HAWKEN servers are up and our latest minor update is live!
Forgot Password_ SUPPORT REDEEM CODE

brawler or rocketeer.

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 DieselCat

DieselCat

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  • LocationSunny South Florida

Posted May 12 2013 - 01:39 PM

I have 2 lvl 25 mechs, a CR-t and a Scout. I really like them both, mainly the Scout because I want to play a CQC style...but I'm really not that good at it, I just need a lot more practice.  
I have an assortment of other mechs at various lvl stages,  one of which is my Cupcake, which I really love but again I need a lot more practice with the GL to be really effective with it.
So after reading and listening to many of the Pros/Cons discussions about the Brawler I decided to finally give it a try a few weeks back. After getting the feel of playing more fat and slow as opposed to the A/B classes, I think I have truly found my real Mech calling in Hawken. My overall scores have got much better, though I was also starting to get a better hang on my Scout and CR-T before I made a switch.
I am still a long way off from reaching the higher ranking levels but my recent scores with the Brawler show a vast improvement in my game play which I have to attribute to the play style of this C Class mech.  
I just reached a lvl 20 with most optimization Points in offence and a few in defense. My primary is the SA Hawkins, offensive weapon : detonator, Support Item : Shield, Offensive internal : Armor Piercing Munitions, Defensive Internal : Armor and Functional Internal : Thrusters.
I'm not sure if this is an optimal combination but so far it's worked well and I'll keep experimenting with different items.
If anyone has some good suggestions, please let me know.

As of now I really didn't know what I was missing out on in using the Brawler, it's really made this game the most enjoyable to date for me.

Oh...and I have had success in the turret mode when used in the correct situations with my team (I have been playing exclusively DM) Haven't really played much MA or Siege mode since the closed beta....As of right now...C Mechs are rocking for me :)

*+  
Posted Image
Just Relax...and take life one game at a time...

#42 Steve_Deagler

Steve_Deagler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted May 12 2013 - 02:05 PM

Brawler or Rocketeer_ Depends somewhat on the map, but also whether or not you know your strengths and weaknesses. They're basically complete opposites. I can't really tell you anything about the Brawler that Saturnine hasn't already said in his post lol.

When you're playing Rocketeer you want to keep everybody away from you so your Hellfires have time to home in on your target, Raiders and Scouts are basically your worst nightmare, and you should prioritize killing them if they move anywhere near you. Try to hold the high ground without exposing yourself too much, watch your flank constantly (throwing down a turret really helps), and focus on helping your teammates, even if they are overzealously charging to their doom, you can usually help them get that one kill to make up for their death with a couple seekers and a salvo of Hellfires as support.

#43 Krellus

Krellus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted May 12 2013 - 02:11 PM

I love playing my Rocketeer and Brawler. But. In a game where mobility, repositioning (offensive and defensive) and the capacity to "Dodge now! NOW!" is so important, i feel like the edge is mostly with A and B classes over C. I've seen plenty of good players do well with C class. But they tend to do even better with A class, more of the time.

C classes would be assisted by a much quicker and mobile map function (more so than quicker classes would benefit). More info on where the enemy is would help C class position better/mitigate a bad positioning decision.

Edited by Krellus, May 12 2013 - 02:15 PM.

#44 SGTMatt

SGTMatt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationPacific North West

Posted May 12 2013 - 04:05 PM

I may be a n00bl3t saying this, but don't discount the SA Hawkin either. I am no where near that good at all and vary between the top of the Score/assist or the most death board but the SA is ok when it is boosted enough. I have everything in my firepower and movement and it seems to server me well.

I am alright at CQC but I can just damage the hell out of people at range. The SA can peck away at people to the tune that they hardly notice where it is coming from at range till they are nearing 50% which makes them fodder for team mates.

I don't fear much at close quarters unless I am facing down more then one mech. Then I just try to do as much as I can before I die if there is no cover or chance to get away.

I like the A and B class mechs but there is something about the brawler that just makes me happy. I was a tanker in the army for 8 years and this mech just feels right to me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users