HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Game Update: 3/14/13 at 5:00 PM PDT (GMT-7)

Game News Patch

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#61 KBoogi

KBoogi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationSee that red dot on your forehead...yup...that's me. =P

Posted March 14 2013 - 07:31 PM

Well...because my rating is 1850...I can barely get into any more siege games......do I really need to handicap myself in order to be able to actually play on a server...without having to wait 20 minutes for an open slot_!

#62 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted March 14 2013 - 07:48 PM

I just played three back-to-back matches without a single instance of the disabled HUD/weapons bug appearing. Before the patch it was nearly constant.

I can play Hawken again! I will buy a round of beer for everyone responsible for this particular bugfix, from whoever found the repro to the code commits.

I am so happy, seriously.
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#63 machmanx

machmanx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted March 14 2013 - 08:32 PM

View Postalienguts, on March 14 2013 - 05:30 PM, said:

so prioritize people who play games all night as opposed to those who work all day and have money they are willing to pay during the few hours of the day they don't work.

Of course I'm biased on the subject, I work all day and I have a few hours in the evening during my workweek to play, most of which are being eaten up tonight by this patch. People like me who spend money on the game because we enjoy it don't have a full night to play. I have 4 hours.

I've never had the no HUD bug but I've heard a few people complain about it. Apparently they got it after repairing... then they repaired again and it went away or they died and it came back on re-spawn.

Of course people (like me) are gonna gripe about a prime time patch but there's really no justification for it, I'm not seeking that. I'm just trying to make the point that you will have a happier player base more willing to spend money if you accommodate their schedules instead of forcing them to accommodate yours...

I was about to pick up some meteor credits but when I couldn't log in I decided not to... just lost a sale.

"Oh, I have to work during the day and can only play during the evening, so patch it in the morning", "Ah, I have to work during the night and can only play during the morning, so please patch it during night", "Eee, my girlfriend got this sudden craze for shopping and I won't be able to play till night, so please patch during the day" , "Eh, I drank too much beer last night and have a hangover and will only be able to play at noon, so please patch before that", "My car broke down so I can't reach my computer" , "My dog ate my homework and I gotta rewrite it" , "Gotta go surfing in the afternoon", "My wife's having a baby" , "I have a headache and can't play". . . . excuses Excuses EXCUSES!!  GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE!  The world doesn't revolve around you.

In fact, I payed for the game too, including the vanguard package, and I play the game during mornings as I have 2nd shift.  So what about me_  Or what about the other guy who payed for the $60 vanguard package who works 3rd shift_  What about him_  POINT IS, you CANNOT assume that all or most of the paying members play at the same time you do.  In fact as a gamer, I'm pretty sure that most people play at night.  But there are a lot of ppl playing in the mornings too.  According to the devs, the servers are least populated during evening, so it makes the most sense to patch during the least crowded time.  It's a no-brainer.  They don't know when a paying customer is gonna play at evening, night, or morning.  And the same customers are not required to play at exactly the same time.  Today they can play during morning, tomorrow they can play at night.  What PROOF do you have that most of the paying members play when you do_  You don't, so shut up and stop whining.  This game isn't made just for you, it's made for EVERYONE, regardless of pay status.

Me Built PC | Win 8 Pro | AMD Phenom II X4 B60 | Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 (314.22) | 8GB DDR3
DESKTOP CLEAN Nvidia Driver Install | LAPTOP CLEAN Nvidia Driver Install | PhysX Helpful Info

#64 Elix

Elix

Good Guy Elix

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,228 posts
  • LocationFred's cockpit

Posted March 14 2013 - 08:49 PM

Also, alienguts, not everyone lives in the same timezone. Why do you get to be treated with priority when downtime would interrupt someone else's prime time play period_
HAWKEN Community Values (updated!)

ETA for $feature_you_want to be added to Hawken Open Beta: Imminent™
See someone breaking the rules_ Don't reply, just hit Report. I am a player, not staff.
Drinking game: Check the daily stats. If I'm not the top, DRINK! (I'm joking!)

#65 Vortiene

Vortiene

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted March 14 2013 - 11:01 PM

So i can only join either the test maps or the advanced matches where i get my rear end handed to me by the advanced team who is winning the game thus everyone else is leaving the match_ Yes, I will wait until you increase the matchup range once again before playing the game...it isn't fun that I have 2 games i can join because I have a high rank. There's not enough servers in the game in the first place, I don't want to be stuck fighting the 24 people i avoid specifically because they are extremely good at the game and cause aggravation when I play against them.

The previous range was way too much (could join matches where I would simply dominate every time), but it's too restrictive (in my eyes) to high ranked people. Playing the game for a long time and becoming good at it should continue being enjoyable, not limit my options. I have 2 advanced games open other than the test matches, and these are filled with a single team that is ridiculously stacked and 5 poor saps that are losing horribly to them.

Edited by Vortiene, March 14 2013 - 11:07 PM.

#66 Agile

Agile

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted March 15 2013 - 12:57 AM

View Postalienguts, on March 14 2013 - 05:12 PM, said:

why update when the people who have money and jobs are off work and want to spend money and play... why not update in the middle of the night when less players are online...

I especially sympathize for those who bought boosts and don't have all day to play, and are being robbed of their playtime with a prime-time patch that is taking longer than anticipated.

No matter when the update is taking place, there's always a group of people somewhere around the globe that are being "robbed of playtime". Not everybody that plays Hawken lives in the US...

#67 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted March 15 2013 - 01:23 AM

Excellent, thanks for the update! :D

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#68 stallion

stallion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationBelgrade, Serbia

Posted March 15 2013 - 01:50 AM

we're only waiting for test servers in each major region now.
keep on the good work!

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

Posted Image

#69 grree

grree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts
  • LocationPerú

Posted March 15 2013 - 04:48 AM

Hi I have one problem ends 40.5mb download the patch and applying it when it appears near the end "source file as corrutep"could anyone help_ please I can not enter the game T.T

Edited by grree, March 15 2013 - 04:49 AM.

/>grree////Atlantica Online///Hawken///Metal Rage</

Posted Image

"---- walk does not mean time passes ----"

#70 The_Silencer

The_Silencer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,266 posts
  • LocationStyx.

Posted March 15 2013 - 06:11 AM

View Postgrree, on March 15 2013 - 04:48 AM, said:

Hi I have one problem ends 40.5mb download the patch and applying it when it appears near the end "source file as corrutep"could anyone help_ please I can not enter the game T.T

Hey there, grree. Submit a ticket in the Support page. Also, we're trying to help you with this issue you're having in the ES clan page. Additionally you may also post on the support forum branch.

Also you may check this other possible solution/procedure which has been posted by SS396 in here.

Hope this helps.

Edited by The_Silencer, March 15 2013 - 06:15 AM.

Posted Image

"The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice"

#71 DaPheel

DaPheel

EXPLOSIONS_

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts
  • LocationU.K.

Posted March 15 2013 - 06:23 AM

Never had the H.U.D. bug, but it's good to see a constant stream of updates / tweaks.

Keep up the good work!
Posted Image"OFFICIAL SHIELD BEARER"
Spoiler

#72 stallion

stallion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • LocationBelgrade, Serbia

Posted March 15 2013 - 08:19 AM

oh btw, regardless of mmr rating changes, people with low ranking enter high ranking games through quick match... complete nonsense

On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero.

Posted Image

#73 Kaelek

Kaelek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationSomewhere Not Being Able To Play Hawken

Posted March 15 2013 - 08:28 AM

Hey Scapes, your change is forcing me to quit the game entirely. Thanks for the update! Please read below:

My player score is 1890 and I guess they decreased the difference between scores for you to join the server... Now my servers list is like 75% blacked out because the games are mostly 1400 - 1600. So my choices of servers is almost nothing and I can't even join any servers right now because all the servers at my level are currently full... this really blows BIG TIME. I have posted this same message in several different places because I am totally freaking out...

I usually play TDM or DM, occasionally siege, and rarely missile assault. But with the new blockouts I can only play on about two TDM servers, one to zero DM servers, one or two siege games, and maybe one missile assault game. Basically, I am blocked from roughly 85 to 90% of games because of my skill rating, which I find to be incredibly unfair. I haven't even been able to play Hawken today for more than ten minutes because the game I was in fell apart and died, then I couldn't find another server to play on as a result. Then, in desperation, I used the match making system and it made a new game, but after waiting 10 minutes, only one other person showed up, so I quit (Or rather Ragequit) the game. Game Over for today I guess. Hopefully they will fix this, if not, I doubt I'll be playing very much Hawken in the future. Although, I still haven't played Borderlands 2, so I guess I'll give that a shot while I'm waiting for a fix. :( I'm going to stop complaining now because I've been doing it all morning and haven't seen any results

So basically either I lower my skill rating on purpose, or I am blocked from almost ALL games. This is incredibly unfair, because obviously since it is a rating system, above average players are not as numerous because they are ABOVE the AVERAGE. Especially, when you are getting into the 1900s to 2000s like myself. So, that is going to be a very small percentage of the players and they will be unable to play in the VAST majority of games.

FIX:

Change it to +-500 or at least 400 for people above skill rating 1800 - 1850, and if that person is 1450 - 1650, they get a large underdog bonus and faster increase for their skill rating for killing the 1700 - 2000 player. You cannot hold everyone's hand forever, eventually you will have to let go. I think the +- 200 makes a lot of sense for new players or just simply below average players, but you cannot basically punish people for doing well in the game by limiting them to 4 to 6 games tops that they can join, which obviously are going to be always full for the most part. PLEASE try to make this change, or I won't be able to play this game anymore, and not because I don't like the game but simply because I can't find any games to join.

Edit: Here is an SS of the vast amount of servers I can join, <cough> and notice it's ALL the USA servers. From this list there are 3 games I can join possibly that actually have people in them out of oh maybe 25 or 30 servers: http://postimage.org/image/40vohbpil/ and here:   http://postimage.org/image/umx638uxb/ I would also like to say, not that it matters, but I have spent more than $100 on this game for making all my mechs look unique and cool, plus double experience and hawken pts is nice to have as well. The main reason I have spent this kind of money though is to finance the development of this great game. I just hope that the devs will see some reason in our comments and help out the advanced players.

Edited by Kaelek, March 15 2013 - 10:37 AM.

fuzzy bunny

#74 KBoogi

KBoogi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationSee that red dot on your forehead...yup...that's me. =P

Posted March 15 2013 - 09:38 AM

View PostKaelek, on March 15 2013 - 08:28 AM, said:

Hey Scapes, your change is forcing me to quit the game entirely. Thanks for the update! Please read below:

My player score is 1890 and I guess they decreased the difference between scores for you to join the server... Now my servers list is like 75% blacked out because the games are mostly 1400 - 1600. So my choices of servers is almost nothing and I can't even join any servers right now because all the servers at my level are currently full... this really blows BIG TIME. I have posted this same message in several different places because I am totally freaking out...

I usually play TDM or DM, occasionally siege, and rarely missile assault. But with the new blockouts I can only play on about two TDM servers, one to zero DM servers, one or two siege games, and maybe one missile assault game. Basically, I am blocked from roughly 85 to 90% of games because of my skill rating, which I find to be incredibly unfair. I haven't even been able to play Hawken today for more than ten minutes because the game I was in fell apart and died, then I couldn't find another server to play on as a result. Then, in desperation, I used the match making system and it made a new game, but after waiting 10 minutes, only one other person showed up, so I quit (Or rather Ragequit) the game. Game Over for today I guess. Hopefully they will fix this, if not, I doubt I'll be playing very much Hawken in the future. Although, I still haven't played Borderlands 2, so I guess I'll give that a shot while I'm waiting for a fix. :( I'm going to stop complaining now because I've been doing it all morning and haven't seen any results

So basically either I lower my skill rating on purpose, or I am blocked from almost ALL games. This is incredibly unfair, because obviously since it is a rating system, above average players are not as numerous because they are ABOVE the AVERAGE. Especially, when you are getting into the 1900s to 2000s like myself. So, that is going to be a very small percentage of the players and they will be unable to play in the VAST majority of games.

FIX:

Change it to +-500 or at least 400 for people above skill rating 1800 - 1850, and if that person is 1450 - 1650, they get a large underdog bonus and faster increase for their skill rating for killing the 1700 - 2000 player. You cannot hold everyone's hand forever, eventually you will have to let go. I think the +- 200 makes a lot of sense for new players or just simply below average players, but you cannot basically punish people for doing well in the game by limiting them to 4 to 6 games tops that they can join, which obviously are going to be always full for the most part. PLEASE try to make this change, or I won't be able to play this game anymore, and not because I don't like the game but simply because I can't find any games to join.

Some very valid points...I don't want to play on overseas servers...please take this into consideration....

#75 Manoloco

Manoloco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted March 15 2013 - 10:12 AM

I had the same problem, after the patch most servers were unreachable for me, just protect the beginners servers if needed, medium can handle advanced, they have whined because of the existance of a level isolation measure, when this policy didnt exist mostly new players complained.

I still  dont think its such a good idea to isolate, because beginners will learn less, some wont even acknowledge the use of internals and other purchasable items and since they will do ok in a server where everyone plays in the same level, they all have and use the CRT which comes almost fully equipped, there will be less interest in improving (most people react this way), they will not delve deeper into the game and some interesting stuff will definitely be overlooked.

player isolation results:

- less skill development on pilots
- less purchase of items and mechs (less use or need for hawken credits or meteor credits)
- less possibilites of servers for all

cap range should only exist in beginners servers if at all, the rest should be open servers, like i said medium can handle advanced, and they learn from them, action FPS games work because people that look for them like the action and difficulty, they might whine and complain in the beginning but its always been like that, they stay and keep playing and improve, and the complaining ceases and they feel the sense of achievement in every improvement they do in the game.

But if you restrict and lock servers, you will DEFINITELY will have less people playing, specially the ones that have been with you guys since the beginning, im sure you will not overlook your gamers fidelity, specially since lots of the advanced players have been supporting you both in testing stuff and economically

Edited by Manoloco, March 15 2013 - 10:22 AM.

#76 bluebaron201

bluebaron201

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationBuffalo, NY

Posted March 15 2013 - 12:52 PM

View Postgrree, on March 15 2013 - 04:48 AM, said:

I had the same problem. My gut instinct from gaming is the moment I see "corrupted" I just uninstall and reinstall the entire game. Which is what I am doing at the moment.

Good luck!

#77 _Caffeine_

_Caffeine_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted March 15 2013 - 12:59 PM

GG on the patch devs.

Sucked playing this morning outside of prime time and not being able to find an ongoing game of my preferred mode.

But the tdm games I were in last night were fuzzy bunny awesome.  Lots of high level players on both sides, close games,  and intense fights.   I think my butt hole just now un-clinched.

When the population is online to support the tighter ranking range for servers it is a great experience.   Off peak hours however it is frustrating for higher ranked players.  I'm sure though that the beginner-medium bracket will appreciate not getting stomped which is great for the game and player retention which will lead to a greater population and a larger pool of players of all skill levels.

/highfive

#78 _Caffeine_

_Caffeine_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted March 15 2013 - 12:59 PM

-delete-

Edited by _Caffeine_, March 15 2013 - 01:54 PM.

#79 _Caffeine_

_Caffeine_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted March 15 2013 - 12:58 PM

-delete-

#80 _Caffeine_

_Caffeine_

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted March 15 2013 - 01:00 PM

-delete-

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Game, News, Patch

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users