HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Profanity in voice chat

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Poll: Reporting players using profanity (120 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you take the time to submit a report on player 'A' for using profane language directed at player 'B' in voice chat_

1. Yes (38 votes [31.67%])

Percentage of vote: 31.67%

2. No (82 votes [68.33%])

Percentage of vote: 68.33%

Would you take the time to submit a report on player 'A' for using profane language directed at YOU in voice chat_

1. Yes (40 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. No (80 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

Do you use profanity in voice chat_

1. Yes (58 votes [48.33%])

Percentage of vote: 48.33%

2. No (62 votes [51.67%])

Percentage of vote: 51.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Kronguard

Kronguard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationLatvia.

Posted February 26 2013 - 04:06 AM

View PostSS396, on February 26 2013 - 12:45 AM, said:

ethics community.

Someone should do study on these two words in the same line,cuz they don't belong together.

Cursing is part of one's life,now i don't know what kind of messed up community you come from if you find it unfitting,granted an overkill is annoying,but then again,people who go all berserk on cursing are idiots who will get banned sooner or later,because if you overdo it,sooner or later you get got.
I don't want some righteous prick reporting me only because i say fuzzy bunny on voice chat once in a while.
There is no way to track who said what,because recording player conversations on developer's side for further reviewing is straight up illegal,they do that,and not only will hawken get shut down,they will also do jail time,and not weeks,but years.
Posted Image
   I dreamed a thousand new paths...I woke and walked my old one.

#22 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted February 26 2013 - 05:14 AM

View PostKronguard, on February 26 2013 - 04:06 AM, said:

ethics community.

Someone should do study on these two words in the same line,cuz they don't belong together.
Why don't you look up their respective definitions, and then feel free to elaborate on your statement.

Cursing is part of one's life,now i don't know what kind of messed up community you come from if you find it unfitting,granted an overkill is annoying,but then again,people who go all berserk on cursing are idiots who will get banned sooner or later,because if you overdo it,sooner or later you get got.
Please do not automatically assume that I am against profanity.  My personal views do not matter in this study, that is also why I am not voting.  
Also please do not question my background or as you stated the "messed up community you come from" because I posted this, this has nothing to do with my personal beliefs for or against profanity.

I don't want some righteous prick reporting me only because i say fuzzy bunny on voice chat once in a while.
There is no way to track who said what,because recording player conversations on developer's side for further reviewing is straight up illegal,they do that,and not only will hawken get shut down,they will also do jail time,and not weeks,but years.
Please do not bring religion into this either.  Religion and personal beliefs on profanity do not have to be correlated.

Think about it if you use profanity in voice chat, how would you know that you have not offended another player_  :huh:

Please do not deduce the purpose of this poll.  Once I have the data set I need I will announce my results.  It seems I am already impressed with the community and their response.

Thank you.
# while true; do echo "Post"; done

#23 dEd101

dEd101

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,177 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted February 26 2013 - 09:50 AM

I'm extending the definition of profane attacks to mean personal attacks and the like. The odd swearword isn't going to bother me but consistent malicious attacks on myself or an individual in the game will warrant me taking action.

Thankfully I haven't found anything bad enough to think that it required the special attention of the devs and support team.
General tips and tricks: https://community.pl...-tricks-thread/
Wolfyftw videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/wolfyFTW (click on the 'Mindgamer' episodes)
Promo Codes (free money): https://community.pl...90-promo-codes/
Stats (all credit to AsianJoyKiller and the other contributors): https://docs.google....lrQjM5Tmc#gid=0 (don't forget to scroll right)

#24 ReachH

ReachH

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,459 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted February 26 2013 - 10:41 AM

I think most people just mute the idiots, and HAWKEN doesn't have many of them. Compared with the torrents of 'LOL PROTOSS SO BROKEN', 'SKILLRAYS F*** YOU', 'DUMB N***** PROTOSS NOOB', 'HAHA WHY DO YOU PLAY LIKE A LITTLE B****' in certain other games.

View Post[HWK]HUGHES, on October 23 2013 - 06:01 PM, said:

Development happens.

Posted Image

#25 Kronguard

Kronguard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationLatvia.

Posted February 26 2013 - 01:25 PM

View PostSS396, on February 26 2013 - 05:14 AM, said:

ethics community.

Why don't you look up their respective definitions, and then feel free to elaborate on your statement.

Please do not automatically assume that I am against profanity.  My personal views do not matter in this study, that is also why I am not voting.  
Also please do not question my background or as you stated the "messed up community you come from" because I posted this, this has nothing to do with my personal beliefs for or against profanity.

Please do not bring religion into this either.  Religion and personal beliefs on profanity do not have to be correlated.

Think about it if you use profanity in voice chat, how would you know that you have not offended another player_  :huh:

Please do not deduce the purpose of this poll.  Once I have the data set I need I will announce my results.  It seems I am already impressed with the community and their response.

Thank you.

And all the sarcasm was missed......
I will bring in whatever i feel i must because i am an a$$hole,i know that,sorry,can't do nothing about it.
However,the bottom line is,there is no way for them to track the voice chats.
When you report someone for excessive profanity within the game chats or forums,the management deals with it in two ways: Screenshots of the bloke when he made the mistake (in very old/specific games) or loggs that managers can check them selves.
Now the problem is,voice is a bit different thing,they can provide the service for chatting,but they are not allowed to record the conversations under any circumstances,nor are we in fact,so nobody legally without approval of all partys involved can do this.
If you would of made a poll for whether voice chat is needed or not,that's a whole different thing,besides at the end of the day,you have the option to mute people,considering the nature and topic of the poll,i assume that someone said something you took personally.....on the internet,but that's okay,some people just can't develop the tolerance for it,why not just mute him_ i do believe that it actually works for any other games in future as well,so you don't have to worry about joining a new game just to discover that your nemesis is there with his mouth cannon yet again.

P.S. just to explain,when i quoted the ethics and community and said they don't belong in the same sentence,what i means was that gaming communitys don't have ethics,people on internet in general don't.
Rules is what keeps them in check...in most of the cases,but then again,sometimes even big time game developers slip and say things they shouldn't (Blizzard comes to mind)

Edited by Kronguard, February 26 2013 - 01:27 PM.

Posted Image

#26 robotokom

robotokom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted February 26 2013 - 02:41 PM

fuzzy bunny fuzzy bunny fuzzy bunny fuzzy bunny fuzzy bunny fuzzy bunny fuzzy bunny fuzzy bunny.

#27 DeVact

DeVact

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 547 posts
  • Locationall over the place

Posted February 26 2013 - 03:07 PM

If somebody shows the signs of a classic flamer I will direct a sarcastic comment at them or just straight up troll them. I just love being showered by profanity!
I'd just leave the reporting to somebody else ;)

DarkPulse said:

... less than witnessing Elvis crash a UFO into the Loch Ness Monster, seeing Bigfoot crawl out of the smoking wreckage, opening a wormhole in space, and then getting picked up by ET, Lando Calrissian, and an Arilou Lalee'Lay in the Space Battleship Yamato.

Posted Image

#28 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted February 26 2013 - 03:11 PM

View PostKronguard, on February 26 2013 - 01:25 PM, said:

I detected zero sarcasm.  I'm really not trying to make a joke out of this poll.  I'm trying to get valid data on the players .

I will bring in whatever i feel i must because i am an a$$hole,i know that,sorry,can't do nothing about it.
Well, admitting you have a problem is the first step.  :blink:

I am not asking for them to do that.

When you report someone for excessive profanity within the game chats or forums,the management deals with it in two ways: Screenshots of the bloke when he made the mistake (in very old/specific games) or loggs that managers can check them selves.
Now the problem is,voice is a bit different thing,they can provide the service for chatting,but they are not allowed to record the conversations under any circumstances,nor are we in fact,so nobody legally without approval of all partys involved can do this.
Not really interested in the 'how it works' on the backend or what is legal and what isn't.

If you would of made a poll for whether voice chat is needed or not,that's a whole different thing,besides at the end of the day,you have the option to mute people,considering the nature and topic of the poll,i assume that someone said something you took personally.....on the internet,but that's okay,some people just can't develop the tolerance for it,why not just mute him_
Again, please do not assume anything.  My personal experiences and reason for this poll do not matter.  This is simply a gauge.  This isn't about me, its about everyone else in the community.
If I could of added more questions I would of included muting, but I was limited to 3.  Maybe I need a part 2 thread.

i do believe that it actually works for any other games in future as well,so you don't have to worry about joining a new game just to discover that your nemesis is there with his mouth cannon yet again.
That unfortunately is incorrect.  It only remains muted for the time both players are in the same lobby/server.  Future meetings with a previously muted player will result in having to mute him again.

P.S. just to explain,when i quoted the ethics and community and said they don't belong in the same sentence,what i means was that gaming communitys don't have ethics,people on internet in general don't.
Ah, ok.  sarcasm detected.  Just because they don't does not mean that they shouldn't.

Rules is what keeps them in check...in most of the cases,but then again,sometimes even big time game developers slip and say things they shouldn't (Blizzard comes to mind)
Ok, now you are getting warmer.  Rules and keeping players in check.  I agree with that.

Once I get enough data, the reasoning will be clear.

Thanks.

Edited by SS396, February 26 2013 - 03:15 PM.

#29 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted February 26 2013 - 03:18 PM

View Postrobotokom, on February 26 2013 - 02:41 PM, said:

fuzzy bunny fuzzy bunny fuzzy bunny fuzzy bunny fuzzy bunny fuzzy bunny fuzzy bunny fuzzy bunny.
Muted.  :P

#30 Kronguard

Kronguard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationLatvia.

Posted February 26 2013 - 03:29 PM

View PostSS396, on February 26 2013 - 03:11 PM, said:

I detected zero sarcasm.  I'm really not trying to make a joke out of this poll.  I'm trying to get valid data on the players .

Well, admitting you have a problem is the first step.  :blink:

I am not asking for them to do that.

Not really interested in the 'how it works' on the backend or what is legal and what isn't.

If you would of made a poll for whether voice chat is needed or not,that's a whole different thing,besides at the end of the day,you have the option to mute people,considering the nature and topic of the poll,i assume that someone said something you took personally.....on the internet,but that's okay,some people just can't develop the tolerance for it,why not just mute him_
Again, please do not assume anything.  My personal experiences and reason for this poll do not matter.  This is simply a gauge.  This isn't about me, its about everyone else in the community.
If I could of added more questions I would of included muting, but I was limited to 3.  Maybe I need a part 2 thread.

i do believe that it actually works for any other games in future as well,so you don't have to worry about joining a new game just to discover that your nemesis is there with his mouth cannon yet again.
That unfortunately is incorrect.  It only remains muted for the time both players are in the same lobby/server.  Future meetings with a previously muted player will result in having to mute him again.

Ah, ok.  sarcasm detected.  Just because they don't does not mean that they shouldn't.

Ok, now you are getting warmer.  Rules and keeping players in check.  I agree with that.

Once I get enough data, the reasoning will be clear.

Thanks.

So wait,if i understand correctly,you want them to add rules to Voice chat_
If i am not mistaken general in-game behavior rules go across the board,meaning voice chat as well.
Either way,since there is no legal way to keep it in check,rules that also apply to voice chat are more of a guideline,it's same as with neutral waters,bad things are discouraged but not forbidden since there is no way to track anything.
Posted Image

#31 WarPig

WarPig

Mech Assimilations

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  • LocationOneida, NY

Posted February 26 2013 - 03:36 PM

Good poll & the Votes look like I expected.
Posted Image

#32 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted February 26 2013 - 05:29 PM

View PostKronguard, on February 26 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

If i am not mistaken general in-game behavior rules go across the board,meaning voice chat as well.
Either way,since there is no legal way to keep it in check,rules that also apply to voice chat are more of a guideline,it's same as with neutral waters,bad things are discouraged but not forbidden since there is no way to track anything.

Seriously, please quit over analyzing this, you are reading way into things and drawing conclusions on my intents that are completely untrue.  I have no intent.  I want nothing to change, I have no problem with the system as it is currently in play.  I just want honest data (votes) from the players that play this game.

And Yes, the current rules apply to both voice and text chat.

I left out the text chat because now there is an in-game censor and I was limited to only 3 questions.

This poll is not about me.  Its about you, the player and your personal views.

The major theme here is the "desensitization" of profanity in the players and whether or not players are offended with profanity.  Thats all.  ;)

View PostWarPig, on February 26 2013 - 03:36 PM, said:

Yup, I am amazed at the results and responses of the members of this community (kudos Hilljack B) )

The results of the last question are very interesting, I would of never thought it would be so neutral, I predicted it would be more of a landslide.  :o

#33 robotokom

robotokom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted February 26 2013 - 05:36 PM

Yes the last one is bad I try not to fuzzy bunny but sometimes them fuzzy bunny fuzzy bunnys are fast and get out and they can dig and they are up all night fuzzy bunny them fuzzy bunnys.

#34 kubikiri

kubikiri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted February 26 2013 - 05:54 PM

you are aware that some games bad company 2, dead island, far cry 3, and god knows how many others,
actually INCORPORTATE profanity into the game...

swearing is reality, and to borrow from the internet, it is the duct tape of the english language...
but honestly i really havent seen much in chat...

i can't stand people who flame their own team, (this team sux) etc.,
that makes me more angry than profane language...

#35 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted February 26 2013 - 06:10 PM

View Postkubikiri, on February 26 2013 - 05:54 PM, said:

you are aware that some games bad company 2, dead island, far cry 3, and god knows how many others,
actually INCORPORTATE profanity into the game...
Yup, they also have ratings on the front cover so you or your parents know what you are getting into.  ;)

swearing is reality, and to borrow from the internet, it is the duct tape of the english language...
but honestly i really havent seen much in chat...
Meh, need more pew pew.

i can't stand people who flame their own team, (this team sux) etc.,
that makes me more angry than profane language...
Personal views are what this is all about.  I just wish I could make more of a survey than just 3 questions.

#36 Kronguard

Kronguard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • LocationLatvia.

Posted February 26 2013 - 11:09 PM

View PostSS396, on February 26 2013 - 05:29 PM, said:

View PostKronguard, on February 26 2013 - 03:29 PM, said:

Seriously, please quit over analyzing this, you are reading way into things and drawing conclusions on my intents that are completely untrue.  I have no intent.  I want nothing to change, I have no problem with the system as it is currently in play.  I just want honest data (votes) from the players that play this game.

And Yes, the current rules apply to both voice and text chat.

I left out the text chat because now there is an in-game censor and I was limited to only 3 questions.

This poll is not about me.  Its about you, the player and your personal views.

The major theme here is the "desensitization" of profanity in the players and whether or not players are offended with profanity.  Thats all.  ;)

View PostWarPig, on February 26 2013 - 03:36 PM, said:

Yup, I am amazed at the results and responses of the members of this community (kudos Hilljack B) )

The results of the last question are very interesting, I would of never thought it would be so neutral, I predicted it would be more of a landslide.  :o

Well but that's the idea of cursing,to insult someone,why else would i say ''f u'' _
The reason why i read so much into it,is because in Hawken,99% of the polls,unless they are in off-topic section,is actually more aimed at devs,as in ''look what most folks voted for,this is what we want,change it!"
Don't bother with me if i misunderstood.
Posted Image

#37 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted February 26 2013 - 11:32 PM

I guess I just thought that a poll belonged in the polls category not in the off-topic area.  shrug.

Well, in the 3 team based modes, the opponents can't hear you "insult" them until the end.

Seriously, I just wanted to ask a few hypothetical "what would you do" questions to everyone.  I guess I'm that 1%.

It is very interesting to see the results of the player base.

#38 Dreizehn

Dreizehn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted February 26 2013 - 11:58 PM

In this day and age, I reckon people would have pretty damned thick skin if they play online multiplayer games. I don't think we have such tender feelings that they can't suffer a few cases of directed profanity.

#39 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted February 27 2013 - 01:14 AM

I tried to write "fist bump" in the in-game text chat and it censored the "bum" part.

I am offended by this.

Posted Image

#40 DarkPulse

DarkPulse

Ghost Liner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY, USA

Posted February 27 2013 - 01:28 AM

I'm usually on third-party voicechats with friends, so obviously the conversation is a bit more loose and salty.

That said... well, I'm 27. I think I can deal with swearing by now, and if someone's being obnoxious over it, just mute them.

That said, punishing players just because they're swearing is going a bit too far. Idiots will always be idiots, just learn to shrug your shoulders.
Reason as my minor ego, and opposite my desire to be a murderer.
A coagulated, gloomy thinking in the intelligence, as my major ego.
An antinomian theorem of behaviorism, in all of my thinkings.
It's what we call "The Inversion Impulse."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users