HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Profanity in voice chat

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Poll: Reporting players using profanity (120 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you take the time to submit a report on player 'A' for using profane language directed at player 'B' in voice chat_

1. Yes (38 votes [31.67%])

Percentage of vote: 31.67%

2. No (82 votes [68.33%])

Percentage of vote: 68.33%

Would you take the time to submit a report on player 'A' for using profane language directed at YOU in voice chat_

1. Yes (40 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. No (80 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

Do you use profanity in voice chat_

1. Yes (58 votes [48.33%])

Percentage of vote: 48.33%

2. No (62 votes [51.67%])

Percentage of vote: 51.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted February 26 2013 - 12:45 AM

I'm just doing a scientific study on ethics in the Hawken player community.

Please take the time to vote. The more votes the better the statistical data pool.

There is no right or wrong answer, just fill it out honestly please.

The term Player 'A' does not include yourself.  :D

Thanks.

Edited by SS396, February 26 2013 - 01:51 AM.

# while true; do echo "Post"; done

#2 robotokom

robotokom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted February 26 2013 - 12:56 AM

Did you know sometimes the people you hear in game are not in the game you are in_

#3 Fantus_Longhorn

Fantus_Longhorn

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, UK

Posted February 26 2013 - 01:07 AM

View Postrobotokom, on February 26 2013 - 12:56 AM, said:

Did you know sometimes the people you hear in game are not in the game you are in_

I think we can assume, for the sake of this test, that voice chat works properly. It's not about the function itself but peoples attitudes towards profanity as a whole.

Posted Image

Hawken EMP Youtube Channel ~ Watch Previous Episodes Here

And unto us a clan is born...

"May all our assists be critical and all our kills be stolen. Amen"

#4 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted February 26 2013 - 01:12 AM

View PostFantus_Longhorn, on February 26 2013 - 01:07 AM, said:

I think we can assume, for the sake of this test, that voice chat works properly. It's not about the function itself but peoples attitudes towards profanity as a whole.

Bingo, ;)

I would also like to add that nobody is going to be reported for any of the votes cast.  I'm just trying to gather up data on how the community responds.

#5 Frouste

Frouste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted February 26 2013 - 01:13 AM

Point of fact, context drives everything.  I generally try to keep a lid on the language, but people are going to swear, it's a human inevitability.  As long as people don't sling slurs (homophobic, racial, etc.) and refrain from "directing" negative language at people without being similarly attacked, I think things will be fine.  I am intolerant of intolerance, not profanity.

I loathe overzealous prohibition of language, but at least you have a method in which to gauge overall intelligence and or vocabulary.
"... And I gazed once more unto the looking glass, but with a clear and unclouded will..."

#6 davek1979

davek1979

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • LocationAt the table, eating Cupcakes for breakfast...

Posted February 26 2013 - 01:22 AM

I said yes to everything and have no moral qualms over it. I'm an adult and sometimes profanity is the only way how to put a message across.

Especially when the recipient is an XP leecher wasting our bandwidth sitting in the back while the rest of the team sweats doing his job. With nothing that could be done about it at the time it's only understandable people get frustrated.

Frustrated players = profanity.

Edited by davek1979, February 26 2013 - 01:23 AM.

"Mega-damage is systematically dismantling this game." - waftycrank. QFT. (http://community.pla...er/#entry224885)
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If we spread out, we die.[/font]
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If we stick together, we die together. (in memory of f_error, gone, but not forgotten)[/font]

#7 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted February 26 2013 - 01:23 AM

Hrmm, maybe I should define "profane" in my use above. :wacko:

This seems to fit what I was going for.

Profanity, also called swearing, cursing, coarse language, foul speech, strong language, dirty words, 'cussing', bad words, bad language, vulgar language, inappropriate language, and simply language, is language that is considered by some to be strongly impolite or offensive. It can show a desecration or debasement of someone or something, or show strong or intense emotion. Profanity can take the form of words, expressions, gestures (such as flipping the middle finger), or other social behaviours that are construed or interpreted as insulting, rude, vulgar, obscene, obnoxious, foul, desecrating, or other forms.

reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profanity

#8 Hilljack

Hilljack

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • LocationVirginia, US

Posted February 26 2013 - 01:27 AM

I could imagine reporting someone for blatant and unrelenting harassment but profane language is not something that offends me personally so I would see no reason to report that. Out of respect for others I don't use profanity in public.
PSA: Follow the white arrow, not the red dot.

#9 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted February 26 2013 - 01:31 AM

View Postdavek1979, on February 26 2013 - 01:22 AM, said:

I said yes to everything and have no moral qualms over it.

Well, thank you for voting but I feel you might not of understood the first two questions.  It is my hypothesis that a yes to the third would tend to result in a no for the first one.  I guess we will see.  ;)

#10 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted February 26 2013 - 01:34 AM

View PostHilljack, on February 26 2013 - 01:27 AM, said:

I could imagine reporting someone for blatant and unrelenting harassment but profane language is not something that offends me personally so I would see no reason to report that. Out of respect for others I don't use profanity in public.

Great stuff.
I didn't think this could take off so fast.  I guess I'll hold on and see where this thing flies off too.  :lol:

#11 davek1979

davek1979

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted February 26 2013 - 01:35 AM

Those choices are not mutually exclusive if my logic is correct.

"Would you" implies a choice and I choose not to report myself because of the lack of a kick vote system.
"Mega-damage is systematically dismantling this game." - waftycrank. QFT. (http://community.pla...er/#entry224885)
[font=play, helvetica, arial, sans-serif]If we stick together, we die together. (in memory of f_error, gone, but not forgotten)[/font]

#12 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted February 26 2013 - 01:37 AM

Well, they were meant to be player A, meaning not you.

Can you think of a better way to word it_

#13 Frouste

Frouste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted February 26 2013 - 01:38 AM

You blatantly disregarded middle ground of "depends."  (Not that I'm attacking you.)

Discretion is the better part of our command of language, sometimes it is used to press the boundaries of what is acceptable.  If an overzealous person starts reporting someone for any minor infraction, then that person is going to be controlling what people think by what they say.  Just watch "Demolition Man," you'll know what I mean.

Edited by Frouste, February 26 2013 - 01:39 AM.

"... And I gazed once more unto the looking glass, but with a clear and unclouded will..."

#14 davek1979

davek1979

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted February 26 2013 - 01:45 AM

View PostSS396, on February 26 2013 - 01:37 AM, said:

Well, they were meant to be player A, meaning not you.

Can you think of a better way to word it_

Your logic has serious flaws and I think you are making this conversation increasingly more complicated for no real reason. I stand by my votes, create your study out of them the best way you seem fit. Have a good day.

#15 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted February 26 2013 - 01:47 AM

View PostFrouste, on February 26 2013 - 01:38 AM, said:

You blatantly disregarded middle ground of "depends."  (Not that I'm attacking you.)

Its cool, I could see how you could conclude that, but I don't really feel that there is a middle ground and think its best to not throw another variable into the mix as it could throw off the data.  ;)

#16 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted February 26 2013 - 01:50 AM

View Postdavek1979, on February 26 2013 - 01:45 AM, said:

Your logic has serious flaws and I think you are making this conversation increasingly more complicated for no real reason. I stand by my votes, create your study out of them the best way you seem fit. Have a good day.
Lol, Player A != yourself.  Why on earth would anyone report themselves_

Thanks, you too.

#17 Frouste

Frouste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted February 26 2013 - 01:55 AM

View PostSS396, on February 26 2013 - 01:47 AM, said:

Its cool, I could see how you could conclude that, but I don't really feel that there is a middle ground and think its best to not throw another variable into the mix as it could throw off the data.  ;)
right...  I'm just going to leave it at that...  <_<

#18 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted February 26 2013 - 02:00 AM

View PostFrouste, on February 26 2013 - 01:55 AM, said:

View PostSS396, on February 26 2013 - 01:47 AM, said:

right...  I'm just going to leave it at that...  <_<

Really, this poll is about players being desensitized to the use of profanity and whether or not they would take the time to report it.
Its either you are offended or you are not.  ;)

#19 Dread_nought

Dread_nought

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis

Posted February 26 2013 - 02:36 AM

View Postrobotokom, on February 26 2013 - 12:56 AM, said:

That explains quite a lot actually...was on Uptown TDM and had a guy keep saying he needed help at S1, S2, etc.  I spoke up and told him I had no idea what he meant since the map we were on had no silos and he started laughing at me, asking if I was serious.
Posted Image

#20 Frouste

Frouste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted February 26 2013 - 03:09 AM

I've never had this problem before...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users