HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

"Good Game", a.k.a "GeeGee" or simply "GG"

• Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

#41 Hilljack

Hilljack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationVirginia, US

Posted February 11 2013 - 08:56 AM

Seriously though, I say "GG" when it was played with sportsmanship, regardless of the score or how much fun I may have had.
Respect.
PSA: Follow the white arrow, not the red dot.

#42 Tomino_sama

Tomino_sama

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted February 11 2013 - 08:56 AM

View PostBea5t, on February 11 2013 - 07:30 AM, said:

gg after a 6vs4 stomp_ No sir, it was not! And you could have balanced it, so fuzz off and don't tell me about sportsmanship

this is not a GG though.

if nobody switches, leave them to it. If everyone leaves they will be bored for a while and lose the potential XP.

I am an advocate of staying in Matches but 6v4 and worse can be bad. I stay to see if MM will bring in any new blood and ask for someone to switch. If after  few minutes they are being fuzzy bunny about it - I tell the team to quit
Posted Image

www.amegakure.co.uk

[HWK]SUPPPORT_ARE_TROOPS! said:

Remember any time spent redoing things is time not spent adding new things.

#43 Agile

Agile

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted February 11 2013 - 08:59 AM

View PostTomino_sama, on February 11 2013 - 08:53 AM, said:

Ever Since before Doom and Quake, GG has meant "i enjoyed the game" hence, Good Game.

Let me state again that i absolutely have no problem at all with a GG. It's nice to see a genuine GG after a proper good game. I'm referiong to those GG's after a blunt stomp. Nobody likes these type of games, even for the winning team these games are boring. Why the GG in these case, it wasnt good nor enjoyment_

Edited by Agile, February 11 2013 - 08:59 AM.

#44 Delta_Fidelias

Delta_Fidelias

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Posted February 11 2013 - 09:02 AM

I usually just say "gg" at the end of the match as a way of letting other players know that there's no hard feelings.

You know, so that they understand that I'm just enjoying playing the game and I don't mind that I lost.

There are far too many players that get too caught up and rage about the game, and I don't want to be mistaken for one of them.

#45 Neverm0re

Neverm0re

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 285 posts
  • LocationNorth America

Posted February 11 2013 - 09:05 AM

Like I said, when one side stomps another and then says "Good game" it just sounds condescending. You know it wasn't a good game, so if you are going to say something then say something else that better reflects the situation, like "Thanks for the game." to thank the opponents for not leaving, regardless of the stomp.

You can't fall back on "When we were in school we said good game after every game, regardless of the outcome!" because you aren't in school, you aren't a child, and you can think for yourself. Choose your words instead of falling back on a preprogrammed response that is in no way relevant. If you want to say "I enjoyed the game, thanks for playing." fuzzy bunny say "I enjoyed the game, thanks for playing." It really isn't that difficult.

Edited by Neverm0re, February 11 2013 - 09:07 AM.

Posted Image

#46 Hilljack

Hilljack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationVirginia, US

Posted February 11 2013 - 09:06 AM

View PostAgile, on February 11 2013 - 08:59 AM, said:

Ever Since before Doom and Quake, GG has meant "i enjoyed the game" hence, Good Game.

Let me state again that i absolutely have no problem at all with a GG. It's nice to see a genuine GG after a proper good game. I'm referiong to those GG's after a blunt stomp. Nobody likes these type of games, even for the winning team these games are boring. Why the GG in these case, it wasnt good nor enjoyment_

The definer "good" is horribly subjective, thus the varying differences in opinion.

Just for example, you seem to take "good game" to mean that you had fun. I, myself, and perhaps it's because I'm getting older, take "good game" to mean that the game was played with good sportsmanship regardless of any hindrances to my amusement.
PSA: Follow the white arrow, not the red dot.

#47 Keiichi81

Keiichi81

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted February 11 2013 - 09:07 AM

View PostRedVan, on February 11 2013 - 08:25 AM, said:

After stomping people I say GG to those who stayed and tried.

Would you prefer I said "YOU GOT POWNED NOOBS!"_

How about saying "Thanks for the game" or offering praise for any specific performances during the match, like "Nice hustle trying to take that AA there at the end"_ Why does it have to be a choice between "Good Game" and "HAHA U SUXX0RS NOOBS!!1"_

It's just good sportsmanship...  What do you think happens irl when one team clearly stomps another_  The good sports say GG.

They make nice for the fans and the cameras, but you better believe once those teams are back in the locker room, the winning team is bragging about what a stomp it was and the losing team is saying "Man, f--k those guys." The other key difference is that sporting events tend to be fair. You don't get one team with 3 more players than the other, or one position with better equipment than the others ("Man, those linebackers are so OP.") or playing fields that give a clear advantage to one team over the other. You also have refs making sure that every player follows the rules and maintains professional conduct. When's the last time you saw someone get tea bagged post-tackle in the NFL_

When your team has a numerical advantage and spends the entire round spawn camping the opposite team, I fail to see how it isn't condescending to say "Good game" afterwards.

IMO, it's condescending to not say anything after winning a stomp. You're essentially saying that the other team is so bad, they're not even worth talking to.

Or it's simply ignoring the elephant in the room that the teams were clearly unbalanced and the other team didn't stand a chance. Just because you don't lie about what a good game it was doesn't mean you have to give them the silent treatment either.

Edited by Keiichi81, February 11 2013 - 09:09 AM.

#48 Keiichi81

Keiichi81

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted February 11 2013 - 09:13 AM

View PostFoggy, on February 11 2013 - 08:44 AM, said:

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on February 11 2013 - 04:45 AM, said:

In childrens' sports, they are taught to shake hands and be courteous after a game, no matter what side of the outcome they were on. You also see this with professional athletes, with some sharing a hug, a kind word, or even sincere condolences.

This.  I say GG after most matches, regardless of who got their fuzzy lagomorph handed to them.  And it probably stems from sports involvement, in hockey we line up after the match, shake hands and say "Good game" as a sign of respect for the opponent regardless of how the match turned out...

How many games of hockey did you play where your side had 3 more players than the other and 2 of the people on the other team didn't even know what the objective of the game was_

People who try to equate online gaming with professional sporting events are overlooking one huge difference: sports tend to be fair.

Edited by Keiichi81, February 11 2013 - 09:15 AM.

#49 Linxs

Linxs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts
  • LocationGermany, Berlin

Posted February 11 2013 - 09:19 AM

GG is only a figure of speech, just as good  bye, good morning etc .Don´t uberanalyze every BS.
Its just common sense to use it.
If u get a wp from the winning team after 100/1 stomp in a 6vs6 game , then this of course is troll , but a gg isn´t.

Okay, now lets make a topic, about when to us bg.

#50 N0stalgia

N0stalgia

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California

Posted February 11 2013 - 09:19 AM

Saying "GG" has become a formality of sorts. I say it when I obliterate the other team to commend them for sticking it out and trying. I say it when it was a close match because those ones really are the good games. I say it when I get roflstomped to let everyone know I'm not a sore loser.
Call me Nos.

#51 Agile

Agile

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted February 11 2013 - 09:20 AM

View PostHilljack, on February 11 2013 - 09:06 AM, said:

View PostAgile, on February 11 2013 - 08:59 AM, said:

The definer "good" is horribly subjective, thus the varying differences in opinion.

Just for example, you seem to take "good game" to mean that you had fun. I, myself, and perhaps it's because I'm getting older, take "good game" to mean that the game was played with good sportsmanship regardless of any hindrances to my amusement.

Indeed, i do so too. Me also getting older and i now take respect and courtecy alot more into account then only fun. A blunt stomp, outnumbered or even base / spawn camping on top of that is now where near my book. We all have a pretty good idea i think when we are talking a stomp right_ Well in these cases a GG is misplaced or even rude, aomething i cannot enjoy ingame and afterwards.

Edited by Agile, February 11 2013 - 09:22 AM.

#52 13ardock

13ardock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationThe Cosmic Ether

Posted February 11 2013 - 09:26 AM

View PostDisrupted, on February 11 2013 - 03:45 AM, said:

Unfortunately, It's another obnoxious trend. It will fade away and be forgotten soon enough, I try not to think too much about it. However, I admit I have fallen victim in that I have spouted  "gg" after matches as a formality.

At any rate, at least repeatedly 180'ing on your enemy after a kill isn't gaining popularity.

GG'ing out of a game regardless of the outcome has been something players have done for many years.  Remember playing WC3 or Starcraft_  GLHF before the game starts, GG after the game ends.  It's not a trend. It's been around forever.  I dissagree with this thread as well.  I don't GG because I won, I GG because I want to respect everyone else.  

Edited by 13ardock, February 11 2013 - 09:28 AM.

H̝͉̲̭͎̘̿ͧ͂͆ͯͅE͎̦̻̥͉͕ͭ̊ ̤͖̀̒̾ͩͯͧ̚Ĉ̬̙̦̫̬̤͕̽̾̚Ọ̖̲͖̫̣̞̋̈́M̬͇̟͕̩͒̋̏̏̎ͧ̈́E͚̪̺͚̣̟ͣͨ̃ͩS̜͚

#53 13ardock

13ardock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationThe Cosmic Ether

Posted February 11 2013 - 09:31 AM

View PostAgile, on February 11 2013 - 03:38 AM, said:

When the game was one-sided, totally unballanced and the other team got smashed, a "GG" from the winning team afterwards severly lacks any decency, respect or politiness. Getting roflstomped is one thing, receiving a GG afterwards really does nothing but bad...
While there are a few people who use "gg" mockingly, this viewpoint is really more often than not you projecting your own insecurities and creating a negative context that was never there.

In childrens' sports, they are taught to shake hands and be courteous after a game, no matter what side of the outcome they were on. You also see this with professional athletes, with some sharing a hug, a kind word, or even sincere condolences.

Perhaps you need to stop being so cynical.

Also, stop getting mad @ vidya gamez.

This 100%

H̝͉̲̭͎̘̿ͧ͂͆ͯͅE͎̦̻̥͉͕ͭ̊ ̤͖̀̒̾ͩͯͧ̚Ĉ̬̙̦̫̬̤͕̽̾̚Ọ̖̲͖̫̣̞̋̈́M̬͇̟͕̩͒̋̏̏̎ͧ̈́E͚̪̺͚̣̟ͣͨ̃ͩS̜͚

#54 Keiichi81

Keiichi81

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted February 11 2013 - 09:42 AM

Lets get one thing very straight: the people in this thread complaining about "GG" aren't referring to nice, friendly 6v6 matches where everything was fair and you just have to suck it up and admit that you got outplayed. They're complaining about 6v3 matches where the other team spends the entire round spawn camping you so you can even leave your base and then has the audacity to say "Good Game" afterwards. Yeah, I'm sure it was a good game...for you. You want to talk about "GG" being about good sportsmanship_ How about showing some of that good sportsmanship during the match rather than at the end of it_

I don't care whether you all lined up and shook hands after every game of elementary school hockey or whether you all congratulated each other after every game of JV football in high school. Random pub online games are not sporting events. You don't get games of football where one team has twice as many players as the other, or games of hockey where the other team spends the entire match checked against the rear wall while one of your players repeatedly slaps shots into their open net, and you sure as hell don't have the nerve to say "Good game" afterwards and then act surprised when the other team tells you to eff off.

Edited by Keiichi81, February 11 2013 - 09:51 AM.

#55 Animal_Man

Animal_Man

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationFL, USA

Posted February 11 2013 - 09:48 AM

I always thought it was the polite thing to do when finishing a game, regardless if I win or lose by a large margin. To me it's a sign of respect to all the fellow players in the game.

#56 Agile

Agile

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted February 11 2013 - 09:53 AM

When the game was one-sided, totally unballanced and the other team got smashed, a "GG" from the winning team afterwards severly lacks any decency, respect or politiness. Getting roflstomped is one thing, receiving a GG afterwards really does nothing but bad...
While there are a few people who use "gg" mockingly, this viewpoint is really more often than not you projecting your own insecurities and creating a negative context that was never there.

Lol, i should not creat a negative context whengetting roflstomped, outnumbered base fuzzy bunny etc, i should see this as a positive thing_ And then also take the polite thank you in the form of a GG coz i didnt leave... Thats not cynical on my side, thats just sad and rude of the GG sender. If people want to pay their respects, do it properly and appropriately or not at all.

Edited by Agile, February 11 2013 - 09:54 AM.

#57 Keiichi81

Keiichi81

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted February 11 2013 - 09:58 AM

View PostAgile, on February 11 2013 - 09:53 AM, said:

Lol, i should not creat a negative context whengetting roflstomped, outnumbered base fuzzy bunny etc, i should see this as a positive thing_ And then also take the polite thank you in the form of a GG coz i didnt leave... Thats not cynical on my side, thats just sad and rude of the GG sender. If people want to pay their respects, do it properly and appropriately or not at all.

Exactly. If people want to say "Thanks for sticking it out" after a pub stomp, then say "Thanks for sticking it out." Don't say "GG" after what was clearly not a fair, fun and least of all good game, because your brevity is just going to be received as condescension and rubbing salt in a wound.

Edited by Keiichi81, February 11 2013 - 10:02 AM.

#58 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted February 11 2013 - 10:12 AM

View PostKeiichi81, on February 11 2013 - 09:07 AM, said:

They make nice for the fans and the cameras, but you better believe once those teams are back in the locker room, the winning team is bragging about what a stomp it was and the losing team is saying "Man, f--k those guys." The other key difference is that sporting events tend to be fair. You don't get one team with 3 more players than the other, or one position with better equipment than the others ("Man, those linebackers are so OP.") or playing fields that give a clear advantage to one team over the other. You also have refs making sure that every player follows the rules and maintains professional conduct. When's the last time you saw someone get tea bagged post-tackle in the NFL_

[lol NFL]NFL is all about men in tights grabbing at a big sweaty brown ball in a giant pile.  I'm surprised they don't tbag more often, both parties would probably enjoy it.[/lol NFL]

Yeah, they make nice for the cameras, but if they go back to the locker room and start QQing rather than learning from their mistakes
A.  They're poor sports
B.  They wont get better

The winning team knows that the other team is probably going to come back stronger next time, so they'd just look like fools if they brag about it, then wind up losing next time around.

That's part of the "professional" in "professional sports".

When your team has a numerical advantage and spends the entire round spawn camping the opposite team, I fail to see how it isn't condescending to say "Good game" afterwards.

IMO, it's condescending to not say anything after winning a stomp. You're essentially saying that the other team is so bad, they're not even worth talking to.

Or it's simply ignoring the elephant in the room that the teams were clearly unbalanced and the other team didn't stand a chance. Just because you don't lie about what a good game it was doesn't mean you have to give them the silent treatment either.

GG = You did your best despite the odds, I commend you for it.  Why does "good" need to = equal skill, equal teams, close score_  Why cant "good" reflect their efforts_

What do you think happens after a competitive match after one team destroys the other_  I've been in this situation, on the winning side, quite a few times.  While they weren't down players, their skill level was obviously lower, or it would have been a closer match.  Is GG too condescending to say in this situation too_  I mean, there is nothing close to a "good, well balanced game" going on, which is apparently your definition of what is required for a GG to be said.

View PostKeiichi81, on February 11 2013 - 09:42 AM, said:

Lets get one thing very straight: the people in this thread complaining about "GG" aren't referring to nice, friendly 6v6 matches where everything was fair and you just have to suck it up and admit that you got outplayed. They're complaining about 6v3 matches where the other team spends the entire round spawn camping you so you can even leave your base and then has the audacity to say "Good Game" afterwards. Yeah, I'm sure it was a good game...for you. You want to talk about "GG" being about good sportsmanship_ How about showing some of that good sportsmanship during the match rather than at the end of it_

I don't care whether you all lined up and shook hands after every game of elementary school hockey or whether you all congratulated each other after every game of JV football in high school. Random pub online games are not sporting events. You don't get games of football where one team has twice as many players as the other, or games of hockey where the other team spends the entire match checked against the rear wall while one of your players repeatedly slaps shots into their open net, and you sure as hell don't have the nerve to say "Good game" afterwards and then act surprised when the other team tells you to eff off.

If this happens, where a team with more players destroys a team with less, through an entire, or even a quarter, of a round, then the team with more players is already showing terrible sportsmanship by not switching.

However, more often than not, I see people saying "BG" or "teams were imbalanced" even though the imbalance came only in the last few min of the game, after the score was already way out of whack.

Those saying "BG" are being bad sports, because they should know enough to realize they lost fair and square before any team balance even became an issue.

TBH, I have yet to play a match where there is a numbers imbalance through more than 3/4 a game.

For the most part, people act like that last min or two of imbalanced numbers would have made a difference, then they QQ about it.  Bad sports imo.

Edited by RedVan, February 11 2013 - 10:21 AM.

#59 NYPD54

NYPD54

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted February 11 2013 - 11:14 AM

View PostZeshi, on February 11 2013 - 07:16 AM, said:

When it comes to being on the winning team in a stomp, i typically wait until someone on the opposing team says gg before i say it (if it i say it at all). Something about saying gg first when you win just rubs me the wrong way.

I usually say gg either when my team loses (even rofl-stomps) or if everyone on the server starts saying gee gee

#60 Majic12

Majic12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted February 11 2013 - 11:32 AM

View PostKeiichi81, on February 11 2013 - 09:42 AM, said:

dude, calm. normally the guys that give genuine ggs are the nice people that switch teams when needed and stuff like that.
if i should ever encounter someone being pissed about my gg i'd probably brush it off as some immature kid that never has learnt proper etiquette. i've done this for almost 15 years and will continue to do so as long as i can hold a mouse to click and shoot stuff with.
so many people out there taking gaming way too serious.
[Pilot Error]

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users