HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Profanity in voice chat

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

Poll: Reporting players using profanity (120 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you take the time to submit a report on player 'A' for using profane language directed at player 'B' in voice chat_

1. Yes (38 votes [31.67%])

Percentage of vote: 31.67%

2. No (82 votes [68.33%])

Percentage of vote: 68.33%

Would you take the time to submit a report on player 'A' for using profane language directed at YOU in voice chat_

1. Yes (40 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

2. No (80 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

Do you use profanity in voice chat_

1. Yes (58 votes [48.33%])

Percentage of vote: 48.33%

2. No (62 votes [51.67%])

Percentage of vote: 51.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Alastor_Crow

Alastor_Crow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • LocationQueens, NY

Posted February 27 2013 - 01:37 AM

No / No / Yes.

I wouldn't waste time reporting it. It's the internet and although that doesn't mean you can do what you want, I still find it silly that people become personally offended by all this. It's not as if the game doesn't have a "mute mic" option for these situations. I can't deny that I might have let out a couple of bombs out over mic but never directed at anyone. Just colorful language to express my surprise/disappointment/enthusiasm over certain things.

I hope Hawken has a disclaimer somewhere stating that "online experience not rated" just for legal reasons. I'm paranoid about lawsuits since I work in a healthcare setting. =/

Edited by Alastor_Crow, February 27 2013 - 01:41 AM.

Posted Image

#42 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted February 27 2013 - 03:29 AM

@DarkPulse and Alastor_Crow

I'm not really interested in discussing everyones idea on how to deal with it.  This is not the place for that.  This is just a poll to gather data on the questions asked.

Lets get back on the rails.

Thank you.

# while true; do echo "Post"; done

#43 Akrium

Akrium

Mean Kitty

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted February 27 2013 - 11:16 AM

View PostSS396, on February 27 2013 - 03:29 AM, said:

@DarkPulse and Alastor_Crow

I'm not really interested in discussing everyones idea on how to deal with it.  This is not the place for that.  This is just a poll to gather data on the questions asked.

Lets get back on the rails.

Thank you.

I find some of their views on what is a curse word makes me giggle. At least they do understand is that what is a profane word changes over time. And what they deem to be very bad and bleepable is not even what many consider bad currently. But their topic was more about rules than profanity. Controlling your child, not stopping them from swearing their whole life.

And I love that they say if you allow your kids to say what they want will end up putting them in jail down the road. (close to the 9:00 mark) ahahahahahahahahahahahahah

I do understand that as a parent you need to play your role as the parent. But that does not mean you cannot allow them to express themselves in their way while still respecting what you feel should be said around you and family. When my parents would be like "Oh excuse my french" as a kid, I wasn't ignorant enough to think it was actually french. I knew what they did and understood what they said. Kids are not as ignorant as many people want to believe.

But on topic:
Profanity in online games is a part of the social culture that is the Internet. While participating in actions that involve the Internet you will be subject to profanity. It is a melding pot of many cultures into its own unique culture along with anonymity. It isn't the family culture, it isn't the town culture, it isn't the city culture, it isn't the culture of Texas, it isn't the culture of North America, it is the culture of everyone that has access to the internet.

Hawken provides tools to minimize what someone may deem as bad interactions with other players. There is a chat filter, a voip player mute option, a mute all option and above all else the fact that they give you the choice to download the game and play it.  If you feel that you cannot handle the interactions at all you don't have to download the game. Then Hawken would not introduce any of that experience while playing the game because you simply could not play it.

In the end I voted no, no, yes. Because I view reporting someone is being based on repetition and not just some one time misplaced comment via chat txt or in game voip. Let alone what is considered profane while playing the game has to take into account the culture of internet gaming. Profanity is rampant in all gaming cultures. Some people even find "GG" to be very offensive. In the end each person has their own view on this topic and a different degree to what they find offensive. I just happen to not be easily offended.

#44 Brave_Sir_Robin

Brave_Sir_Robin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationNearby the model of Camelot

Posted February 27 2013 - 11:43 AM

I voted No-No-No, although I may have let a word slip here and there (I am only human).

I'll spare you my reasons for voting this way as this is a poll and does not require any more philosophical and/or moral discussions.

Posted Image

Need some advice on your next Mech_ Check out this thread!

#45 Alastor_Crow

Alastor_Crow

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts
  • LocationQueens, NY

Posted February 27 2013 - 12:17 PM

That video.. kind of like the opposite to George Carlin's "7 Words".

Posted Image

#46 Astrolis

Astrolis

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted February 27 2013 - 12:19 PM

Depends on the situation for the profanity. If coming from a player that was just jumped and melted No, I would not report. Raging on other players for no real reason other than the fact that the rager may be getting beat up on is a report in my book. We are all guilty of raging at least once so unless its abusive I'd let it slide.
Posted Image

#47 Frouste

Frouste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted February 27 2013 - 02:19 PM

View PostAlastor_Crow, on February 27 2013 - 12:17 PM, said:

That video.. kind of like the opposite to George Carlin's "7 Words".
I kinda stopped near the beginning.
I felt it was far more subjective than the people making it recognized.
Plus it practically screams that it's too naive.
"... And I gazed once more unto the looking glass, but with a clear and unclouded will..."

#48 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted February 27 2013 - 03:14 PM

View PostBrave_Sir_Robin, on February 27 2013 - 11:43 AM, said:

I'll spare you my reasons for voting this way as this is a poll and does not require any more philosophical and/or moral discussions.

Bingo, ;)

I've tried to explain it that I only care about the votes of the users, not get into a discussion.

I really don't want this thread to snowball into a discussion of everyones personal values, it is just a POLL.

I thank you good Sir.
# while true; do echo "Post"; done

#49 bacon_avenger

bacon_avenger

Defender of Pork Products

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationUsually hanging out in #spawn

Posted February 27 2013 - 07:46 PM

Relevent (behind a spoiler for one use of NSFW language in the segment):
Warning, it is from PAX Prime 2012 Q&A with Mike and Jerry, so if you watch the entire thing, you are on your own.  :P

(I don't mean to necro threads, I'm just almost always running behind.  My apologies)

Posted ImageFollower of Wheaton's Law, #spawn camper, test dummy for science, and being one of "those guys" <3

Youtube: thebaconavenger - Twitch/Twitter: bacon_avenger

System specs: i5 2500k // Asus P8Z68-V // eVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti Superclocked // 16 GB 1600 DDR3
New to siege_  Give Bacon's Guide to Siege Mode a watch

#50 Kinzuko

Kinzuko

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted May 02 2013 - 08:52 PM

to me profanity is just words you say... nothing more... nothing less...

----------------------------------------------EDIT------------------------------------------------------

View Postbacon_avenger, on February 27 2013 - 07:46 PM, said:

Relevent (behind a spoiler for one use of NSFW language in the segment):
Warning, it is from PAX Prime 2012 Q&A with Mike and Jerry, so if you watch the entire thing, you are on your own.  :P

yes this is exactly what im sayin bro

Edited by Kinzuko, May 02 2013 - 08:56 PM.

Posted Image

#51 N0stalgia

N0stalgia

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, California

Posted July 09 2013 - 05:21 PM

There should be no censorship on words. That is dark age thinking. Besides, you can cuss all you want in the mic. Also, you cannot say c r a p right now which is a problem because it also means you can't say 'scrappy' 'skyscrapers' 'scrapbook' 'scrape' etc.

As in, "at range, the vulcan barely scrapes paint off a mech."

'nuff said.
Call me Nos.

#52 NYR0

NYR0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted July 09 2013 - 05:49 PM

Do we get reported for trying to hit on people in voice chat as we play_ I mean it is a legitimate strategy of distracting people.
Posted Image

#53 Silverfire

Silverfire

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,042 posts
  • LocationThe Depths of Coruscant

Posted July 09 2013 - 06:29 PM

View PostNYR0, on July 09 2013 - 05:49 PM, said:

Do we get reported for trying to hit on people in voice chat as we play_ I mean it is a legitimate strategy of distracting people.

That's an.....interesting strategy, to say the least.  Must try! But the only qualm I have is, I only ever find guys on Hawken, hmm_ Gals don't play games, especially video games, right_ :P

EHEHEHHEHEHE. JUST KIDDING!

Edited by Silverfire, July 09 2013 - 06:31 PM.

Posted Image

Check out my new short film Prebirth: The Eternal War! Check out my e-peen!

Need to find a mech guide_ Well, look here!
Intel Core i3 2120 @ 3.30 GHz |  Corsair XMS3 8GB RAM | eVGA GTX 550Ti 1GB OC | Corsair CX600 PSU

#54 NYR0

NYR0

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted July 09 2013 - 06:55 PM

The guys are the ones that get distracted the most...usually in the form of rage.
Posted Image

#55 Siamenis

Siamenis

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • Locationinvading Zion

Posted July 10 2013 - 12:54 AM

Voted and awaiting further analysis :) Are you planning to make correlations between these variables, maybe even between others, independent variables that haven't been mentioned here_ It would also be nice to hear your conclusions on this, maybe just an outline, once the research is complete.
Posted Image

#56 Phaaze

Phaaze

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts
  • Location123 Mulburry St. Whoville Ontario Canada

Posted July 10 2013 - 07:52 AM

Depends for me, basic cursing at each other in a friendly way: nah

For me I just hate arrogance and people being total arse holes.

I suppose it comes down to the conitation really.  if one of my friends kills me via SS sniping i tell them to f-off in a friendly way and they laugh like hell and it is all good.  if someone is just ripping into someone and being a total dink then yeah they should be reported or have some way to discourage that kind of behaivior.

I hate sore winners aswell.

Would love to see more honor in this game rather then screaming noob and t-bagging anyone you kill.

my $0.02

#57 Glacius

Glacius

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • Locationnobody.

Posted July 11 2013 - 04:48 PM

The text chat has a filter and you can mute people in the voice chat. You told adhesive that you were 13 or older when you signed up, so you should be able to stifle your vomit through the leetspeak/badly misspelled profanity that the filter misses. If you can't, then i honestly don't know how you handle the
Posted Image.

Posted Image

#58 Nov8tr

Nov8tr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationIndpls, IN USA

Posted September 01 2013 - 09:44 PM

I would only report for racial or sexual slurs not "bad" language. I do not mean this offensive in any way but last I looked this was not Hello Kitty and we do not live in a Kindergarten class. Most kids are well versed in "foul language" in grade school. Some even before. It's not the same as it was years ago. I know, I'm 60. Hmm OK this is hard to give a example given the language filters on the forum. (another pet peeve of mine, I have a dad I don't need another, grin) If someone called me a fornicating buttocks hole I would assume I did something to make him angry. Like kill him more than once. I understand you are just trying to test the waters so I hope my answers have not offended you. None was meant. I tell people I won't lie to you. You may not like what I say, but I will tell you the truth. Most all my friends appreciate it, although some do get a funny look on their face sometimes, grin. :D As Voltaire once said. "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend you till death your right to say it."

YEAH I'M REALLY A 60 YR OLD GAMER. MY CALLSIGN IS PRONOUNCED INNOVATOR!!
Posted Image

#59 MRG74

MRG74

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted September 04 2013 - 05:44 AM

Most of us are adults here. Every other word out of our mouths does not need to be vulgar or expletive to get our point across. Sadly such unintelligent language is becoming the "norm" as our younger generation grows up. Nothing against our younger members or society in general. It's just that *most* of us older generation were taught better as youngsters.

OMG.. I'm sounding like the parent I am, only to a bunch of strangers!

Haha.. forgive me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users