HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

"Good Game", a.k.a "GeeGee" or simply "GG"

• Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

#21 Neverm0re

Neverm0re

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted February 11 2013 - 05:44 AM

I agree with OP on this one, GG seems really condescending coming from a team that just spanked you 10-70 or some ridiculous number like that.

No, it wasn't a good game. Say something else that doesn't make it sound like you are being condescending, or don't say anything at all. Yes, we are taught in children's sports to say "Good game" after every match, but we aren't children, we are adults who can think for ourselves and can be a bit more descriptive than "Good game".

If it was a good game, then say so. If it wasn't, then say something else if you must say something.
Posted Image

#22 Agile

Agile

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted February 11 2013 - 05:53 AM

View PostNeverm0re, on February 11 2013 - 05:44 AM, said:

...Yes, we are taught in children's sports to say "Good game" after every match...

Well, if you guys are being teached to say "good game" afterwards that explains alot to me. I was being teached to say "thank you for the game", and i was also teached that saying "good game", when it was not, is rude or impolite (here it means rubbing it in if it wasnt a good game). Different ways to go around i guess... Cultural differences so it seems.

Edited by Agile, February 11 2013 - 05:54 AM.

#23 G4M5T3R

G4M5T3R

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted February 11 2013 - 05:55 AM

I say GG at the end of every match, good or bad. It's become habit out of good sportsmanship.
I remember in school after playing any sport you would walk past your opponents shaking hands saying gg no matter how stomped either team was. I don't see why this should be any different. Other than I can't shake your hand.

If you take it personally is not my problem.
Posted Image
                                                                                                 Gamester (n.) : One who plays games, especially a gambler.
                                                                                                                     BSB - http://bsb-gaming.com/

#24 Agile

Agile

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted February 11 2013 - 06:03 AM

Apparently my "good game" doesnt mean the same thing as your "good game". Now that i know that, it shoudlnt be a problem.

Edited by Agile, February 11 2013 - 06:04 AM.

#25 Zeshi

Zeshi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 605 posts

Posted February 11 2013 - 07:16 AM

When it comes to being on the winning team in a stomp, i typically wait until someone on the opposing team says gg before i say it (if it i say it at all). Something about saying gg first when you win just rubs me the wrong way.
Posted Image

#26 Gree

Gree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted February 11 2013 - 07:20 AM

"Good Games" are becoming rarer and rarer. Last friday I had a good siege match and a balanced TDM, that's all. I played over 20 matches.

Edited by Gree, February 11 2013 - 07:20 AM.

#27 idolische

idolische

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted February 11 2013 - 07:21 AM

If the game wasn't equal and challenging I don't say gg. I say gg though in regular FFA DM even if there was a lot of new players to stomp, but there were some good players to duel with and there were challenging fun fights.

#28 Bea5t

Bea5t

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationCologne, Germany

Posted February 11 2013 - 07:30 AM

gg after a 6vs4 stomp_ No sir, it was not! And you could have balanced it, so fuzz off and don't tell me about sportsmanship

Edited by Bea5t, February 11 2013 - 07:32 AM.

#29 LunaticCalm

LunaticCalm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted February 11 2013 - 07:31 AM

Non-roflstomp games get a gg. Actually good games get a gg wp.

#30 deidarall

deidarall

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted February 11 2013 - 07:40 AM

I just say GG cause I just think it is like a thank you for playing...I came from Total war where people could just drop the game and you would get no exp or clan tockens (Think Hawken creds) So the fact that they actually played the game whether they won or lost was honorable and should be acknowledged.
May the unskilled become the most skilled. May the skilled remain the most skilled. Let the newest players have the most fun, and the most skilled have none. Let the skilled have fun, while the new have none. The unskilled maybe the most skilled if you let them be. The skilled may be the most killed if the world allows that. RAISINS!

Posted Image

#31 Agile

Agile

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted February 11 2013 - 07:44 AM

View PostZeshi, on February 11 2013 - 07:16 AM, said:

When it comes to being on the winning team in a stomp, i typically wait until someone on the opposing team says gg before i say it (if it i say it at all). Something about saying gg first when you win just rubs me the wrong way.

Sounds like a true gentleman, i tip my hat off to you sir.

#32 ShadowGTR

ShadowGTR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted February 11 2013 - 08:04 AM

I use GG when a match was close, win or lose. Especially if it was an epic duel, where both sides brought their 'A' game.

Posted Image

#33 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted February 11 2013 - 08:25 AM

After stomping people I say GG to those who stayed and tried.

Would you prefer I said "YOU GOT POWNED NOOBS!"_  

It's just good sportsmanship...  What do you think happens irl when one team clearly stomps another_  The good sports say GG.

IMO, it's condescending to not say anything after winning a stomp. You're essentially saying that the other team is so bad, they're not even worth talking to.

If someone takes offense to having a winner say GG after a stomp, then they're just being a bad sport themselves.

Edited by RedVan, February 11 2013 - 08:28 AM.

#34 Keiichi81

Keiichi81

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted February 11 2013 - 08:40 AM

I say "Good Game" when it was actually, you know, a good game. Which means both sides played well, the match was challenging and above all everyone had fun. When my team stomps a group of rookies 3000:0 in Siege or goes 54:3 in a game of TDM, I don't say "Good Game" because that isn't a good game. That's basically saying "Hey, thanks. I had fun beating the sh-t out of you." It comes off as rather condescending and insulting, and we should all know because I would assume that most of us have been on the other side of that at one time or another.

In those situations, I'll usually say something like "Good try" or "Better luck next round, guys."

Edited by Keiichi81, February 11 2013 - 08:43 AM.

#35 Foggy

Foggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted February 11 2013 - 08:44 AM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on February 11 2013 - 04:45 AM, said:

In childrens' sports, they are taught to shake hands and be courteous after a game, no matter what side of the outcome they were on. You also see this with professional athletes, with some sharing a hug, a kind word, or even sincere condolences.

This.  I say GG after most matches, regardless of who got their fuzzy lagomorph handed to them.  And it probably stems from sports involvement, in hockey we line up after the match, shake hands and say "Good game" as a sign of respect for the opponent regardless of how the match turned out...

Edited by Foggy, February 11 2013 - 08:48 AM.

#36 ma1achai

ma1achai

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted February 11 2013 - 08:48 AM

I tend to just assume someone is being sincere and thanking everyone (his own teammates and the other team) for playing... unless they add something to indicate otherwise.  Not sure why you would want to assume otherwise, unless you just want to be one of the pissy gamers that you think they are being.

#37 Hilljack

Hilljack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationVirginia, US

Posted February 11 2013 - 08:51 AM

Posted Image
PSA: Follow the white arrow, not the red dot.

#38 ma1achai

ma1achai

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted February 11 2013 - 08:51 AM

View PostKeiichi81, on February 11 2013 - 08:40 AM, said:

I say "Good Game" when it was actually, you know, a good game. Which means both sides played well, the match was challenging and above all everyone had fun. When my team stomps a group of rookies 3000:0 in Siege or goes 54:3 in a game of TDM, I don't say "Good Game" because that isn't a good game. That's basically saying "Hey, thanks. I had fun beating the sh-t out of you." It comes off as rather condescending and insulting, and we should all know because I would assume that most of us have been on the other side of that at one time or another.

In those situations, I'll usually say something like "Good try" or "Better luck next round, guys."

wow... that sounds way more condescending to me.

#39 Tomino_sama

Tomino_sama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted February 11 2013 - 08:53 AM

I agree with AJK on this one!

Ever Since before Doom and Quake, GG has meant "i enjoyed the game" hence, Good Game.

As he put it if you feel that GG is meant sarcastically, that is your interpretation and is borderline paranoia. Granted if GG is followed up with QQ that mean this Pilot is a Sore Loser

Sore Losers are often Young, Inexperienced or just plain new to gaming.

I use the Mute and/or target him in the next round :D

Mostly though I play for the Game not the score so If I think that the game was good you will see GG regardless of if I get 12/3 or 3/12.

I like to contratulate players announcing they ranked up, or impressive K/D's
I find that people are more invested in the Round, play better and stay in for more games, often they will switch to your team in following games if you are not a fuzzy bunny about losing :D

To the OP I see what your saying, but unless it blatant smacktalk, please assume that Pilots genuinely mean it positively. I see it as a handshake of sorts.
Posted Image

www.amegakure.co.uk

[HWK]SUPPPORT_ARE_TROOPS! said:

Remember any time spent redoing things is time not spent adding new things.

#40 Agile

Agile

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted February 11 2013 - 08:54 AM

I dont mind a "virtual" handshake at all, on the countrary i prefer to treat each other with respect. That's why i most often thank everybody for the games we played, and i will let the other team know that they fiought well or the game was close. Also i let know when it was ballanced, heck i propably already switched to the other team to help em out.

But if a team gets stomped by the other a "good game" sounds misplaced. Most likely (as i now know) it was not the intention to be misplaced or for some people it is a way of showing some form of respect. I think in these cases words can be better chosen to let the other know you want to thank them or show respect, good game can be misinterperted as we now see...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users