HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Hawken Graphic Novel/Digital Confusion_

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

Poll: Hawken Genesis: Physical or Digital Copy... (26 member(s) have cast votes)

Which are you more likely to purchase_

1. Physical Copy (20 votes [76.92%])

Percentage of vote: 76.92%

2. Digital Download (6 votes [23.08%])

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

What do you find the term "Graphic Novel" to represent_

1. Physical Copy (12 votes [46.15%])

Percentage of vote: 46.15%

2. Digital Download (2 votes [7.69%])

Percentage of vote: 7.69%

3. I'm not sure if it means Physical or Digital (12 votes [46.15%])

Percentage of vote: 46.15%

How do you prefer to read a comic_

1. Newspaper {Sunday Funnies/Daily Contribution} (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Paperback {Traditional Comic Book} (6 votes [23.08%])

Percentage of vote: 23.08%

3. Digest {A Compilation of Various Short Stories/Comic Vignettes (ie:Archie)} (1 votes [3.85%])

Percentage of vote: 3.85%

4. Hard Cover (14 votes [53.85%])

Percentage of vote: 53.85%

5. Online (5 votes [19.23%])

Percentage of vote: 19.23%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Spliff_Craven

Spliff_Craven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted March 20 2013 - 02:50 PM

Maybe I'm reading too much into it but then again maybe I'm not:

My Comixology Email Stated:

You’ve downloaded HAWKEN: GENESIS #4 on comiXology, now go here and use this code HAWKENGGN to receive 50% off the HAWKEN: GENESIS graphic novel!
In addition, don’t forget to redeem this code xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx for 5,000 HAWKEN credits at playhawken.com – the free-to-play online video game! This currency can be used to buy items, upgrades and accessories for your mech.
So, get the HAWKEN: GENESIS digital first graphic novel with your coupon code and enjoy customizing and upgrading your mechs with your free currency! Then, join your friends on the battlefield!

I read it that Comixology is not selling a Physical Copy of Genesis only the Digital Download.

The conflicting points:
  • You’ve downloaded HAWKEN: GENESIS #4 on comiXology, now go here and use this code HAWKENGGN to receive 50% off the HAWKEN: GENESIS graphic novel!
  • ...get the HAWKEN: GENESIS digital first graphic novel with your coupon code...
I went to the checkout and it clearly stated at the 3rd step in the purchase process:
  • I understand that I am purchasing digital comics to read on iPhone, iPad, Android, Kindle Fire, the Web or Windows 8.
That is a confusing and dirty trick.

I already have the 4 Free Downloads.
Why would I pay for it if I already have it_

I believed that the code provided would allow me to purchase a physical book that would be sent to my address.
I do not have a Physical Copy of the Graphic novel. THIS IS WHAT I WANTED - A PHYSICAL COPY.

Am I wrong in my interpretation_ If so sorry for the post.

If not...
Point me in the direction of a PHYSICAL COPY from a legitimate source to buy.

Edited by Spliff_Craven, March 20 2013 - 03:01 PM.

#2 ShadowGTR

ShadowGTR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted March 20 2013 - 02:59 PM

Looks like its still up for pre-order. But here are a few places you can pre-order it from.

http://www.archaia.c...atalog#id-10164

http://www.amazon.co...n graphic novel

http://www.barnesand...n=9781936393923

Posted Image

#3 SS396

SS396

Kernel Panic

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted March 20 2013 - 03:04 PM

I think the person who comes up with the "special codes" needs to a little more creative.

Hrrm, I need a code for the next convention, oh ok, lets just use the word "HAWKEN" and then add the first letters of the name, yeah that will work, and nobody will be able to guess it.  :P

HAWKEN + C2E2 (Chicago Comic and Entertainment Convention)

HAWKEN + E3 (Electronic Entertainment Expo)

HAWKEN + SDCC (San Diego Comic Convention)

HAWKEN + GC (GamesCom)

HAWKEN + PAXPRIME (Penny Arcade Expo: Prime)

HAWKEN + NYCC (New York Comic Convention)

HAWKEN + LCG (Lucca Comics and Games)

# while true; do echo "Post"; done

#4 Scapes

Scapes

Former Community Manager

• Alpha Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted March 20 2013 - 03:27 PM

As mentioned earlier, the preview issues do not cover all of the content in the graphic novel.

View PostSS396, on March 20 2013 - 03:04 PM, said:

I think the person who comes up with the "special codes" needs to a little more creative.

These codes were intentionally made this way so they'd be easy to memorize and share with others either at the show or after. Codes for future events will now become available as the event's news post is made live.
"Nothing reveals humanity so well as the games it plays."

#5 Spliff_Craven

Spliff_Craven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted March 20 2013 - 04:06 PM

My problem is with the definition of GRAPHIC NOVEL:
  • 50% off the HAWKEN: GENESIS graphic novel!
It led me to believe I was able to purchase the physical book as illustrated on the following page: Posted Image

Clearly it shows a Physical Book that could be interpreted as a Graphic Novel.
Which could also be construed as the final version of the Graphic Novel.

Which one could interpret the Digital "Teasers" released were a promotional stunt to get the Physical Book sold.

I will note:
  • The digital version of HAWKEN: Genesis will be available for purchase from comiXology beginning March 20
Is also written on the aforementioned page.

However, the Physical Book image and use of Graphic Novel leave a powerful impression that a Physical Book Is what you will be purchasing not a Digital version/E-book

I ordered through amazon thanks to ShadowGTR see below :)

Archaia offers an exclusive 10000HC code when you pre-purchase through them at full price. all other pre-purchases appear to be 50% off

View PostShadowGTR, on March 20 2013 - 02:59 PM, said:

Looks like its still up for pre-order. But here are a few places you can pre-order it from.

http://www.archaia.c...atalog#id-10164

http://www.amazon.co...n graphic novel

http://www.barnesand...n=9781936393923

For those that were as confused as I was; I hope this clarifies a GRAPHIC NOVEL purchase from comiXology is only a Digital one not a Physical Book.

#6 Guiotine

Guiotine

Mech Collector

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts
  • Locationsomewhere between Illal and Eorzea

Posted March 20 2013 - 04:55 PM

View PostSpliff_Craven, on March 20 2013 - 02:50 PM, said:

• You’ve downloaded HAWKEN: GENESIS #4 on comiXology, now go here and use this code HAWKENGGN to receive 50% off the HAWKEN: GENESIS graphic novel!
  • ...get the HAWKEN: GENESIS digital first graphic novel with your coupon code...

When I saw this here, I assumed that they forgot the word "digital" in the first bullet point, as it says in the second bullet point the code is specifically for the digital graphic novels. Mostly because I expected a digital graphic novel site would not advertise a hardcover graphic novel. :P

I understand how the misunderstanding can be made, though. They really could have done a lot better with the mail. I still haven't received mine though. :(

On another note, it seems to me a lot of people think what was on comixology for free were not previews of the graphic novels, but the novels themselves.

On another another note, I voted the 3rd option in question 2 and the online option in question three, but for me It's really "both" and "I don't really care" respectively. :P

Edited by Guiotine, March 20 2013 - 04:55 PM.

ReachH said:

I dub thee, Guiotine, 'Coloxxen, the mech pokemon'

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on July 02 2013 - 03:18 PM, said:

This wall of text gets the AJK Seal of Approval.

#7 NeloDiavolo

NeloDiavolo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted March 20 2013 - 06:29 PM

Being that Comixology is a digital only website, I just assumed that the discount would be for a digital copy. My first impression being that I never used Comixology before hearing about this deal.

#8 Aims

Aims

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted March 20 2013 - 09:39 PM

Ah damn it, I had also assumed that the 50% off was for a physical copy.

So when can we actually purchase a physical book_

#9 Incriminated

Incriminated

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted March 21 2013 - 04:17 AM

Well i dont buy any.

They fooled my on registering their page.
Now I receive spam, but didn't receive any redeem code.
Support mails do not reach them or get answered, tried many times.

They ignore me.
"scared to death, scared to look, they shook, 'cause ain't no such things as halfway crooks"

#10 Saturnine

Saturnine

The Brawler Herder

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,676 posts
  • LocationTallinn, Estonia

Posted March 21 2013 - 05:29 AM

I personally didn't get confused at any point by the process - it seemed clear to me, reading the Comixology page it was made obvious it was a digital novel reading service with all the information on the apps on all the various devices I could read it on, which is fine, a lot of the books I read now are on my kindle, and are thus digital. However, I like physical copies of books whenever I can get them, so I decided not to take advantage of the Comixology promotion and instead ordered a hardcover copy off of Amazon. I'll be getting it much later now, of course, due to demand, the need to ship, etc, but it doesn't bother me either way.

As to the definition of graphic novel.. A lot of the comics I do read are graphic novels... and I access them all through web pages or other digital means. I don't own, nor have I read a physical graphic novel since middle school. I read plenty of regular novels off of web pages and other digital media as well - though, again, I do prefer physical copies when it's not too inconvenient to get them.

This is not to say I don't understand the misunderstanding people've been having from a cursory look at the Comixology page, though I do believe in buyer beware, and think everyone should take a close look at the product they are sending money to someone for. If I were upset that I decided the nice Nigerian prince who sent me an email about needing to send me a few million dollars didn't pan out... Well.

Those looking to buy the physical book - ever since I saw the initial promotion for the digital copy several months back, it's been available in hardcover for order on Amazon. I even ordered it far later than it was initially made available - hence the aforementioned longer wait I have to deal with, and I didn't exactly pay a premium for that copy, either, I believe it was 40 or 50% off when I got it, which was definitely cheap enough for me. Just go to it's Amazon page and order it there - their estimate may even be off for delivery and you'll get a nice early surprise! Can't guarantee that, though.

The physical copy will likely be more expensive than the digital, though. If anyone is surprised by that, please let me know where I can get good physical copies of books for less money than I pay for the digital copies so I can buy all my future books from there, thanks in advance! :D

Re: Previews: I read it as exactly that - previews. I can't think of a time a set of previews for an upcoming release constituted the sum total of the content being previewed. I honestly don't quite know how people got confused that a set of 4 previews was the whole book. Guess I don't have to see the upcoming Star Trek movie anymore, I already saw it's preview!

Edited by Saturnine, March 21 2013 - 05:30 AM.

Posted Image

digitalhughes: @s9 you stinkn' weasel!

Don't know which mech to pilot_ Check out my guide to the mechs!

Want to hang out with some awesome people, including ReEvolve, Ashfire908, Rei, ThirdEyE, and even the world-famous Loc_Tr_ Come to the #hawkenscrim IRC!

#11 FussyBadger

FussyBadger

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 566 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted March 21 2013 - 05:58 AM

I didn't find it confusing, but I did take a few seconds to read. Having downloaded the previews of Comixology, which are what entitle you to the discount in the first place, I also understood how that service operated.

The four previews add up to about 1/4-1/3 of the total end product. When you can get the end product for a whopping $4 or so, after 50% discount, that's a deal I'm satisfied with. After all, new comics (~20-30 pages total) are often $3.99 on Comixology. I'm getting 2-3x that much new content for the same price.

#12 Spliff_Craven

Spliff_Craven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted March 21 2013 - 09:16 PM

Pre-order at Amazon and Barnes and Noble are about $10 for the Physical Book.

The pre-order at Archaia is full price at $20 but contains a 10000HC code {Physical Book}

Everyone has a preference.
Some people prefer an e-reader or online viewing.

I love the smell of a new book when you open the box, then hold the book turn the pages while listening to music.
Sometimes it ends up as a coffee table piece or ends up in my personal library.
The best part of a physical book is when you are finished enjoying your book you can trade or sell it to a used book store so someone else can enjoy your treasure and you can pick up something else!

#13 Guiotine

Guiotine

Mech Collector

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts
  • Locationsomewhere between Illal and Eorzea

Posted March 21 2013 - 10:34 PM

View PostIncriminated, on March 21 2013 - 04:17 AM, said:

Well i dont buy any.

They fooled my on registering their page.
Now I receive spam, but didn't receive any redeem code.
Support mails do not reach them or get answered, tried many times.

They ignore me.

You know, I was the same, then I checked my comixology profile to find the "I agree to receive promotions and etc, etc, etc" box was not checked. I checked it, sent in a support email, and all was good. :D

ReachH said:

I dub thee, Guiotine, 'Coloxxen, the mech pokemon'

View PostAsianJoyKiller, on July 02 2013 - 03:18 PM, said:

This wall of text gets the AJK Seal of Approval.

#14 Spliff_Craven

Spliff_Craven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted April 04 2013 - 10:24 PM

:D My physical book is in the mail! YAY! :D

I can hardly wait to turn those fresh crisp pages...

#15 tman7919

tman7919

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationIn the garage with my Bruiser

Posted April 04 2013 - 10:42 PM

View PostSpliff_Craven, on April 04 2013 - 10:24 PM, said:

:D My physical book is in the mail! YAY! :D

I can hardly wait to turn those fresh crisp pages...
Read the dang hard copy three times over. So good... I also have a second copy to giveaway.
Bruiser or Bust! (Why do I have a raider in this picture_)
Posted Image
My Youtube With Hawken Videos   Hawken Fan-fiction

#16 Spliff_Craven

Spliff_Craven

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,237 posts

Posted April 09 2013 - 03:25 PM

Yay me! I just got my physical book delivered today!

ALMOST 2 WEEKS EARLY!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users