HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

[Poll] Awesome textures in hawken. [Must see]

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

Poll: Should MTR/ADH allow the players to choose between "basic" textures vs "fancy" textures_ (89 member(s) have cast votes)

Should MTR/ADH allow the players to choose between "basic" textures vs "fancy" textures_

1. Yes. (43 votes [48.31%])

Percentage of vote: 48.31%

2. No. (22 votes [24.72%])

Percentage of vote: 24.72%

3. Deck the halls with Persian carpets. (24 votes [26.97%])

Percentage of vote: 26.97%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 h0B0

h0B0

Non Sequitur Leprechaun

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,143 posts
  • Location[delete for trolling] --defter

Posted January 16 2013 - 07:07 PM

We know you can do it. Here's proof.
Does the community want these textures_
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Yes or No_
discuss.

Click me! I dare you.

Posted Image

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on March 15 2013 - 08:35 PM, said:

Oh don't always listen to h0B0. Lol.

#2 _Hex_

_Hex_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted January 16 2013 - 07:09 PM

It'd be interesting & simplistic :D

Lack of textures FTW!

View PostLeonhardt, on April 30 2013 - 04:00 AM, said:

alt+F4 fixes this. Reinstall and as soon as you see it quickly hit alt+F4. If the game crashes restart and try again until its fixed.

#3 Fields

Fields

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted January 16 2013 - 07:12 PM

My laptop can barely run the game with medium textures. Cutting them down to a minimalistic texture quality would only make it play better :)
Plus, I really like this sort of design. It's what made the orange maps in TF2 and CS so fun for me.

#4 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • LocationCastle Rock, CO

Posted January 16 2013 - 07:28 PM

But I do like the minimalism textures. Wish they could release these with a story being these are Simulator maps as if you were playing in a training simulator.

Edited by Cpt_Kill_Jack, January 16 2013 - 07:30 PM.

#5 ApoC_101

ApoC_101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 430 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted January 16 2013 - 07:33 PM

I like the part with the boxes.
Posted Image

#6 FenixStryk

FenixStryk

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • LocationUS-East

Posted January 16 2013 - 07:41 PM

I would prefer this mode since it allows lower-end rigs to run the game at 60+ FPS, but: if this mode is given to us for all maps, the entire competitive scene will effectively be required to play using Untextured Mode. Removing textures is inherently advantageous; it makes enemies easier to see due to its monochromatic nature, removes a lot of map clutter and makes corners much easier to pinpoint.

For this reason only, I am against it as an option; I am, however, 100% for intentionally untextured "Virtual Reality Training Simulator" maps.

It was fun while it lasted.

#7 Decoy101x

Decoy101x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • LocationPlainfield, Illinois

Posted January 16 2013 - 07:45 PM

is that an a class with 595 hp_ DO WANT
Crackin' eggs like we crack smoke. Smoke crack_ No! That's bad!

Posted Image

#8 h0B0

h0B0

Non Sequitur Leprechaun

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,143 posts

Posted January 16 2013 - 08:00 PM

View PostDecoy101x, on January 16 2013 - 07:45 PM, said:

is that an a class with 595 hp_ DO WANT
i miss my 625 zerker.

But on topic this is from the current build of the game.

Click me! I dare you.

Posted Image

#9 Wasabi_Wei

Wasabi_Wei

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 942 posts
  • LocationMadison, Wisconsin, USA, Earth

Posted January 16 2013 - 08:11 PM

I feel that something that can be done on the user end might as well be embraced officially. I suspect it is not easy to police outside of tournaments with spectator mode. I think enabling the choice would be the most elegant solution if it is well implemented. It showcases the excellent map design to boot!
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world. - Grateful Dead lyric, but really true.

Just Saying: "If an officer of the law expects to be treated as such, then they had better act as one and uphold our laws and Rights in the pursuit of Justice."

#10 Tomino_sama

Tomino_sama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted January 16 2013 - 08:11 PM

might make more people able to run the game. I really like the detail though.
Posted Image

www.amegakure.co.uk

[HWK]SUPPPORT_ARE_TROOPS! said:

Remember any time spent redoing things is time not spent adding new things.

#11 Ashfire908

Ashfire908

The First Ninja

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted January 16 2013 - 08:13 PM

Dat grid.

So do maps get done faster if the devs start releasing all the maps in greybox form_ ;)
Developer of ScrimBot and the canceled Hawken leaderboards
Come join the Hawken IRC Channel and chat about Hawken: #hawkenscrim on irc.quakenet.net
Yes, I am a wizard - There is no cupcake conspiracy
[03:18:55 pm] <-- ^-^ (webchat@[ip removed]) has quit (Quit: Later All! Also pls ban Kindos7)

#12 Aims

Aims

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted January 16 2013 - 08:18 PM

The game looks fantastic as is and the feel of the maps (Prosk is the most obvious example) really adds to the character of the game. I know clutter is a big issue in competitive games and it does get extremely irritating, however I think the maps in Hawken are pretty well done for the most part in regards to combining sexy and immersive visuals with good gameplay. Obviously there are a few things which stand out that NEED to be fixed but I'm sure they will be.

Giving the option to turn everything off would give such an advantage that it would force anyone trying to be competitive to use it. I would greatly prefer the excellent textures that currently exist with fixes; something along the lines of no collision with textures that aren't major obstacles in conjunction with some of the other fixes which we all know need to occur.

#13 h0B0

h0B0

Non Sequitur Leprechaun

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,143 posts

Posted January 16 2013 - 08:24 PM

View PostAims, on January 16 2013 - 08:18 PM, said:

The game looks fantastic as is and the feel of the maps (Prosk is the most obvious example) really adds to the character of the game. I know clutter is a big issue in competitive games and it does get extremely irritating, however I think the maps in Hawken are pretty well done for the most part in regards to combining sexy and immersive visuals with good gameplay. Obviously there are a few things which stand out that NEED to be fixed but I'm sure they will be.

Giving the option to turn everything off would give such an advantage that it would force anyone trying to be competitive to use it. I would greatly prefer the excellent textures that currently exist with fixes; something along the lines of no collision with textures that aren't major obstacles in conjunction with some of the other fixes which we all know need to occur.
Texture == geometry.
Textures should not affect gameplay and as far as i know they do not. Poor ap making and geometry affect gameplay and this is a known issue in hawken.

Furthermore NDA prevents alpha people from commenting on how much they enjoyed valkiry even considering its grid like textures, this was due to less geometry bunnying up your gameplay as well as map balance ( hope i wont get flak from the devs for breaking the nda)

Edited by h0B0, January 16 2013 - 08:24 PM.

Click me! I dare you.

Posted Image

#14 h0B0

h0B0

Non Sequitur Leprechaun

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,143 posts

Posted January 16 2013 - 08:26 PM

View PostAshfire908, on January 16 2013 - 08:13 PM, said:

Dat grid.

So do maps get done faster if the devs start releasing all the maps in greybox form_ ;)

Probably. I am not aware of the development process but considering textures like this are easier to skin i would say yes.

Click me! I dare you.

Posted Image

#15 h0B0

h0B0

Non Sequitur Leprechaun

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,143 posts

Posted January 16 2013 - 08:28 PM

View Postwingding, on January 16 2013 - 08:12 PM, said:

most braindead community ever going by the poll results.
Please refrain yourself from trolling my topic.
If you only have insulting comments go post them somewhere else please and thank you.

Click me! I dare you.

Posted Image

#16 Aims

Aims

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted January 16 2013 - 08:37 PM

View Posth0B0, on January 16 2013 - 08:24 PM, said:

View PostAims, on January 16 2013 - 08:18 PM, said:

Texture == geometry.
Textures should not affect gameplay and as far as i know they do not. Poor ap making and geometry affect gameplay and this is a known issue in hawken.

Furthermore NDA prevents alpha people from commenting on how much they enjoyed valkiry even considering its grid like textures, this was due to less geometry bunnying up your gameplay as well as map balance ( hope i wont get flak from the devs for breaking the nda)

Thanks for pointing that out, however my point still stands. I would prefer they FIXED the issues with the geometry rather than removing them altogether. It seems like the logical thing to do.

Sorry I know my use of terminology is probably still incorrect, but hopefully you get my point.

Edited by Aims, January 16 2013 - 08:45 PM.

#17 Commy1

Commy1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts
  • LocationGuelph, ON

Posted January 16 2013 - 08:56 PM

I loved that map in Alpha...

#18 The_Eldritch_Abomination

The_Eldritch_Abomination

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDATA REDACTED

Posted January 16 2013 - 09:28 PM

All, the "Valkyrie" map. I remember those beautiful white and red placeholder textures. Once this map is re released with "proper" textures, it just won't be the same...

PS: In case anyone is worried I'm breaking the NDA, the files are still in the game and this was discussed in another thread.
< TEXT-FIELD >

#19 Cpt_Kill_Jack

Cpt_Kill_Jack

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,651 posts
  • LocationCastle Rock, CO

Posted January 16 2013 - 09:46 PM

View PostThe_Eldritch_Abomination, on January 16 2013 - 09:28 PM, said:

All, the "Valkyrie" map. I remember those beautiful white and red placeholder textures. Once this map is re released with "proper" textures, it just won't be the same...

PS: In case anyone is worried I'm breaking the NDA, the files are still in the game and this was discussed in another thread.

We didnt go this deep in that other thread.

#20 marshalade

marshalade

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 946 posts
  • LocationGasland, Pa, USA

Posted January 16 2013 - 10:39 PM

No, players should not be able to choose whether textures are displayed or not. This would allow a sizable advantage to anyone who turned them off.

That said, I think we should either have textureless maps in rotation or servers with textureless maps.

Posted Image
A tidal wave of marshalade...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users