HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

"Good Game", a.k.a "GeeGee" or simply "GG"

• Please log in to reply
200 replies to this topic

#61 Bea5t

Bea5t

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationCologne, Germany

Posted February 11 2013 - 11:59 AM

We are not talking about a last minute ragequit here. Its more like you and a bunch of noobs vs 3 or 4 vets. The noobs are constantly jumping in and out due to ragequitting, so there is plenty of oportunity to switch teams. Also the players hopping in tend to stack to the winning team so you are constantly outnumbered AND outskilled. When I play those games and get a gg afterwards its more like playing a game of soccer against the italians and they want to shake hands afterwards... [just a reference to the soccer european championship 2008, no offense to our italian community members]

#62 the_Sprawl

the_Sprawl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted February 11 2013 - 12:16 PM

Well, if you're such a good sport when saying GG after an unfair and uneven game, atleast have the courtesy to type a more personal response; like "thanks for the XP dude!", or "thx for the Hawken Credits man, I enjoyed it!" and last but not least: "Thanx for taking the time to run into an iron-wall so I could have some fun man, hope your 15 mins were'nt too long(insert smiley face)".

Be a man, say it as it is. It was unfair, but you liked it.

And if you didn't like it you're only reflecting your own insecurity and superimposing a negative mental projection on an otherwise positive and entertaining setting.*

Edit: * hope the irony wasn't too hard to find.

Edited by the_Sprawl, February 11 2013 - 12:20 PM.

#63 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

Lithium Cellophane Unicorn Salad

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted February 11 2013 - 12:19 PM

What if..._
What if, instead of assuming that someone is being a jackass based on two letters, you instead assumed that they meant it sincerely_
What if, instead of assuming their poor sports for staying on the winning team in an unbalanced match, you instead assumed that perhaps they didn't want to lose a win that they had worked towards, however great or little_
What if, instead of assuming that some nameless individual you don't know is trying to be condescending, you instead assumed they were trying to praise you_
What if..._

Would your experience in Hawken somehow be diminished if you did this_
Would assuming the positive instead of the negative somehow make your experience worse_
Or would giving the benefit of the doubt help reduce your frustration_
Would it improve your experience_
How would it hurt to assume that people are actually being nice_

[HWK]HUGHES, on July 03 2013 - 11:07 PM, said:

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#64 Disrupted

Disrupted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted February 11 2013 - 12:28 PM

View PostTwiceDead, on February 11 2013 - 04:52 AM, said:

View PostDisrupted, on February 11 2013 - 03:45 AM, said:

Unfortunately, It's another obnoxious trend. It will fade away and be forgotten soon enough.
Yeah right. It's been going strong since I started gaming 13 years ago, and I doubt it will be going away anytime soon.

My apologies, I didn't realize this gesture was that old. Only recently have I seen it's usage soar in popularity, especially from more mainstream games. I suppose it is, as discussed by the others, the internet's way of exchanging sportsmanship; a formality I will now be more than happy to express.
"You called down the thunder, now reap the whirlwind."
Nerf everything_ Nerf everything!

#65 Bea5t

Bea5t

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted February 11 2013 - 12:32 PM

I'm aware, that 99% of the people typing gg after a game don't do this to mock the losing team. I just find it rude just like saying 'have a nice day' after a funeral. I'm dreaming of a better world man ;P

#66 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted February 11 2013 - 12:34 PM

View PostBea5t, on February 11 2013 - 12:32 PM, said:

I'm aware, that 99% of the people typing gg after a game don't do this to mock the losing team. I just find it rude just like saying 'have a nice day' after a funeral. I'm dreaming of a better world man ;P
So despite knowing that they mean well, you choose to apply negative connotations to what they have said_

AJK is right

The Sinful Infil HEAT Cannon Hustler, Cloaking and Smoking, C-Class Swagger, Ballin' n' Brawlin'

#67 NYPD54

NYPD54

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted February 11 2013 - 12:41 PM

It's getting srs up in here

#68 Majic12

Majic12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts

Posted February 11 2013 - 12:43 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on February 11 2013 - 12:19 PM, said:

What if..._
What if, instead of assuming that someone is being a jackass based on two letters, you instead assumed that they meant it sincerely_
What if, instead of assuming their poor sports for staying on the winning team in an unbalanced match, you instead assumed that perhaps they didn't want to lose a win that they had worked towards, however great or little_
What if, instead of assuming that some nameless individual you don't know is trying to be condescending, you instead assumed they were trying to praise you_
What if..._

Would your experience in Hawken somehow be diminished if you did this_
Would assuming the positive instead of the negative somehow make your experience worse_
Or would giving the benefit of the doubt help reduce your frustration_
Would it improve your experience_
How would it hurt to assume that people are actually being nice_

THANK GOD.

I could never have put my thoughts into words so it came across the right way. You just did that for me.
[Pilot Error]

#69 SilentJacket

SilentJacket

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,590 posts
  • LocationInstallation 00b

Posted February 11 2013 - 12:56 PM

whenI started, I thought "GG" meant "got to go"  :S

Posted Image

#70 Bea5t

Bea5t

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted February 11 2013 - 01:00 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on February 11 2013 - 12:34 PM, said:

So despite knowing that they mean well, you choose to apply negative connotations to what they have said_

I don't choose to, i just feel that way. Seriuosly, you don't agree with me, that there are situations when a gg is inapropraite_

#71 Dread_Lord_Pitr

Dread_Lord_Pitr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts
  • LocationColumbia Internet

Posted February 11 2013 - 01:29 PM

View PostAgile, on February 11 2013 - 03:38 AM, said:

We all know the messaged "GG" after a round of Hawken (or another game), but often i feel it's being misused. Some people tend to think the GG applies to their own game, a self pad on the back claiming praise for their own gameplay, which is not what GG actually stands for (imo).

Personally i think a GG is praise for the other team, for a good game: intense fighting and preferably a close finish. When the game was one-sided, totally unballanced and the other team got smashed, a "GG" from the winning team afterwards severly lacks any decency, respect or politiness. Getting roflstomped is one thing, receiving a GG afterwards really does nothing but bad...

Ps. calling the opposing teams play mediocre, avarage or weak more or less leads to the same thing.

Hope to see some more courtesy on and around the battlefield.

http://community.pla...6701-gg-trolls/

There's my answer.
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. -George Orwell's Animal Farm
BEGIN Pitr's GEEK CODE BLOCK
GCS d_ s: a- C++++ UL++++ P+++ L++++ E--- W+(++) N++ o+++ K+++ w--- !O M-- V-- PS+++ PE+++ Y(++) PGP+++ t* 5(-) X R- tv- b- DI-- D- G++ e++ h* r% y_
END Pitr's GEEK CODE BLOCK

#72 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted February 11 2013 - 01:33 PM

cant make everyone happy.  If you are offended by GG, my apologies, but I'm not gonna stop saying it :P

#73 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted February 11 2013 - 01:35 PM

View PostBea5t, on February 11 2013 - 01:00 PM, said:

I don't choose to, i just feel that way. Seriuosly, you don't agree with me, that there are situations when a gg is inapropraite_
Except I think you can choose how you perceive people.
The only way you can feel offended by "gg", is by making assumptions about peoples' motives. If you shift your focus from the negative connotations to the positive, it could do wonders for how you perceive the usage of "gg" and your resulting feelings.

AJK is right

#74 RedVan

RedVan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,250 posts

Posted February 11 2013 - 01:37 PM

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on February 11 2013 - 01:35 PM, said:

View PostBea5t, on February 11 2013 - 01:00 PM, said:

Except I think you can choose how you perceive people.
The only way you can feel offended by "gg", is by making assumptions about peoples' motives. If you shift your focus from the negative connotations to the positive, it could do wonders for how you perceive the usage of "gg" and your resulting feelings.

"Dis guy, he sayin 'gg' after pwning me all dem minutes long, must b 1 cocky sum'a'bich, only possible explanation"

#75 Xuande

Xuande

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • LocationShai Hulud

Posted February 11 2013 - 01:41 PM

You know what grinds my gears_ (well not really, I kinda laugh, but still!!) When a mech god descends from the skies and gets 45/0 k/d and has the nerve to say "gg" at the score screen. How in the HELL is that a "gg"_ It's like the frakker is taunting everyone.

Edited by Xuande, February 11 2013 - 01:42 PM.

Ol' Betsy || CR-T Recruit   Jethro || Raider
Jim Bob || Beserker    Big Bertha || Brawler
Bubba || Bruiser            Billy-Bob || Technician
Bobby-Joe || Reaper
My name is pronounced (Shuahn-duuh) not (Juan-dee).

#76 StephenHawking

StephenHawking

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  • LocationBC

Posted February 11 2013 - 01:49 PM

I never use gg condescendingly, there's much better ways to be condescending, I'm sure you'll figure that out. I generally only say gg when the point spread isn't very large.

#77 AsianJoyKiller

AsianJoyKiller

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts
  • LocationWI

Posted February 11 2013 - 01:53 PM

View PostXuande, on February 11 2013 - 01:41 PM, said:

You know what grinds my gears_ (well not really, I kinda laugh, but still!!) When a mech god descends from the skies and gets 45/0 k/d and has the nerve to say "gg" at the score screen. How in the HELL is that a "gg"_ It's like the frakker is taunting everyone.
And can you prove that_
Or is it just an assumption you would make_

AJK is right

#78 Agile

Agile

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted February 11 2013 - 01:53 PM

I believe the general concensus about GG's is that they are given out of courtecy, good manners and respect for your opponent. You dont say this for yourself, but you say it to another. It's not about making yourself feeling better but a good sign for some one else that you just shared a game with. When used appropriate a gg is also appreciated, you will not here a complain about it. But apparently a GG is not always appropriated and thus out of courtecy, manners and respect for your opponent you say something else or nothing at all.

Perceive what you want, i dont appreciate an inpropriated GG.

#79 Agile

Agile

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted February 11 2013 - 01:58 PM

A GG according to the urban dictionary:

1. A polite remark uttered after the end of a round, game, or other measured interval to indicate that a match was FAIR and ENJOYABLE. Usually uttered collectively by the occupants of a game server. The opposite of BG

2. A condescending remark, often uttered by somebody who DOES NOT KNOW MEANING 1, and is simply repeating what others have told them.

Edited by Agile, February 11 2013 - 02:04 PM.

#80 MCIggy

MCIggy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted February 11 2013 - 02:00 PM

I usually accompany gg with how I felt about the fight if it was good.

I might go "GG, you guys put up a serious fight." or "gg, made me work for it!" if I've come on top in deathmatch.

Or my favorite go to when I'm not on top in DM; "Gg.  You earned it."

Now, I don't always say gg.  Sometimes I'll just outright admit, especially if I've won "That was not a fair fight.  Lets hope teams get mixed well next round."

I dunno, I just try to be a good sport.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users