HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Body Swapping Mech Appearance In Competitive Play_

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

Poll: Body Swapping Mech Appearance In Competitive Play_ (80 member(s) have cast votes)

Should body swapping be allowed in competitive play_

1. Yes (58 votes [72.50%])

Percentage of vote: 72.50%

2. No (22 votes [27.50%])

Percentage of vote: 27.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted April 08 2013 - 09:24 AM

View PostBeemann, on April 08 2013 - 09:12 AM, said:

I dont know about you, but I find the text and symbols in Hawken to be remarkably small and kinda blurry

Imagine being colorblind and having to run the game at a low resolution to get a decent framerate on a high-end AMD set up. Let me tell you something about illegibility :P
Posted Image

#42 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted April 08 2013 - 09:29 AM

View PostBeefsweat, on April 08 2013 - 09:24 AM, said:

Imagine being colorblind and having to run the game at a low resolution to get a decent framerate on a high-end AMD set up. Let me tell you something about illegibility :P
I've actually sorta been wondering about that. I know Tribes had a bunch of colourblind (red-green at least) friendly features, and I recognize that a lot of games will have a specific colourblind mode. I hope ADH plans to extent the same courtesy, and that they do it relatively soon

As for low framerates and low resolutions, I'm totally with you on that one :P
I have never had an issue running a game like I have with running Hawken.
Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#43 Scapes

Scapes

Former Community Manager

• Alpha Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted April 08 2013 - 09:35 AM

View Postandythebomb, on March 07 2013 - 10:58 PM, said:

I have played against some one who had 3 mechs that were all identically skinned to be the Sharp Shooter.
Brawler, Raider and Sharp Shooter. he had a serious advantage because I never knew what was going to come flying out of his guns.

The Technician Update coming this month elegantly addresses this issue by adding mech indicators (based on ability icons) to the HUD next to the in-game health and name.
"Nothing reveals humanity so well as the games it plays."

#44 Ryuronin

Ryuronin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted April 08 2013 - 10:28 AM

View PostScapes, on April 08 2013 - 09:35 AM, said:

I have played against some one who had 3 mechs that were all identically skinned to be the Sharp Shooter.
Brawler, Raider and Sharp Shooter. he had a serious advantage because I never knew what was going to come flying out of his guns.

The Technician Update coming this month elegantly addresses this issue by adding mech indicators (based on ability icons) to the HUD next to the in-game health and name.

Awesome. I'm glad the devs decided to utilize such a system instead of getting rid of what is the most awesome customization option in the game IMHO. Some of these chassis's are just awesome looking, and I'd be sad if I wasn't able to make my mechs look how I wanted.

|CR-T Recruit "bOOBtUBE"|Sharpshooter "Ronin"|Rocketeer "Razgriz"|Reaper "DeathScythe"|Bruiser "Tank"|Brawler "ThunderThighs"|
Posted Image
http://www.team-omen.com/default.html

#45 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted April 08 2013 - 10:35 AM

Is the technician the only one who's able to see these indicators_ Or does the technician's entire team see them_ I dunno if this has been asked/answered already.
Posted Image

#46 ShadowWarg

ShadowWarg

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,384 posts
  • LocationIn the shadows behind you

Posted April 08 2013 - 10:38 AM

View PostBeefsweat, on April 08 2013 - 10:35 AM, said:

Is the technician the only one who's able to see these indicators_ Or does the technician's entire team see them_ I dunno if this has been asked/answered already.
I'm pretty sure its universal for all players and classes.

#47 Ryuronin

Ryuronin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

I'm sure its a general game feature not a Technician ability specific one.

|CR-T Recruit "bOOBtUBE"|Sharpshooter "Ronin"|Rocketeer "Razgriz"|Reaper "DeathScythe"|Bruiser "Tank"|Brawler "ThunderThighs"|
Posted Image
http://www.team-omen.com/default.html

#48 Scapes

Scapes

Former Community Manager

• Alpha Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

All players will be able to see the mech indicators regardless of which mech they're piloting.

#49 Beemann

Beemann

Sentient Wall-of-Text

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,974 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted April 08 2013 - 10:45 AM

View PostScapes, on April 08 2013 - 10:38 AM, said:

All players will be able to see the mech indicators regardless of which mech they're piloting.
Will you guys be implementing colour-blind friendly features so that players who have trouble distinguishing the colour red can still pick it out even when it's placed against a relatively similar looking backdrop_

Can we also get larger indicators and in-game text_ I frequently misread names because they're basically a tiny blob of letters.

Finally, how will this deal with the issue of Sharpshooters not looking like Sharpshooters_ I often find that the targets at long range don't get marked at all on the HUD, and even the mid-range targets take too long to afford the target the opportunity to react, and thus half of the chassis swap issues would remain unsolved were this not to be fixed as well.

Not trying to ambush you with this or anything, these have just sorta been ongoing questions that I've had concerning the indicators since I saw the video that showed them

Edited by Beemann, April 08 2013 - 10:46 AM.

Posted Image

C-Class Swagger
Ballin' and Brawlin'
Cloakin' and Smokin'

#50 Scapes

Scapes

Former Community Manager

• Alpha Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted April 08 2013 - 10:57 AM

View PostBeemann, on April 08 2013 - 10:45 AM, said:

Will you guys be implementing colour-blind friendly features so that players who have trouble distinguishing the colour red can still pick it out even when it's placed against a relatively similar looking backdrop_

Can we also get larger indicators and in-game text_ I frequently misread names because they're basically a tiny blob of letters.

Finally, how will this deal with the issue of Sharpshooters not looking like Sharpshooters_ I often find that the targets at long range don't get marked at all on the HUD, and even the mid-range targets take too long to afford the target the opportunity to react, and thus half of the chassis swap issues would remain unsolved were this not to be fixed as well.

Not trying to ambush you with this or anything, these have just sorta been ongoing questions that I've had concerning the indicators since I saw the video that showed them

Currently, there aren't adjustable display options for the HUD. Providing feedback about this on the forums can change that.

The mech indicators scale with distance but should still be plenty visible, addressing perched Sharpshooters.

#51 nokari

nokari

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted April 08 2013 - 11:20 AM

I often find that the targets at long range don't get marked at all on the HUD, and even the mid-range targets take too long to afford the target the opportunity to react, and thus half of the chassis swap issues would remain unsolved were this not to be fixed as well.

Obviously long-range enemies shouldn't be auto-popping on your HUD because they're out of range of radar. If a sniper way off in the distance would just show up automatically, then you might as well be using a game hack. However, they will indeed show up in your HUD if you manage to put your crosshairs on them, so far out mechs are not invisible.
They could maybe increase the distance in which enemy mech info shows up in HUDs, but then you're heading towards a sort of situation where no one can hide and being a sniper has little tactical use, so there must be only a small increase, if at all.

As for identifying mechs, I think this solves the issue rather well. In the scenario of the guy with 3 different mechs all looking the same, the SS is the only one you'd have trouble seeing if it's off in the distance, otherwise all others still have to get rather close to be effective and at that point you're seeing their abilities in your HUD and can tell them apart.

You either react or you don't, whether you can see info above their mech or not. That's just how fast-paced CQC is. The fact is that the closer they'll get, the easier it will be to identify what they are, which is and always should be the case.

Edited by nokari, April 08 2013 - 11:25 AM.

Posted Image

#52 Beefsweat

Beefsweat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,845 posts
  • Locationsan diego, usa

Posted April 08 2013 - 11:53 AM

View PostScapes, on April 08 2013 - 10:57 AM, said:

Currently, there aren't adjustable display options for the HUD. Providing feedback about this on the forums can change that.

The mech indicators scale with distance but should still be plenty visible, addressing perched Sharpshooters.

Thanks for your replies. If I can break away from work and school long enough I'll try to do a comprehensive feedback post on things that could be tweaked/worked to make the game more colorblind-friendly. (Note: any input from other colorblind players would be helpful as well as I'm only afflicted by one type of it!)

Edited by Beefsweat, April 08 2013 - 11:54 AM.

Posted Image

#53 Xuande

Xuande

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • LocationShai Hulud

Posted April 08 2013 - 01:45 PM

View PostScapes, on April 08 2013 - 10:57 AM, said:

Hey Scapes, may I advise you to check out this thread_

https://community.pl...tor-pic-inside/

There are plenty of great HUD changes that many of us would like to see.
Ol' Betsy || CR-T Recruit   Jethro || Raider
Jim Bob || Beserker    Big Bertha || Brawler
Bubba || Bruiser            Billy-Bob || Technician
Bobby-Joe || Reaper
My name is pronounced (Shuahn-duuh) not (Juan-dee).

#54 KaszaWspraju

KaszaWspraju

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 922 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted April 13 2013 - 05:17 PM

Is monstrous "enemy sighted" maker will be fix in the next patch_

Edited by KaszaWspraju, April 13 2013 - 05:17 PM.

INTEL i5-4670K * ASUS Z87-A * GOODRAM DDR3 2x4GB * GIGABYTE GTX 760 OC rev 2.0 * X-Fi XTREME MUSIC * GRADO SR-60

SAMSUNG EVO 120GB * OCZ STEALTHXSTREAM 2 600W * Win 7 64
@ defekt : Mobility is King and burst damage is Queen. Checkmate.
Gdy byłem młodszy byłem bardziej beztroski... aha... nie lubię już POLSKI !

#55 Houruck

Houruck

Final Siege Boss

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,190 posts
  • LocationBudapest, Hungary (UTC+2)

Posted April 21 2013 - 11:00 AM

View PostKaszaWspraju, on April 13 2013 - 05:17 PM, said:

Is monstrous "enemy sighted" maker will be fix in the next patch_
I suppose you already know it is much better. :)

I like the ability icons on the HUD. I barely look at them during a fight but it is a nice touch. The tech's ability icon reminds me of the USB logo every time is see it. :)

Posted Image

Edited by Houruck, April 21 2013 - 11:00 AM.

Knight of the Holy Tree

CRITICAL ASSIST
United in Diversity, Divided by Zero

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Spoiler

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users