ever able to run the launcher_

If not:

Sounds to me like you might need to install a visual C++ Redistributable Package (it wouldn't hurt if it isn't needed)

This is for 64-bit which I gathered from one of your earlier posts.

http://www.microsoft...s.aspx_id=14632

Also, check the directory path

Z:UsersUSERNAMEDocumentsMy GamesHawkenHawkenGamelogs

where Z is the drive, and USERNAME is the current username.

and see if there is a log file.  Open it with notepad and paste it.  That might have some helpful infomation at the very end.

#25 2d_Lt_R_D_Dash

2d_Lt_R_D_Dash

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted January 16 2013 - 11:44 AM

View PostSS396, on January 15 2013 - 08:24 PM, said:

Ok, now were cooking with peanut oil as Phil from duck dynasty would say.

Were you ever able to run the launcher_

If not:

Sounds to me like you might need to install a visual C++ Redistributable Package (it wouldn't hurt if it isn't needed)

This is for 64-bit which I gathered from one of your earlier posts.

http://www.microsoft...s.aspx_id=14632

Also, check the directory path

Z:UsersUSERNAMEDocumentsMy GamesHawkenHawkenGamelogs

where Z is the drive, and USERNAME is the current username.

and see if there is a log file.  Open it with notepad and paste it.  That might have some helpful infomation at the very end.

No, I am still unable to get the launcher to open.

Already tried the C++ thing, it's updated. I get the error box "A newer version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable has been detected on this machine"

As for the directory path you gave me, there is no folder for Hawken in my My Games folder.

Edited by 2d_Lt_R_D_Dash, January 16 2013 - 11:49 AM.

#26 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted January 16 2013 - 03:14 PM

Well, I've run out of ideas.  It sucks that you are having this much trouble.

There is obviously something conflicting or blocking it somewhere, as to what it is I don't have an idea without actually sitting at the computer and trying different things.   I guess it would be possible to do some remote assistance so I could actually see whats going on, but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be up for that, which is fine.

While searching I saw this from the earlier beta.

I guess its worth a stab.

http://community.pla...en/#entry125399

The only other thing I can think of is this.

open the start menu, search for "command"  (no quotes)
right click on command problem and select run as administrator.
select yes at the UAC prompt.
cd "Program Files (x86)MeteorEntertainmentHawkenInstalledHawkenFiles"
hawkenlauncher /window

Somehow you've got to figure out whats blocking the launcher and how to get the launcher excluded from whatever is blocking it.

#27 2d_Lt_R_D_Dash

2d_Lt_R_D_Dash

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted January 16 2013 - 04:12 PM

I recently received a response to my ticket from the third guy who's been assigned to help me:

"First, yes the DxDiag came through just fine. Second, thanks for the additional information. We have escalated an issue to our Dev team where it appears that a partial installation of the game files is occurring. Some of the symptoms you identified in your first message indicate that this is the issue and that last bit of information appears to confirm this behavior. I'm going to include your description and information in our internal ticket here.
Thanks for your patience."
So yeah, I... honestly have no idea what any of that means. but appearently it helped them identify the problem... hopefully. Also got this, but it didn't work:
"I was wondering if it would be possible to change your password to a simple alphanumeric combination. Another player was experiencing the same issue and we had them reset their password and it allowed them to fully install the game.
What we need to happen is that you would need to:
1. Uninstall the game.
2. Remove the HAWKEN directory in your DocumentsMy Games folder
3. Remove the MeteorEntertainment directory in C:Program Files (x86)
4. Change password to only alpha and numeric characters:
https://playhawken.z...g-your-password
5. Download the client and install
Attempt to sign in using the new password and to see if the files fully install.
Thank you"

Honestly I'm thinking of just giving up... the game looks cool, but... for all this hassle, unless someone can send me all the actual game files and not just the launcher, i don't think I'm going to be able to play it at this point. I also tried the suggestion you gave, SS, but to no avail. I thought it would work, because I was having a very similar issue, but nope... nothing different happened. Also the /window thing doesn't work because I tried it before. it just opens the box, some text pops up in it, then the box highlights and I get the "Hawken has stopped working" windows error.

Edited by 2d_Lt_R_D_Dash, January 16 2013 - 04:12 PM.

#28 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted January 16 2013 - 04:30 PM

Well,They are asking you to try changing your password to something simpler, ie no crazy characters like !@#$%^&*(), just letters and numbers.

Another idea

Open the task manager and start killing processes one by one, then trying the launcher.  Maybe that will track down the one thats conflicting.

and another one

boot into safe mode with networking. and try it.  That might not load the conflicting program in the first place.

and the final one

I know one way to fix it, wipe and reinstall windoze. :blink:
It could be that the virus you experienced has garbaged some things up, and they were never fixed correctly.   missing dll's etc.

But I'm out of ideas

#29 2d_Lt_R_D_Dash

2d_Lt_R_D_Dash

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted January 16 2013 - 04:34 PM

Yeah, thanks for trying... going to wait for another week, and if it doesn't get fixed by then I'm just going to give up.

#30 machmanx

machmanx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted January 17 2013 - 11:43 AM

Hey SS396, do you think the game files located in C:/Program Files....etc. are the same for everyone_  If that's the case, perhaps one of us can create a .zip archive of that folder and then Dash can simply extract it to his computer_  I wonder if this would work for other players too_ The only file that may need deleting is the Hawken.version file.  Should we try_ :D

Me Built PC | Win 8 Pro | AMD Phenom II X4 B60 | Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 (314.22) | 8GB DDR3
DESKTOP CLEAN Nvidia Driver Install | LAPTOP CLEAN Nvidia Driver Install | PhysX Helpful Info

#31 2d_Lt_R_D_Dash

2d_Lt_R_D_Dash

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted January 17 2013 - 01:47 PM

View Postmachmanx, on January 17 2013 - 11:43 AM, said:

Hey SS396, do you think the game files located in C:/Program Files....etc. are the same for everyone_  If that's the case, perhaps one of us can create a .zip archive of that folder and then Dash can simply extract it to his computer_  I wonder if this would work for other players too_ The only file that may need deleting is the Hawken.version file.  Should we try_ :D

I'll be the guinea pig for that if anyone want's to try.

#32 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted January 17 2013 - 03:34 PM

@machmanx

Well, its really a 2 part question and answer.  The files the hawken installer drops, I would think should be the same for every machine, once the launcher is installed and it downloads the pack, things might be different.  To find out, one would need 2 different computers with different hardware (ATI and nvidia card) to install and compare files.

I'm sure meteor and adhesive would frown upon the idea of sideloading plus it would require a bunch of work from someone in the community.  First they would have to uninstall hawken, then clean out the directories, then install it from the downloader, and then zip up their program filesmeteor directory.  Which should be exactly what the launcher installs.

You'd have to make sure you don't launch the launcher and try to login, because it might remember your username info.

All of those files are supposed to be what the installer installed in the first place so its rather redundant.

If you are talking about zipping up the entire directory after you have downloaded the 2gig pack, I wouldn't recommend that at all, because it will have your login information stored.  Plus you have to find a place on the net to stuff a 2 gig file.

Then you get into the whole trust issue with virus's and such, I mean you are dealing with exe files, and the potential for infection is there.

I'll take some time and test an idea I have,  I'll get just the installer loaded on another computer, and make a directory map, and maybe dash could compare his directory and see if some file or files are missing.

I've cracked open a nullsoft installer before a few years ago, I'll have to remember what I used and how I did it.  At least that should be able to get the files extacted that he might need.

#33 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted January 17 2013 - 04:43 PM

Ok, going to an old machine and starting fresh, this is all the installer seems to install.  Mot much at all.

Directory of F:HawkenInstalledHawkenFiles

01/17/2013  04:56 PM    <DIR>          .
01/17/2013  04:56 PM    <DIR>          ..
12/20/2012  12:54 PM         2,565,109 chrome.pak
12/20/2012  12:54 PM         3,393,848 HawkenLauncher.exe
12/11/2012  09:43 PM             9,648 HawkenLauncher.version
12/20/2012  12:54 PM         9,956,864 icudt.dll
12/20/2012  12:54 PM        20,452,352 libcef.dll
01/17/2013  04:56 PM    <DIR>          locales
               5 File(s)     36,377,821 bytes

Directory of F:HawkenInstalledHawkenFileslocales

01/17/2013  04:56 PM    <DIR>          .
01/17/2013  04:56 PM    <DIR>          ..
12/20/2012  12:54 PM             2,094 en-US.pak
               1 File(s)          2,094 bytes

Total Files Listed:
               7 File(s)     37,072,793 bytes
               8 Dir(s)  72,591,994,880 bytes free

F:Hawken>

No other files seem to be deposited in the my documents area, which must happen after it downloads the 2 gig pack.

One interesting note, is when I started the launcher, I got a white screen, and then it exited.  :o   I thought I was on to something, but then on the next try, it loaded correctly.   :(

One of the things that has me wondering is what the chrome.pak is, I think it might be a mini framework chrome browser for the installer.

Dash, do you have google chrome installed__  if not, can you download and install chrome, and then try the launcher.  Maybe the chrome.pak needs something, both of the machines I used have chrome installed.

#34 machmanx

machmanx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted January 17 2013 - 10:47 PM

Hmmm, perhaps I could try this too.  I have an AMD CPU - Nvidia GPU PC (My primary machine), an Intel CPU - Nvidia GPU PC, and an AMD CPU - AMD GPU PC.  It would take some time for me to setup, especially on the third computer, but yes I can probably do it.  If there are no differences then it can be done.  As for hosting, I'll just get a free host and give him FTP download access.  Or WinRar can break rars or zips into multiple files, and host it on 4shared or something...either way.

My idea was that I'd let him use his installer to install the basic files, which should take care of the registry and other Windows related stuff, and I'd zip up the rest of the required files.  Though I do see your concern about username, but that can be taken care of ;)  As for virus issues, well, I can say that my machine is virus free.  After that, it comes down to user trust, or more to the point, how badly the player wants to play the game and if he/she is willing to take the risk.  Though I'm sure the player has some kind of antivirus installed that should detect such problems.

Well, I'm gonna try and get back to you.  Though all this would be simpler if Meteor could simply release full download packages.

Me Built PC | Win 8 Pro | AMD Phenom II X4 B60 | Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 (314.22) | 8GB DDR3
DESKTOP CLEAN Nvidia Driver Install | LAPTOP CLEAN Nvidia Driver Install | PhysX Helpful Info

#35 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted January 17 2013 - 11:23 PM

@machmanx

Well, I'm going to gracefully bow out on all of that.  It would take way too much effort on my part.  As for virus's there are virus's that anti virus databases don't know about yet, so, if you are infected with something new, and don't know it, then you will be spreading it.  I know I'm just playing devils advocate, but as a programmer, its not hard to write a new virus and stick it into a payload.  

Ok, now heres something that you can do, if you are fast enough, when you run the launcher and sign in and it starts its download, when its applying the patch, you can look in the hawken directory for the temporary directory it creates and there will be two zip files, if you copy those out before it finishes "applying the patch" you will have the download package.  I do not know if it is password protected or not, my guess is it isn't.

This still won't help dash, as he can't even get the launcher open for whatever reason.  If he has the same files and file sizes as what I posted, then theres got to be something on his machine thats blocking it.

I do know that when the launcher starts it opens a webserver on 127.0.0.1 (the loopback) and somehow that and the download server start communications.  It looks like it uses torrents but I'm unsure of how it does what it does after that point.

Have fun.

#36 2d_Lt_R_D_Dash

2d_Lt_R_D_Dash

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted January 18 2013 - 03:10 PM

Well thanks for trying guys. I'm giving up on it at this point. Haven't heard a response from the ticket sense the last response I posted, and it doesn't seem like it's goin to get fixed seeing as I'm one of the few people having this issue.

I give up. I thanked the people who tried to help me on the ticket, and I thank you guys for all the effort you put into trying to help me. I'm just not destined to play this game I suppose.

Edited by 2d_Lt_R_D_Dash, January 18 2013 - 03:18 PM.

#37 machmanx

machmanx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted January 18 2013 - 04:03 PM

*sigh* SS396 has a point...you can't even get the launcher to open, which would make my work pointless...forgot about that part :( .  Yeah, it sucks, especially when you have such nice specs.

Here's a simple thing to try, hehe...rename HawkenLauncher.exe to iexplore.exe and see if it executes.  I've known certain viruses to prevent execution of certain exe files and the way around it was to rename the file to the above.

Edited by machmanx, January 18 2013 - 04:03 PM.

#38 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted January 18 2013 - 04:10 PM

I'd like to know if he booted in safe mode with networking and tried to open the launcher and what happened.

#39 TerraOmega

TerraOmega

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted January 19 2013 - 09:12 AM

I'm now having the exact problem, I have re installed the game a few times and still it does not open. It just loads for a few seconds then gives up. I checked the task manager and it is running in processes for a couple of minutes then it disappears. Really want to play this game unfortunately.

#40 2d_Lt_R_D_Dash

2d_Lt_R_D_Dash

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted January 19 2013 - 07:50 PM

View PostSS396, on January 18 2013 - 04:10 PM, said:

I'd like to know if he booted in safe mode with networking and tried to open the launcher and what happened.

SS, I appreciated the idea, but here's my thinking on it. If an application requires me to have to go into safe mode to get it running, then there is obviously something wrong with it. I think the fact that you should even have to suggest that as an option is a problem. so no, I didn't attempt it because frankly I shouldn't have to. It shouldn't need to be that difficult to get a program to run. Anyway, the person who was supporting me said the issue had been escilated to the dev team and he is pretty sure its something that is out of my control. and now that TerraOmega is having the same issue, I know it's not just me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users