HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

Idea for a New Mech - The Pain Painter

Community Forum Patch Preview Beta Project

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 The8BitFox

The8BitFox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted March 31 2013 - 02:23 PM

Name: Painter_
Class: A
Primary: EOC Repeater
Secondary: Tag Beam
Ability: Sneak

===== Primary Weapons =====

Default: EOC Repeater
Alternate: AM-SAR Heat Cannon
Prestige: Seeker

View PostFrouste, on March 31 2013 - 06:58 PM, said:

EOC and HEAT_  I'd think EOC, AM-SAR, and Seeker.

===== Secondary Weapon =====

New Weapon!

Tag Beam
Travel Time: Hitscan
Damage: Just less than Slug Rifle
Range: 100+
Rate of Fire: Same as Sabot
Heat: 6/10 of gauge (prevent XP spam)

Cannot fire when unscoped.

This class is able to tag enemies with it's secondary weapon - the Tag Beam.
The tag beam inflicts NO DAMAGE VERY LITTLE DAMAGE.

View Post-Tj-, on March 31 2013 - 08:12 PM, said:

The Tag Beam should also do some damage, even if it's not a lot, a little less than what a Slug Rifle does.

Instead, it 'tags' any enemy it hits.

A tagged enemy;

Always shows up on the radar. And instead of being circular, has a directional arrow - also red, around the red dot that normally shows up on radar. The directional arrow uses the same design as teammate arrows, but red.

Takes 25% more damage.

Is locked onto immediately with homing weapons.

The "lock immediately" conflicts with the 25% damage bonus. It should either get the damage bonus OR lock immediately, not both.

The effects of tagging lasts 30 seconds. (Previously 60 seconds)

60 seconds is also a bit long. Scuffles happen a lot quicker than 60 seconds, so the opportunity for the same player to get painted again in that amount of time is pretty high. That could be used to constantly spam the top player in any game, or even if someone recognizes the player name, and that would just cause a lot of anger. It'd be similar to the EMP debate back when the effective radius and effect time were a lot bigger. I think something like 15 seconds would be better.

Only one target can be tagged at a time by each painter. The effects of tagging DO NOT STACK. If a painter attempts to tag a currently tagged target, it replaces the current tag, effectively increasing its duration by another 60 seconds.

View PostXuande, on March 31 2013 - 08:26 PM, said:

I don't see much usefulness if the Painter can only tag one mech at a time. Maybe two or three at any given moment, however, with each additional mech tagged, the damage bonus goes down.

Painters are credited with 10 XP for tagging an enemy.

They are also given 25 XP if an enemy mech is destroyed whilst under the effects of a tag by that painter.

===== Sneak =====

Sneak stops the Painter from showing up on enemy Mini-Map, even when firing or moving.
UNLESS they are tagged by an enemy painter.

This allows the Painter to tag enemies from behind enemy lines, or get to points on the map that require boosting or jumping without being noticed.

===== Look =====

I have in mind a very formal and clean looking mech, one that says I'm rich and don't want to get my hands dirty, but I also want it to look like the pilot is smart at the same time.

===============

So, tell me what you think to the idea, I think this kind of support class would be really cool to see in game.

Edited by The8BitFox, April 01 2013 - 02:17 AM.

Posted Image

I'll see you on the battlefield. You won't see me.

#2 The_Eldritch_Abomination

The_Eldritch_Abomination

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts
  • LocationDATA REDACTED

Posted March 31 2013 - 03:03 PM

Not a bad idea. It reminds me a bit of the upcoming 'Technician' support mech.

Though I wonder how this will work in deathmatch... :huh:
< TEXT-FIELD >

#3 tman7919

tman7919

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationIn the garage with my Bruiser

Posted March 31 2013 - 03:51 PM

The only thing I fear for this type of mech is death match because it seems like it cannot hold itself up. Otherwise a pretty solid idea.
Bruiser or Bust! (Why do I have a raider in this picture_)
Posted Image
My Youtube With Hawken Videos   Hawken Fan-fiction

#4 Masadeer

Masadeer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted March 31 2013 - 04:29 PM

well we all know EOC is pretty insane if you know how to use it, and the tag increases damage........ so yeah i can see this holding it's own in cqc. as for a name... how about noblesse_

Edited by Masadeer, March 31 2013 - 04:32 PM.

#5 Frouste

Frouste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted March 31 2013 - 06:58 PM

The secondaries seem like they have to deal some damage to be viable; a tracking beacon launcher perhaps_
EOC and HEAT_  I'd think EOC, AM-SAR, and Seeker, not in that order, but let it have fire support weapons only.

Or better yet, make the EOC the secondary, then alter the EOC so that it launches tracking beacons to the mecha they hit instead of actually dealing explosive damage.  Charging the gun allows the weapon to further program the puck to track the mecha's direction, but at half the time.  Firing it mid-charge will revert the puck to default behavior.
"... And I gazed once more unto the looking glass, but with a clear and unclouded will..."

#6 -Tj-

-Tj-

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted March 31 2013 - 08:12 PM

When I saw the title I thought, "holy fuzzy bunny, did this guy see the same dream I did last night_" I had this dream that they introduced an actual "painting" mech. Instead of bullets, it shot paintballs. You could literally blind an opponent by gooing up their cockpit so they couldn't see. :lol:

Sounds like an interesting idea, but some parts I'm not too keen on.

The "lock immediately" part conflicts with the 25% damage bonus in my head. In addition to the painted target being called out, it seems like this would potentially just piss people off as opposed to being a genuinely good tactical mech. I think it should either get the damage bonus OR lock immediately, not both.

Sneak seems a lot like the Infil's cloak, without the cloak. Kind of neat, but I think it should have a bit more ability than just taking itself off radar, and be more unique. Maybe it takes you off radar AND makes a painted mech always appear on the HUD as well, even through walls and such. Or maybe what it could do instead of cloaking is make the painted mech appear on all players' HUDs (friend and foe alike) and give the 25% damage bonus during the duration of the tag. This way, enemy players would know who to shoot, and allies of the tagged mech can assist, which might be especially good since the healer mech is coming, and that deplyable wall as well.

(Edit: on second thought, the "appear on all player's HUDs (friend and foe alike)" part wouldn't work so great in DM, so maybe just friend)

Given the "sneaky painter" characteristic of this mech, I'd like to see it get some kind of new list of weapons + one old one, as opposed to all recycled primaries. Something like a higher ROF Seeker that does less damage per shot, but locks faster when the target is painted, a "glow rifle" that maybe fires similarly to the AM-SAR with rounds that glow for a moment when they hit to indicate a target a Painter is focusing on and do "poison" damage during the glow period, with maybe the EOC as a prestige unlock.

Or how about an actual Paintball Cannon_ BLIND THEMMM :D

The Tag Beam should also do some damage, even if it's not a lot. I can't think of numbers off the top of my head, but something like 25% of what a direct-hit TOW would do, or maybe what a little less than what a Slug Rifle does. 60 seconds is also a bit long. Scuffles happen a lot quicker than 60 seconds, so the opportunity for the same player to get painted again in that amount of time is pretty high. That could be used to constantly spam the top player in any game, or even if someone recognizes the player name, and that would just cause a lot of anger. It'd be similar to the EMP debate back when the effective radius and effect time were a lot bigger. I think something like 15 seconds would be better.

Another idea: a dual-mode Tag Rifle. Let's say it does a little less damage than a Slug Rifle and fires similarly, but when in Tag mode it fires minimal-damage Tag Bolts. If you wanted to give this mech a little more skill to play, you could have the Tag Bolts fire at a slower rate of travel, meaning the player would actually have to learn to lead the target at a distance.

I imagine this would be a Class A mech.

Cool idea, I'm already playing one in my head with some of the above specs and it seems fun. :)

Edited by -Tj-, March 31 2013 - 08:13 PM.

#7 Xuande

Xuande

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 478 posts
  • LocationShai Hulud

Posted March 31 2013 - 08:26 PM

This is an awesome idea OP. Though I don't see much usefulness if the Painter can only tag one mech at a time. Maybe two or three at any given moment, however, with each additional mech tagged, the damage bonus goes down. I would also bump up the 60 seconds to 90.

This was pretty creative OP. GJ.
Ol' Betsy || CR-T Recruit   Jethro || Raider
Jim Bob || Beserker    Big Bertha || Brawler
Bubba || Bruiser            Billy-Bob || Technician
Bobby-Joe || Reaper
My name is pronounced (Shuahn-duuh) not (Juan-dee).

#8 The8BitFox

The8BitFox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted April 01 2013 - 01:36 AM

View PostXuande, on March 31 2013 - 08:26 PM, said:

This is an awesome idea OP. Though I don't see much usefulness if the Painter can only tag one mech at a time. Maybe two or three at any given moment, however, with each additional mech tagged, the damage bonus goes down. I would also bump up the 60 seconds to 90.

This was pretty creative OP. GJ.

Thanks! I didn't want to give too much of an incentive to spam everyone with tags, but I can see where you're coming from.
A decrease in the damage bonus is a neat idea, I'll add your post in as a quote.

Posted Image

#9 The8BitFox

The8BitFox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted April 01 2013 - 01:41 AM

View PostFrouste, on March 31 2013 - 06:58 PM, said:

The secondaries seem like they have to deal some damage to be viable; a tracking beacon launcher perhaps_
EOC and HEAT_  I'd think EOC, AM-SAR, and Seeker, not in that order, but let it have fire support weapons only.

Or better yet, make the EOC the secondary, then alter the EOC so that it launches tracking beacons to the mecha they hit instead of actually dealing explosive damage.  Charging the gun allows the weapon to further program the puck to track the mecha's direction, but at half the time.  Firing it mid-charge will revert the puck to default behavior.

A good point about having EOC and Heat, I'll remove Heat. Having EOC as secondary seems a bit too wild, and also the reason the Tag Beam is secondary is because it is the unchangeable weapon slot. If I made the EOC secondary, a player would be stuck with it, even if they didn't like it.

Edited by The8BitFox, April 01 2013 - 01:47 AM.

Posted Image

#10 Taw_Archangel

Taw_Archangel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted April 01 2013 - 02:05 AM

I like it. Much better than the technician... Can we put you in charge of the new mechs_ :P
I am known as a few names. Sicarius_X, PilotError, and Archangel. Also, C-class master race ;)
Posted Image

#11 The8BitFox

The8BitFox

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted April 01 2013 - 05:29 AM

View PostTaw_Archangel, on April 01 2013 - 02:05 AM, said:

I like it. Much better than the technician... Can we put you in charge of the new mechs_ :P

I thank you for your compliments, I'd love to help out with the new mechs, but I'm not sure the Meteor Staff would want my help:

Meteor Staff: So here's a concept we've been toying with for a while, we call it the Raider.

Me: There's only one problem with this mech.

Meteor Staff: Yes, well it's still under development, what is it that needs fixing_

Me: You spelt Scout wrong, used the wrong symbol for Fuel Reserves, someone put building foam on the TOW and the Mini-Flak looks more like a tin can. Oh, and it's too big for an A-Class.

Posted Image

#12 Frouste

Frouste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted April 01 2013 - 08:29 AM

View PostThe8BitFox, on April 01 2013 - 01:41 AM, said:

A good point about having EOC and Heat, I'll remove Heat. Having EOC as secondary seems a bit too wild, and also the reason the Tag Beam is secondary is because it is the unchangeable weapon slot. If I made the EOC secondary, a player would be stuck with it, even if they didn't like it.

I practically stated that the EOC get changed to fit the concept of the secondary, not become the secondary as is.

EOC Tracker: This weapon launches tracking beacons to the mecha they hit instead of actually dealing explosive damage (aside from damage they'd deal just landing on the mech).  Slow reload (rate of fire) because ammo is somewhat limited (If used, I'd say this as game lore; by limited, we mean expensive) for this weapon.
Weapon utility alters the behavior and strength (but not ROF) of the tracking pucks.  The puck will track even enemy mecha direction, but for half the time the default puck would.

The slow ROF will punish players for missing, and the utility is to let them weigh how they wish to be helpful.  "Do I want to tag a guy's location and altitude until I can fire the puck again, or do I want to give them direction as well_"

Edited by Frouste, April 01 2013 - 08:32 AM.

"... And I gazed once more unto the looking glass, but with a clear and unclouded will..."

#13 theUntoldLegend

theUntoldLegend

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted April 01 2013 - 11:54 AM

have a a idea for a new mech    Name: Eagle     Class: A    Primary: Slug Rifle Secondary: Mini Flak Cannon    Ability: Eagle Eye      THE PRIMARY WEAPONS   Default: Slug Rifle   Alternate: Sabot Rifle     Prestige: Assault Rifle    THE SECONDARY WEAPONS Default: Mini Flak Cannon   Alternate: Tow Launcher   Prestige: Seeker   THE NEW ABILITY (EAGLE EYE) !  its a zoom in ability when activated it allows you to see through smoke but here arent a lot of smoke in hawken but it has a new offensive item called the SMOKE GERNADE that many have said the smoke covers you the enemies cant see you but you and your teammates can the smoke lasts the same seconds as the shield when the smoke is covering you and you activate your ability and zoom in you can see through the smoke then (I think its cool idea for a mech so tell me what you think of the mech idea

#14 Taw_Archangel

Taw_Archangel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted April 01 2013 - 09:43 PM

So I like the idea of the item... But I no more sniper mechs....
I am known as a few names. Sicarius_X, PilotError, and Archangel. Also, C-class master race ;)
Posted Image

#15 Frouste

Frouste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts

Posted April 02 2013 - 07:46 AM

If there were to be another sniper mech, I'd say it'd be a heavy for the sake of heavy users.  Beyond that, no more snipers.

But a smoke grenade_  There's a thread on it already.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Community, Forum, Patch, Preview, Beta, Project

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users