HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Use of a Controller_

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
86 replies to this topic

#41 Vilyria

Vilyria

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted September 18 2012 - 09:55 AM

View PostJdisco, on September 18 2012 - 09:33 AM, said:

View PostAnthony817, on September 06 2012 - 12:05 PM, said:

Well I got this bad boy here and I need to give it a work out...

Posted Image

Every since I seen this back in the day I dreamed of using an expencive joystick for a mech game.

Posted Image

Dude Steel Battalion is hard AF. I kind of want to cut the cable and make it USB, but idk if I can just destroy a piece of history like that.

I would never do such thing to mine!
I'll get the official controller instead!

Posted Image

Posted Image

My blog-> MELODIC-MISSILES

#42 Sprayed

Sprayed

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 110 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Canada

Posted September 18 2012 - 10:10 AM

Just wanted to say that using controllers and joysticks, however fun they may be, put you at a disadvantage against your opponents right from the start

Pew Pew Pew

#43 FatNinjaWalrus

FatNinjaWalrus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Locationbehind slenderman

Posted September 18 2012 - 10:17 AM

Posted Image

daaaaaaamn that thing is smexy. i'm not going to use a regular controller for this game, cause mouse is more accurate, but i would certainly try that thing if i had enough cash. even if it was harder to control, it would probably be awesome just for the feel
Posted Image

#44 phalkon13

phalkon13

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted September 18 2012 - 12:37 PM

View PostNot_Hunter, on September 09 2012 - 10:09 AM, said:

I personally wouldn't mind much if pads weren't supported. I don't mind learning mouse/keyboard controls, so the only real problem would be everyone else being so good that I never get a chance to catch up, but that's kinda unlikely.

Xbox controllers would just make the transition easier, but my personal dream is that I can somehow use a PS3 controller. I LOVE THOSE THINGS.  If not, I have an adapter for PS2 controllers, so that would work too.
If it has XBox360 controller support, you can remap any Xbox360 controller feature to anything else that's supported in Windows, via thsi emulator: http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/
I use it for my Logitech Rumblepad 2, and it works pretty flawlessly for most games.  There's docs on most pages, but you usually just download the executable (if this one doesn't work, I'd say look online for different versions), and usually you just have to run it in the binary directory of the game installed.
As for the PS3 drivers, as long as you have Bluetooth enabled on your PC, there's various drivers and setups out there, but from what I've read, MotioninJoy seems to be the tried-and-tested way to get your PS3 controller working.  Here's a walkthrough I found online:
http://www.hardcorew...indows-7-vista/

#45 Anthony817

Anthony817

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted September 18 2012 - 11:27 PM

View PostFatNinjaWalrus, on September 18 2012 - 10:17 AM, said:

Posted Image

daaaaaaamn that thing is smexy. i'm not going to use a regular controller for this game, cause mouse is more accurate, but i would certainly try that thing if i had enough cash. even if it was harder to control, it would probably be awesome just for the feel

View PostLogic, on September 13 2012 - 11:04 PM, said:

to Anthony817 pictures of the joysticks

Ya that looks amazing that gets major immersion points probably feel like you where piloting a mobile suit.

Yeah thanks man, these Saitek X52 Joysticks retail for $150, and are getting quite hard to find now that they are kinda old, since they came out back in 2004, but you can't beat quality. I got SO lucky and snatched mine new in box sealed for $85 on Amazon, and man was it one hell of a deal. Saitek builds industrial joysticks for heavy machinery, so it feels GREAT and the ergonomics are perfectly shaped.

I only had them about 5 months, and they are really great for flying on BF3. I can only imagine how awesome it will be playing this game and MWO with these puppies. :D

Edited by Anthony817, September 18 2012 - 11:30 PM.

#46 ModnarSarhp

ModnarSarhp

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts
  • LocationImperial Beach, CA

Posted September 18 2012 - 11:32 PM

Making me all jealous and stuff, guys. I know for a fact that I'll be using mouse and keyboard, but the option for a controller is always great, too. I know that sometimes I don't feel like hunching over a keyboard and much rather prefer to relax with a 360 controller or something.

Be sure to click on the emblem below to visit our forums!

Posted Image

One of the five elements that build the Earth, o great creator of flames. The light of salvation that gives birth to life, the light of judgment that punishes evildoers. While bringing peace and stability at the same time, it also destroys the cold and dark misfortune. Fire is the name, sword is the title! Show yourself, swallow thyself, turn it into power!

#47 Pyrocumulus

Pyrocumulus

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted September 18 2012 - 11:48 PM

ITT Mouse and Keyboard elitists prove that they're the worst type of gamer. Again.

RE: Motioninjoy

If I remember correctly, Motioninjoy will already emulate a 360 controller using your PS3 controller. So if you're using that, you shouldn't need the other emulator.

I used to use it to play Fallout 3.

#48 Not_Hunter

Not_Hunter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted September 19 2012 - 06:14 AM

View Postphalkon13, on September 18 2012 - 12:37 PM, said:

I personally wouldn't mind much if pads weren't supported. I don't mind learning mouse/keyboard controls, so the only real problem would be everyone else being so good that I never get a chance to catch up, but that's kinda unlikely.

Xbox controllers would just make the transition easier, but my personal dream is that I can somehow use a PS3 controller. I LOVE THOSE THINGS.  If not, I have an adapter for PS2 controllers, so that would work too.
If it has XBox360 controller support, you can remap any Xbox360 controller feature to anything else that's supported in Windows, via thsi emulator: http://code.google.com/p/x360ce/
I use it for my Logitech Rumblepad 2, and it works pretty flawlessly for most games.  There's docs on most pages, but you usually just download the executable (if this one doesn't work, I'd say look online for different versions), and usually you just have to run it in the binary directory of the game installed.
As for the PS3 drivers, as long as you have Bluetooth enabled on your PC, there's various drivers and setups out there, but from what I've read, MotioninJoy seems to be the tried-and-tested way to get your PS3 controller working.  Here's a walkthrough I found online:
http://www.hardcorew...indows-7-vista/

I appreciate the thought, but I kinda doubt most of this would work on a Mac. Or is it the same, I don't know_

View PostMechMechanic, on September 18 2012 - 05:30 AM, said:

" skatcat31

In testing the only thing that a keyboard and mouse allowed better than an analog stick, was 180 and 360 degree turns. Otherwise they perform at almost identical levels. On top of that, I know a Halo player who kicks fuzzy bunny on PC games with a controller, but fails with a keyboard and mouse. It's ONLY about personal preference."

You obviously have no clue about PC gaming, and how it works.  

Keyboard and mouse is more precise and responsive. You have more buttons and you can switch to joysticks for PC. The options for old controllers seems to be a sweet invitation to these console peasants and their peasantry. I don't have any problem with that. However mouse and keyboard is way superior in responsive times, combinations and practicality. Aiming and sensitivity is not the same with an analog stick. It will never be the same.

It's not a fair match between someone with analog sticks and someone with keyboard and mouse. The disadvantage is too much. The keyboard/mouse is way superior...

No one on here is saying that pads are better. Some of us just prefer them. If someone on a pad gets destroyed repeatedly, but doesn't like mouse and keyboard, then they're free to get destroyed as much as they like. If they enjoy mouse and keyboard and are more comfortable playing with that, then they should also be free to choose that. Whether a choice is inferior or not doesn't determine whether it should be available, the point is to draw in more people, as this is a free to play game. Or, if you choose, they could offer the option of splitting the pad crowd and the keyboard crowd by forcing them to play with only others of the same control scheme, therefore cutting all advantages and disadvantages relating to control scheme. However, this is unlikely, and xbox/ps3 auto-aim style buffers seem more likely in my opinion.
Console Contact info
PSN: Troidhunter13 / Not-Hunter
Xbox: Troidhunter

Play Amored Core V_ Join Dragon Guard 514 and get 3,000,000 Au just for signing up!

#49 Ezio

Ezio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • LocationFlorentine

Posted September 19 2012 - 06:27 AM

I'll be using a mouse and keyboard. It's ironic that that's all the animus has...
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." Voltaire

#50 MechMechanic

MechMechanic

(MechMechanic)

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted September 19 2012 - 06:36 AM

'Pyrocumulus'
ITT Mouse and Keyboard elitists prove that they're the worst type of gamer. Again.

Personally, I don't need to act like a clueless ITT plebeian and butthurt console peasant about such differences. I don't feel that way. I know why there are preferences over one medium over the other. These preferences are based on facts and performances. It's an unfair match to compare keyboard and mouse plus a dedicated joystick in comparison to crappy controllers. There are reasons why users prefer keyboard/muse over the generic analog stick. The reason is quite simple, the level of precision, control and multi tasking features can be easily done on a keyboard mouse and hybrids like the one shown here.  Multi tasking is required for optimum game play. You can't achieve that with last generation controllers.

Edited by MechMechanic, September 19 2012 - 06:41 AM.

#51 Siris

Siris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted September 19 2012 - 06:37 AM

Did this seriously go from choice of controller to an all out "my controller kicks your controller's fuzzy bunny" thread_

#52 Ezio

Ezio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • LocationFlorentine

Posted September 19 2012 - 06:38 AM

Just wondering, are swear words changed to fuzzy bunny_
fuzzy bunny.

Wow.

Edited by Ezio, September 19 2012 - 06:38 AM.

"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." Voltaire

#53 Siris

Siris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted September 19 2012 - 06:43 AM

View PostEzio, on September 19 2012 - 06:38 AM, said:

fuzzy bunny.

Wow.
off topic, but it's because this website is for 13+

#54 Vilyria

Vilyria

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted September 19 2012 - 06:55 AM

Everyone on their own style...  ^.^
Since Battalion I really noticed that it's so much more fun to play with epic big-fuzzy bunny controller!

Posted Image

My blog-> MELODIC-MISSILES

#55 MechMechanic

MechMechanic

(MechMechanic)

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted September 19 2012 - 06:57 AM

View PostVigilante, on September 19 2012 - 06:37 AM, said:

Did this seriously go from choice of controller to an all out "my controller kicks your controller's fuzzy bunny" thread_

Well I do like fuzzy bunnies for breakfast...^^.

Besides, the Razer mouse and keyboard are a great selection for a modicum price. Razer mouses are very sensitive and responsive. they have a high dpi.

#56 Siris

Siris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted September 19 2012 - 07:03 AM

View PostMechMechanic, on September 19 2012 - 06:57 AM, said:

View PostVigilante, on September 19 2012 - 06:37 AM, said:

Well I do like fuzzy bunnies for breakfast...^^.

Besides, the Razer mouse and keyboard are a great selection for a modicum price. Razer mouses are very sensitive and responsive. they have a high dpi.

xD
I use the cyborg, personally. It's just more comfortable for me.

#57 Deathz

Deathz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted September 19 2012 - 07:15 AM

I hope it will support gamepads/joysticks etc :D

#58 MechMechanic

MechMechanic

(MechMechanic)

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted September 19 2012 - 07:19 AM

Unreal engine supports a large set of peripherals. Controls, joysticks, analogs and dedicated joysticks are included. However mouse/dedicated joystick/keyboard are the choice for this game.

360 and PS3 game pads are for casuals....

#59 Novel89

Novel89

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted September 19 2012 - 07:42 AM

I agree as far as learning mouse/keyboard controls. I am new to computer games, well at least non rpg or stragety games. I need to get used to a pfs computer game and I think this would be a great chance for me. lol I would also love using a PS3 controller since I have been a Playstation user since the PS1 :)

#60 Ezio

Ezio

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • LocationFlorentine

Posted September 19 2012 - 07:55 AM

View PostVigilante, on September 19 2012 - 06:43 AM, said:

View PostEzio, on September 19 2012 - 06:38 AM, said:

fuzzy bunny.

Wow.
off topic, but it's because this website is for 13+
Go on xbox live see how 12 year old talk 0.0

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users