HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

More Maps - more variety

Beta Forum Game Patch

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 WarProtocol

WarProtocol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationBattlefield

Posted April 01 2013 - 10:34 AM

I think I'm saying that for everyone, and I'm sure that our beloved Hawken Development Team is working on it.
We need more maps.

The more the better!
I'd love to see at least 4 new maps in the next major update.

May I suggest more climate variety_
So far we got towns, a desert and Origin is sort of futuristic, infected by this plauge mentioned in the comics (Don't remember the proper name of it now, I'm sorry).

I would love to see some icy worlds, snow, ice, maybe even add a wather condition, such a randomly featuerd blizzard, that would limit visibility and add some radar interfierence... :-)
Maybe some forest area as well.

This could also expand into maps that have certain conditions.
You could make a moon-like map! We could see a black sky with stars, reduce gravity on that map, so when You jump or fly, the heights are ridiculous - yet another dimension added to the game!.

Another suggestion - make maps with a night time.
You could add lights to the mechs, maybe even upgrades to the strenght and / or lights number.
Darkness would also be a factor that would make a match more challenging.

If any of you pilots have some ideas about new maps, please share them with us :-)

WarProtocol.

P.S.
I apologize, if there has been a post about new maps in the past.
I couldn't see such a post, hence this one.
HWK_Wallpaper1440x900.jpg
PL-1683:Obliteratus - Rocketeer
L2: Spark  - Scout
L2: Thunder Wasp - Reaper
"War, war never changes..." Touche!! :D

#2 xXHadronCutterXx

xXHadronCutterXx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  • LocationBelgrade, Serbia

Posted April 01 2013 - 10:44 AM

I would love night time and snowy maps, but I think you're asking a bit too much, 4 maps in one update is unreasonably high. They said they would release a new map every 3-4 months, which is fair enough given the time it takes to think up of, design, model, skin and balance a map. We're getting Facility and Valkyrie (Front Lines) in the neat future, expanding our map count to 6. It doesn't sound much, but it will definately be a breeze of fresh breath for this game.

Get your hard on.

#3 TeknoFrog

TeknoFrog

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted April 01 2013 - 11:15 AM

Agreed it needs more maps, hopefully as you said, of different terrain and styles. I don't know how often content updates are, but if they are every 3-4 months then hopefully it will be at least 2 more maps.

#4 WarlordZ

WarlordZ

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted April 01 2013 - 12:19 PM

I'd definitely love to see a snowy map at some point.  Random blizzards sound like a terrible idea though.  The mech warrior community likes that sort of thing, but I think players in Hawken would hate having the map interfere with them like that.

A forest map sounds iffy.  Either we need to be tearing through trees like lamp posts or they need to be huge.  Lots of small trees would make movement annoying, a few big trees would be really bizarre though it could work (alien trees I guess).

Low-grav map on the moon_  Interesting.  It wouldn't be as bad as the blizzard, but it would result in a very different metagame than in other maps because it would affect mech movement so much in an extremely movement-based game.

Fighting at night might be fun, but there's a big question of "how dark is too dark_"  You can't actually make it dark enough that people struggle to see each other unless you add lights to all of the mechs.

#5 Gree

Gree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 508 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted April 01 2013 - 12:25 PM

Well, if they give us incredible maps like the current ones, I don't mind if it takes a long time to develop.
Hawken has the best maps for fps that I ever seen, and I want them to keep this level of quality ;)

#6 Houruck

Houruck

Final Siege Boss

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,190 posts
  • LocationBudapest, Hungary (UTC+2)

Posted April 01 2013 - 01:03 PM

View PostWarProtocol, on April 01 2013 - 10:34 AM, said:

So far we got towns, a desert and Origin is sort of futuristic, infected by this plauge mentioned in the comics (Don't remember the proper name of it now, I'm sorry).
HAWKEN virus.

The next patch will include the textured Valkyrie (with a new name).

Posted Image

There is actually "leaked" info about a forest and a moon map. Dynamic weather is more suitable for a simulator.

View Post[HWK]TJ, on March 30 2013 - 01:57 AM, said:

I really want to do this (and weather, lightning, thunder, etc I love that fuzzy bunny - did it in all my Reality Engine demos). I'm going to hack it in and test. It'll probably look bad without a "night" lighting/emissive pass over the maps from the art team, but won't hurt to take a look.

Knight of the Holy Tree

CRITICAL ASSIST
United in Diversity, Divided by Zero

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Spoiler

#7 tman7919

tman7919

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,247 posts
  • LocationIn the garage with my Bruiser

Posted April 01 2013 - 06:57 PM

4 more maps in a major update! You're lucky we got two in a row...
Bruiser or Bust! (Why do I have a raider in this picture_)
Posted Image
My Youtube With Hawken Videos   Hawken Fan-fiction

#8 Teljaxx

Teljaxx

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,448 posts
  • LocationIn the thick of 8;;8

Posted April 02 2013 - 12:40 AM

I had an interesting idea for a map a little while ago. A forest map that is mostly Redwood sized trees, and that is half taken over by the Giga-Structure. So it has natural trees in one half, and metallic trees in the other. Add a few bunkers here and there and a base camp at one end for extra cover, and maybe a small cave somewhere. Then for team games, one team starts in the base camp and the other in the Giga-Structure, and the AA and missile silos are part of some of the bunkers in the middle. It could make for some interesting multi-path tactics for team games, and lots of cover for close quarters battles.
Always on the move / My trigger finger itches / If it moves, shoot it!  Posted Image8;;8

#9 KOS_Baconman

KOS_Baconman

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 526 posts
  • Locationsaving money..

Posted April 02 2013 - 07:00 AM

they should make "night" versions of every map, so it would be dark and stuff, and to counter the darkness there could be headlights- upgrade-able light that go on your mech (kinda like how your repair drone upgrades)
Posted Image

#10 Frouste

Frouste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted April 02 2013 - 07:55 AM

Repair drones don't upgrade, what are you talking about_
Night combat should have flood lights that can be turned on and off.

Also, inclement weather coming in at inopportune moments_  I love it, especially the blizzards.  I always found that snowy places in real life are incredibly intriguing for me.
"... And I gazed once more unto the looking glass, but with a clear and unclouded will..."

#11 WarProtocol

WarProtocol

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationBattlefield

Posted April 05 2013 - 07:15 AM

@Frouste
Yeah! I know, right_
You are the first person who gave a positive feedback on this.
Randomly appearing wather conditions, that would slightly limit vision and provide some minor interfierence to the radar would be a great variety, a sort of more difficult map for both teams or deathmatch players.
Why people are afraid of it_ Surely experienced pilots would enjoy this obstacle, it would only add to the game.
HWK_Wallpaper1440x900.jpg
PL-1683:Obliteratus - Rocketeer
L2: Spark  - Scout
L2: Thunder Wasp - Reaper
"War, war never changes..." Touche!! :D

#12 Frouste

Frouste

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, USA

Posted April 05 2013 - 03:15 PM

There's a downside to everything, and I prefer to keep my eyes open to both the benefits and the negatives.

There has to be more work done in the mapping department without causing a BSP hole to form...

For those who don't know, BSP holes are effectively bottomless pitfalls that form when too many events (like sounds, door triggers, etc.) are in close proximity and/or numerous in the map.  But that's why we're beta testing, plus I'm unsure as to whether Epic addressed this issue in the two updates of its engine.  Having spent a fair amount of time around coders and mappers from the original Unreal's community, I've picked up on the jargon they threw about.
"... And I gazed once more unto the looking glass, but with a clear and unclouded will..."

#13 DrLogic

DrLogic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted April 25 2013 - 07:55 PM

I would like to see a map where you and your buddies are on a moving open-roof ship transporting nano cavorite or vitrolium to a destination and are attacked by another ship from the opposing corp be it Sentium or Prosk.  You have to fight the enemy from boarding you by using the ship guns and or just finding the right strategy to bomb down the invading enemy ship before they can overtake you.  You could have some simple movement effects in the air, floating particles etc. to give you the sense that the ship you're on is actually moving without causing too much lag in fps etc.

#14 Galeocerdo

Galeocerdo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted April 28 2013 - 01:54 PM

Some ideas for maps :  an old big city, abandonned and covered by vegetation like jungle (some water would be fun too !).  A map on a very big starship, with big turrets and a saturn-like planet in the background. And a simple but more realistic immersion would be an external temperature indicator. In °C and °F, dont' forget. On some planet, temperature is very low or very high (no atmosphere)   ... i hope it would help developers. They make hawken a very impressive game. Sorry for my English, i'm french !    gmore m  abandonna

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beta, Forum, Game, Patch

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users